Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 27 of 38
 keshire
04-28-2005, 3:55 AM
FYI, Kotor Tool works (after a fashion) with Jade Empire, but there are quite a few unsupported file types and no sign of a nwscript.nss file.

I'll actually fill in what I know... (which is most likely small in comparison)

according to nwn explorer.

uncategorized files?

.BC3 = xbx
.BC4 = ??? sound
.BC8 = ?mdx?
.BC9 = dds

.dlg
.mdl
.cre -> header = CRE V3.2
.are -> header = ARE V3.28
.ncs -> header = NCS V1.0B
.qst -> header = QST V3.28
.txi
.tga
.sav -> header = SAV V3.28

data/Players.mod
(Models, skins, ??)

n_dawn_.mdl 41k ->Binary Model
n_dawn_.BC8 162k -> Binary Animation??
n_dawn01.BC9 43k ->DDS skin map

BC4's are located in data/bips/j00h_dstar0.mod

You'll notice some of the "shared" mdl's have 0 byte bc8's and no bc9's.

Am I missing anything obvious?

These files are listed as .unk (unknown in KOTOR TOOL). The tool also doesn't see rims or mods.

I've seen no source scripts. And no compiled nwnscript.ncs

Have a temp forum up at fable.lanpirates.net for anyone interested.

sorry for the hijack. :)
 darthmaster50
04-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Question:
When im editing utc files i can't save. The editor box is to big for my screen so i can't save the file. How do I fix this?
 Darkkender
04-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by darthmaster50
Question:
When im editing utc files i can't save. The editor box is to big for my screen so i can't save the file. How do I fix this?

You have to adjust your screen settings. 1024x768 will work fine. Kotor Tool has fixed window sizes that will extend off screen if you use 800x600 window settings.

Hint: Fred maybe a later release might play nice with those people that have a hard time with the higher resolutions. Such as the gff editor windows being able to scroll if you resize them?
 darthmaster50
05-01-2005, 1:31 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
You have to adjust your screen settings. 1024x768 will work fine. Kotor Tool has fixed window sizes that will extend off screen if you use 800x600 window settings.

Hint: Fred maybe a later release might play nice with those people that have a hard time with the higher resolutions. Such as the gff editor windows being able to scroll if you resize them?
Thx Darkkender for the advice. You making any new modes?
 Darkkender
05-01-2005, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by darthmaster50
Thx Darkkender for the advice. You making any new modes?

Sorta I had started a couple 3 mod projects then I got detoured with many different things. Now I'm kinda waiting on the newer version of Kotor Tool before I proceed as it's got some fixes and features I would find handy. Not too mention I've been having a really bad bout of "Adult Attention Deficit Disorder" lately.
 Fred Tetra
05-04-2005, 9:11 PM
Hey Darkkender - thanks for the generous donation!

There was a slight lag in delivery, as I moved just after you sent it, but it arrived just fine.
 Darkkender
05-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
Hey Darkkender - thanks for the generous donation!

There was a slight lag in delivery, as I moved just after you sent it, but it arrived just fine.

Your welcome, I guess the next time I send another donation I should make certain to get an updated address, EH.

I'll admit though that I was less than happy I couldn't send more when I did. Especially in comparison to the work you put forth for all of us.
 Fred Tetra
05-06-2005, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Your welcome, I guess the next time I send another donation I should make certain to get an updated address, EH.

I'll admit though that I was less than happy I couldn't send more when I did. Especially in comparison to the work you put forth for all of us.

As with everyone else, you're always welcome to send further donations in the future; I won't complain! :D
 Darkkender
05-06-2005, 11:13 PM
As with everyone else, you're always welcome to send further donations in the future; I won't complain! :D

I didn't think you would Fred.;)
 Arjaes
05-09-2005, 7:28 AM
A new version of Kotor Tool has been sent to VIP users* today.

v1.0.1927.26112 (2005-4-12 13:30) (VIP release)

* Fixed bug in Module editor that was causing it to not find Mapinfo.bfd file

* VIP users are those who have made a contribution in support of Kotor Tool.

This is exactly what is happening when I try to use the module editor. Do you intend to release this for non-VIPs? I've only just consider moding KotOR and so am not a VIP.
 Darkkender
05-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Arjaes
This is exactly what is happening when I try to use the module editor. Do you intend to release this for non-VIPs? I've only just consider moding KotOR and so am not a VIP.

