Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

IMPROTANT! For all making new maps!

Page: 1 of 1
 Vile
11-30-2003, 4:06 PM
please make this sticky or better.

To all people that are making new maps please dont include copy vehicles as in I have seen MANY new map .pk3's with swoop2 and AT-STx and stuff like that, all you are doing is screwing up people like me's base folders with the 12 vehicle limit. Yes there is a limit, you can have only 12 different vehicles in your base folder (if you have the map kotor_flight_school than you can add 3), about that map if you make something that is brand new like kotor_ does than ok, but if you are just coping the existing ones so that they work on your map dont do it as they will work normaly. Thanks to Wade for the info on the 12 vehicle limit.

Untill we can get around this problem, map makers dont copy already made vehicles it just hurts the people that play your map and maby even you.

(NOTE: when you go over 12 you get this when you try and play a map with an vehicle on it)

'Vehicle extentions (*.veh) too large"
 WadeV1589
11-30-2003, 4:49 PM
Speaking of me :p

An associate of mine is currently modifying the released code to fix a lot of the limits it has as well as adding a few new things in. I won't say I'm doing it cuz in the end I just point out a few of the .c files and what lines to change and he does the rest.

Anyway I am hoping he'll agree with me to release it as open source so future mods can use it if they haven't done it already kind of like an unofficial JASDKv2.

If there are any reasonable requests for this minor update for JA then post them here, I guarantee you though, any posts about "I don't like this so change it to this" will be ignored; there will be no modification of backwards rolls, no modification of kata limits or anything like that. Say you think a new force level like "Jedi God" should be in so you can max out all force powers for some pretty insanely power based games, then it will be listened to - this is actually going in to make it easier to specify max force powers...he refuses to call it "Wade" instead of "Jedi God" though...oh well :( ... lol ;)
 Vile
11-30-2003, 5:04 PM
how about making new force powers like levitate (yourself or another object), a special form of force push that causes like a big blast of force push around you (costs 100 force points or whatever they are called) and the level can determine how powerful the blast and the radius of the bast is. that is all I can think of for new force powers atm will post more if I can think of more.
 WadeV1589
11-30-2003, 5:45 PM
That's not a mini-mod :p That's a whole new force power.
 Vile
11-30-2003, 5:51 PM
my point.....
so your only modifing things ok, Iwill do the all new force powers myself later on :)
 WadeV1589
11-30-2003, 6:31 PM
And you'll be able to do them on this codebase, so be sure to hold off until it's released! Save you work and then your mod will have all the fixes/features of this one :)
 Scotty79
11-30-2003, 8:49 PM
me = asociate

source will most certainly be released any code i ever right is released on demand
 razorace
12-01-2003, 9:38 AM
I suggest you submit any work you do to the Open Jedi Project. It's basically the unofficial patch you describe with a good amount of modder support already behind it.

You can check it by looking thru the OJP forums here (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=542).
 Vile
12-01-2003, 1:06 PM
Wade and Scotty I suggest we all go over to the OJP as they may be the best thing to do combining all of our talents :)
 MWKhyronJinn
12-01-2003, 8:07 PM
Hi! First Post here, just saying hi!! Thank you for giving me this notice, even though i dont make maps, :P! Well, this will really help me because ill be able to understand what to do. btw i have seen some mappers add the pk3s seperately, is this ok or will it still mess up? TY!
 Vile
12-01-2003, 8:51 PM
normally a map should come in one single .pk3 file. In there is the map, extra textures/shaders, any new models, NPC's, and even new weapons and changes, the map image for the loading screen, and music and custom sounds, if you have any.
 lauser
12-03-2003, 3:55 PM
Okay about the whole 12 vehicle limit.....Can we get more SPECIFIC details on that? You mean I can only add a maximum of 12 to my map or that if one map already has 4 NPC_vehicles and another has 6 and one has 6 for 16 in total then I can't play them because they wont show up?. I mean everything on all of my maps works so far except for the MATRIX map. But the other maps which have a total of much more than 16 I can play and spawn as many vehicles as I want. So I need more info on 12 vehicle limit please.:confused:
 WadeV1589
12-03-2003, 5:13 PM
When the game loads, every piece of text that you may need in that game is pre-cached. So all the saber hilts, models, vehicles, everything you create a text file for and can call up mid-game is cached. You don't have to have them in the map for the data about them to be loaded.

The limit on vehicles is the maximum number of unique vehicle entries you can have in the base folder. So in base you can have only 12 unique new vehicle information files.

During a game you can spawn the same 12 vehicles as many times as you want, so you could spawn the same 12 vehicles 5 times if your PC will handle it (and if JA can cope).

It has to be said though, the limit isn't actually 12 vehicles. It's a size in bytes, this is the code in which you'll notice the error we all know:

if ( totallen + len >= MAX_VEHICLE_DATA_SIZE ) {
Com_Error(ERR_DROP, "Vehicle extensions (*.veh) are too large" );
}

Each time a .veh file is loaded, its file size is added to all previous veh files and compared to the maximum allowed vehicle data size. If this is passed, the vehicles stop loading at that point and the error is given.
 razorace
12-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Wait a sec....The data isn't filtered from the files into a vehicle data structure?
 Neo_Knight
12-09-2003, 8:31 PM
I found this in bg_vehicles.h

} vehicleInfo_t;

#define VFOFS(x) ((int)&(((vehicleInfo_t *)0)->x))

#define MAX_VEHICLES 16 //sigh... no more than 64 individual vehicles

Don't know if it's what i'm thinking.
 WadeV1589
12-09-2003, 11:06 PM
The limits it seems were imposed for the XBOX, it's being worked on over at my end to see if the limit is OK if put higher.
 Neo_Knight
12-09-2003, 11:18 PM
ok keep us informed :D
 alexx860
01-03-2004, 3:34 PM
in ja+ mod the limit is 32
 alexx860
01-03-2004, 3:36 PM
in ja+ mod the limit is 32
 razorace
01-03-2004, 7:40 PM
Ok dokie. The MAX_VEHICLES define is only part of the equation because it handles the absolute max of possible types of vehicles. However, the max that most people are hitting is involving the MAX_VEHICLE_DATA_SIZE, which is the read buffer that stores ALL the vehicle file data in one huge buffer before it's read into the vehicle data structure (where the max is controlled by MAX_VEHICLES).

The solution is to boost both the MAX_VEHICLES and the MAX_VEHICLE_DATA_SIZE to a point where it can reasonably hold the data amount of data for the MAX_VEHICLES limit.

For OJP, I've set the MAX_VEHICLES limit to 64 (x4) and the MAX_VEHICLE_DATA_SIZE to something like 0x40000 (x4). I've tested it with KOTOR FLIGHT FINAL so it does work, I'm not sure if it works for the max 64 vehicles thou.
Page: 1 of 1