Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Drivable vehicles in JA?

Page: 1 of 2
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 2:44 PM
I was reading the game info on the JA website and saw this:
New vehicles, weapons and Star Wars environments enhance players Star Wars experience.
are players going to be able to drive vehicles in JA? like a T-16 skyhopper or land speeder. I think that would be sweet.:)
 CanadianSurfer
04-04-2003, 2:48 PM
Yes, that's true but the vehicles that they already announced were mainly just turrets, the others are a secret....
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 2:53 PM
STAPs would be cool. imagine a Jedi vs Merc game where all the mercs are fighting on STAPs:D
 eastcoast2895
04-04-2003, 2:54 PM
where did they reveal the turrets thing? or is that assumed cuz it was in JK2
 CanadianSurfer
04-04-2003, 2:59 PM
The interview at GamesDomain.

Here : http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/depart/apr03/jedi.html)
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 3:10 PM
Actually, in that interview, they seem to hint at several vehicles or modes of transport in the game. According to the information from the GameStar magazine article, we should also be able to ride a Taun Taun on Hoth (which I would consider to be kickass - I've always loved that part from the movies).

Have any of you played Soldier Of Fortune II? There's a road chase and a helicopter ride in that game, and it sounds like that sort of thing will be in JA.

Personally, I'd like to ride in a Luke-style Speeder, complete with annoying droids. :D A swoop-bike ride (like Anakin in Episode II) might be good too - if they include the Star Wars equivalent music of 'Bad To The Bone'. :D
 CanadianSurfer
04-04-2003, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Actually, in that interview, they seem to hint at several vehicles or modes of transport in the game.

Exactly what I said...
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 3:33 PM
a swoop would be fricken awesome. you could do drive... er, fly bys on some stupid little jawas with a heavy repeater:evil2::D not to mention flying really fast:D
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-04-2003, 4:03 PM
AT AT Mwa ha ha ha!
 Jeff 42
04-04-2003, 5:33 PM
I found the AT-ST in JO to be a bit boring. The second time I played through the game I just went on foot in that section. It would be great if JA could have some exciting, fast-moving vehicles that could be used both in SP and MP (only available on certain maps, of course). I absolutely love the vehicles in Halo.

Edit: I can't believe I said "the AT-AT in JO." :o
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 7:03 PM
just to clear things up.
AT-AT
http://www.geocities.com/mrobots2000/images/starwars/athoth.jpg)

AT-ST
http://www.randyasplund.com/asplund/modelsce/atst.jpg)

a drivable AT-AT in JA would be insane... in a good way:D
 boinga1
04-04-2003, 7:13 PM
or if not AT_AT, then perhaps the rebel equivlent from galaxtic battlegrounds
http://www.galacticbattles.com/rebels/units/mechs/Assault_Mech.jpg)
although AT-AT would be much cooler. Of course, if you drive one then the bad guys would have some, and on the grounds vs. an ATAT....[shudders] them things are freaking huge! some good shots of potential vehicles are here, click the "rebel" "empire" etc. at the top (http://www.galacticbattles.com)
 wedge2211
04-04-2003, 7:17 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
or if not AT_AT, then perhaps the rebel equivlent from galaxtic battlegrounds

Ew. :p

Vehicles would be cool...now, does this mean you get to PILOT the vehicle, or you RIDE in it and shoot at stuff outside the windows? 'Cause the second could be easily done in a JK2 mod with scripts or even a func_train. There's some game out there (forgot the name, saw a friend play it), where you play a Delta Force operator in the battle of Mogadishu, they fly you in on a Black Hawk and you get to ride in back trying to snipe targets on the ground. Still cool, but being able to comandeer one of the X-wings lying around the level to make strafing runs would be $&@))$ awesome!!!
 CanadianSurfer
04-04-2003, 7:21 PM
Being able to drive it in Multi-player would be difficult.
 ckcsaber
04-04-2003, 8:02 PM
Vehicles can be a good idea al long as they don't turn it into the "Shadows of the Empire" style of vehicle level.....
 inbredyokel
04-04-2003, 8:31 PM
Don't think there's any hope of a vehicle that flies at any kind of altitude. The map would have to be so huge for you not to see the skybox/map border that the engine itself wouldnt' be able to handle it.
 Spider AL
04-04-2003, 8:54 PM
inbredyokel, in the GD interview they say they've ported the ARIOCHE terrain system over from SoF2... I haven't played that game, but isn't ARIOCHE supposed to increase the scope for both airborne and land-vehicles?

Anyone played SoF2 and know about the terrain system?

Hmm, wonder if JA will have a random mission generator.
 Jolts
04-04-2003, 9:03 PM
with out good physics the vehicles will be horrible and boring and pointless. It won't be like driving vehics in bf1942 or halo, might lead to a little bit of fun in sp.
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 9:10 PM
I think in MP it would be harder to work in player controlled vehicles. though in SP vehicles could be part of a level, especially if there's a character you have to follow (like in Ep II when Anakin and Obi chase Zam through Coruscant), like the cars in Mafia.
 Finalnight
04-05-2003, 10:20 PM
screw the little stuff lol, lets just port the Rouge Leader Engine in and have a duel engine game like Descent III (imagining the X Wing goodness).
 Emon
04-05-2003, 10:46 PM
BF1942 physics aren't hard to match, since BF1942 physics are pure ****.

