Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Of the First 3 movies, Which was your Fav?

Page: 4 of 4
 DarthMuffin
08-22-2006, 1:33 PM
Wrong. The part of the TPM duel everyone is refering to is the part that the apprentice is avenging the master

After two replies, I kind of understood that. No need to say it again.

it's as "wha?" and emotionless as the OT duels. So nice try.

I fail to understand this. It's either sarcasm, or you think that all the duels are empty of emotion.
 MachineCult
08-22-2006, 1:55 PM
I fail to understand this. It's either sarcasm, or you think that all the duels are empty of emotion.
Well you definitely fail... I was giving a reason for the TPM duel not being "wha?" (..?) and emotionless, the sarcasm was clear to Nintendork, his agreeing with me should have helped you understand.
 DarthMuffin
08-22-2006, 2:00 PM
Well you definitely fail... I was giving a reason for the TPM duel not being "wha?" (..?) and emotionless, the sarcasm was clear to Nintendork, his agreeing with me should have helped you understand.

Well I'm sorry for not having understood your meaning. Not everyone is as gifted as you or nintendork.
 Valter
09-02-2006, 1:37 PM
I've always liked ROTJ the best for the final space battle and the Emperor's lightning show. (See my sig.)
 Kurgan
09-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I'll also say that ROTJ had the coolest looking lightsabers (they sounded big, powerful and heavy, and had brilliant glows, despite Lowry Digital screwing them up in the 2004/2005 DVD's, in the original versions they look fantastic and looked great in theaters in 1997 too) and the best duel (apart from Episode I that is) and the best special effects (up to that time).

It also has the greatest space battle of the series, period (the Episode III battle is too chaotic, we don't spend much time on it, and the heroes really aren't participating in the battle, just flying through it to get to Grievous' ship).

Yes, the Emperor was an over-the-top villian (much more than the subtle mysterious figure of ESB, or even the scheming politician of the prequels), but he stole the show! (and had some of the best lines) ;)

Yes, ROTJ's weakness is that it doesn't develop the main characters a huge amount (it presumes you've seen the previous two movies, or at least ESB), but it's still my favorite. Best action, and doesn't go overboard on the cute/slapstick/jokiness as Episode I would (though the Special Editions lay this on thicker and start to plunge into that territory... remember they also added some of that hokiness to ANH).

As for the TPM duel, I consider it "the best" from an action standpoint. The camera pulls back and lets us SEE so much of the fight and it's so fast and awesome that I can't help but like it. Yes, there are interruptions which are annoying as they are in the other films but still, what we see is just flat out amazing (the first battle with Qui Gon in the desert is much more traditional, I'm talking about the battle in the factory/foundry/whatever that is between the three and then when they split off and fight Maul one on one).

To everyone complaining about the second death star.. I feel your pain. But be glad you only got one (in an early script draft there were THREE new death stars!).

And yes, I agree that Lucas ought to have had Dave Prowse in makeup under the mask originally. But oh well. We got Shaw instead (a veteran actor that most kids today aren't going to be familiar with), but we ACCEPTED HIM for 21 years as the "true face" of Darth Vader/Anakin. Then suddenly Lucas wants us to believe that it's really Hayden! I much prefer the kindly old man, a "healed" version of Shaw under the mask, than that long haired hippie whiner we saw in Episode III. I don't like the way he's looking at his daughter there either...! Luke goes back to the fire thinking "who the heck was that weirdo with Yoda and Ben... he's younger than me!"
 Kurgan
09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, I have to admit, I prefer "Some" of the changes in the OT, mostly those nice cityscape and views, and some extra lifeforms in the background, and addition to some space battles.

Contrary to some, I do like the recolored 'sabers.

Are you talking about the tweaked sabers in the Vader/Obi-Wan fight in ANH and Obi-Wan in the cantina in the same movie?

Surely you're not talking about Vader's saber suddenly turning pink or orange for no reason, or Luke's turning green in ANH, then back to blue!

Commander Obi-Wan: So you're older than me (I'm 27) and you prefer the Special Editions to the originals. Did you actually see the originals first?