Fred has been relatively silent of late as he has been actually playing the game for himself. However I have a hunch his next full release of Kotor Tool may include a variety of bug fixes. I would recomend going ahead and continuing to make use of KT's other features and have your module editing plans saved for a future release. There are still alot of other roadblocks in editing a module area map & model at this time anyways.
 Liverandbacon
05-09-2005, 4:34 PM
How much is an acceptable donation? I'm wondering whether to give one because of all the great work Fred does on Kotor Tool, but I do not have much money right now.
 Keiko
05-09-2005, 7:06 PM
Me too:(
 Darkkender
05-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Liverandbacon
How much is an acceptable donation? I'm wondering whethere to give one because of all the great work Fred does on Kotor Tool, but being 12, I do not have much money.
Originally posted by DarthSmallz
Me too :(

Any donation might be considered acceptable. I would recommend for those low on cash or that are very young maybe a $10 donation. I'm sure Fred would apreciate whatever you send him. Plus if you send him a nice thank you card with it I'm sure that will show him how much you apreciate him even if you can't send as much as you would like.

Fred, if I'm full of it don't take it out on these youngsters.;)
 T7nowhere
05-09-2005, 11:55 PM
There are other ways to show support and to say thank you.
 svцsh
05-10-2005, 1:58 AM
I agree T7 there are many ways to be helpful you can help making tut’s, help laying out modules to make maps for module editing and maybe one day creating new area’s from scratch .. Giving of your self like most of us do all the time, we don’t do it for financial gain, hell I could sell my work since it is mine. But I don’t instead I freely give it away.

Modding and money should never go together, just my 2 cents.

svцsh
 General Kenobi
05-10-2005, 7:29 AM
Originally posted by svцsh

Modding and money should never go together, just my 2 cents.

svцsh

Couldn't have put it better myself. :D
DM
 darthmaster50
05-12-2005, 9:13 PM
Money + Modding= bad results or as this animation shows
:fire3: + :fire2:= :explode:
 Jeff
05-16-2005, 5:40 PM
I am getting a "an unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue..." error. Now this error is no new thing for me, it does this almost every time I open a .uti file. But until now I have never gotten one for a .2da file. It keeps coming up! I cannot open the file I need to. Is something wrong with the file? Any way around this?
 StormTrooper789
05-17-2005, 6:02 PM
AHA! I have discovered Fred's real name!!!!:evil2: :evil2:

T7 edit: whats the point of this?! Don't spam.

Now you people understand Darth333 edit:
I'm so evil!
 Achilles
05-17-2005, 9:35 PM
That has to be the single most unthoughtful, inconsiderate act that I have witnessed in some time. I hope that when the gravity of what you have done hits you, you at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself. So much for Fred's right to anonymity...

Welcome to my ignore list.
 Doc Valentine
05-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, I seem to remember Fred telling me not to disclose any of his personal information, including his name to the public when I gave him my donation and he gave me his billing information. That probably wasnt the smartest thing to do.
 Lorden Darkblade
05-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Truth is, I don't wanna be rude, but some people just do anything to get attention.
What can you possible gain by doing that man?
 Darth333
05-17-2005, 10:52 PM
ok guys, it has been dealt with. Back on topic now ;)
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
05-18-2005, 1:18 PM
I am trying to learn how to mod kotor and I am having trouble getting the kotor tool to work like the tutorials show.
I can't seem to acces any of the dropdown menus, my screen looks like this,

KotorI
[
KotorII

and that's it, I can't expand the kotorI file to work on anything in it. And when I use any of the windows in the tools section there doesn't seem to be any way to get any files into them either.
 Achilles
05-18-2005, 2:24 PM
Do you have the games installed? If not, then you'll need to install them. If so, make sure that you've set the paths for both games. KT should do this automatically, however you can also set paths by clicking on File>Manage Paths.

