Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Project Duality

Page: 2 of 3
 Andy867
09-16-2002, 2:17 PM
*Pulls out 9mm Beretta, aims at Pnut_master and..... Puts gun away.* Its ok Pnut. The model is definitely not that of an easy thing. Xlr8 is taking a little break from mapping, just because hes been spending so much of his spare time on it. and Volrath is working on his Lair map, but the project is far from being Dead. Manquesa is still working hard on the Sith Terminator. So not to fear Shadriss, or any others that are waiting for this mappack.
 Shadriss
09-16-2002, 2:23 PM
I'll feel SO much better once I have a BETA in hand... Did I mention I want to help BETA? :)
 Pnut_Man
09-16-2002, 2:34 PM
Ah i am alive..now i shall be loyal to this thread and provide all the reference pics necessary..mwhahaha
and i shall beta test! MAHAHAHA
 Roy
09-21-2002, 10:02 PM
I just watched Duality for the first time last night (boy, was I late or what) and it was just flat-out amazing. After watching it a few times I thought, "hey, this would make a sweet duel map". I jumped to these forums half-expecting a WIP not to be there, and I was getting worried I'd have to map it myself, which I tried to learn but to no avail. I was stunned to see this WIP thread in place with tons of ideas I would've never thought of (seekers, the light-staff going to two sabers to..., and the sp level). I'm terribly excited to see this map in action, and also the model/skin for each of the combatants. The Lord Rive skin by Jepman is quite good, but an exclusive model is really necessary because of the professional look of the map. What good is a great looking map without equaly great looking models/skins?

Anyways, excellent work so far. Keep it up, take it slow, pay attention to detail, and all that crap I'm sure you've heard before.

Oh, has anyone heard the reaction of the Duality film makers? I know someone sent word to them, and I'm sure they'd feel quite flattered.
 Shadriss
09-22-2002, 12:33 AM
That weas dealt with LONG ago, Roy. When they heard about it, their reaction was flattered - in fact, , they were looking forward to seeing this map as much as any of us are!

Speaking of which - any idea when, guys? :)

(Sorry... just had to ask...)
 Andy867
09-29-2002, 9:26 PM
I figured the thread could use a bump.. No new progress as of yet. but hopefully we might be able to release the whole mappack as a nice little x-mas present to the JO Community. :D
 Emon
09-29-2002, 9:38 PM
As much as I dislike Duality (if you can make CGI that good, you could at least include some half decent choreography...) your level is looking pretty good.
 volrathxp
10-02-2002, 2:36 PM
just wanna mention that I am indeed working on it, just kind of sick right now. :(

peace out.
 PainGod
10-03-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm just about done with my vacation, too. I finally got a few things in my personal life straightened out and I'm feeling MUCH better than i was in August.

/x
 Andy867
10-04-2002, 9:45 AM
I spoke with Manquesa the past couple days, and he basically had to wipe his machine, but he was able to save the model, just not the textures, so he has to redo those. Plus he is having a little, minor problem getting the textures to wrap around the c*ckpit properly, but not to worry, he will figure it out:) Can't wait to see the outside and hallways finished:)
 Quotation
10-04-2002, 9:26 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Project Duality?
It's a brilliant map, regardless, and the Sith Terminator is looking
excellent.

But, could someone please enlighten me a little? Shadriss? Anyone? :D
 Manquesa
10-05-2002, 12:23 AM
Check it out here -- http://www.crewoftwo.com/)

It's a Star Wars Fan Film made by 2 guys, very good. Short, but good.
 Wes Marrakesh
10-05-2002, 12:26 AM
Can I beta? :D

This could use a BUMP!....
 Andy867
10-05-2002, 1:46 AM
When it comes time to beta, we will have limited spots, plus one is already reserved for someone. so, at most we will have 4 open slots. We will post a sign-up and the first 4 people who sign-up who we feel will help contribute to pointing out bugs that we missed (which have been very few) we will select. Mainly those that are mappers themselves tend to spot errors, although that doesn't include the general public itself:).

Project Duality is the 2nd film by Mark Thomas and Dave Macomb. They basically wanted to make a professional looking film with the idea of simplicity in mind. Simple, yet eye-appealing. When I saw the level they created, I couldn't help but think what a great map that would be to play in.

Manquesa will be starting up the Terminator again probably Monday if I remember correctly. And I am just awaiting word from PainGod and VolrathXP on their progress.
 volrathxp
10-05-2002, 7:57 AM
I think I have bronchitis now... so it might be a little while. :(
 Quotation
10-06-2002, 2:25 AM
Thanks for the link, Manquesa, Project Duality is most....Interesting. I liked it. :D
 Darth Link
10-06-2002, 2:53 AM
im a mapper myself and the project looks good guys!do you have the skybox yet?that could take some doing.of course if you already have it then that was pointless.anyway i notice alot of stuff like z-fighing on maps like the wls_ctf map pack theres a TON.id help beta but spots are prolly all gone.tell me if some spots are still open k?
 Andy867
10-06-2002, 3:37 AM
Well, we haven't posted the Sign-ups yet, but do remember, that there is a special individual already guaranteed a spot, which leave at best, 4 spots open.

