Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Of the First 3 movies, Which was your Fav?

Page: 3 of 4
 Kurgan
01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
It seems to me that the EU wrote that Coruscant took a long time to be retaken by the Rebel Alliance/New Republic.

But Lucas, when making the SE's in 1997 (and 2004) intended for us, the audience, to assume that we were seeing Coruscant liberated.

So the fans are left with a few possible options:

1) Seconds after the scene at the end of ROTJ, the Empire stormed in, and shot everyone. The celebration was trashed and it took awhile for Coruscant to be liberated, like the EU has been saying all along.

2) The scene in the SE took place a LONG time later than the rest of the shots. It wasn't a simultaneous shot (the same night) but rather could have taken place weeks, months or even years after everyone else went home from Endor.

3) Lucas changed the story. Ignore the EU thing, and just assume that Coruscant was liberated from the Empire as shown, in a reasonably short time frame with the rest of the Endor celebration and other planet shots. G-Level canon overrides C-Level canon in this case.

4) Assume that, per the movie, Coruscant was liberated, but then it was shortly afterward re-captured by some Imperial force. Then it took awhile for it to be re-liberated. So when you read in the EU about it being liberated, you assume they mean the SECOND liberation, after the (off screen, off page) re-capture.

5) What we see in the movie is just a tiny, tiny, insignificant portion of Coruscant. The entire planet was not liberated, just a little bit of it. The rest remained under Imperial control for a long time. This seems implausible, but then again it maybe was a PR stunt like what happened in Iraq (the well televised tearing down of the Saddam statues in 2003 with a crowd of celebrating Iraqis) early in the course of the war/occupation. It would seem odd that the rest of the Imperial controlled planet would allow the capital or this small area to tear down statues of the Emperor and crowd surf Stormtroopers without something very bad happening to them.

I figure the "official" explanation is probably #1 or #4. Like Boba Fett's death, it seems that we simply have a conflict between the story Lucas wants to tell and the story he allows his liscensed writers to tell. Or we could chalk it up to him letting them write the story then changing his mind later and creating the inconsistency himself (like the age of the Republic issue). But as fans dealing with "canon" issues you obviously have all that mess...
 Shok_Tinoktin
01-19-2005, 5:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the EU does address this issue. I'm pretty sure the answer is something along the lines of #1 or #5, or some combination.
 Revan Solo
01-20-2005, 7:50 AM
The fireworks were added 1997? Didn't they were in the original version from 1982?
 Kurgan
01-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Revan Solo
The fireworks were added 1997? Didn't they were in the original version from 1982?

The fireworks that happen in the sky of Endor, during the Ewok celebration, with X-wings flying past, THAT is in the original version.

In the 1997 SE, that scene TRANSITIONS into a scene of fireworks going off in the skies of Bespin, Tatooine and finally Coruscant.

The 2004 edition tosses Naboo into that mix.

So the fireworks were always there, but more fireworks were added for the SE... get it now?

Tiny nitpick: ROTJ was released in theaters in 1983, not 1982.
 SarahSkywalker
03-14-2006, 6:21 AM
I voted for Empire Strikes Back because it had the most adventure and the most twists. It was way more interesting the ANH and ROTJ.
 Shane_1990
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi. To be honset with u, there all to gd to chose on fav film out of the trilogey. But i suppose Empire Strikes Back, considering i think mostprobaley i wacthed that more out of the other two.

Cya.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-16-2006, 1:13 PM
Ooooo....old thread. Meh. I like ESB the best. It was awesome! Great action. But Luke wasn't frozen in carbonite. :(
 TSR
03-17-2006, 4:25 AM
which is the one with the rancor? gotta be my favourite!!!!
 Prime
03-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Probably ESB. But I really have come to view the OT it as one long film...
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-17-2006, 6:30 PM
which is the one with the rancor? gotta be my favourite!!!!

OMG!!!!!!111

Yeah, it was Return of the Jedi. :)
 MagnaGuard
03-17-2006, 8:55 PM
Empire Strikes Back
 Jae Onasi
03-21-2006, 12:14 AM
ROTJ for me, but I like them all. I have to say, being old enough to have seen ESB in the theater, I _hated_ being left at a cliffhanger for 3 entire years. Now we only have to wait as long as it takes to put the next DVD in, but back then, ugh.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-21-2006, 1:01 PM
ROTJ for me, but I like them all. I have to say, being old enough to have seen ESB in the theater, I _hated_ being left at a cliffhanger for 3 entire years. Now we only have to wait as long as it takes to put the next DVD in, but back then, ugh.

