Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

first adventure

Page: 1 of 3
 Nightcrawler187
09-02-2002, 10:55 AM
ok guys what was the first adventure game which got u into playin them

my one i think was discworld talk about bittin off more then u can chew!
anyway playin it just made me think that these sort of games haven't got enough hype around them
there the most story driven games around and people just don't seem to care(not everyone but the mass market) but games like grim and myst(not my sort of game) show that they should be able to
 Hellbeard
09-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Well the First adventure game I played was Monkey Island, I beat it when I was 5 so I decided to play some of the other ones! My older brother was really into adventure games, so I managed to play some of the older ones like maniac mansion! I played a few sierra games but I just tossed those and decided to stick to LEC adventures!
 BooJaka
09-02-2002, 12:00 PM
My first adventure game was the good ol' Toonstruck. I got hopelessly stuck on the first CD though and lost interest but I luckily got Sam & Max instead. After that I managed to nail Toonstruck and the rest is history
 The Adventurer
09-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Mine was probly Indy and the Last Crusade. It was part of the "classic adventure" pack so I played MI, Zak, Maniac Mansion, and Loom the same day but I probley played Indy first sence I knew the charicter. After playing MI though I was hooked.
 sultan12
09-02-2002, 2:14 PM
Space Quest 3 for me. I thought it was the bomb, and I continud on to many other Sierra adventures......until I discovered LucasFilm's The Secret of Monkey Island. I never looked back it was Lucasarts all the way!

(Sorry sierra I still love you)
 Trapezoid
09-02-2002, 3:18 PM
My first games were MI1 and MI2 when I was incredibly young and easily amazed. Now I'm old and bitter and hate everything LucasArts does. I have not enjoyed an adventure game since I was 12, so it's obviously the game industry's fault and not mine.

Actually, my first real adventure game was Sam and Max when I was 6. It of course warped my soul enough to prevent old-and-bitter syndrome for life.
 checkmate
09-02-2002, 3:29 PM
My first was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was a very slow and pathetic Mac version. We had a German exchange student, who may not have liked it, but played it anyway.
 scabb
09-02-2002, 3:34 PM
I have no idea how old I was, it was around the time that my cousin got an amiga, if that helps you. ;)

It was of course, Monkey Island. I played for a while and then I had to go home. But around a year later, around the same time I got my first PC, whilst shopping in HMV, I saw Monkey Island for sale. I instantly bought it. Then bought many others.

And we all lived happily ever after.
 Scummbuddy
09-02-2002, 3:34 PM
Monkey Island. OOOh yea! After its first release, I played it over my neighbors. I was so young and I remember how clever the code wheel was. I never owned it until the LucasFilm adventure pack came out. Loom, Indy, Zak, MI and MM. They were great. With the jokes against Sierra I never cared to play one. Still haven't. Don't have the time or the place to get a game 10 years old.
 Nightcrawler187
09-02-2002, 4:13 PM
AH the memories.......

..damm those puzzles stuck again!
 Wossname
09-02-2002, 7:39 PM
I think my first adventure was Leisure Suit Larry 2. I went on to play lots of Sierra adventures until I bought three games in a row which were intolerably short, including one that took me about 4 hours of not particularly intensive playing to finish. After that I vowed I would never again buy an adventure game.

Until, that is, I played the first Monkey Island, which I picked up in a bargain bin for about $10. It was a bit out of date at the time, but all the things that Sierra adventures did wrong, Monkey Island did right.

