Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsabre Or Lightsaber?

Page: 1 of 2
 Mex
12-04-2002, 3:21 PM
This thread is about lightsabres/lightsabers.....

The question is, how do you truely spell it? Ive seen alot of people spell lightsabre, and alot spell lightsaber.

How do you spell it?
 Jedi_Monk
12-04-2002, 3:35 PM
How do you spell it?

...Laser sword ;)

Seriously, I've always spelled it lightsaber... I think that's the accepted spelling, as it's how it's spelled on all of the toys and books :eyeraise:

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg)
 Darth Simpson
12-04-2002, 3:39 PM
Lightsabre - British english.

Lightsaber - American english.

Simple.
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 3:40 PM
I spell it Lightsaber :p
 XERXES
12-04-2002, 3:47 PM
 Kstar__2
12-04-2002, 3:54 PM
i've seen lightsabre the most so far. so I use that one
 Darklighter
12-04-2002, 3:54 PM
Nice post Xerxes:rolleyes:If you haven't something to say, don't say it lol

Even though I think we British might spell it 'Lightsabre', we have always only seen the 'Lightsaber' spelling because Star Wars is an American franchise.
 wardz
12-04-2002, 4:01 PM
It SHOULD be Lightsabre if the Americans (bless 'em) were speaking correct English. Unfortunately, they have castrated our beautiful language and turned it into a high pitch whine, but that's a separate discussion :D

-W
 Ratmjedi
12-04-2002, 4:05 PM
I spell it Lightsaber. I guess you Brit's spell it it Lightsabre.
:duel: :lsduel:
 Clem
12-04-2002, 4:08 PM
sabre is spelt ... sabre (strangely enuff)

so it should be lightsabre as wardz said
 griff38
12-04-2002, 4:27 PM
if the Americans (bless 'em) were speaking correct English.

Hey don't bless us, we don't deserve it. Sometimes (especially lately) I wish the Brits had won the war.

I like the way Brits say aluminum.
 Wacky_Baccy
12-04-2002, 4:43 PM
Posted by griff38
Hey don't bless us, we don't deserve it. Sometimes (especially lately) I wish the Brits had won the war.
:lol:

...Wait... You *are* kidding, right? O.o
*cough*

"Aluminium" - we don't say "aluminum" :D :p :D
 wardz
12-04-2002, 4:47 PM

You mean, the CORRECT way :D

-W
 nova_wolf
12-04-2002, 4:47 PM
Well, above all else, lightsaber just LOOKS better!

think its because the r looks like the curved half shield on the end of some saber designs... something like that... Just... well... looks beter.

I say this, and Im a Brit programer, so I am ALWAYS geting screwed over w/ the mix of Anglo-English and Amaerican English spellings I am expected to use.
 Skate Boy
12-04-2002, 5:50 PM
I spell it Lightsaber. I think that's how it is cause like someone(to lazy to look) said, It's an American franchise. Every time I see Lightsabre I say it in my mind Light-Sabe-Ree.:lol: Same with The-At-Ree.:lol::D
 [KOC]Qui-Zan
12-04-2002, 5:55 PM
The americans stole our language and don't know how to use it properly, but really

DOES IT MATTER??
 -s/<itzo-
12-04-2002, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by Darth Simpson
Lightsabre - British english.

Lightsaber - American english.

Simple.

you forgot...

Lyte Sabah

dats da ebonics way

HOLLA BACK!!!
 Skate Boy
12-04-2002, 6:17 PM
L1GH75AB3R in 1337.:lol::D
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 6:22 PM
1337 Skywalker: |-|eY j00 w@nN@ |-|A\/3 @ |<3\/\/l l19hT5@8Er |)U3L?
Darth Vader: What?
1337 Skywalker: he|-| hE|-|. J00 c4|\|'T +4Lk cOoL, J00 $ucK v4der!