Eh, your lucky. I had to wait nine years to see a Star Wars movie in theatres. And some others even more.
 Point Man
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Gotta go with Star Wars. What can I say, I'm old enough that to me the first will always be called just Star Wars. It was so groundbreaking! Yes, the others may have been better made, but the original was just that--original. I remember how excited everyone was that summer of 1977. Here was something fresh and new. It defined popular culture for the period, and continues to this day.
 †Saint_Killa†
03-22-2006, 9:23 AM
ESB. It's just great and it's the first SW movie I watched.
 boinga1
03-27-2006, 8:17 PM
I have to give the nod to ROTJ. It wraps up the whole story, and has some of the best scenes in the first three. The Sail Barge, the Battle of Endor, the duel on the Death Star, Palpatine's Force Lightning, and more. The only scene that can compare (in the other two), IMO, is the Bespin duel in ESB.
 Prime
03-28-2006, 11:47 AM
I have to give the nod to ROTJ. It wraps up the whole story, and has some of the best scenes in the first three. The Sail Barge, the Battle of Endor, the duel on the Death Star, Palpatine's Force Lightning, and more. The only scene that can compare (in the other two), IMO, is the Bespin duel in ESB.YOU FORGOT EWOKS!
 master_skywalke
03-28-2006, 1:17 PM
Empire closely followed by ANH and ROTJ.

ESB was just the best with the Battle of Hoth and the Asteriod Field, Bespin and Dagobah. Not to forget the great scoe of John Williams ;) To me it has the best score of all three.
 TSR
03-31-2006, 6:57 AM
YOU FORGOT EWOKS!

oh yeh, i did. well, i couldnt really see them undernath my at-st's foot. :)
 McCusto
03-31-2006, 7:48 AM
I have to say, Return of the Jedi has always been my favorite.
 Darth Moeller
04-04-2006, 8:48 PM
Probably ESB. But I really have come to view the OT it as one long film...
This is how I see all the Star Wars movies now that they are all released. And, I have watched that 'one long film' in one sitting! :D

But my favourite is probably Return of the Jedi. Though all of them have certain things I like better than the others.
 Prime
04-05-2006, 11:44 AM
But my favourite is probably Return of the Jedi. Though all of them have certain things I like better than the others.Indeed. It is funny that one of the best duels occures in TPM.
 lateforwork
04-21-2006, 2:44 PM
I'll say Return of the Jedi.
 Steve-O Kreesh
05-16-2006, 8:25 PM
Empire hands down.
 Echo-7
05-18-2006, 1:43 PM
I love all star wars movies but i voted for Ep4, cause its the only movie where u see other people and alliens from star wars. Its great to see a city (Mos Eisly) with ships, houses and all in a galaxie far far away :)
 starwarsnerd
05-27-2006, 12:21 PM
i like rotj the best. it had every thing ewoks,lightsaber fights,the force and another death star wich goes bang. it also has the sarlacc wich is pretty cool.
 Of The Cheese
05-31-2006, 2:30 PM
I like Empire Strikes Back. In fact, the main reason I liked it was the music background that was played in it. I was listening to the Soundtrack to Empire Strikes Back on Napsterlinks today. It's just incredible stuff.
http://www.napster.com/player/album/10900551)
You can click on the link above, and enter your email address and login name to hear all the full length songs within the album. It's pretty cool.
 RaV™
06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
ROTJ
 Darth Methos
06-06-2006, 4:51 PM
My favorite movie is Return of the Jedi as well. I like the changes that were made for the DVD release. Sweet!
 MachineCult
06-06-2006, 5:20 PM
My favorite movie is Return of the Jedi as well. I like the changes that were made for the DVD release. Sweet!
You can't possibly be 30, no-one older than Kurgan like all the changes.
 Commander Obi-Wan
06-06-2006, 9:28 PM
You just met one who is. :p
 Darth Methos
06-06-2006, 9:41 PM
:animelol: I liked the Ewok sequence at the end of the 1980's version. They could have left the original Ani' head.

I liked the transitional cityscape endin'. It was pretty intrestin' to see the Little Shop of Horrors head in the sarlac pit. :animelol:
 PoiuyWired
06-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Well, I have to admit, I prefer "Some" of the changes in the OT, mostly those nice cityscape and views, and some extra lifeforms in the background, and addition to some space battles.

Contrary to some, I do like the recolored 'sabers. But other than that there are only a few changes appeal to me. And yes the DVD RtoJ ending might not be bad, though I wish they kept most of the original ending also, and seriously, the JubJub song is better than the "Weza Free" thingy.

As for the bad things, I really don't want to start a frame war... Greedo...
 Lantzen
06-07-2006, 8:52 AM
Return of the Jedi
 Kurgan
06-07-2006, 6:47 PM
Return of the Jedi, the '83 theatrical version is my all time favorite, bar none.

For the most part the SE changes to it were negative or added nothing. About the only change I thought was an improvement was the cleaned up Rancor fx in the '04 edition and the one shot of the cliffs flying towards the Dune Sea (who cares about the herd of Banthas, but the skiffs look much better, with them seeming to hover more and the guy on the deck not looking so stop-motiony).

The "new ending" of the 2004 Edition works as an ending to the entire saga (though I could have lived without "Wesa free!!!"), but it is distracting because it smacks me in the face with some of the lowpoints in the prequels.
 Prime
06-08-2006, 11:43 AM
You couldn't just say Return of the Jedi, could you. You had to bring all that up again. :)
 Kurgan
06-08-2006, 1:45 PM
I did it just to annoy you. ;)
 RellikRats
06-15-2006, 11:05 PM
My fave is ESB.

