Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Current Open Positions (Need filling to survive!)

Page: 1 of 1
 The_One
10-09-2002, 3:33 PM
The Dark Forces MOD team has immediate openings for skilled developers in the following areas:

Texture Artist - recreate the original DF textures in high resolution.

3D model skinner - create high resolution skins for low-poly models

3D modeler - create low-poly character models of enemies, items, etc.

Coders - modify the Wired Lamp MOD Source Code to recreate behaviors, weapons and enemies found in Dark Forces

Mapper - re-create the level design of the original maps, including scripting doors, elevators, traps, enemy way points and other events as required.

These positions are open until filled, are needed immediately, and should be filled by someone who is NOT in college at the moment - enough of us are in college already and it's really having a negative impact on the progress we are making. Send me an email (darth_linux AT planetblood DOT com) and we'll chat more about it.

Please don't post here if you are interested but send me an email instead - I don't get to this thread too often and I may miss your response if it isn't emailed.

Thanks!
 Geoffrey S
10-25-2002, 12:32 PM
As I've said before, I'm more than willing to do the Ramsees Hed map; the only problem being, I've only just started to use Radiant so I'm not really that good at using it yet. Does this matter in particular or not? I'm an experienced level editor for other games (read: Dark Forces :)) so once I've got the hang of brush editing it shouldn't be too bad.
Edit: I've started work on an early Ramsees Hed level, but is there anywhere I can download the basic converted textures? Converting architecture is easy, but I can't really compare it with the original without them. If I may use them, please e-mail me at geoffrey@brightside.nl
 Darth_Linux
10-27-2002, 4:33 AM
Let me make some arrangements for you to get those textures . . .

thanks
 Geoffrey S
10-27-2002, 9:08 AM
Sure, thanks!
Brush editing is so easy compared to editing DF... all those things you can do!
 Perfect Chaos
12-02-2002, 9:08 PM
I've considered being a mapper for the team as well, but I gotta learn JK2Radiant which I've been doing. However, seeing as it insanely non-user-friendly, I may have to have a little help from the mapping people of the mod team. As of lately I am trying to create a space station CTF map loosely based on a map I downloaded for Unreal Tournament some time ago. It was all going along smoothly, until I encountered the problem with the sky. How the heck do I implement the feature of having a sky outside the large station(s), with tunnels connection them, as well as the ability to go out into space itself and onto the top of the stations them self, once I've made the station(s) already? If I create a large box around the whole thing, and hollow it, encasing the station(s), it doesn't work.

Not only does it cause all the textures to be "unlit" (for those of you who don't know what I mean, it makes it so all textures are default brightness with uniform lighting all around and being not effected by light entities). The worst part, however, is that the whole place between the station(s) and the faces of the huge cube is a massive HOM effect. I am thinking that in covering the level with a box, I am essentially somehow "capturing" the "null space" that is around the station already, keeping the "null space" there even though it doesn't appear there should be. I know what you're thinking though; I tried making the box first in a new map then pasting the other map into this box, but it still doesn't work.

There are some things about this editor that really bug me. How people make these elite maps is beyond me with this poorly designed editor (at least it is, IMO). I liked Unreal's editor so much more, and if someone knows how to convert those I'd like to know also. I have 3DSM if you can use that for that process... I can show some screenshots of my dilemma if you wish to see and don't understand, also.
 recombinant
12-03-2002, 3:12 PM
What is the current status of the team? Do you still need members for the areas mentioned in the original post?
 Perfect Chaos
12-03-2002, 6:43 PM
As far as I know, they do. A lot of them are busy with college and such... and I dunno about them, but if I were running the team I would basically have no limit on how many people I'd let on the team; the more the better ;)
 Light Storm
12-03-2002, 11:00 PM
I know you dont want college students, and i dont have enough free time to be a major part of this mod, but i am decent at 3d modeling, and would be more then happy to help out. If you are willing to let me help, just give me a list of a few 3d objects that you need, and i will see what i can do to help you with them. Just e-mail them to me at heatherp@nku.edu if you want to take me up on my offer.

Phil
 Katarn07
12-04-2002, 7:40 PM
I'm trying to recruit editors from the SW boards, but no responses...
 Emon
12-09-2002, 11:26 PM
You can't use the WLS code for SP, it's only for MP. Recreating SP inside MP doesn't work because:

1. 256 brush entity limit as opposed to 512. Some of DF's levels have a lot of doors, and with 256 you'll run out real fast...

