Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP carbonfreeze2 Update news

Page: 1 of 2
 Livingdeadjedi
11-16-2002, 1:34 PM
ok go here http://www.sgnonline.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2938) for screenshots so far :p
 t3rr0r
11-16-2002, 2:04 PM
looks great, but why is the exhaust shaft so dark? :eek:
 Padawan_7
11-16-2002, 2:44 PM
WOW, that looks great LDJ!!!!!!

And yeah, that shaft is too dark. But, you probably haven’t gotten around to placing lights down there. At least I hope...:D
 Toonces
11-16-2002, 4:47 PM
Impressive....Most Impressive ;)

Looks great LDJ, this map will be a treat :D
 Livingdeadjedi
11-16-2002, 7:18 PM
thanks Toonces me ol mapping chum =]]]]
and padwan 7 =]]]

oh and pit was bright before

but some people prefered it with a dark look. with the flashing lights it kinda gives it an errie feel

i know in film some areas tend to be brighter, but in other shots the pit is dark as ive made it so you really have to say, right do i keep it bright or do i make it look kinda mysterious ?

i want to make it brighter. but alot of people like it as ive said so i tend to go with them to keep them happy :p

but i may lighten it very slightly

The other reason it is darker is because i switched to q3map2 bsp tool
and it made the lights alot darker as it did in episode1 version 2

the lights in the main pit are actually 30,000 strong . Most lights are 50 to 300 in the corridoors so you can see how large the area is =]],. Basically if you leap off the gantry youll never reach the edge by the time you hit the bottom of the shaft unless ya get a really good run up HEHE
 Archonon
11-16-2002, 7:38 PM
This looks amazing LDJ!! Thanks for the fantastic makeover to my fave JK2 map. Will this version have botroutes though? That's who I'm always stuck playing against and I'd love to be able to actually play in this map :)
 t3rr0r
11-16-2002, 7:40 PM
Originally posted by Livingdeadjedi
i know in film some areas tend to be brighter, but in other shots the pit is dark as ive made it so you really have to say, right do i keep it bright or do i make it look kinda mysterious ?

i want to make it brighter. but alot of people like it as ive said so i tend to go with them to keep them happy :p

i see what you mean (http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/JoinMe.jpg). i think the map would benefit if the lighting was slightly brighter and closer to the lighting in that image. it's the best of two "worlds" (http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/Vader3.jpg) and http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/Vader4.jpg). :D

also, i was looking around and though it'd be sweet if the carbon chamber had some psuedo-random smoke/steam bursts coming from the grates or pipes. this is only if you were feeling fancy, though. :rolleyes: http://www.pearl-jam.com/starwars/swpixnot/darthbes.jpg)
 Padawan_7
11-16-2002, 8:04 PM

Well if I could vote on the matter, I would have to say please make it brighter. :D

As a person who is actually afraid of heights, I think nothing is more terrifying than actually seeing how far a drop can be. For example, one time I visited the top of the Empire State building in New York. When I slowly approached the top of the building's edge to look down toward the street, I found that I couldn’t really see anything because it was very cloudy up there. And I, of course, was just fine. But then when there was a brake in the cloud cover, and I could actually see the street lights, cars, etc. below......eeeeeeee:whacked:!!!

Also, as for the mysterious side of things goes, I feel the carbon freezing chambers inside already provide that, and quite well I must add. :D

But LDJ, you're the master mapper. It is, of course, all up to you. I just wanted to provide you with maybe a different perspective on things. :p
 Livingdeadjedi
11-17-2002, 12:54 PM
oh i have added steam at intervalls. but it not much. 1 because jk2 steam isnt very dense :( and also it would make FPS hit the roof LOL but ya get loads in the carbon pit itself when you fall in =]]] that only lowers FPS while your in there so doesnt effect anyone else
 t3rr0r
11-17-2002, 3:10 PM
oh i have added steam at intervalls. but it not much.
just the odd little "pfft" is good. :sweat:
 acdcfanbill
11-18-2002, 3:11 AM
also, not to be nitpicky :D but from what i remimber in ESB wasnt Cloud City made mostly of white? as in the walls and doors and whatnot? even Ravens maps have all this brown all over... anyone else remiber it like that?

btw: Map == heart attack *dies*

:D
 D.L.
11-18-2002, 5:23 AM
The special edition gave it more of an orange glow. It depends on the time of day really. Then again, you never really saw Cloud City at street level in the films. Just the interior of a few buildings.
 Livingdeadjedi
11-18-2002, 3:08 PM
yes your dead right
the walls in bespin during the day are brilliant white , with a yellow line around some walls

now to get jk2 to do this would be very difficult. Sort of thing a mod maker would need to do.
so i chose to go for the sunset effect, i did make textures lighter, but when i made lights bright as well even with a scale of .1 they were just to bright :p
 Wudan
11-18-2002, 5:47 PM
The Quake3 lighting has an overall problem with white. It would take time to get it so that it looks white and not grey, but it could be done, in theory.