Just curious. ;)
 MachineCult
09-12-2006, 3:48 AM
And yes, I agree that Lucas ought to have had Dave Prowse in makeup under the mask originally. But oh well. We got Shaw instead (a veteran actor that most kids today aren't going to be familiar with), but we ACCEPTED HIM for 21 years as the "true face" of Darth Vader/Anakin. Then suddenly Lucas wants us to believe that it's really Hayden! I much prefer the kindly old man, a "healed" version of Shaw under the mask, than that long haired hippie whiner we saw in Episode III. I don't like the way he's looking at his daughter there either...! Luke goes back to the fire thinking "who the heck was that weirdo with Yoda and Ben... he's younger than me!"
Hayden is better for Anakin for one simple reason, he was Anakin. Never was Anakin a "kindly old man", he was forty five when he died! Sebastian Shaw depicted Anakin as a fat 78 year old man, which is completely inaccurate.

Anakin should have been a near middle-age man, Hayden is how he appeared in previous films, but "kindy old man" Shaw was totally off the mark and they couldn't possibly have left him in ROTJ in the DVD edits, it wouldn't make sense.

Commander Obi-Wan: So you're older than me (I'm 27) and you prefer the Special Editions to the originals. Did you actually see the originals first?

Just curious. ;)
Commander Obi-Wan is 15...
 Great Scott!
09-12-2006, 7:25 AM
Once again, well said MachineCult. My thoughts exactly.
 Kurgan
09-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Of course, that's entirely Lucas's fault for wanting to set TPM 30 years before ANH with Anakin as a little kid.

Most of us conceived of Anakin was a young man in his 20's when he "turned to evil" (about Luke's age) and then the original trilogy took place about forty years later.

Anyway, had Lucas really been consistent, he should have put Hayden in "middle age makeup" instead of just showing him as a 21 year old (complete with his male model haircut) and then making up some BS about a residual self image (that meant he got to shove his youthful prettyboy looks in the faces of Obi-Wan and Yoda for all eternity or something, heh).

Commander Obi-Wan is 15...

Then I rest my case. I thought somebody said he was older, I misunderstood. ;)
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-13-2006, 3:23 PM
Yes, I am indeed 15 years of age. I have yet to see the theatrical versions of the OT and I guess I was wrong to say that I prefer them just because I haven't seen them yet. But, when I do see the threatrical releases I will tell you if I prefer them more than I prefer the digitally remastered versions.

*Though, the main reason why I said I prefer the digitally remastered versions is because I like movies that are edited from the originally versions of them. Mainly because the picture is clearer and it generally makes the movie look more "realistic", if you know what I am saying.
 Kurgan
09-16-2006, 4:05 AM
No problem. I was just amazed that an (apparently, mistakenly of course) older fan would prefer the new versions to the old (or not have seen the original versions!).

Each to his/her own...
 Jae Onasi
09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
RotJ, hands down, because the good guys finally win. Luke finally gets to be a Jedi, Han's not a carbonite cube, the Emperor's turned into a bunch of floating electrons.
Wicket beats Jar-Jar any day, and using a stormtrooper helmet as a musical instrument at the end was very amusing.

Most of you have only seen the OT on videos/DVDs. Your longest wait between movies is the length of time it takes to pop out one DVD and put in the next.
I saw them in the theaters. You have no idea how it felt at the end of Empire to see the credits roll, leaving I don't know how many plot points hanging, and know that I had to wait 3 freakin' _years_ before I could find out what happened to Han, among other things. I don't think I ever quite forgave Lucas for doing that to me. :D

TPM duel--my favorite, too. Jedi are supposed to have worked with lightsabers for years, right? Be martial artists in that sense? The Maul vs. Obi-wan and Qui-gon was the only one that didn't scream at me 'choreography!' Ray Park's years of experience with martial arts made all the difference in the world in terms of sheer speed and skill in that fight. It didn't look like he was trying to hit their _sabers_ with his, which is a common problem in theater/film. It looked like he was trying to hit _them_ with his staff, which is what it's supposed to be. That and having grown up seeing the OT in theaters, this battle was so much faster than any I had seen in the other 3 movies that it took my breath away.
 JediLandon
09-17-2006, 1:19 PM
:duel: :duel: :duel: i like them all but if i had to pick one i would pick The Empire Strikes Back :sithk: :duel:
 Diego Varen
09-17-2006, 4:25 PM
Return of the Jedi, because Luke is finally a Jedi (Like Jae said), Han and Leia get together and Lando joins the Alliance. It was also the first Star Wars film I remember seeing.
 Qliveur
09-23-2006, 6:59 PM
ESB

Why?

1) Lucas, master of the English language ( :xp: ), did NOT write the screenplay for this film.

2) Lucas, master of the single take (no matter how poor that take may be!), did NOT direct this film.