I actually would have said RotJ if it wasn't for Ewoks and the DSII! If it wasn't for the most excellent and intense final confrontation 'tween Luke/Vader/Sidious :lightning the movie would have been a bust.

After all, did we really need another Death Star? Sorry, already did the Death Star thing, i.e. the first movie, the big event, the main thang. Need to make up something else cool. It just seemed like a cop-out to me.

And the Ewoks :ewok: were just gawd-awful, like GL was sitting around saying, "Well, let's see, what sells? I know! Cute-n-cuddly! Let's populate the biggest movie event of the 80's with blaster-wielding teddy bears!"

Oh, and just to top it off, I thought Sebastian Shaw looked like a dang marshmallow, both in Vader suit and as a ghost. Very disappointing and anti-climactic to me. "This is the guy everyone's been afraid of for three movies?"

Well, definitely burned some bridges here. Laters.
 Pho3nix
07-16-2006, 4:19 PM
Star Wars: A New Hope, definately. Gotta love the Binary Sunset.
 DarthXilon123
08-17-2006, 8:29 PM
Empire Strikes Back VI it was action a lot of it with the begining of the movie when they're fighting on Hoth that was my favourite scene. The other ones weren't as good as that part!!
 Great Scott!
08-17-2006, 8:30 PM
Don't know why this was bumped, but A New Hope.
 grrrrrrrrrr7
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
I like the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. My favorite part is the Imperial March
 Samurai DD
08-18-2006, 1:04 PM
Return of the Jedi, I love Anakin's redemption.
 Negative Sun
08-18-2006, 2:38 PM
Indeed. It is funny that one of the best duels occures in TPM.
Hands down, I'm not too keen on the rest of that movie, but that part is one of the best moments in the Saga...When Obi-Wan confronts Maul after Qui-Gon got killed: Pure Class!

The best one quality wise is ESB, but my personal favorite has always been ROTJ, because of the duel and the space battle...and Jabba hehehe
 DarthMuffin
08-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I never liked RotJ. I think the ending is too anti-climatic, and I find the Jabba's palace part to be boring.

My favourite would have to be ESB. Great action, story and character development throughout the whole movie. And there's Yoda :)

ANH is great too. I actually really like the start. Many people think it's too slow, but I think it's nice to see how Luke is pushed into the war only by "destiny".

Hands down, I'm not too keen on the rest of that movie, but that part is one of the best moments in the Saga...When Obi-Wan confronts Maul after Qui-Gon got killed: Pure Class!

And am I the only one to think that the TPM duel is bad? I know it's not really the place to discuss this, but since it has already been mentioned...
I think it looks fake. You can see that the actors only follow by heart the thing they learned. There is also zero emotion and interaction during this duel. They just fight. In all the other duels, there's something more to the fight than simply wanting to kill the bad guy who said 2 lines in the whole movie.

In AotC, they want to catch Dooku to end the war. In RotS, it's the master who tries to stop his apprentice. In ANH, it's the apprentice taking his revenge. In ESB, the father tells to truth to his son. In RotJ, the son saves the father. In TPM, it's just "wha?"
 Fealiks
08-20-2006, 2:16 PM
i like rotj the best. it had every thing ewoks,lightsaber fights,the force and another death star wich goes bang. it also has the sarlacc wich is pretty cool.
Don't forget fireworks. I was going to say ROTJ but then I remembered that Empire is better than ROTJ. Then I remembered that A New Hope is better than Empire. So IV it is.
 Great Scott!
08-22-2006, 9:31 AM
And am I the only one to think that the TPM duel is bad? I know it's not really the place to discuss this, but since it has already been mentioned...
I think it looks fake. You can see that the actors only follow by heart the thing they learned. There is also zero emotion and interaction during this duel. They just fight. In all the other duels, there's something more to the fight than simply wanting to kill the bad guy who said 2 lines in the whole movie.

In AotC, they want to catch Dooku to end the war. In RotS, it's the master who tries to stop his apprentice. In ANH, it's the apprentice taking his revenge. In ESB, the father tells to truth to his son. In RotJ, the son saves the father. In TPM, it's just "wha?"Well, first of all, remember there were like five battles going on at once, not enough time for emotion really. But even then, when Qui-Gon was killed, it started to get pretty emotional, or at least I thought so.
 Negative Sun
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that's what I mean, the short ls battle between Obi-Wan and Maul AFTER Qui-Gon got killed is the best ever...
 MachineCult
08-22-2006, 10:18 AM
In AotC, they want to catch Dooku to end the war. In RotS, it's the master who tries to stop his apprentice. In ANH, it's the apprentice taking his revenge. In ESB, the father tells to truth to his son. In RotJ, the son saves the father. In TPM, it's just "wha?"
Wrong. The part of the TPM duel everyone is refering to is the part that the apprentice is avenging the master, it's as "wha?" and emotionless as the OT duels. So nice try.
 Great Scott!
08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Well said, MachineCult.
Page: 3 of 4