Raven's Bespin is brown and orange because of this :(
 DapperDanMan
11-20-2002, 2:15 AM
Good show. That's amazing man. Can't wait!
 nomad
11-22-2002, 4:17 PM
:D
Great to see this!! I've been looking forward to this map ever since you released the original beta.
LDJ, without question, your maps are phenominal.
The architecture and lighting in Jabba's Palace is so authentic. Thank you so much for working on these great movie arenas.

If I had a vote, I would go for the pit to be brighter as well. Sometimes a group of people seem to be the majority, but then you find that they are not... so just in case this is one of those sittuations, I figured I'd give you my opinion.

Best of luck, and I am so looking forward to playing in this map. :D
 Livingdeadjedi
11-23-2002, 8:06 AM
Right then :D
im hoping to release map this Sunday if all goes well

the main pit is lit just right now and the window has been improved to suit film =]

I havent been able to place a secret area in that i wanted to, so i will make a duel map for that :p

Lighting in the City corridoors is as good as i could get it. Sometimes the odd blue or red light is cast onto areas far from where the actual red lights are, but ive only seemed to encounter this problem with jk2. Even when using q3map2 compiler

But the city is really just a starting point, the real areas are in the carbon room and the gantry. But ive tried to make city area as fun as possible with multiple areas.

If jk2 engine had been able to make more (id hit the maximum shaders) then i would have made

1. The dinning hall
2. Secret landing pad with My famous and soon to be improved Vaders Shuttle NOT THE MODEL FROM JK2 game though.
3. a larger entrance area like in film, off of the xwings landing pad
 Pnut_Man
11-23-2002, 10:10 AM
Great news! Can't wait for tomorrow =) This is a beautiful map..
 Livingdeadjedi
11-23-2002, 11:26 AM
yep :D
once maps compiled, i will spend tonight trying to get the bots on a set path

only trouble they would have is with the One set of elevators. As if the elevator goes down and they try to follow. they will get stuck on top LOL :p and must keep going up and down on the lift till they die :mad:

oh well that would be good for a laugh =]

the route wil take them on a single path to the gantry
and obviously anyone they encounter they will attack :eek:
 Padawan_7
11-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Cool, I can't wait! Thanks in advance LDJ!!!!!:D :D :D
 Livingdeadjedi
11-23-2002, 2:51 PM
ok this is strange.
ive made map. but when i try adding the bot routes it doesnt work ??? unlike my other maps

basically i type devamp ffa_carbonfreeze2
then \set bot_wp_edit 1 then i restart

but when i do bot_wp_add
instead of placing a bot route it says bot_wp_add is set to 1 default 1 ???? but this shouldnt happen HEEEEEELPPPP as i know people like bot support and if this doesnt work there wont be any
but ive goto add it cause some people cry if they cant play wi**... by themselves :D
 YoDa2k2
11-23-2002, 4:09 PM
Exelent LDJ! If u complete this map it will far surpass any map you have done so far (Duel Of the Faites is my fave ^_^ but the Jabba and Sarlacc maps are also well done) IMO. One question though, how friendly will this map be to people with low end comps? (IE 1.3 ghz P4, 128 MB RAM, and Geforce2 32 MB card) i hope it wont be to hard on us :( but i will be geting a Geforce 4 64 MB card and MAYBE some ram for x-mas so...

anyway GREAT MAP! i cant wait LDJ, if its even close to the quality of your other maps we are all in for a real treat!
 Livingdeadjedi
11-23-2002, 6:49 PM
well my friend has got an amd duron 800mhz cpu a nvidia tnt2 and a msi k7t pro version 2 mother board
and it plays fine on his

i get a slight slowdown of 40 fps in some areas. on my 1.4 with a geoforce 3

but he says he gets no slowdown apart from when theres tones of weapons firing :D and funny enough the HUGE IMMENSE pit gets the best FPS LOL :p
 t3rr0r
11-23-2002, 6:50 PM
well my friend has got an amd duron 800mhz cpu a nvidia tnt2 and a msi k7t pro version 2 mother board
and it plays fine on his
yay, that's good to know. :sweat:
/me whipes brow
 Padawan_7
11-23-2002, 11:29 PM
ok this is strange.
ive made map. but when i try adding the bot routes it doesnt work ??? unlike my other maps

basically i type devamp ffa_carbonfreeze2
then \set bot_wp_edit 1 then i restart

but when i do bot_wp_add
instead of placing a bot route it says bot_wp_add is set to 1 default 1 ????