1337 Wars!

Lightsabre seems to remind me of the 'ole days ;)
 SpYzEr
12-04-2002, 6:25 PM
Stop dissing the Americans, Brits stole our Star Wars :mad:
 Matt-Liell
12-04-2002, 6:27 PM
Lightsaber and im proud of it!
 Clem
12-04-2002, 6:31 PM
u stole our language ... and without that ... there would be no star wars either
 Reb Starblazer
12-04-2002, 6:43 PM
I spell it "Lightsabre" as it's supposed to be. You heard right, it's "Lightsabre", not "Lightsaber". It's straight from George Lucas's mouth(or rather his hands), his own words. From the original draft all the way through to the new scripts, he spells it "Lightsabre".

In the novelization of "A New Hope", the most canonical type of book (it goes movies, then novelizations, then the radio dramas, in that order), it is spelled "Lightsabre", and in the credits of The Empire Strikes Back, the only time the word lightsabre itself is ever seen in a star wars movie, it's spelled "Lightsabre" in the final credits(in reference to the lightsabre CGI-FX developed by ILM). So, it is correctly spelled "Lightsabre", but you guys can type it any way you like, I'm not gonna make you spell it this way:D

Also, "sabre" is not a British word, it's actually French. ;) It is however, considered International English, and is used the world over, just not in the United States.

Something to back up my point (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm)
Link to a page that basically says exactly what I have here. Just do a search for "French" and it should take you right to it.
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 6:57 PM
I usually call them Sabers anyway, I only spell it Lightsaber is the person has no idea about Star Wars :D
 Clem
12-04-2002, 6:57 PM
alot of english words arent english ... but sabre is often spelt saber by americans .... similar to center and meter (centre and metre) americans cant seem to cope with RE sounding the same as ER
 Skate Boy
12-04-2002, 7:00 PM
I know, it's to hard to make them sound the same.:D

So when you say Read, do you pronounce it Erad?:D :lol:

j/k
 Clem
12-04-2002, 7:06 PM
thats the problem with the english language ... its got no real gramattical or spelling rules

take "ough" for example

sounds like off in trough

oo in through

and theres a third 1 i cant remember

aw in brought and bought
 Jedi_Monk
12-04-2002, 7:08 PM
Amazon search results for "Lightsaber" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-7670676-4297617)

Also, looking through my Episode I Illustrated screenplay, I found it spelled "lightsaber" twice... every other time, the weapon of a Jedi Knight was referred to as a laser sword. But then, I don't have the Episode II script, so I can't tell if he spells it differently there.

Wacky_Baccy
12-04-2002, 7:31 PM
Posted by Clem
and theres a third 1 i cant remember

aw in brought and bought
Don't forget "bough" :D
 JandoFett1842
12-04-2002, 7:39 PM
Honestly ive never seen it spelled "lightsabre" before, i tought everyone alwasy spelled it "lightsaber"
 DiRtY $oUtH™
12-04-2002, 7:44 PM
Look people...it's Lightsaber and thats the end of it...:D
 Reb Starblazer
12-04-2002, 7:45 PM
As I said Jedi Monk, I'm not gonna force anyone to use it:D I'm just saying the technically "correct" spelling is Lightsabre, but it's not always used. On most of the star wars merchandise, such as action figures, lightsabre toys, books, etc, it is spelled as Lightsaber, mostly because they're either made in the U.S.A., or made by a company based there, or written by an American author.

I'm not gonna freak out and lose it because someone spells it "lightsaber", as I said, I'm fine with both spellings. Hell I'd already be driven quite mad by all the horrible grammer on these forums if I left stuff like that get to me:D I just thought I'd give a bit of input into the topic.

