Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sidious\Palpatine very early model

Page: 1 of 5
 Adonai Saboath
03-14-2002, 9:00 PM
it would be BEST if you showed Palpatine against a white or light gray background. Not black, as it doesn't contrast with the robes very well at all....
 nomad
03-14-2002, 9:02 PM
Yes! the head looks beautiful.
I happen to think he's rather handsome :holosid:

grey_fox_001,
One great thing about this guy, is that he likes the sound of his own voice. He loves to talk... while he's devastating his opponent with his Ultimate Power!! :lightning

His taunt is "In time, you will call me... Master!"

But he has a whole slew of spiteful, manipulative, and evil comments that he'll likely throw your way.

The sounds for him are a little different than most other models, but that's because I believe he's a little different than most other characters. I hope you all will enjoy the sounds as much as I have so far.
I really enjoyed listening to all his inciteful lecturings while I was editing the sound files. It made me feel much more... powerful... and hateful...

-nomad

"Use your aggressive feelings..."
 Toonces
05-28-2002, 11:03 PM
Just figured I'd hop on over on my way out tonight and show you guys what I've been working on.

Started late last night, sorry for the crummy image, I didn't have time to take another one. Comments/Suggestions always welcome. Again, it's a very early model

(Old Link Removed)

Hope you guys dig it :D
 winner_rex
05-28-2002, 11:24 PM
tee hee
cant wait to be a lightning **ore with this lol
 Toonces
05-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Figured I'd post another shot, this time it's rendered better, and I changed a few things. The robe will be longer, probly to just over the bottem of the ankle. I'm also planning to mess with the verts once I get the shape down pat

(Link removed due to being extremely outdated)

I have a seprate face in progress that I'm trying to get to look like Sidious from RoTJ, still kinda strange looking so I won't post a shot until I have it skined (the face)

I have a question for all my fellow modelers, I want to make the hood loop and drape over his forehead, but one of the problems I'm running into is that once I get it shaped properly from the side, I can see through his hood from in front. Will I need to model the entire inside of his hood? Or would I UVW map the inside of the robe as well and fix it with a black/dark blue texture?

(*) <-head with hood
(-*-) <-head with hood, - = blank space/see through

Any advice you guys can offer would rock :D

Count Toonces :deathstar
 Epimetheus
05-29-2002, 11:44 PM
Face shouldn't be so visible. And Palpatine is NOT Darth Sidious! We don't know that yet! Why does everyone make that mistake? Am I missing something?
 BloodRiot
05-30-2002, 12:36 AM
Very easy task to accomplish Toonces.

Ok do this:

First select the hood. If it's part of another mesh beisdes the hood, detatch the hood.

Now clone the hood so that you now have two hoods that overlap eachother and occupy the very same space.

No select the clone hood... convert ot editable mesh, select the faces sub object and flip normals. That will make the faces in the clone hood face the opposite direction while still occupying the very same space as the original hood... there.. no more see through hood. It would be wise to skinmap the hood beofre you clone so that you dont have to skinmap the clone as well.

now all you need to do is either keep hi mthat way or attach both hoods (it's best if leave them as separate meshes so you can apply a diferent texture to the inside, making it darker.

There... that should help... if you need anymore help just lemme know.

Cheers
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 12:43 AM
not bad so far, perhaps you could open the hood up at the bottom so the sides droop down? here are some reference pics:
http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Emperor_Palpatine/Return_of_the_Jedi)
:emperor:
 Pedantic
05-30-2002, 1:00 AM
Originally posted by Epimetheus
Face shouldn't be so visible. And Palpatine is NOT Darth Sidious! We don't know that yet! Why does everyone make that mistake? Am I missing something?

Well, I think everyone assumes that 'cause it's so dang obvious.
 Epimetheus
05-30-2002, 1:04 AM
What makes it so obvious? Physical appearance? I mean, sure it makes sense. But we still don't know for sure. Its unsubstantiated. Its been hinted at, but can't be absolutely certain until Ep3.
 BradFu
05-30-2002, 1:16 AM
That's a great start! Some good suggestions have been made already :) Open up the lower part of the hood opening, bring down the bottom of the robe, and make sure you put a bit of a hunch to the back :)

And Palpatine IS Sidious, unless we see otherwise in Episode 3. I don't know why people try to say we have to assume they aren't just because they haven't been specifically connected in the movies. It's quite clear based on all we've seen that they ARE the same person. They could pull a fast one on us in Episode 3, but it's doubtful. There's really no reason for them to be seperate people.