3) No cheesy, cutesy teddy bears with rocks and spears triumphing over armored stormtroopers with blasters (though the AT-ST log traps and the speeder bike rope tricks were pretty cool).

4) Strangely enough, this is THE BEST film of the entire saga. Could this be because of 1, 2 & 3? NAAHH!

(Qliveur runs from infuriated rock-throwing Lucas fanboys :mob: )
 BattleDamage
09-24-2006, 6:28 PM
Qliveur, must agree with u on all points, ESB hands down, except I must add that seeing the empire kick some @$$ rox my sox also :P
 Emperor Devon
09-24-2006, 8:58 PM
the Emperor's turned into a bunch of floating electrons.

Or was he? Click section 1.13. ;) (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_Palpatine#Palpatine_reborn_.284_ABY.E2.80). 9311_ABY.29)

My favorite would be ESB, no questions asked. It's the darkest of the original trilogy, and it isn't mostly focused on a powerful superweapon. Having regular warships was a nice change (not to say I didn't like the Death Stars), though I would've loved it if Palpatine made some more appearances. The story felt like it was less focused on the end of the film, and the scenes with Luke and Vader were unmatched. No plot twist can match "I am your father." The Han and Leia scenes were a good touch as well, but then again, pretty much everything was. The Falcon's broken hyperdrive helped with the movie, too.

RotJ is a close second for me, though the scenes with the Ewoks were odd. Teddy bears with rocks and spears should be able to overpower the finest legion of sotrmtroopers in the whole Empire. And which had modern weapons, to boot.
 Great Scott!
09-24-2006, 9:10 PM
No, no, no expanded universe crap. It completely ruins the emotion/happiness of the RotJ ending. With all these stupid Palpatine clones all over the place, and all this Palpatine not really dying crud...
 Emperor Devon
09-24-2006, 11:39 PM
It completely ruins the emotion/happiness of the RotJ ending.

I'll admit that it does reduce the effect of the movies a little, though I found the Dark Empire comics to be very enjoyable. But anyway, Star Wars is just in your head. If you don't think Palpatine was resurrected, then he wasn't. :)
 RaV™
09-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Well the thing that hurt me the most about EU was to find out Chewie died in the defense against the Yuuzhan Vong on the planet Sernpidal. My favorite memory was of Quinlan Vos surviving Order 66.
 Emperor Devon
09-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Yes, I didn't like Chewie's death either. It's one of the reasons I don't consider the Vong "real".

We're wandering a bit off-topic, though. This is about the best movie in the original trilogy. :)
 Darth Macca
10-05-2006, 3:50 AM
The Empire Strikes Back.
 Luke.Skywalker
10-09-2006, 12:01 AM
I have always liked ROTJ! I remember my older brother and I acting out the Luke and Vader duel when we were little. I also liked Jabba's Palace, hereing that fat space slug laugh brings back memories...lol!
 LucasForumFreak
06-16-2007, 4:48 PM
My favorite movie from the original trilogy is Episode 6: ROTJ. It's my favorite because everything is resovled and we learn who Darth Vader is (for the people who saw episodes 4-6 when they first came out!).
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
My Favorite is AOTC, and btw RotJ was rated 26 out of the top hundred movies but Ep5 and Ep4 were like 2 or 5.
 RC-1162
06-22-2007, 10:27 AM
RotJ for me. I liked the green saber :D among a LOT of other things ;).
 JoeDoe 2.0
06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
ESB

Oldie but still rockin'
 Sir Phobos
07-07-2007, 1:38 PM
ROTJ for me. The sarlacc pit scene and the end duel were the best in IMO.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-15-2007, 1:02 AM
I like the Empire Strikes Back, Imperials on Hoth!!!!!
 TripHammer
08-15-2007, 4:13 PM
I'll go with the original movie... Simply superb for it's time.
 Jake Hutt
04-15-2008, 1:05 PM
Gotta say "Empire Strikes Back". My oldest memory was being 3 years old and my parents bringing me to see it in the theater.

Have loved it ever since!
 Gurges-Ahter
05-13-2008, 2:07 PM
I hope this doesn't count as thread necromancy - it has been less than a month since the last post.

I chose ESB, with ANH as a close second. I was very surprised to see that ANH is well behind on the list. I didn't know so many people were RotJ fans; I thought it was generally accepted that RotJ is the weakest of the OT.
 Han-Solo
05-25-2008, 7:12 PM
Star Wars: A New Hope
Page: 4 of 4