Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sidious\Palpatine very early model

Page: 4 of 5
 Toonces
06-27-2002, 12:38 PM
BLUE STEEL!! Great icon Klorel :D

Thanks guys, that was my only real gripe with the model, that the torso didnt seem to flow enough to me, and yes nomad, the sleeves are still nice and long. :D I'll have to tweak them once I get them in game to ensure a nice effect :)

One thing I'll add to the height issue, when (crosses fingers) Sith/Kinja/K-man, or one of the great coders in the community discovers how to shrink our little green friend Yoda, I'll be able to shrink him (I'm invisioning sith-II raising Vader a foot also, that would rock)

I'm gonna uv map him tonight, and perhaps get a basic skin on him tommorow :)

CT :lightning
www.drivingcatstudios.com)
 inbredyokel
06-27-2002, 1:15 PM
I suggested it once before and I'll suggest it again:
Couldn't you just create a simple head over the actual skull as a separate surface(to be turned off), move the REAL head(the one we would see) down and forward to make a more accurate hunch, and do some creative weighting of the visible head to the skull/upper spine area to at least give the appearance that he is shorter? It would be work, but it would solve your height problem for the most part.
 LINK-ER
06-27-2002, 7:34 PM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
I suggested it once before and I'll suggest it again:
Couldn't you just create a simple head over the actual skull as a separate surface(to be turned off), move the REAL head(the one we would see) down and forward to make a more accurate hunch, and do some creative weighting of the visible head to the skull/upper spine area to at least give the appearance that he is shorter? It would be work, but it would solve your height problem for the most part.
If the game thinks that the invisible head is the "head" then it will not work correctly. It will be misaligned and his head will just sit there and possibly even some nasty stretching and unalignment will happen. Not a pretty site.
 Pedantic
06-27-2002, 7:41 PM
Y'know Klorel, one of these days, you're just gonna have to do Magnum, too. We can't live with just Blue Steel. ;) :D
 IPHDTD
06-28-2002, 1:44 AM
is that face skin the final one? something looks really off about it to me. the mouth may be too large or the eyes too small, im not sure, it just looks strange to me. i think its the mouth, looks way too wide. its about twice as wide as his eyes are. also, id make him a little more pissed off looking. like the look when he is shooting the force lightning. thatd be cool.
 Toonces
06-28-2002, 3:57 AM
It's kinda hard to see in most of the shots, but his head is definatly bowed forward a bit, I also have his shoulders rounded quite a bit in the back. When I'm weighting him I may experement with moving his head a little more forward. I've watched the RotJ Emperor scenes quite a few times over the past few weeks, and I've noticed that he's got much less of a hunchback then I initially thought. Ian McDiarmid has a build very similar to my own, same rounded shoulders for the most part. (alough I'm signifigantly taller) He pretty much just leaned over a bit (for the cane scenes) Twards the end, when he's walking down the stairs, he's pretty much standing straight up. He gets the "hunchback" effect from tilting his head forward, and pointing his chin up and out (kinda uncomfortable)

I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get an in-game effect that you guys will like :) I really wish I could use a custom skeleton and animations, I beleive I understand enough about how the Emperor moves that I could animate him very convincingly

IPHDTD: The face is definatly not final, I think it's the angle of the screen shots that makes his mouth look so prominant, that and I have it shaded in such a way that It sticks out and really makes it noticable. That will definatly be changed for the final :D

nomad
06-28-2002, 1:28 PM
Man, I am so excited after reading the update on the Yoda Model!
Toonces, Glad to hear about the sleeves. I figured, but I just had to ask. Your model is really looking great. Even without seeing it in game or anything, it just seems to capture something about the Emperor's essence. I figure that you must have some kind of tap into his soul or something. :lightning

So, the news of the scaling coding is great. I wonder how long it'll be before it can be fully implemented.
LOL You may have even more work cut out for you now.
Regardless, the height of the Emperor in game is not a huge factor for me. With the right sounds and the right dark look, wonderful immerssion is extremely possible.