I hope that helps.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
05-18-2005, 3:49 PM
I do have the games installed, although TSL never did work for some reason but I only wanted to mod the original kotor, KotorI is installed and runs well, I've downloaded a few mod's and most of them work perfeclty also. After reading different tutorials I think could figure out how to do a lot of the modding described, but when I use the kotor tool it's like there is nothing to work with, just the names of the two games. I don't know how to fix this and access the files I need to mod kotor. I have a lot of ideas for weapons, recruits, missions and stuff, I just can't get started on figuring out how to make them because I must be missing something either in the download of the tool or in my use of it but I can't figure out what it is.
 Achilles
05-18-2005, 6:25 PM
Did you read my entire post or just the first sentence? ;)
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
05-18-2005, 7:39 PM
Sorry I thought that I read the whole post, I forgot about that for some reason while I was trying to figure out if my installation was the problem but I'm fairly sure that it is correct (C:\program files\Lucasarts\SWKotor,) that was the only one on that page, the second page had only one path but it was for TSL, the third page looks like this,

import path [
save path [C:\modding\Fred Tetra Kotor Tool]
image viewer [
model export path [

some of the tutorials showed a page with the main kotor directory, like I have written at the top of this, and other directories underneath it for bifs or rims or something like that but mine didn't have them. Could that be why the tool can't find any files for me to edit?
 Achilles
05-18-2005, 8:32 PM
That's exactly why. Set those paths and your KT should work just fine.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
05-18-2005, 8:59 PM
What should be in each one.
 Achilles
05-18-2005, 11:43 PM
In the first tab you should have C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR. In the second tab you should have C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2. You can click on Autodetect in both tabs to save yourself some time.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
05-19-2005, 12:14 AM
That's what I already had, what should I fill into the import image and model paths. And clicking auto detect doen't seem to do anything.
 Achilles
05-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Don't worry about those. Those won't affect your ability to mod files. When you said everything was blank I'd assumed that you meant the game paths too. Why don't you PM me a screen shot of what you do have/can see and we'll stop cluttering up this thread. If we do find a resolution, we can post it here for others with similar problems. If not we'll let everyone know and someone else can take a crack at it. Fair enough?
 darthrichard
07-11-2005, 2:47 PM
Installation
------------

Copy the files contained in the ZIP archive to the Kotor Tool Maps directory,
typically "C:\Program Files\Fred Tetra\Kotor Tool\Maps".

Getting started
---------------

To try out the Module editor, let us assume you want to work with the South Apartments
on Taris, which is the tar_m02aa set in the KotOR I | RIMs | Modules tree.

1) Open the treeview to KotOR I | RIMs | Modules
2) Locate the node named tar_m02aa.rim
3) Right-click on the node and select "Extract for Module editing"
4) In the Browse for Folder dialog, create a new folder for the module files and select it.
5) After extraction is complete, you will be prompted to decide whether the module editor will
open to the extract folder. Choose "Yes"
6) Click the Module editor button on the main Kotor Tool window
7) The folder you extracted to should be selected. If not, do so. Click OK.
8) You will be prompted to select the KotOR version, select KotOR I.
9) Assuming you copied both the mapm02aa.map and mapm02aa_lg.map files to the Map directory,
you will be prompted to select the map resolution. If you have a larger monitor, select "Yes".
Some modules have just a high or low resolution map, in this case it will automatically use it.
10) Edit the module. For example, drag a Creature from the right-hand tree to the map, then click the Save button.
11) Choose "Save" from the File menu to save your changes to the .git file.
12) Copy the contents of your Module Project folder to KotOR's Override folder or use the
"Copy Project to Override Folder" menu item.
13) Load up KotOR and warp or walk to the Taris apartment ring where the Hideout is.

Remember, the Module editor is a Work-In-Progress. No real support for it can be offerred at this time.

Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Developer
2005-3-8

__________________________________________________ __

ok...ur instruction for module editing dont work...u cant rite click the node and click *extract for module editing
 RedHawke
07-11-2005, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by darthrichard
ok...ur instruction for module editing dont work...u cant rite click the node and click *extract for module editing
By Fred Tetra
Remember, the Module editor is a Work-In-Progress. No real support for it can be offerred at this time.
Sorry, but that program is a work in progress, and is yet to be complete, Fred only was able to map out a few of the areas in KOTOR I to be useable, so this program is of limited use.

Until then it is up to the tried and true GFF Editor to make new areas (Read: re-use modules for new areas).

If this is your first mod, making a module is not for novice modders, you should likely start with simpler mods and work your skillset up until you are able to do a mod like this.