Hmm...dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is. ;)

Just kidding. Don't type "\set bot_wp_edit 1". Instead, type "\bot_wp_edit 1".

That should make it work. :D

Padawan_7
 Livingdeadjedi
11-24-2002, 10:31 AM
Ok doing final Compile =]] its 1.30pm here in UK so takes 3 hours 40 mins to render. Then ive goto add bots again and then wait for Sergio to get online so i can send it to www.pcgamemods.com) :D

I got bots working on other version
but they kept getting trapped on the lifts so ive removed the top of the lift so its just a platform, that way while they stand and wait for it they wont get crushed LOL :p

also put a trigger hurt at the base of the lift shaft. as it appears that somehow a bot fell back and got stuck there LOL
oh well it made me laugh :p

So depending on how fast the map is put on pcgamemods
it will either be up tonight or tommorrow HOPEFULLY :(
 YoDa2k2
11-24-2002, 12:13 PM
*puts fingers together* Yes..... Exelent....
 Livingdeadjedi
11-24-2002, 12:39 PM
ok it will be a days delay before release

on removing the top of the lift for the damn bots i forgot to change the lip height of the lift ROFL
so ill render again over night
 Toonces
11-24-2002, 2:29 PM
Coolness :) LDJ, I'll be watching this thread. As soon as you release the map I'll upload it to JKII.net and give you some mad press on the front page :D
 Livingdeadjedi
11-24-2002, 2:33 PM
Thanks Toonces me old Modelling chum :D

Hey ive just ordered 3d studio max 4
and two books to help me

Its so i can make 3d models but i could get you to teach me how to make textures for skins if the book doesnt explain it =]

Oh i will soon start some maps for AOTC TC WOOHOOO :p
 Hekx
11-24-2002, 3:07 PM
I have a 1GHz AMD Athlon with a Nvidia TNT M64, and I get a slow framerate on Duel of the Fates ;)
I usually get 40 - 60 fps on most maps, but those big glowy purple things lag my CPU like hell :D
Thank god for Q3 engine tweak commands :D
 Livingdeadjedi
11-24-2002, 6:43 PM
ok map is now uploading to www.pcgamemods.com)
so will be there tonight sometime. UK night that is LOL
So USA will get it this afternoon :D for all me USA fans out there :D
 Toonces
11-24-2002, 7:13 PM
Cool LDJ, can't wait to check it out :D

I've got a bunch of files to upload tonight, but if you can, e-mail it to files@jediknightii.net and as soon as I get it I'll post news about it on the main page :)
 Padawan_7
11-24-2002, 7:17 PM
Yes, this is great news! :D
 t3rr0r
11-24-2002, 7:19 PM
ok map is now uploading to www.pcgamemods.com)
so will be there tonight sometime. UK night that is LOL
So USA will get it this afternoon :D for all me USA fans out there :D
what about (us) teh canucks? :p
 Toonces
11-24-2002, 10:47 PM
 Hekx
11-24-2002, 11:15 PM
Screenshot looks purdy, downloaded it now ;)

Because it's 4am here, I'll play it tomorrow :p

Good work LivingDeadJedi :thumbsup:
 YoDa2k2
11-24-2002, 11:16 PM
oh my..... THIS IS THE WORST PICE OF CRAP EVER!!!

just kidding! :p

LDJ, any doughts i had that u wernt the best maper in the comunity are completly gone.. this map far surpasses any other maps ive seen..... EXELENT JOB MAN!
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
11-25-2002, 8:13 AM
disappointing map. its only good for role-playing...

its depressingly linear, the elevators and tunnels slow you down far too much, and the architecture before the freezing room and gantry area is pretty basic :( It feels like LDJ spent ages making the carbon freeze chamber and gantry, then just bolted on the rest of the map to make it bigger.
 keo718
11-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Nice work. Do you still plan on a Kamino map?
 Padawan_7
11-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Livingdeadjedi,

In the gantry dual map you will release later, will the carbon freezing cambers be included? I hope so. :)
 Livingdeadjedi
11-25-2002, 1:02 PM
yeah i agree DeTRiTiC-iQ i did make this one a slight bit linnear

funny really as i used to make CTF maps all the time for Elite force.

but i know what ya mean about city looking bolted on, but some people requested it so goto try keeping everyone happy

My intentions were to create a second way upto the carbon room
and in 1 of the doors a cool window corridoor around part of the main pit.
but i ran out of shaders so that accounts for the linear feel.

Oh as for the Duel map its been requested that it be purely the gantry, but no window room and really thin like movie ?? any thoughts people ??
 Padawan_7
11-25-2002, 2:25 PM
Oh as for the Duel map its been requested that it be purely the gantry, but no window room and really thin like movie ?? any thoughts people ??