It isn't hard to get decent flight physics on the Q3 engine. And as Spider_AL said, they ported the terrain system from SoF 2. I can think of only two reasons for that:

1. Insanely huge outdoor areas.
2. Drivable vehicles such as landspeeders or airspeeders in insanely huge outdoor areas.
 Taos
04-05-2003, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see them in the game sure. If they do them....I want them done well and not done half-way. I don't know if they can incorporate that into the game....but I think they should at least try to. :)
 .:Solusar:.
04-06-2003, 4:15 AM
Also in the jk3 game it says that you can customize your own race and stuff like that.. you can customize your own saber, person, maybe vehicle.. not sure on that. but you can do a lot of now things.. Also the game includes new force powers i think..
 nova_wolf
04-06-2003, 5:05 AM
Wouldnt mind getting my hands on a starfighter for a small bit.... Show the Reborns that the Jedi rule gravity well and zero gee alike!
 wedge2211
04-06-2003, 10:28 AM
I think the x-wing is pretty far-fetched, just because of the limitations of a level. But a speeder bike/landspeeder/low-altitude airspeeder would be cool. Maybe even variants on the rebel snowspeeders, they didn't go very high. I think it could be really cool in MP, as long as there are weaknesses to exploit so you're not uber-powerful. I've often thought of the applications of an AT-ST in JK2MP...;)
 Finalnight
04-06-2003, 11:10 AM
if they didnt want you to be uber on them, they should m ake it so vehicles can be shot down/blown up.
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Vehicles would be cool. :)

Just aslong as they have health, or blow up after a limited time.

I hope they have 'interactive turrets' in MP aswell as SP.

Better have some good animations too. ;)
 master_thomas
04-06-2003, 12:35 PM
The thing is, you can have interactive, moving turrets in JO. You have a misc_panel_turret, that is moved with some sort of ship with a script. This isn't very good, the player will only be able to control the movement of the ship, it is difficult, must NOT be done in open spaces with the JO-Q3A engine, but it can be done.

Landspeeder would be nice and since it is bound to hover a little off the ground and with the SOF2 terrain system, it could work.

I wonder about the taun-taun that they specifically said in the article.

It would be...interesting if you had to hijack an AT-AT. The imperials don't have snowspeeders with harpoons.;)
 leXX
04-06-2003, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Have any of you played Soldier Of Fortune II? There's a road chase and a helicopter ride in that game, and it sounds like that sort of thing will be in JA.

I loved that level in SOF2. If they do have something like that, it would be sweet.
 nova_wolf
04-06-2003, 3:15 PM
What about a Gala Fyer thing - an exoframe / mech suit.

May be a secret could be the Dark Trooper Phase III exo-frame!

Could be like special mode and everything - one person in the frame, and everyone has to try and take him out.....

But Speeders sounds fun....

AT-ATs beware - Hoth veteran coming through! ;)
 PhantomHelix
04-07-2003, 1:09 PM
i cant wait to drive in that game....it would be awesome to stand on it, and drive it with the force, and then Frontflip off and cut some guy down.......
 eastcoast2895
04-07-2003, 1:21 PM
i think it be cool to have your personal vehicle that you travel in going between planets like what is planned in kotor
 joesdomain
04-07-2003, 4:42 PM
I think it would be cool to drive a swoop bike or speeder bike, landspeeder (like Luke's), AT-AT and/or AT-ST walker, or a AT-PT Walker.
 PhantomHelix
04-07-2003, 4:52 PM
omg, driving a swoop would be awesome! :D
 joesdomain
04-07-2003, 5:42 PM
I awesome think riding a tautaun, ronto, and a dewback would be nice. Maybe travel on a bantha or a sandcrawler.
 Pedantic
04-07-2003, 6:54 PM
They should have a part where they "find" some old vehicles so we can use vehicles from Episodes I and II. ;) :D
 Tesla
04-07-2003, 7:00 PM
maybe one of the vehicles could be like a gian speeder (EP1) with the mounted gun on top ,or a varient of that ?
 CanadianSurfer
04-07-2003, 8:51 PM
I think they're sticking to original three movie vehicles.
 nova_wolf
04-08-2003, 6:16 AM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I awesome think riding a tautaun, ronto, and a dewback would be nice. Maybe travel on a bantha or a sandcrawler.

We know that a Rnacor will be in it...

Perhaps the Ligth Side choice will allow you to ride it for a small part of the mission?
 wedge2211
04-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Witches of Dathomir mod, heh?
 toms
04-08-2003, 11:30 AM
personally, i would rather they concentrated on the FPS/TPS part of the game... things like vehicles tend to come pff as rather crummy mini-games in games like this.
The AT-ST in JK2 was a good example... it was fun for about 2 minutes, but then you realised it wasn't that well implemented.