2. The multiplayer code sucks big time. It's buggy as hell and you can't fix most of it.

3. MP NPCs' AI sucks. A lot.

I'm afraid you'll be stuck with the standard ICARUS scripting, but it's much more powerful than the INFs used in DF.
 xcountryman03
12-09-2002, 11:37 PM
good idea with the tutorials guys! I'm reading up and learning a skill so maybe i can join your ranks
 Sine Nomen
12-12-2002, 8:23 PM
When I'm done with Nar .. in maybe 2-3 months (fairly wild guess - I'm really not sure when I'll be done), and I'm not completely burned out on JO editing, I'll do Coruscant. If you're looking to assign levels to editors, please try to save Coruscant for me.:) Fuel Station Ergo might be fun, too..
 Katarn07
12-12-2002, 9:38 PM
Ergo, Nar Shaddaa, and Coruscant are the most similar. And Coruscant being a stretch. I say do Ergo because it's more like Nar. But do whatever you want, I just wish I could do a level.
Fest and Ergo are the two that aren't taken that are in my top 3 favorite levels. Gromas is number 1! Hope MilesTeg does just a good job on that as the demo :D
 Sir Brass
12-21-2002, 4:04 AM
You could consider asking ArtifeX to help you out in the coding business. He's done genius level work with ProMod, and I'm sure that after he gets the bugs worked out of ProMod with the 3.1 update, he'd be glad to help you folks out (that is, if his wife will let him :p, poor guy). I'd help, but 1) I'm a busy college student, and 2) I don't have all that much experience in any of the areas you need help with. Still, I'm keeping my eye on this mod, b/c even though I like DF (when I had my old mac, I only had the level 1 demo and I LOVED that demo), I don't have the free mouse look since its so old, so I'm looking forward to playing it in the vastly superior JD2 enviroment (Really REALLY looking forward). Definately worth waiting till a month into summer break for. :D Rock on dudes!

Cheers,
~Sir Brass :D
 Elijah
01-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I came to offer my support as a Mapper... I'm wondering if you planning on Redoing the MP maps from JK1 Also? I'd love to give that a shot... I can show you some of my other work, or you ask some of my friends around here.... Grets Sirob, AB_Legion,Wes Marrakesh... etc
 Katarn07
01-06-2003, 8:56 PM
No JK MP maps are planned for this. This is the ORIGINAL DF if you are (as many are) confusing it for the more known Jedi Knight: DFII...
Now why I came here.
Can I offer my support with helping on the story/ script of the cutscenes. Or it whoever's doing the cutscenes adding the new elements or are these already written...
 The_One
01-07-2003, 5:47 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
No JK MP maps are planned for this. This is the ORIGINAL DF if you are (as many are) confusing it for the more known Jedi Knight: DFII...
Now why I came here.
Can I offer my support with helping on the story/ script of the cutscenes. Or it whoever's doing the cutscenes adding the new elements or are these already written...

Good god no! Chrustec is still working on the Talay animatic...

However, once this is done it won't be a massive amount of time until the rest of the cutscenes are done - a) Talay is the longest and b) we can use a lot of the elements that have taken ages to create for Talay in other cutscenes.

Also, incase you're interested ZDawg has been hired ;)
 Katarn07
01-07-2003, 4:36 PM
What level is he doing??? When you respond, can you post all the available maps?
 Darth_Linux
01-08-2003, 1:27 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
What level is he doing??? When you respond, can you post all the available maps?

don't laugh, but zDawg actually isn't very familiar with Dark Forces, so his first assignment is simply to play the game all the way through and then pick a map that appeals to him.
 ewok mercenary
02-21-2003, 3:42 PM
I would like to start mapping for the MOD but i've only just started trying 2 make levels, im constantly havin trouble with something or other in my maps and im at school so valuable time is taken up by coursework. If I get good at mapping then I would like to help out though.
 dvader28
03-14-2003, 10:47 AM
i could map, but alas i'm in college, with 6 weeks to go before the end, so i'm swamped. If you still need mappers in 6-8 weeks, let me know :D
 JDKnite188
03-27-2003, 6:37 PM
I am a fairly good mapper (I guess). You can see my work in the JediKnightII.net mapping showcase forums. The problem is that I don't have Dark Forces so any map that I do is going to require someone to give me the map outline. Is it required that I have to have the map?
 The_One
04-06-2003, 4:34 PM
Totally missed this, sorry. Has anyone gotten back to you yet, or are you still awaiting a reply? If you are even still around...

I'll ask Darth, and get him to e-mail you if he hasn't done so already.
 HapSlash
04-20-2003, 5:47 AM
Still in the need for a decent modeler/skinner,...?

I have models in need of homes.

:dev7:
 The_One
04-20-2003, 7:25 AM
Hang in there, I'll get Darth_Linux (project leader) to give you an e-mail...

:)
 Darth_Linux
04-20-2003, 4:13 PM
ok, like the first post in the thread says, please send me and email if you are interested in joining the team rather than posting here because I don't check the thread very often due to my schedule.

thank you everyone!
D_L
 CL_KILLER
05-29-2003, 3:43 PM
LOL goodluck with your clan
 GSR_skywalker
05-30-2003, 1:48 AM
im a decent weapon/inanimate object modeler (i suck with humans)

former counter-strike modeler lookign for some fun, im not in college (i wish i was).

heres the latest thing ive made for Cstrike, and havent done some modeling since (about 3 weeks) and im hoping im going to get bad at it if i dont start doing it again

citizen-models.0catch.com/test.html (fully browser rendered, needs dx9 and a plugin that will auto download)
citizen-models.0catch.com/index.html (reg screenshots)
Page: 1 of 1