Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Burned out character wounds?

Page: 1 of 3
 Proto
04-16-2003, 9:15 AM
I wonder if you noticed a small detail in character's texturing on this screensthot:

http://proto_fc.w.interia.pl/wounds.jpg)

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like burned out saber-wounds, just like in AotC when Dooku has defeated Obi-Wan. Concerning JA using inmproved Ghoul2 system used also in SoF2 it is more than possible.

Now, if so, would it just disappear after few seconds or maybe after few duels your character would look like a piece of some burned roast :D. What do you think?
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 9:35 AM
I don't know what to think. You could very well be right. in my view, painskins are long overdue for this series anyway, so it would be great to see the physical damage you're dealing out with your weapons.

Very well spotted, and thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup: ;)
 coupes.
04-16-2003, 1:06 PM
indeed, it would really be cool if you actually saw your wounds, and they would stay on until the end of the mission. But they kinda look big on the picture (if that's what it is), i think they should make them smaller.
 Boba Rhett
04-16-2003, 1:15 PM
Sweet. It sure looks like that to me. Nice find! :thumbsup:
 Crazy_dog no.3
04-16-2003, 2:58 PM
Ah, details borrowed from SOF2 and AVP2 *remembers shooting people's heads off with powerful guns*
 The Truthful Liar
04-16-2003, 3:06 PM
Why is the pretty lady breaking her leg? http://216.40.249.192/s/cwm/3dlil/sad.gif)

:P
 Jolts
04-16-2003, 3:35 PM
her leg is broke because of poor key posing and even worse character rigging.
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 4:32 PM
thats cool, and a great idea devs
 Iblis Reborn
04-16-2003, 9:16 PM
assuming thats what it really is that would be great!
kinda lets you know where you stand in a duel
if your all bloodied up and the other guy doesnt have a scratch then you would know to either put it into overdrive or die
im hoping thats what it is!
 coupes.
04-16-2003, 9:37 PM
this is not about the saber burns, but notice how none of the stances used look like they were taken from JO.

Tw'lek : duh!

bottom guy : if he's starting his swing then that's new, else it could be the end of a red stance swipe.

right guy : looks like he's gonna go "backhanded" looks cool.
 t3rr0r
04-16-2003, 9:44 PM
/me dreams of seeing a burn mark from a blaster bolt on someone's forehead
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 8:06 AM
It looks like it might be a temporary effect. The dead guys on the ground aren't showing any damage marks that I can see.

I've looked at all of the other screenshots closely, and I can't find any more showing this kind of damage effect either. We need another screenie showing this to be sure...
 Proto
04-17-2003, 8:51 AM
The dead guys on the ground aren't showing any damage marks that I can see.

Just look at the left hand of sith laying behind Twi'lek player and compare it to the one in front of her. There's also something wrong with skinning of her leg in this area :D. However I do think that it would be rather a temporary effect (especially concerning PC).

And yes, this is the only screenshot where I've spotted this "burns" so far.

And I believe that if there would be saber burns in, there is no problem to include blaster hits as well :jawa.
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Proto
Just look at the left hand of sith laying behind Twi'lek player and compare it to the one in front of her. There's also something wrong with skinning of her leg in this area :D. However I do think that it would be rather a temporary effect (especially concerning PC).

*plucks eyeballs out and gives them a quick spit and polish*

Ah yes, I can see that now. :) Thanks for pointing that out. :D

Of course, the obvious thing of notice in that screenshot is that they still haven't bothered to turn on realistic saber damage - no severed arms or heads. :( I hope it's still an option in the console - in fact, I hope they include it in the menu options this time around, so you can turn it on, and leave it permanently on. It adds a bit more realism to the game, IMHO, but it's a pain having to turn it on every time you play in JO....
 t3rr0r
04-17-2003, 4:22 PM
i think it should be a permanent effect until the corpse vanishes... seeing as in sof2, there isn't really a change in fps when there are or aren't any blood splatters on a person.
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
i think it should be a permanent effect until the corpse vanishes... seeing as in sof2, there isn't really a change in fps when there are or aren't any blood splatters on a person.

I totally agree. As the body is going to vanish anyway, it makes sense to make the damage permanent.