Anywho, enough straying from the topic. Keep up the good work on Palpy/Sidious, can't wait to see him done :)

BradFu!
 Pedantic
05-30-2002, 1:18 AM
What makes it so obvious? Physical appearance? I mean, sure it makes sense. But we still don't know for sure. Its unsubstantiated.

Not just physical appearance, but also the approximately billion hints they've dropped in TPM and AOTC. :D
 pud1
05-30-2002, 1:29 AM
and Ian McDirmind(bad sp) plays both characters
 Toonces
05-30-2002, 1:47 AM
If Palpatine and Sidious arn't the same person I'd be shocked beyond beleif. Even starwars.com has a picture of Sidious on the same page as Palpatine's bio is on.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, and thanks for the tip Blood, that really helps alot.

I had the hood tapered in because I didn't know how to do the inside of the hood, it should look 10x better as soon as I straighten it out. I'll post another shot tommorow.

Back to Max :D

CT :deathii:
 immortal
05-30-2002, 1:58 AM

you might wanna take a second to check out this:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/palpatine/index.html)

Quote - "Palpatine crafted an elaborate trap that was to be the end of the Rebellion. He also concentrated on converting Luke Skywalker to the dark side of the Force, even at the expense of sacrificing Vader."

Heck, even look at Palpatine's weapon on the left side of that page, Dark-side lightning

as you can clearly see, Palpatine is indeed Darth Sidous
 Epimetheus
05-30-2002, 2:05 AM
It always made sense, I guess... it all makes sense now. Still, Sidious and Emperor Palpatine have different hoods... Sidious' face is hidden, while Palpatine's is not so much while he sitting. But then again, his face was mostly covered when coming off of the shuttle in RoTJ...

The point is, I'm a complete, oblivious moron. People should just stop listening to me.

And no, that is not a joke.

:wstupid:
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 10:05 PM
hmmm. i wouldnt be so sure. lucas has contradicted himself before with his strange twists.... c3po built by anakin, Quigon, not yoda instructed obiwan and such. besides, there needs to be a really crazy twist in this one. one that will make all the fans shocked. the emperor seems like an obvious answer. palpatine could have a twin, who knows, dont merge the two just yet, call me crazy, but lucas hasn't laid it all out in plain daylight yet. hey, maybe sidious is anakin's father.... "there was no father"... well if you ask me, shmi is pretty weakminded >>
:sithm: [waves hand]~ "you did not just sleep with dark lord sidious" ....
:elaine: ~"i did not just sleep with dark lord sidious"

hope to see a model update soon! :D
 Toonces
05-31-2002, 7:40 PM
Ah ha! I've finally been able to log on, man these forums get busy at night. Anyway, I'm posting a few more shots, the model will soon be going into beta testing, I'm getting ready to UV map it soon. I'd like to get as much feedback as I can get about shape and size

here goes :D

(Links removed due to being totally outdated)

The face still isn't 100% ready, but it's looking much better than it did the other day, and once I apply a skin to it (and some more tweaks) I think I should have a pretty convincing Sidious face.

On an other note, I got a question about poly count for all you experenced JK modelers, the model by itself is about 2200, so I beleive I have alot of room to to work with, but if I factor in the skeleton It says I'm pushing 3800. Do I have to factor in all that extra junk? Or do only the parts of the model matter? I hope it's the latter since it will allow me to really get a great flowing look for the robe

Back to JK (need a break from Max) :D

Epimetheus
05-31-2002, 10:37 PM
I think the hood should come a little further down. But the hood is really constantly changing. In the prequels, it comes waaay down. When exiting the shuttle in RoTJ, it's about the same. Then when he sits down, it comes up to reveal his face. Whatever.
 Toonces
05-31-2002, 11:16 PM
I agree with you Epimetheus, I'm going to bring down the hood a tiny bit and see what happens. I tried it yesterday and it looked awkward, but I optimized quite a bit today and now have some additional room to work with. The poly count right now is a little over 2200 so I have some room to add additional detail.