Of course if you are allready knowledgeable in scripting, utp's, utm's, utc's, etc. then please ignore my ramblings. ;)
 General Kenobi
07-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Just curious as to if anyones heard from Fred as of late? Wondering if he's gonna keep updating KOTORtool.
 Darkkender
07-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Darth Melignous
Just curious as to if anyones heard from Fred as of late? Wondering if he's gonna keep updating KOTORtool.

While I would love to have the answer to this, I don't. I however suspect that we shall not see Fred around again. He has not been on the board since the incident earlier in this thread by Stormtrooper768. I think he has chosen to wash his hands of the Holowan due to that incident. I and a couple others have tried sending him emails and gotten no response as well.
 Lorden Darkblade
07-12-2005, 12:07 AM
What incident was that?
I see people talking but I don't remember of it!!
What happened?!
 tk102
07-12-2005, 12:07 AM
So even VIP members aren't getting updates? I thought money talks...

I still see Fred peek in on the forum though. Hi Fred :waive1:

But you know, KotOR Tool is pretty complete... module editing (including new walkmesh deciphering) was where he left off and that was big piece to bite into. I don't know how far along he got there but I believe a lot of the maps were done with the help of others, so... :giveup: That sure would have been a sweet addition to KotOR Tool though.
 Emperor Devon
07-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Uchiha Itachi
What incident was that?
I see people talking but I don't remember of it!!
What happened?!

If you want to know what happened, I can give you a link to that via PM... I don't want to provide a link to that in this thread, since Fred might come back, and I don't think anyone wants to remind him about it.
 Lorden Darkblade
07-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Don't mind Devon, I found it.
I was away when it all happened... And a friend of mine that comes here explained.
Man... it just pisses anyone off. :( :(
 General Kenobi
07-12-2005, 12:49 AM
I read that up there but thought maybe it got snipped by D333 or T7 before to long up. I have no clue what purpose that would serve. Well I feel for Fred man that sucks. I won't ask any more than that :D

I agree Ktool is kewl as is. I don't know what I'd do for modding without it. ;) Heck I always start with opening that up...lol

I'm pondering using it to try modding the K1 game. I hope the .uti, .utc and all that good jazz are pretty much the same.

DM
 Jeff
07-12-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm pondering using it to try modding the K1 game. I hope the .uti, .utc and all that good jazz are pretty much the same.
Don't worry, they're quite similar. KT works the same way with K1 as it does for tsl.
 RedHawke
07-12-2005, 3:26 AM
KT is fully compatable with KOTOR I, all it's built-in functions were originally made for that game... not TSL.
 darthrichard
07-12-2005, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by tk102
So even VIP members aren't getting updates? I thought money talks...

I still see Fred peek in on the forum though. Hi Fred :waive1:

But you know, KotOR Tool is pretty complete... module editing (including new walkmesh deciphering) was where he left off and that was big piece to bite into. I don't know how far along he got there but I believe a lot of the maps were done with the help of others, so... :giveup: That sure would have been a sweet addition to KotOR Tool though.

can u pm me it?
 Darth333
07-12-2005, 2:15 PM
Kotor tool is available from fred's website: http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html)

To get an overview of the existing modding tools and what they do, check this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143421)
 Fred Tetra
08-01-2005, 4:22 PM
Hi folks!

I'm sorry I haven't had much time to work on Kotor Tool or check emails!

We've been pretty busy at work lately, trying to get a product release out before the end of July. With that hanging over my head, I've been suffering from programmer burn-out. I just haven't felt like coding or forum-ing in a while. Most of my evenings have been spent watching a bit of the TV before going to bed early.

I have made some updates to Kotor Tool to support the TSL Restoration project as well as a few other minor fixes from time to time, but I haven't been able to put out a complete release just yet. Real Soon Now... really!

Also, while I can't take the time right now to respond to all of the email I found in my box, please let me say "thanks" for all of your kind comments and concern. I'm doing more or less well, but spare time has been very limited. I did finally take a vacation, as well, though the sometimes 118 degree (F) heat indices made it a bit toastier than chilled-server-room Fred is used to! :)

See you all around!
 tk102
08-01-2005, 4:24 PM
Welcome back Fred! It's nice to see a post from you again even if you don't have time for KotOR Tool right now. You're a wealth of information regardless. :)
 Darth333
08-01-2005, 4:37 PM
Good to hear from you Fred! :) We were starting to get worried about you... Take all the time you want/need: after all, we're here to have fun! It's nice to see around, even if it's not for coding. :)
Page: 27 of 38