Well, I think the duel map should consist of the areas visited by Luke and Darth Vader in their duel (carbon freezing chambers, window room, and gantry). Plus, a good amount of the fighting in Carbonfreezing2 occurs in the Bespin hallways. This is definitely nice, but on the other hand I would like a map that was more centered around the Luke vs. Vader dueling area. So, I think a duel map (and even a ffa map :D ) for this area would be great!

And, as far as the gantry only duel with no window room...I think that would be a little on the boring side. It's kind of a drag when, in a duel map, one player starts on one side of the map and the other player starts on the other. They both run to each other, jump around a bit, then one kills the other, and it all starts over again. In this type of map there is no room for ducking away and only some room for strategy.

But, that's just my opinion. :p ;)
 Toonces
11-25-2002, 2:41 PM
I personally think the whole map is great :D I like how massive it is, much more true to the movie than any Carbon Freeze map I've seen. I think perhaps the only mistake you made was not having spawn points near or in the Carbon Chamber or Gantry. I like how the map is laid out though
 YoDa2k2
11-25-2002, 3:36 PM
yes, it WOULD be better if u put the spawing points a little more spread out, maybe a update? =D it shouldntt be too hard to do LDJ ^_^
 Livingdeadjedi
11-25-2002, 3:56 PM
What a good idea =]] yes i will make a duel map just with the carbon room and gantry area =]]
I will make a two map duel pack
one with that the other with my vaders shuttle im making on a bespin landing pad and entrance hall =]]

it shall also have the shiny floor i made but couldnt implement at the time due to lack of shaders
 Padawan_7
11-25-2002, 7:48 PM
Cool, I can't wait!
 nomad
11-26-2002, 2:23 AM
Great job man!
Thank you once again LDJ. Your shapes, contours, and lighting are just amazing. (for your maps that is... I've never seen YOUR shapes and contours :p )
You really captured the architecture around the halls and such of Bespin, in my opinion.
Thank you for making such a big Carbon Chamber room too. Now we can really battle in there.
I'm looking forward to the additional duel maps. Since your making one with Vader's shuttle, maybe you should make one with Slave One as well. While you're at it make another with the Falcon and you can release them all in seperate packages as collector items and thus do things in true Lucas-Merchandising fashion ;)

Your mapping talents are truly a wonderful gift for bums like us to play with over and over again :D
Thank you! Oh, Her Majesty the Queen has just sent word that you have been knighted... congratulations, Sir LivingDeadJedi!!

You've made yet another map that I would love to play through on a Single Player(or Co-Op) Mission.
"Race past stormtroopers and Boba Fett to confront Darth Vader and learn your true destiny!"

-nomad

May the force be with you.
 Livingdeadjedi
11-26-2002, 3:59 PM
Yeah shaders Maximum limit yes :mad:

i got this to
but i thought it had been fixed
it appears as though some people are fin e with it, others not so ?? doesnt matter how powerful the comp

Try moving all Custom stuff out of base folder first see what happens
add more hunkmeg memory and see if theres anything else that can be done
 Uber Sith
12-12-2002, 3:25 AM
You know what you could do with this map.... you could make it into a massive single player map...

okay here goes.. this is how i imagined it to go like...it would require making rooms for all doors and more parts to the level like all the massive unopend doors on it

Your Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
- Start by your X wing with a DL-44 (Hans Blaster - Made by Major Clod) and Lightsaber / Force powers: Level 2 Jump, Level 2 Push/Pull , level 1 mind trick , level 1 heal, level 1 speed,

- Make your way through the double doors that are in front of you.. kill the officer there and make your way accross to the elevator.. go down elevator to open area. through double doors that you face and turn on an elevator swith that allows the small elevators to turn on....

- Stormtroopers rush in. you kill them and head back out to the small elevators. use key on elevator (in game cutscene, leia surronded by stormtroopers screaming its a trap like in the movie)

- Work round to elevator that takes you to the carbon chanmber (Another cinematic of the vader scene where they ignite there lightsabers in front of each other) in the film vader uses hardly any force so he should have hardly any powers to use on you.. but make him super strong..you kill him here ( cinematic of him falling off the side)

- making your way up to the part where vader throws all that stuff at you..(either do this part as a cinematic or try to block most all the things vader throws at you and then do a cinematic of luke flying out the window) ..

- you fight vader to the bridge and kill him ( cinematic of you getting hand cut off) then like in LDJ's map you control where you fall n sutff... ) end level as you fall out of the bottom

well.. hope that inspired somone to do this hahaha.. thanks
Page: 1 of 2