Angry Sandwich
06-01-2002, 12:07 AM
I'm looking forward to your model. :)

I think the sleeves should be a bit longer and more baggy (or something to that effect). Check out this reference picture. Its picture of a Darth Sidious Action figure from Episode 1. I love how he looks in the shot:

http://www.maulrats.com/Darth%20Sidious.jpg)
 Epimetheus
06-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Yay, I made a valid point! Score!

And by the way, it always strikes me as odd to see the hood mismatched in terms of color. But it's not even skinned yet, so it doesn't matter.
Your model is good; skinning will be nice and easy.
 Toonces
06-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Heh, yeah, I made it blue so I could see better how it flowed, I just changed the color to match the rest of the body and it actually looks solid which looks cool, I'll post any further shots like that, it just looks much more uniform

And thanks for the shot Sandwich, I havent seen it before. I'm not sure how much longer I can make the arms and have it work right with the animations, that's what beta testing if for though :D

Epimetheus
06-01-2002, 2:23 AM
Wow, those are big sleeves. That's something I'm pretty sure the Emperor doesn't have...
 Andy867
06-01-2002, 2:34 AM
You don't suppose when you finish this awesome Sidious skin that you could maybe work on a robed anakin, where he does have a hood, but it is on his back, not his head. its the one with him wearing that black jedi robe. I've posted many a time for this model, but no one seems to be able to do it, or doesn't have the time to.
 Toonces
06-01-2002, 4:49 AM
Ok, I've smoothed it out a bit, and adjusted the hood a little more. The hood definatly needs just a tiny bit more tweaking and I'll be happy

(Link removed due to being way old)

I didn't forget you Epimetheus, I remembered to change the color on the hood so you could see how it will be it blends together :D

Still tweaking the arms, I'll have to test them before I release it

Oh, and andy, I was considering giving that a shot, Blood riots new model looks like that might be what your looking for. If BloodRiot doesnt mind, you could skin an Anakin on him and see how it looks. I might give it a shot though

Darkhold X
06-02-2002, 12:13 AM
The opening to the hood should have more of a bell kinda shape. Yours just goes straight down. http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthsidious/img/movie_bg.jpg)

OOOOoo http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58804) his hood is shaped the right way. Thats the shape it should be. THats the only thing I see wrong with yours other than making the face a bit wider looking maybe.
 Toonces
06-02-2002, 4:03 AM
I worked on is a bit this morning and the hood is rounded on the bottom. I'm unfortunatly not home right now or I'd post a shot.

The model is esentually done, I'll be adding tags and weighting it tommorow. Now I just need to find a good artist that would be willing to skin it for me

More shots soon :D

Toonces
06-03-2002, 3:06 AM
Unfortunatly I haven't had too much time to work on the model in the last few days, but I figured that I'd post a new shot of the updated hood

http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces/Sidioushood.jpg)

Not finished yet, but should give everyone a good idea where I'm going with it.

More to come :D

XSnowfireX
06-03-2002, 3:08 AM
The model looks like hes wearing glasses, lol
 Darkhold X
06-03-2002, 2:31 PM
Hoods much better now. *golf claps*
 Epimetheus
06-04-2002, 1:47 PM
Wow. He's got some serious baggage under his eyes. But that is accurate, I suppose. Palpatine is a very creepy man. Have you noticed the bags under his eyes got bigger from Ep1 to Ep2? Then by RotJ, he's got yellow eyes, red patches under his eyes, huge bags, and he looks like an albino.
 Darkhold X
06-04-2002, 1:52 PM
Well you wouldnt be getting to much sun if you were sitting around that dark throne room in space, with that big ol hood either.:D
 DarExc
06-04-2002, 5:05 PM
Don't make fun of Palpatine or I will smite you all! By the way good model, perhaps just make the sleeves just a bit longer and make a little rectangular bump for the Sith Clasp he wears under his neck.

