Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsabre Or Lightsaber?

Page: 2 of 2
 Matt-Liell
12-06-2002, 6:21 PM
but george may not want to mix the proper words in his new galaxy therefore making a new word just as all of the star wars creatures are new words!
 Haseco
12-06-2002, 6:36 PM
If you goto www.dictionary.com), the definition for sabre is a Chiefly British version, "a Variant of saber", and then the definition for saber is the correct definition.

Saber - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=saber)

Sabre - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sabre)
 Clem
12-06-2002, 6:52 PM
oh and that is an AMERICAN site

if we search colour (the correct spelling) it also says "cheifly british" which i am now taking to mean "correct spelling"
 leXX
12-06-2002, 7:06 PM
Are you serious? :rolleyes: You are seriously trying to validate this argument against what American sites have to say about it! Do me a favour. The only correct dictionary to reference any word in the English language to is The Oxford English Dictionary.

Sabre (http://www.askoxford.com/dictionary/sabre)

Star Wars and it's merchandise main audience is in America, so of course you will see the American spelling on most of it, this does not however mean that it is the correct spelling. Why is it so hard for you all to understand that the way the English language is spelt is only correct the way we spell it.
 Clem
12-06-2002, 7:09 PM
i agree

theres the english way ... and theres the wrong way ... there is no other way

if u wanna murder the language at least dont claim to be speaking english ... own up ... u all speak american
 Wacky_Baccy
12-06-2002, 7:13 PM
LOL

I agree totally with leXXy and Glen, but really, this is just going to descend into mindless flaming, so let's all leave it here, hey? :)
 Clem
12-06-2002, 7:19 PM
GLEN?!!

Y I OUGHTA!!

<despatches kittens>
 Wacky_Baccy
12-06-2002, 7:34 PM
:D

*runs :p:D*

Success! I've diverted the topic from it's potential fiery end! ^_^
 Clem
12-06-2002, 7:36 PM
<sets wacky alight and passes marshmallows on sticks to the kittens>
 leXX
12-06-2002, 7:38 PM
I think you are mistaking the words flamboyant and flame Waccy! :D

(hope I spelt those words right! :eek: )

;)
 Clem
12-06-2002, 7:41 PM
lol i been worrying about my spelling all the way thru the thread
 Matt-Liell
12-06-2002, 7:42 PM
just one or two points and dont flame me about them, we're all friends here!:animelol:

Point #1:
Now this may seem weird but hear me out! If u r a Star Wars nut like me and know alot about it you'd know that even though the jedi speak in english in the movies they do have a different language and maybe a rough translation of the language does not add up to good old Oxford english! (whis i agree LeXX, is the only dictionary!) it maybe representing something the jedi say!

Point # 2:
Who really cares if the "er" are inverted or not, some americans (which i am not) may want to spell it that way! but myslef i just grew up seeing it that way, i only just recently saw it the other way! it doesnt really matter all that much be we all know its the best weapon in the galaxy!
 Wacky_Baccy
12-06-2002, 8:16 PM
^ Agreed with the best weapon bit :D

*remembers he's supposed to be saving money to get a replica one* ...erg x.x
Posted by leXX
I think you are mistaking the words flamboyant and flame Waccy! :D

(hope I spelt those words right! :eek: )
You did... All of them except my name :cry6:

...But dun worry - everyone seems to spell it like that, so I'm used to it :p :D ;)

*puts out the fires that Clem the Pyro started and goes about looking for a skin graft and a fire-retardant body suit*

That could come in handy for wading through flame wars, too... Hmmmz... ^_^
 Bob Gnarly
12-06-2002, 8:24 PM
its lightsaber 'NUFF SAID!!
 leXX
12-06-2002, 8:30 PM
Sorry Wacky!! :D

Boss - well you put forth such a compelling argument there that I might even change my mind!
 Jedi_Monk
12-06-2002, 8:38 PM
Look at the toys, the Prequels' scripts, the books... all of them spell it "er"... that is the accepted way of spelling it in the Star Wars franchise! That's all that matters. It is spelled with an "er", and that's all there is to it.

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg)
 Dark Warrior
12-06-2002, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk
Look at the toys, the Prequels' scripts, the books... all of them spell it "er"... that is the accepted way of spelling it in the Star Wars franchise! That's all that matters. It is spelled with an "er", and that's all there is to it.

You took the words right out of my mouth!:)
 leXX
12-06-2002, 8:48 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

No that isn't all there is to it. As I have said, the Star Wars franchise is mainly American so of course it will have the American spelling, but it is still WRONG. It is the English language, time for you to accept that. Changing the letters of the English language around and then saying they are correct is totally arrogant.
 Sivy
12-06-2002, 8:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do americans spell, sabre-toothed tiger?
 Wacky_Baccy
12-06-2002, 9:19 PM
People, people - let's not take this any further... Don't let it degenerate into just another topic that succumbs to the dreaded flame war :(

Let's just accept that different people spell things in different ways, and leave it at that... Please? :)
 Sivy
12-06-2002, 9:23 PM
well i hope no one took my post as a flame because it certainly wasn't meant to be, i just wondered whether they spelt sabre-toothed tiger, saber as well.
 Wacky_Baccy
12-06-2002, 9:28 PM
According to the almighty Google, they do spell it "saber-toothed"... :)