I'm tired, I've been working on some new sounds for Bespin-Luke for many many hours. Now I've got to make all the files a little louder, test it out some more, and it should be ready for distribution.
I want to try to do some 3D modeling. I have Gmax.
Toonces, Do you think you could give me a few pointers to get started? I can't even look at the root.xsi yet.
Anyway, if I could ask a few questions elsewhere, maybe you could give me a few answers. I just can't learn from Tutorials alone, and I need to be able to get things running before I can learn via the usual trial and error.

-nomad
 Shadow Angel
06-28-2002, 8:37 PM
THANK YOU for working on an Emperor Palpatine model! You are now officially the coolest guy on the JKII forums! You see, I'm a huge Palpatine fan. In fact, he's my favorite fictional character of all time. As you probably know, I'm in desparate need of an Emperor skin for multiplayer. Unfortunately, there just isn't an abundance of Palpatine skins on the Net (unlike all the Darth Mauls.) Sure, there's Dark DNA's, but that's just a black Reborn. Then, there's Rob H.'s, but the Tyrion model just doesn't work for the dark Emperor.

I am seriously looking forward to the completed product. May the Force be with you. Oh, and best taunt is probably, "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side."

:lightning
 Vindicator
06-28-2002, 10:14 PM
I second that taunt Shadow Angel!

Toonces, you are the MAN! Can't wait to see Mr. Dark Side skinned! :D

Also, not to change the subject, but did I hear that Kinja's Yoda team fixed the height issue in MP?!

:slsaber: :lightning
 adillon
06-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Vindicator
Also, not to change the subject, but did I hear that Kinja's Yoda team fixed the height issue in MP?!

you heard correctly. go check out a thread by sithlord-ii in the coding section. tchouky (sp?) figured it all out, and there are a couple of incredible screenies of yoda VS luke. made me speechless.
 CheshireKat
06-29-2002, 12:57 AM
Toonces, I noticed some things you need to look at on your model from the flat shaded pic. Anyways, I have some questions, and a ref pic to show you what Im talking about.

Anyways, did you model the cloak around another model? I ask because it looks like you have a sinlgle layer of polys wrapped around another model in a thin layer. If so this could be a real pain because the cloak will clip into the model. The cloak should probably be part of a solid model.

Also I noticed the polyflow. It appears to be a bit messy, and there aren't any "rows" such as how the verts are set up.

Anyways, here's a pic of Maul with Edged Faces so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://pooputt.tripod.com/Vallen_Gar/id11.html)

He's not the best ref pic to show off arms, but the rest is pretty solid. Notice the rows of verts and teh polyflow more than anything. You need to keep these in mind to get the best deformation.

Hope this helps.

And sorry if my bandwidth is hosed..........................
 Shadow Angel
06-29-2002, 1:39 AM
I almost forgot. Addressing a couple of posts earlier about the mannequin of Palpatine at the Magic of Myth exhibit, I have a picture of it. It's pretty cool.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/StarWars/images/BookImages/emperor.jpg)
 Toonces
06-29-2002, 3:54 AM
heh, Shadow Angel and I think alike, that one tops my list for possible taunts :D I was also thinking about using the "Strike me down with all of your hatred" line, I'll have to put some serious thought into it.

Chesire, would you like to see a wireframe of the model? I'll PM you one if you'd like. I did innitially model the cloak over another model (a majorly adjusted root.xsi) but the torso and the hips have since been replaced by a much thinner "chunk" in the middle to give the illusion of having an inside layer to the robe (to save polys) The robe itself is segmented into the torso and hips. I'd like to know how BloodRiot pulled it off, I'm not sure if he still lurks around here, I'll have to try and get in touch with him.

There are some set rows, mostly on the hood, and the head. For the robe itself I pushed some verts around to get a wrinkly look, peraps I went too far. I'll send you a wireframe if you'd like to see it? I'd be intrested on your oppinion. :)

adilion & Vindy, yeah, I read about it yesterday and I must say, tchouy (sp) is a coding genious :D I can't wait for the code to be done, I will definatly scale the emperor down a bit as long as he doesnt mind :)

nomad (yes, I didnt forget about you :D) I'll send you a pm, I have like a million great links that can help you get started, and of cource I'll give you some tips :) I'm definatly no modeling guru (Chesire is much much better than I), but I'd be happy to share what I've learned in the last month or so :D

More to come guys, I'm working for the perfect texture for the robe, I hope I can do the Dark Lord justice :)

CheshireKat
06-29-2002, 5:25 AM
Ya, a WF would be great, but mostly what you need to look at are the areas that will bend alot. I'll try to get back sometime today if I can.
 EmperorJello
06-29-2002, 9:15 AM
Here's what I want to do in JKII...