However, there's still the issue with your player character, and even with tougher opponents who remain alive for a long time. Will we just see the damage appear...and then a few seconds later disappear, like the saber scoring on walls? That would be a bit disappointing, IMHO. If they're going to show damage, it should remain until you kill an enemy and they vanish...and for your own character until you Heal yourself.
 shukrallah
04-18-2003, 2:32 PM
if they stay, then creatures like that rancor monster would have lots of cuts on it. but it would still be cool. most star wars r Teen games, if the sabercombat is turned on, then the age thing might go higher. it should be a menu option.
 GhostLotus
04-18-2003, 2:46 PM
Hmm i dont see how age limits would go up, in jo it was possible to cut off arms and legs(if you were extremely lucky/or had a mod on) so i dont see how saberscorchmarks are any worse.
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 9:16 AM
Guess we won't know anything until E3 so close but so far away in another galaxy :(
 StormHammer
04-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by GhostLotus
Hmm i dont see how age limits would go up, in jo it was possible to cut off arms and legs(if you were extremely lucky/or had a mod on) so i dont see how saberscorchmarks are any worse.

I'd have to agree. Lots of people know about the cheat code for realistic saber combat, so it's hardly a secret. Anyone can turn it on. Besides, if they were really worried about it, they could always implement a password-protected system for reduced gore, like they did with SOF2. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer it if they did that...then I could just turn the realistic saber damage on in the menu and forget about it.
 t3rr0r
04-19-2003, 2:00 PM
i hope that there are as many dismemberment zones in ja as there is in sof2 sp... but i doubt they'll change them. :/
 StormHammer
04-19-2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
i hope that there are as many dismemberment zones in ja as there is in sof2 sp... but i doubt they'll change them. :/

How many dismemberment zones do you want, for goodness sake? I mean, in JO you can already slice heads, hands, feet, arms, and do a mid-section slice. That's plenty for me.

I just wish they'd fix the death animations for some of those...because it's a bit odd seeing the top half and bottom half of the body keel over at the same time - it's basically the same animation for when they're not sliced in half. Making it a bit more realistic in those terms would satisfy me. :)
 t3rr0r
04-19-2003, 2:16 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
How many dismemberment zones do you want, for goodness sake? I mean, in JO you can already slice heads, hands, feet, arms, and do a mid-section slice. That's plenty for me.
personally, i'd like the ability to slice someone right down the middle. :dev7:
I just wish they'd fix the death animations for some of those...because it's a bit odd seeing the top half and bottom half of the body keel over at the same time - it's basically the same animation for when they're not sliced in half. Making it a bit more realistic in those terms would satisfy me. :)
it'd be nice if, say, for one of the midsection separations the upper body was knocked off and the legs just kinda toppled over... and for head disbemberments, it'd be cool if the head rolled depending on how powerful the swing was. :dev7:
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 8:58 PM
T3rr0r, that's sick. I like it :evil2:.
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 9:05 PM
if anyone has seen the movie Resident Evil then they should be able to slice people in little squares like the lasers did to that guy that got kill last by them :evil1:
 master_thomas
04-19-2003, 9:17 PM
I may be wrong, but didn't the dismemberment in JK2 only occur at the model joints? For the truly full dismemberment to work, there must be a huge number of joints. That could be bad for fps.
 Blademaster_109
04-19-2003, 9:31 PM
yeah dismemberment was cool
 StormHammer
04-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by SithLord13
if anyone has seen the movie Resident Evil then they should be able to slice people in little squares like the lasers did to that guy that got kill last by them :evil1:

Er...does the word 'overkill' come to mind here? :p

master_thomas...yes, I believe you're right, it was at the joints. I tend to agree that adding too many severance points would have a detrimental effect on performance. I doubt we will see realistic saber damage in MP for that reason, again...
 MattJedi
04-20-2003, 12:14 PM
I would like to see a thrust move leaving a hole!! Like Maul did to good old Qui-Gon, gotta love it!!!
 StormHammer
04-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
I would like to see a thrust move leaving a hole!! Like Maul did to good old Qui-Gon, gotta love it!!!