BTW, the amazon search doesn't work, as it appears to be based on your own user, and I get an error, seeing as I'm not you :p Lightsaber probably appears to be the most common spelling, because a vast majority of sites on the interent are based in the U.S. Oddly enough, most of the results of a google search for "Lightsabre", tend to also have the words "the proper spelling of..." or "the right way to spell..." somewhere on the page. I found that rather amusing, it seems everyone is trying to get the word out:D

EDIT: Yes, google is also American Hekx, which is why it doesn't like the spelling "Lightsabre":p

EDIT SQUARED: I'm with you Stormhammer. One of the reasons why I think Russian is such a great language, is because every single word in the Russian language is spelled exactly how it sounds. This is because the Russian written language was created after the spoken one, so they are no discrepancies, like in English.
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 7:49 PM
 StormHammer
12-04-2002, 7:51 PM
I spell it both ways...because it doesn't really matter, after all. ;p

As for the differences in American English and British English...who cares? The way we spell words isn't the way we say them. I think someone should shake up the whole system and convert the whole English language to a phonetically spelt version...i.e., spell it how it sounds.

And as stated above...English is just a mish-mash of lots of other languages. French, Germanic, Old English (which bears little resemblance to Modern English)...I think we basically use anything that fits, and a lot of things that don't.

My own pet hate is words that sound the same...or maybe even spelt the same...and have multiple meanings. It's just confusing. We should have different words for those different meanings, IMHO.

Anyway, keep sabering/sabring... :D
 DiRtY $oUtH™
12-04-2002, 7:53 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
http://members.lycos.co.uk/hekxnoxu/stuff/Lightsabre.jpg)
Google doesn't like it ;)

Well, why don't we ask George Lucas? I'm sure he can settle this..
 JandoFett1842
12-04-2002, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer

As for the differences in American English and British English...who cares?
:wstupid:

yeah, who cares anyway? so we spell it diffrently, big deal
 DiRtY $oUtH™
12-04-2002, 8:11 PM
Of course we spell it differently, but there has to be one correct spelling of it...
 LONGBOW19
12-06-2002, 1:37 AM
i spell it lightsaber
 Tyrion
12-06-2002, 1:58 AM
I use lightsaber casually

When I am RPing,I use Lightsabre.

Just sounds..exoctic...
 SettingShadow
12-06-2002, 5:21 AM
Iґve allways said Lightsaber, thought it was called that all the time.... aw well.
 leXX
12-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Lightsabre.

It is the English language and in England we say Lightsabre so that is the correct spelling. How Americans choose to spell certain words is up to them, but the correct way will always be the way it is spelt in England.

As Reb said, the original draft of SW has it spelt this way also, end of story.

I use both, doesn't bother me.
 ondrahosek
12-06-2002, 1:07 PM
Googlefight results (http://www.googlefight.com):

Lightsaber: 150 000 results
Lightsabre: 15 300 results

Some 150 000 should learn how to spell that correctly... :(
 Jedi_Monk
12-06-2002, 1:37 PM
Lightsaber, because that's how Lucas spells it now :p

Skate Boy
12-06-2002, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk
Lightsaber, because that's how Lucas spells it now :p

Yes Sir. I agree.:)
 Clem
12-06-2002, 2:26 PM
that just means lucas cant spell either
 ondrahosek
12-06-2002, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Clem
that just means lucas cant spell either

LOL! You have topped that, Clem! (Fu*or! I keep typing DOuble CApitals!!!)

Check out my new game thread Rate An Avatar!
 Clem
12-06-2002, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by ondrahosek

LOL! You have topped that, Clem! (Fu*or! I keep typing DOuble CApitals!!!)

Check out my new game thread Rate An Avatar!

uh sense not made
 Wacky_Baccy
12-06-2002, 5:18 PM
Oh, come on, Clem - it's not that hard to understand :p :D

*tries not to go too far off-topic*

I agree totally with what leXX said about the subject :D

*runs*
 Matt-Liell
12-06-2002, 5:31 PM
It doesnt really matter, if the brits call it a lightsabre if u want to know what is the official way its Lightsaber
as u can see here! http://starwars.com/databank/technology/lightsaber/index.html)
 Clem
12-06-2002, 5:37 PM
thats just more proof that americans cant spell

:rolleyes:

its a combination of the words light ... and sabre ... meaning sword of light (if sum1 wants to tell me the difference between a sword and a sabre its welcome) therefore it is spelt LightsabRE
Page: 1 of 2