Emperor Palpatine is walking along, hunched over on his cane, and out pops a flechette wielding stormtrooper. Palpatine raises one hand and zaps the stormtrooper with a pulse of Level 10 Force Lightning. (Seriously, even the level 4/9 Force lightning that Desann uses doesn't do Palpatine justice. I do hope that you can contact a coder or something to include a mod only for Palpatine, or something to that effect.)

Perhaps a Level 5/10 (5 or 10, since 4-9 are all the same strength) Force Lightning could be in pulses that knock the enemy to the floor and do tremendous damage (unlike the slow drain for level 3. A pulse that pushes the enemy hard would also make it less cheap.)

I don't know, but I want to see this Palpatine as realistic as possible.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a scene in Ep. III of some powerful Jedi in Palpatine's room suddenly discover that he is a Sith. Palpatine lifts a finger, and the Jedi are smashed against the wall--instantly killing them. He then goes back to gazing out his window. :lightning:
 Kinja
06-29-2002, 9:35 AM
Right on cheshire, I was going to say the same thing. I just posted somthing along those lines in that thread of Skaters asking me to help him. Anyway, toonces, what cheshire was talking about is the key to making good clean models. The cool part about this is that once you get a grasp on this it just makes modeling so much easier:) Good luck man! Keep it up.
 Epimetheus
06-29-2002, 9:39 AM
Hoo haw, it'd be nice to see the emperor use a full powered lightning.
 Toonces
06-29-2002, 10:18 AM
Thanks Kinja, I'm going to work on cleaning him up. It's a learning process alright. I think the artist in me is getting a little too anxious to get into photoshop :D I'm a much better 2d artist than a modeler, but then again, I've spent most of my 23 years designing on a flat canvas. Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna do my best to get his verts into a uniform pattern

CheshireKat
06-29-2002, 4:04 PM
http://build.tripod.lycos.com/trellix/sitebuilder/f_edit_page.html)

OK Toonces, Im not the best at explaining stuff, but check out this sketch. I just kind of show how the arm should be built. You'll have to work it out for deformation and create a sort of elbow in the back, but this is your basic polyflow you want.

What you have now, is going to be trouble when it's weighted, and you dont want to get that far before you realise it, so I hope it helps. If you don't quite catch on to what Im trying to show you just yell, and I'll try to get more detailed about it.
 Toonces
06-30-2002, 5:05 AM
That link is broken I think, but I think I understand polyflow now, I looked at your maul pic, as well as poked around at one of Sithlord-II's models. I started to uvmap him the other day, but I'll put that on hold until I clean him up a bit and check out how he deforms around the joints

CheshireKat
06-30-2002, 8:50 AM
http://pooputt.tripod.com/Vallen_Gar/id11.html)

Think I fixed the link. May as well have, since I'd already put the pic up. I'll leave it there for a few days if you like. Take the entire polyflow thing into consideration for the entire model as a whole, and ripp some pk3 files so you can see them im Modview too. I personally did that to see how people where overcoming some of the deformations of JK2.

Keep it up!

EDIT/ The white lines are just to show the skeleton, but I didn't draw in the double bones for the shoulder and forearm. You probably know what I mean.... Hopefully anyways.
 Toonces
06-30-2002, 9:20 AM
Cool, thanks, that's actually really helpful :D I studied Exar Kun (Thanks again Sith) a little bit and began to reconstruct the lower half of the model. What took me hours to do before I was able to finish in about 20 mins.

One thing I'm concerned with are the sleeves, I have a theroy that they are going to deform badly no matter what I do to them.