I decided to give adventure games another try, but since that day I have not bought a Sierra adventure. Not even Gabriel Knight.
 MrManager
09-02-2002, 9:32 PM
Either King's Quest 1 or 2, plus a few other old Sierra games. The first one I really enjoyed was MI1 though.
 Dark_Assassin
09-03-2002, 4:19 AM
Mine was "Return To Zork". It temporarily turned me into a die-hard zork fan. Then I played "The Secret Of Monkey Island" and got adicted to LEC adventure games.
 Tall Guy
09-03-2002, 4:58 AM
mine was Grim Fandango actually...*goes red*...but i played a ton of the older ones after that...honest :)
 jannar85
09-03-2002, 7:12 AM
I played Monkey Island 1 at the age of 11-12, when I borrowed it from my nephew. I didn't know what adventure games was before that. I fell in love with the lucasarts adventure games, I bought sierra games too though - but I disliked them. I bought all adventure games that came out, including all the LEC games. I love the old classics!
 elTee
09-03-2002, 3:57 PM
The first one I played was Zak at a mates. I didn't actually play though, I just watched. Then my dad bought a PC and Sam and Max was the latest game out, so he bought it. He wouldn't let me play it though, cos I was only 8 and he thought I wouldn't get the humour. But I looked in dir/games and there was one called "monkey." So I played that, and didn't tell my dad. Then he found I'd completed it about 9 months later (it took me that long, rather embarrasing but I was only 8 after all) and let me play Sam and Max, which I couldn't do. Then he bought me DOTT and MI2, and I did MI, but failed at DOTT. Eventually re-did DOTT and Sam and Max when I was 11 and finished them.
 Hellbeard
09-03-2002, 5:31 PM
I beat MI1 in about 3 weeks when I was 5! No Joke!
 itsgood2slide
09-03-2002, 5:50 PM
The first adventure I bought was Day of the Tentacle :) But I did briefly play Monkey Island 2 on a friends PC before that, although I did not really know what I was doing.

It was DOTT that made me a fan :)
 Jake
09-03-2002, 6:26 PM
I first played some Kings Quest game or another on an Apple II in elementary school and absolutely hated it (something about a swooping bird picking me up outside a forest?). After than I played The Black Cauldron... sweet christ. :( Wasn't until a bit after I finally tried (and enjoyed?!) Kings Quest 5 that I got ahold of Monkey 2. Finally, a good one.
 Sopabuena
09-03-2002, 7:45 PM
DOOM

hahaw
 Alien426
09-04-2002, 1:55 AM
Monkey Island 1. It was a pirated copy (on floppy disks), but later I bought it as well as other Lucas titles.

I also remember playing Dallas on my C=64 before that. It was a semi graphical adventure. You'd see images and type the commands. I didn't ever get close to finishing it and didn't like it much either (apart from finding it immensely interesting).
 Hellbeard
09-04-2002, 4:16 PM
Did you get to shoot J.R.?
 1.21 Jigawatts?
09-04-2002, 5:55 PM
My dad got Monkey Island 1+2 copied from a friend at work at around about the same time.

From what I remeber, I played Monkey Island 2 first out of those two.

Beofre that though,
I had played on Leisure Suit Larry1 + Police Quest 1 at a friends house a little bit.
 elTee
09-04-2002, 6:24 PM
Lol, I remebered - I played Police Quest 1 (original) when I was in year 5 at primary school. It was on the computers. Hmm, that makes me.... I was 9 or 10. We got as far as getting out of the police station, but we crashed the sodding car. And when I was in year 7 a mate of mine found MI2 on the network, and everyone started playing it in maths and I was the only one who knew how to complete it, but we all got bollocked and the technician got fired, I think, for installing it on all the computers.
 Huz
09-04-2002, 8:34 PM
Originally posted by Hellbeard
Did you get to shoot J.R.? Did the entire game all turn out to be a dream?
 Hellbeard
09-04-2002, 9:40 PM
Dallas, now that was one hell of a show!
 Alien426
09-05-2002, 1:22 AM
Dallas: The parser even reacted to rude words. I found that out when I got fed up by not knowing what to do next and typed "**** you". I got a dispraising reply.
Man, I'll have to check that out on an emulator. My old one doesn't seem to work with XP though. Can someone suggest a good C=64 emulator?
 QueZTone
09-05-2002, 3:56 AM
probably one of the Quest games, most likely Police Quest 1
 Huz
09-05-2002, 2:05 PM
Originally posted by Alien426
Dallas: The parser even reacted to rude words. I found that out when I got fed up by not knowing what to do next and typed "**** you". I got a dispraising reply.
West on the Sinclair QL (a pure text adventure) handled swearing superbly. On the first offence, it would just tell you off. The second time, it would warn you that continuing to swear was not a good idea. The third time, a bunch of Indians, "angered by your foul language", would sweep down the street and kill you. Fun!