Now, I think that answers all questions, so let's either keep the conversation away from pedanticisms about language, or just let the thread sink peacefully to the bottom of the Swamp :D :)
 Skate Boy
12-06-2002, 9:31 PM
BTW, Sivy, we do spell it SabER.:)
 Sivy
12-06-2002, 9:34 PM
thanks, that's all i wanted to know, well that and how to turn lead into gold :D
 Lord Glorfindel
12-06-2002, 9:42 PM
I think Lightsabre looks cooler then Lightsaber but I think grammaticaly correct way is Lightsaber :vader:
 BCanr2d2
12-07-2002, 3:01 AM
Have always gone with lightsabre... Since it is a laser sword, therefore there is a type of fencing sword called the sabre, so that is where I take my cues on how to spell it.
 Jedi_Monk
12-07-2002, 3:07 AM
Every modern language is an outgrowth of some prior language; language is something that's always evolving. Separate two people who speak the same language long enough and you'll come back to find that they have two separate languages. There are thousands of regional dialects around the world. Just because "sabre" came first, doesn't mean that it's the only correct way.

Just because the first human language probably consisted of grunts and growls doesn't mean that that's the proper language of humanity.

English has branched again on either side of the pond. Sabre is one of the words that has changed. Yes, the spelling saber might be American, and it is propper English and the accepted spelling in America; Star Wars, as you've pointed out, was created in America by an American. Star Wars is American, therefore it is lightsaber, it is propper and that, as they say, is that!

Wacky_Baccy
12-07-2002, 4:02 AM
Posted by Jedi_Monk
Yes, the spelling saber might be American, and it is propper English and the accepted spelling in America; Star Wars, as you've pointed out, was created in America by an American.*giggle* ...Did you really have to make it italic too? ^_^
 BCanr2d2
12-07-2002, 4:12 AM
Well, it's PROPER to spell words properly too!!!
 The Truthful Liar
12-07-2002, 4:14 AM
ROFLMAO :D :D :D
 Bob Gnarly
12-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by leXX
Sorry Wacky!! :D

Boss - well you put forth such a compelling argument there that I might even change my mind!
why argue, i know im right:cool:
 C'jais
12-07-2002, 11:13 AM
In Denmarkian, it's called a Lyssvжrd - or light sword. Why not just call it that, since it has nothing to do with a sabre anyway?

I agree with you all, even though I spell it saber most often (what I'm used to seeing).

Jedimonk: You're right that languages evolve, but that's why we distingiush between them by giving them different names. That's why it's false to call saber the English spelling - you should call it the correct American spelling.

BTW: Funny how Americans insist on pronouncing the letter "Z" as [see] instead of [sed]. People couldn't pronounce my gaming nickname "Chraize" right, and ended up calling me "crazy" instead.... grrrrrrr.....:swear:
 Jedi_Monk
12-07-2002, 3:41 PM
That's why it's false to call saber the English spelling - you should call it the correct American spelling.
Fine, I won't call it the English spelling: it's the definitive Star Wars spelling in English-speaking countries :p

Clem
12-07-2002, 3:46 PM
if they were speaking proper english ... theyd be spelling it right

so ur talking about american speakers
 Haseco
12-11-2002, 11:47 PM
<-----Speaks American...and Proud.
 Hekx
12-12-2002, 12:14 AM
I'm spelling it Saber because of the SW Universe language of 'basic' and callling any fancy fencing swords sabres :p

Jawa's probably Jawre in English. :confused: :D
 -s/<itzo-
12-12-2002, 12:25 AM
off topic but i got a question for ya english folks.

is there asians with accents there in europe.

i just can't picture an asian guy with an english accent.
 Wacky_Baccy
12-12-2002, 5:52 AM
Posted by -s/<itzo-
off topic but i got a question for ya english folks.

is there asians with accents there in europe.

i just can't picture an asian guy with an english accent.
There are actually quite a few of them :)

It's becoming increasingly rare to hear a polished English accent anywhere, which is a shame, IMO... *goes off to polish his accent :p:D*
 vegietto
12-22-2002, 2:54 AM
i yhink it is lightsaber

yeah european ppl are weird they always want some tea
 -s/<itzo-
12-22-2002, 3:07 AM
Originally posted by vegietto
i yhink it is lightsaber

yeah thats how we spell it here in america but down in europe they spell it "lightsabre".

european people are weird, don't ask.

like i said before lets consider "Lyte Seyba" the ebonics way of saying it.
 Lost Welshman
12-22-2002, 7:47 PM
Im Welsh, thats in Britain, NOT ENGLAND!!!!!!!!, thats european for those of you who dont know, and I say lightsaber, cos that is the correct spelling
 Elijah
12-23-2002, 3:02 AM
*I Dunno if this has alredy been said...*
If Lucas wants to call it a Saber, its a Saber.

If I make a story and call a knife a nife than it sure as heck is a nife. no more, no less
 C'jais
12-23-2002, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
*I Dunno if this has alredy been said...*
If Lucas wants to call it a Saber, its a Saber.

But as Lexx or Clem said, Lucas actually named it a sabre in the manuscript and on all other occasions.
 vegietto
12-23-2002, 5:13 PM
yeah it a saber u english ppl have some problems but ya'll ain't that bad
 DiRtY $oUtH™
12-23-2002, 6:12 PM
i agree..its lightSABER...i think the English are just confused...:confused:
 Jedi_Monk
12-23-2002, 6:28 PM
But as Lexx or Clem said, Lucas actually named it a sabre in the manuscript and on all other occasions.
Not on all other occasions; Lucas spelled it "lightsaber" in the script of Episode I.

Page: 2 of 2