From what you've seen of the torso, should I reconstruct that part as well?

more to come :D

Toonces
06-30-2002, 10:14 AM
I think I've got it now, damn, I wish I had been doing it this way the entire time, It would have been so much easier. You were right Kinja, it makes the entire modeling process substantually less complex :D

Back to Max :D

Klorel
06-30-2002, 12:25 PM
[kicking myself]
WHYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish i heard about this earlier. not only did i give my model's sleeves a baggy look, i also had to twist them with a space warp cause they would be hanging incorrectly in game......... i hope this doesnt totally screw me over. its your model that brought the sleeves issue to my attention though... thanks by the way. I too I think was too anxious to get into photoshop, i dont even know how many model tweeks i've done since skinning began. atleast the bones are being weighted by "experienced model boners" and not me. lol, sorry :p

btw. i'm gonna have to stick with blue steel for a while, Magnum is still a WIP, gotta tame the bull before you let it out of its cage.

great model toonces, its come a long way. as for the height issue, i know you can shrink him like yoda, but i was referring to proportion as was bradfu i believe. good luck.
 Toonces
06-30-2002, 1:59 PM
Just a quick update, I've reconstructed most of the model. Thanks again Chesire :D Your sketch clicked with my brain. I have a bunch of things still left to do, finish the sleeves, turn some edges, make some caps, ect...

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/newsmoothing.jpg)

Klorel, I'm glad I could help in some small way ;) I've been folowing your Windu thread for quite some time. His face is dead on, incredible! I cant wait to see him in action :D

As for Sidious, I'm attempting to get the proportions just right. I have his shoulders rounded quite signifigantly behind his head, I think it's just really difficult to see with that big hood covering his shoulders. I think what I'll do is pull the bottem of the hood in a little bit, and slope it over his neck and around his shoulders, perhaps that will show off his posture better.

Oh, one last thing, Cheshire, I noticed how strait your Maul model was in the wireframes you had posted on your website, but I've noticed that in game it appears that mauls chin is pointed down and strait out. (looks incredible, and makes him look like an even bigger badass than he is) My question is, how did you weigh his head to get an effect like that?

El_graco
06-30-2002, 7:05 PM
Looks great keep up the good work
 DarExc
07-01-2002, 1:15 AM
Iv been looking for pictures of this for a bit but havn't found any so I made my own, this shows how the hood looks at the back, notice how it points out in the non holo pick at the back and how its so big at the back it kind of folds over the robe in the hologram. I think the point isn't realy because the back of the hood is pointy ;p just because it fold over so much there.

http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/Sidioushoodpoint.JPG)
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/Sidiousbackhood.JPG)
 Toonces
07-01-2002, 7:46 AM
Thanks DarExc, that second shot inspired me :D I've begun to shape the hood in the back to bunch up

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/foldedhood.jpg)

I've also hunched his neck forward like he is in RotJ, as well as brought his shoulders up to almost his neck. I am also going to make his shoulders more prominant.

I've got a favor to ask of one of you guys, what I really could use is a dead on side view of the Emperor. For what ever reason I cannot find a good detailed shot of him like that. I have been using the frame after the Luke-Palp exchange "Your over confidence is your weakness." "Your faith in your friends is yours!" He then turns to the side, and we get a great side shot from waist up. Let me know if any of you guys find a better and possibly brighter shot like that. I'm going for the whole nine, I want to get his body perfect, I'm getting there :)

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/badkitty.jpg)
 CheshireKat
07-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Now Your Cooking With Gas!

Glad to see you got things heading in the right direction.
 DarExc
07-01-2002, 11:56 AM
This isn't to clear but it is from ROTJ. The only other time I could think of that you might get a clear view of his side is when he arrives and is walking beside Vader.

http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/pics/Lightning2.jpg)

Here are a few more I made of his side, you can also see more of the back of the hood as well.

http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/sidside.JPG)
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/sidside2.JPG)
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/sidside3.JPG)
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/sidside4.JPG)

Notice in the 4th one how the folds at the front of the hood don't touch the robe they kinda stick out from the side view making a gap between them.
 nomad
07-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Hey, Nice reworking!

What took me hours to do before I was able to finish in about 20 mins.

That's great. Sure, before you were spending a lot of time paying your dues, but now you have a greater understanding. And you can apply it.
It's great to see Cheshire helping you out. Gotta love a great community.
Anyway, from the little I know about modeling, I can see what you're driving at with the poly-flow. The rework is looking nice, and I hope that you can get it to move and deform the way that you want it to. The facets on the robe seem to make sense to me, I can't quite explain it other than it looks like it has rythm, or symmetrical sense... I guess "flow".