And as far as I know, there really isn't any z-fighting issues within the map, its basically just high number of tris and r_speeds are a little higher than what we'd like, but really can't solve that at the moment. We or someone else might. We plan to release the .map file at least a week after the official release of the mappack. But we aren't expecting a release until closer to X-mas. Beta testing will begin as soon as Manquesa, Volrath and Paingod finish their sections and we put it all together.. (which should be interesting for performance:)
 Eets
10-06-2002, 9:11 AM
It's looking awesome, guys! ^_^
 Sithcloak
10-07-2002, 2:19 PM
Looks great, I can't wait. With all these maps, models, and mods coming along it seems that we will be getting quite a few gifts to the community this coming X-mas.

Sithcloak

P.S. Eets, I like your avatar. Monstors inc. is a great movie in my opinion.
 Shadriss
10-09-2002, 1:37 PM
This post is done to do two things.

First, (and shamelessly) BUMP!

Second, I just wanted to find out if you three mapper type have gotten together yet and actually pieced this map together at all? We, the mighty denizens of the forum, would LOVE to see screenshots for the OTHER two portions of the map. Even better if ALL THREE were pieced together.

I hate to say we're impatient (not that I have room to talk, as much as I've been working on DOTF v2), but we've been waiting for this particular map for a long long while... so any idea of when we can expect to slice each other in half on this level would be... well... NICE. :)
 Andy867
10-09-2002, 5:37 PM
Well, we are looking to get back on track.. The mappers kind of took a break after hitting the map everyday for over a month and a half. but we are looking to get back on schedule, and hopefully get some screenshots of the work up soon, just not sure when yet. But not to worry, this project is far from dead, especially after all the late night hours the mappers put in..
 Manquesa
10-17-2002, 10:55 PM
Here's a little update on the status of the Sith Terminator for this map. I've decided to try my hand at modeling this thing using gmax. For my very first modeling attempt I think it's turning out very well. The prefab was coming along but the more and more I looked at that the more I kept thinking that this thing should really be made as a model, not a prefab. So, if all goes well, the prefab will be scrapped and a model will be used instead.

Here's some screenies of it's current status:

http://www.manquesa.com/st_gmax.jpg)

http://www.manquesa.com/st_gmax_2.jpg)
 Pnut_Man
10-18-2002, 6:59 AM
Nice job with the model, perfect wings =) ( i could never get them lookin right..damn gmax)
 WhiteShdw
10-18-2002, 8:43 AM
Originally posted by Manquesa
Here's a little update on the status of the Sith Terminator for this map. I've decided to try my hand at modeling this thing using gmax. For my very first modeling attempt I think it's turning out very well. The prefab was coming along but the more and more I looked at that the more I kept thinking that this thing should really be made as a model, not a prefab. So, if all goes well, the prefab will be scrapped and a model will be used instead.

Looks good. That should be a lot better for your FPS as well.
 Manquesa
10-29-2002, 12:37 AM
Well I took a break from working on the Terminator to try and make the Halt Droid. Here's the screenes:

http://www.manquesa.com/haltdroid1.jpg)

http://www.manquesa.com/haltdroid2.jpg)

http://www.manquesa.com/haltdroid3.jpg)

It's finished, all I got left to do is to texture it. It currently stands at 4102 poly's but i'm gonna see about reducing that number.

Now i'll get back to work on the Terminator. Once that's finished i'll get to work on making the textures for the models.
 Quotation
10-29-2002, 1:23 AM
Impressive, most impressive, but you are not a jedi yet...:p

Looks great! :D
 Andy867
11-13-2002, 8:07 PM
BUMP

Ok, right now we are looking at a Thanksgiving release for the Duel version of the project, and a tentative release date of X-Mas day for the full map pack. Right now we hit a bump in the road as for compiling the hallway, but hopefully we will get it fixed in time.
 Pnut_Man
11-13-2002, 9:54 PM
Hmm..just wondering if anyone on the project has new screenshots ready?
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-13-2002, 10:59 PM
Well thats just great, Im going to be walking ontop of my jaw for weeks. :drop2:
 Pnut_Man
11-14-2002, 7:26 AM
Hehe..Duality will be the greatest of all duel maps!
 Andy867
11-14-2002, 6:22 PM
http://www.warplanetalpha.org/images/duality/shot0137.jpg)
http://www.warplanetalpha.org/images/duality/shot0138.jpg)
http://www.warplanetalpha.org/images/duality/shot0139.jpg)
http://www.warplanetalpha.org/images/duality/shot0140.jpg)

Here are some early pics of the outside platform. The Tie Fighter is just there as a place holder until Manquesa finishes up the Sith Terminator.
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-14-2002, 7:11 PM
Very nice ;) I'd recommend making it a tad more yellow/beige
 WhiteShdw
11-14-2002, 7:23 PM
I'm gonna need to pull out the actual movie of Duality. Haven't seen it in a while.