Now that is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:
 Toa Tahu
04-28-2003, 7:06 AM
I don't know whether anyone has noticed this or not,but notice the Twi'Lek's right arm wielding the saber,there's also a scorch mark there too.
 SettingShadow
04-28-2003, 7:16 AM
Originally posted by Toa Tahu
I don't know whether anyone has noticed this or not,but notice the Twi'Lek's right arm wielding the saber,there's also a scorch mark there too.

ehm, the right arm is zoomed in on that pic, I think almost everyone has noticed it :)
 Pedro The Hutt
04-28-2003, 8:13 AM
I think it's the Force Rage effect, they did mention that the MP only powers would now be in SP too. so my guess it's the Force Rage effect coursing through that dark Jedi apprentice person.
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 3:41 PM
thats quit cool, but he got hit by a lightsaber.... aint that armor suppose to come off :D
 StormHammer
05-02-2003, 4:55 PM
Just an FYI...the recent PCGamer article had some nice screenshots, and I found some further evidence of saber damage on the characters - so unless they decide to take it out...I reckon we'll get to see it in-game. :)

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/saberdamage1.jpg)
http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/saberdamage2.jpg)
 t3rr0r
05-02-2003, 6:41 PM
those look so cool. :D i can't wait, and by the time ja is out i'll have a new video card. :D
 MuRaSaMuNe
05-02-2003, 8:26 PM
Hmm maybe chop off someones arm to make them weaker? Or cut off their leg to slow them down... that'd be coo. :cool:
 Pedro The Hutt
05-02-2003, 10:22 PM
That would make it somewhat like Bushido Blade, and now that I look at those dark apprentice gits close up..... seems like the skin is supposed to look that way all the time. Perhaps they're now using something glowy that gives regular dark jedi person followers Force abilities O_o who's to tell at this point.
 HertogJan
05-03-2003, 7:05 AM
Woa those look great!! Now you can actually SEE when you have hit your opponent. I've had several duels were I though I hit him hard, but he didn't have a scratch :rolleyes: Now you can SEE the scratches, whoo hooo!!
 Taos
05-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks for those pics Stormy! This is one part about JO that I did not like - you couldn't see where you hit your opponent. I like being able to know that I am causing damage. It's so much more of a confidence builder to know that I'm destroying someone. :)
 Pedro The Hutt
05-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Yet again, I think it's simply part of the skin, since all the dark jedi lads seem to have the same marks on the same places (also, if you'd have a lightsaber scratch by your face you wouldn't be standing for long *points up at an earlier pic* )
 Toa Tahu
05-03-2003, 11:46 AM
But I meant to say her forearm...did anyone notice that?And,if it's not a scorch mark,what is it?
 PrimoSidone
05-03-2003, 12:02 PM
No lucasarts and raven know what we dont like.... they make stuff we do :D JA is gonna rock :D
 SettingShadow
05-03-2003, 1:03 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Yet again, I think it's simply part of the skin, since all the dark jedi lads seem to have the same marks on the same places (also, if you'd have a lightsaber scratch by your face you wouldn't be standing for long *points up at an earlier pic* )

I have to disagree about that. Look at the dead Dark Jedi lying on the ground in the first pic, no marks at all. And also, they're at diffrent parts of the body, wich means that if they were a part of the skin, they would have to make a bunch of skins with marks at diffrent places. Also, the Twi'lek also have them (and only in that pic).
 StormHammer
05-03-2003, 5:25 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt

No, nein, non, nag ydy...I really don't think so. Here's a wider view of the first pic...

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/saberdamage3.jpg)

As you can see, the other enemies haven't really been damaged yet...but if you look carefully at the damaged guy, he is wearing exactly the same costume. An unfortunate case of the clone syndrome...but there you have it. ;)
 wardz
05-03-2003, 9:34 PM
[Slightly off topic]

i know the game is in early development but I hope those people with the masks over their faces aren't the bad guys, they just look like a joke.. Bad dudes need to look...well... BAD!

W
 razorace
05-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Dynamic wounds decals are cool and all but it's not a show maker/breaker for me.
 StormHammer
05-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by razorace
Dynamic wounds decals are cool and all but it's not a show maker/breaker for me.

True, it won't make or break the game, but it's nice to have all the same. It would also be nice to see a return of realistic saber damage...i.e., limbs etc., being cut off.

wardz...good to see you posting again. ;) Yeah...you're right, they should look even meaner than they do. It's a pity we're seeing a lot of clone troopers again...I was hoping for more variety in appearance. Also, why do these enemy Jedi always have to be human-like in appearance? If we're able to choose different races to play as a Jedi, shouldn't the enemies be a good mix of races as well?
 PrimoSidone
05-04-2003, 7:44 AM
It would also be cool it that, code for limo hacking would be on default, so every server will let u chop a arm of a leg or something
 Toa Tahu
05-04-2003, 7:56 AM
Yeah,it adds up to the fun of knowing where you hit your enemy.Sometimes,it's good to know an enemy is helpless once you cut off both arms. :D
Page: 1 of 3