Incidentally, this was probably my first adventure game, or its sister game, Zkul, for the same platform. My first graphical adventure was MI1 on the Amiga. :)
 Hellbeard
09-05-2002, 3:57 PM
Sorry, Sorry! The first adventure games I ever played was Gold Rush! What A great text adventure!
 GendoTheGreat
09-05-2002, 9:30 PM
My first adventure game was text as well. It was called "the Hobbit" and it was on the Commodore 64. It was difficult and confusing, but killer fun.
 Wossname
09-06-2002, 11:19 PM
Actually, now that I think of it, my first adventure was probably Fahrenheit 451, a textish adventure with still pictures, based on the Ray Bradbury book of the same name. It follows a different storyline to the book, but concept of the world is the same - reading books is banned, and you're a fireman who burns books, turned rebel.

It was a very creepy game when I played it at the age of maybe 12. When I finally read the book some years later, I was rather disappointed.
 Acrylic
09-07-2002, 12:12 AM
My first game, I'd say, would be on my ooold windows 3.1 ....when i was about 5...well...i played some hugo game...where you would type something.....so hed do it
 BooJaka
09-07-2002, 8:09 AM
Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar
My first game, I'd say, would be on my ooold windows 3.1 ....when i was about 5...well...i played some hugo game...where you would type something.....so hed do it

Hmm... Hugo. Was that the one where you went around a mansion and picked up a bung for some reason? That's all I remember of it and I think it was my first as well. It didn't get me into them though. That didn't happen until Toonstruck came along.
 Gabez
09-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Grannies Garden! That Witch really scared me.
 Acrylic
09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BooJaka15m

Hmm... Hugo. Was that the one where you went around a mansion and picked up a bung for some reason? That's all I remember of it and I think it was my first as well. It didn't get me into them though. That didn't happen until Toonstruck came along.
yeah, you have to try and save your girlfriend from a mansion, but i always died cuz a dog ate me
 BooJaka
09-07-2002, 1:20 PM
Sounds eerily like Maniac Mansion, don't you think?
 elTee
09-07-2002, 4:09 PM
There were three hugo's. I hate them all passionately.
 Hellbeard
09-07-2002, 4:13 PM
I played them all! My favorite was Hugo's hounted mansion, although they were al somewhat impossible!
 elTee
09-07-2002, 4:20 PM
That bloody one in the jungle....
 Hellbeard
09-07-2002, 4:46 PM
LoL, the one with the plane crash!
 elTee
09-07-2002, 4:49 PM
Yeah.... "lol"...
 Hellbeard
09-07-2002, 4:59 PM
I thought that the Hugo games were somewhat entertaining!
 elTee
09-07-2002, 5:06 PM
They were... in a sort of, want-to-throw-the-monitor-out-the-window kind of way.
 Hellbeard
09-07-2002, 5:48 PM
You hated them that much!
 elTee
09-07-2002, 5:50 PM
No, they just got me so mad! (is that a yes?)
 Hellbeard
09-07-2002, 5:51 PM
Err.. Yeah
 BooJaka
09-07-2002, 5:52 PM
The Haunted Mansion! That was it. I thought it was something like that but I just didn't want to look stupid.

Honest...
 elTee
09-07-2002, 5:58 PM
 Hellbeard
09-07-2002, 6:01 PM
Hugo's house of Horrors! Close enough!
Page: 1 of 3