:emperor: :saberr:
 Toonces
06-04-2002, 6:22 PM
Unfortunatly I havent had time to work on him yet this week. I have a little block made for his clasp, but since the hood isn t completed just yet I havent attached it to his chest. I'm definatly shooting for his RoTJ look, maby a little younger. Mapped the eyes this weekend, yellow and creepy :D

I'll try to find time to work on him tonight, should have a few shots tommorow, I'll try to include his freaky eyes :D

On another note, I have a friend in the industry (not a big SW fan ironically) who uses Softimage at work, I'm trying to talk him into animateing the robe for me. He's really busy, but who knows

DarExc
06-05-2002, 8:27 PM
sweet
 Wiggin
06-05-2002, 10:47 PM
The Model Looks great

Still, Sidious and Emperor Palpatine have different hoods... Sidious' face is hidden, while Palpatine's is not so much while he sitting. But then again, his face was mostly covered when coming off of the shuttle in RoTJ...

Sideus didn't want people to know he was really palpatine cause he had things as Palpatine so he hides his face.
 Epimetheus
06-06-2002, 12:23 AM
I know, I know. Sidious had to live in the shadows like a warehouse on Coruscant before "moving on up, to the east side" to a deluxe palace in a more centralized area. But I noticed... maybe the robes are too smooth... I notice that they're always rippled in the films. Though that might be hard to do.
 DarExc
06-09-2002, 8:42 PM
Any update on this?
 Epimetheus
06-10-2002, 1:53 AM
Yeah, we need 50 cc's of bump, stat!
 ReIIiK
06-10-2002, 2:52 AM
*1 CC of shameless bumpage*
 Toonces
06-10-2002, 6:35 AM
Sorry guys, been away for most of the week, I'll post some more shots in a few hours.

Thanks for the bumps :D

Toonces
06-11-2002, 1:40 AM
Alright, I know I promised screenies, they will hopefully come tommorow, the model looks pretty much the same as the last shots I've posted, his sleeves look much baggier, and I've almost nailed the face. Anyway, here's what's going on though.

I've got a buddy in the industry (he has XSI 2.0.1) who I was trying to get to make some animations for our pal Lord Sidious. Anyway, to make a long story short , He gave me the CD's for his copy of Softimage 3D (3.9) which he doesnt have use for anymore, so I'm going to learn softimage (thankfully he will help me :D ) and attempt to make some animations for him (I have a really cool idea about the hood)

More shots soon (I have to start adding some textures to my next shots (color is good) so Jediknightii.net will post a link to this thread too :D

Epimetheus
06-11-2002, 2:18 AM
Yeah, giddy up. Sounds good.
 DarExc
06-11-2002, 11:56 PM
Need I say, bump!
 Toonces
06-12-2002, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the bumps, I'm glad you guys dig the model :D

Here is another shot, it's not too diffrent from how it was before, mostly optimization and smoothing of some lines.

I'm really happy with how the hood lays on the shoulders now. I still have a bit of work to do on the body itself, smooth out that line between the torso/hips, tweak some verts to bunch up the robe in some areas.

http://www.boomspeed.com/toonces/Fullbodyshot.jpg)

I've begun to texture him, just the hood right now, I'll post some textured shots asap, I'm looking for the perfect peice of fabric to base it off of

more to come soon :D

Delmar
06-12-2002, 3:25 PM
lookin' good. keep up the good work!
 Darkhold X
06-13-2002, 12:51 AM
THe only thing I could suggest is if there is some poly count to work with yet, or soem ploys that arent needed were the are is to make some waviness int eh cloak. Even a realy good skinner might have a hard time making it not look so smooth. I think you kind of said somethign to the effect already, but thats all I think thats needed.:)
 Epimetheus
06-13-2002, 12:54 AM
Ooooh... purdy...

He's wearing an elegant evening gown...
 Toonces
06-13-2002, 1:26 AM
His big secret is out now, Sidious is a crossdresser ;)

Still tweaking thoes verts, I'll post a shot when I get an effect I like (Being a perfectionist is very time consumeing) :D

Page: 1 of 5