The skybox looks a bit low res. Did you use a trial version of Terragen to create it?
 Andy867
11-14-2002, 8:46 PM
I think what our mapper did was he simply took one of the pre-defined skyboxes from a Raven map and used it as a test. that way he wasn't looking at the star-trek like hologram walls all the time when testing the map...

Remember, these are very very early screenshots of the outside. Its been awhile as our mappers took their own little breaks after working day after day non-stop. but we are still aiming for the forementioned release dates.
 volrathxp
11-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Among other things tonight, I'm gonna try and get the hallway finished. xlr8 if you read this man, i'm gonna be hittin you up for somethin tonight so be on aim. :D
 volrathxp
11-19-2002, 8:09 AM
the hallway and main area are now attached. quite succesfully i might add.

i ended up finding some long brush embedded in one of the brushes on both sides of thing. me thinks that was causing the problem.
 Shadriss
11-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Closer and closer to completion, this map comes. Waiting eagerly, with anticipation, we are.
 Andy867
11-19-2002, 3:35 PM
Well, with Thanksgiving approaching, our team is aiming for getting any and all bugs out of the main arena, so it will be download-ready as a duel map. Our time thanks you guys in advance for staying with us and for your own help, like shadriss for the shaders, and for the many suggestions which will hopefully be able to be successfully implemented in future versions. I personally want to see this map done just as much as you guys.
 Shadriss
11-19-2002, 3:47 PM
I forgot I even gave you those beam shaders... LOL!

BTW, ANdy - What ever happened to our pre-release article on DOTF2, eh? You kind dropped the ball there. :) Never even got MENTIONED on the site until it was released. :(
 Andy867
11-19-2002, 4:56 PM
Shadriss, I am sorry about that. I was going to, but then I had this huge fiasco with my computer, as you will see in the DOTF V2 thread whre my PSU unit went out, hence, frying my CPU. It took me months and many graphical words to get the parts I needed that actually worked. and now that i have everything, i don't even have a Jedi Outcast CD. Someone had cleaned my room and moved the cd to where I don't know. I was wanting to do it, because I actually helped LivingDeadJedi with his version as an unofficial beta tester, and was really looking forward to do doing a pre-release preview of the map.
 Andy867
11-19-2002, 10:55 PM
here is a preview of the hallway leading to the main arena. Luckily VolrathXP was able to find the problem and got it fixed.

http://www.lennon-fan.com/volrath/hallway.jpgEnjoy!)
 Quotation
11-19-2002, 10:59 PM
*Cough* Gasp *Cough*
 teutonicknight
11-20-2002, 1:54 AM
Wow, this map seems great! I can't wait for it to come out!

:thumbsup:
 Shadriss
11-20-2002, 7:11 AM
No worries, Andy. :) It seems to be doing real well anyways. I only hope this map does as well...
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-20-2002, 12:15 PM
WOww....................... :eek:
 volrathxp
11-20-2002, 1:10 PM
i'll post some ingame screenies of the hallway tonight.

found a few discrepancies ingame with the door, some z-fighting, so i'm gonna try to clear that up. other than, that, i may tone down the lighting a bit, and that should be it for the hallway. :)
 Andy867
11-20-2002, 1:28 PM
That's great news, VolrathXP. can't wait to test the map:) Also, were you able to clear up with James on who is going to join the outside platform with the rest of the map since you were able to join the main arena to the hallway.. Oh, speaking of which, could you email me the working copy of just the main arena? you can send it to dmccarthy100@charter.net
 volrathxp
11-20-2002, 4:48 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
That's great news, VolrathXP. can't wait to test the map:) Also, were you able to clear up with James on who is going to join the outside platform with the rest of the map since you were able to join the main arena to the hallway.. Oh, speaking of which, could you email me the working copy of just the main arena? you can send it to dmccarthy100@charter.net

i'll send you it when i get home. and i'm gonna try and get with james tonight but i dunno if i'll have time.
 Manquesa
11-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Okay, here's the latest screenies of the Sith Terminator. Progress is going slow but it's getting there

http://www.manquesa.com/term1.jpg)

http://www.manquesa.com/term2.jpg)
Page: 2 of 3