If they do decide to add vehicles i would rather they went for a "ride along" approach, because diveable vehicles in FPS games tend to have crummy physics. :(

A sandcrawler level would be awesome... driveable vehicles... the only ones that i might want to see would be a tauntan and a snowspeeder.

I always thought an x-wing/tie-fighter meets mechwarrior style Sim with snowspeeders and AT-STs would rule... but i guess with lucasarts concentrating on the mainstream console market it aint going to happen.
 nova_wolf
04-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Witches of Dathomir mod, heh?

In reply to that suggestion...

Originally posted by ME (Jedi Academy discussion > Rancor problem-any answers? thread)
On an aside....

Rancor riding - A SWG option?

Back to topic - perhaps the one-on-one maps could include a couple of HUGE open air ones, so that you could have Rancor jousting....

A mod idea maybe....

The reply certainly showed interest!

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy (same thread)
Bwahahahaha!!!

That would be awesome!

I can imagine it now. A Jedi Knight atop his trusty Rancor steed, charging full-pelt toward a likewise mounted Sith, sabres levelled

That would be too hilarious! Really hope someone mods it
 eastcoast2895
04-08-2003, 12:53 PM
what i really want are a bunch of speeders, like a speeder bike, swoop, snow speeder, luke's landspeeder. of course all be drivable. i think it be really cool if we could see it in multiplayer, something like halo. in halo it is really fun to get in a ghost (hovering jet thing) and fly around and shoot. as long as they can get the controls right i'm happy.
 Darth Zanatos
04-08-2003, 3:39 PM
Something like Halo would be awesome... Like the Rebel Speeders from SWGB. One person drive and the other shoot. But I wouldn't mind if it was only in multiplayer. If they use it SP then they would need smarter npc's who would be able to take you down, or get in with you.
 wedge2211
04-08-2003, 4:28 PM
I'd like to see FPS combat from the perspective of a moving vehicle, that would be neat.
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 2:57 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL
Anyone played SoF2 and know about the terrain system?

Hmm, wonder if JA will have a random mission generator.

Yes, I've played SOF2. I believe Arioche was used on the levels I mentioned in my previous post - one is a car chase (which is a decent length at a fair speed), and the other is shooting at targets from a helicopter as it goes past certain installations on the ground. These levels worked quite well, IMHO, and it was a good advance from the original 'train' level in SOF1. If they can tweak it even further to make some of the movement a bit smoother, then I have high hopes for any new vehicle levels.

A random mission generator for JA would be awesome. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by ckcsaber
Vehicles can be a good idea al long as they don't turn it into the "Shadows of the Empire" style of vehicle level.....

I totally agree with you there. The snow speeder level at the start of SOTE wasn't too bad, but the other levels were quite appalling IMHO. I still haven't bothered finishing that game... :disaprove

It's a crying shame that they won't be able to do something along the lines of what Warthog have achieved in the upcoming Mace Griffin game, where you can move seemlessly from FPS combat to boarding and using a space ship, take off and ride around in space blasting everything, and then land on another larger ship and disembark seemlessly to continue whacking baddies on foot. They designed their engine specifically with this in mind, and I can't wait to play it.

I certainly can't see us taking control of ships capable of leavig a planet's atmosphere - let's face it, you'd be disappointed if you got in an X-wing and then hit an invisible 'ceiling'. My bet is that they will focus on land based vehicles, like speeders, swoops, AT-STs. Who knows, maybe even a beat up pod-racer. I'd love to get inside and explore a Sand Crawler, and then be able to steer it for a while. And the same with an AT-AT - even though I don't want to see too many Imperial entanglements in this game. :)
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 4:07 PM
i would like to get in a speeder, and or a swoop, but not an at-st again, that was hard to shoot out of, controls were bogus for that
 BrodieCadden
04-18-2003, 12:39 AM
The AT-ST in JO was alright, but it felt tacked on and the controls felt, as already said, bogus. It just didn't feel right, felt like a lame bonus level ya'know.

If they are gonna put vehicles in this, I hope they put some real effort into them and make them useful, not just lamo mini games that serve no purpose. If they don't want to put in the effort, then they should just leave 'em out all together. I don't want the game cheapened by lame vehicles.
 shock ~ unnamed
04-18-2003, 2:15 AM
A Ford Pinto would rock.
 StormHammer
04-18-2003, 7:28 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
I'd like to see FPS combat from the perspective of a moving vehicle, that would be neat.

Do you mean First Person view through a cockpit or something? If that's the case, I'd have to agree. They managed it in Red Faction, so surely it can't be that hard to implement...

As for the AT-ST...I also agree that they got the control a bit wrong, because it was hard to see where you were aiming when enemies were obscured by the vehicle. I would hope that they would correct that from 3rd person view for vehicles in JA. There's nothing more frustrating than guessing where you have to shoot.
Page: 1 of 2