Good Luck, don't forget about the Museum Exhibit (It ends July 7th) and when you can take a bit of a breather (probably not until after this model) I've got to see if I can pick your mind a little bit. Cheshire, you're Way out of my league. Right now, I'm just an artist that wants to see what I could do (as a complete noob with 3D modelling).

I don't seem to have any good side pics of The Emperor either.
The only one I have from ROTJ is the same one posted above. I couldn't post it anywhere though, so good job DarkExc. I'm not sure that the design of Sidious's hood in TPM is the same as ROTJ, but regardless, those are some good ref pics of the hood's folds and creases. I know that The Emperor's hood falls and folds (loosely) over the front of his shoulders.

Best of luck

-nomad

MTFBWY
 Toonces
07-01-2002, 1:20 PM
DarExc! Your a total life saver :D Thanks for the shots! I've almost got the hood shaped correctly now. I pushed some verts around to get that gap look. It's going to be intresting to unwrap like that, but I'll figure it out. The shots will be great for his torso as well, should be able to nail the proportions now :)

The arms are going to be kinda tricky, the way they blend into the robe, it might be hard to animate properly, I'll have to experment when I get that far

(Did this while sitting here typing this message)
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/almostdonehood.jpg)

I still have to shape the back of his shoulders/back of neck region, but the hood is almost finished now :D

Nomad, you can pick my brain anytime :) I'm sure I can answer most of your basic to moderate modeling questions. Cheshire, Sith, Kinja, they are the real experts here, I'm just trying not to screw up much :p I didn't forget about that Exhibit, I'm going to schedule time later this week. I'll be sure to bring a good camera, I want to recreate that thick cloth texture that is on the robe. :)

Oh, thanks again Cheshire for that sketch you make, looking at your wireframe, then seeing the sketch made something click :)

Really moving now :D
 EmperorJello
07-01-2002, 2:07 PM
Assorted Palpatine pics:

http://www.dmeb.net/speb/view_ep.html)

BTW, it's not my site.
 Lucko Mabri
07-01-2002, 2:36 PM
Now thats one good hood :D

-Lucko Mabri
 nomad
07-01-2002, 3:29 PM
Nice!!
Toonces, I know that those guys are the experts :) I'm not close to being worthy or ready to bother them with my questions,
but now by the looks of it, I shouldn't be bothering you either! :p
You keep getting better and better.

Anyway, I'll bug you soon enough. Right now... I don't want to disrupt the roll your on. Keep going, man!

Tchouky's Mod is amazing! You think the Emperor's .9 or less? We''ll have to do the math and get it right on.
(.86 -.2 [for hunching]) *(10 for ultimate Sith Power) = :lightning

-nomad
 DarExc
07-01-2002, 10:58 PM
Excellent, the hood looks great, you sure have come a very long way with this! I find it hard to believe you havn't been making models for a long time. Now for my next bit of nit picking ;p, the clasp. I gave you the link to this before but might as well put it up for referance again.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~tk421/DSbrooch2001sm.jpg)

and also this I took myself of the size of the clasp on the robe and where it sits.

http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/Sidclasp.JPG)

It looks as though its a bit larger than his mouth when its in a stait line (if that'll help) and it sits under the folds of the front of the hood at the top corners. Also it is in the shape of a rectangle but it bends inwards a few times on each side (if that is possible to do). Another thing I would sugest is to keep the robe in the closed position because if it doesn't flow it would look kind of strange and I think he would close it (like Sidious keeps it) when in battle. If you do close it just keep the line down the centre of the robe like Sidious robe has, you can see it in the above picture. If you keep it open I will help you with that look later =)
 Sounds Risky
07-02-2002, 12:22 AM
I did the math, and Palpatine would be 0.95 in mulitplayer.
 icepool
07-02-2002, 12:28 AM
My god, this is definately another must have when completed this is so ****ing good!!!!!!!!!! Great job you the man!!!!!!!!!:lightning
 Toonces
07-02-2002, 6:57 AM
You guys are too much :D I'm just glad somebody other than me is actually intrested in this project, keeps me going :)

Keep on nitpicking DarExc, I'm going to try my best to get him as accurate as possible, and there always seems to be some little minute detail that I miss, it's extremely helpful. I moved the clasp up just under the hood, looks like it's in the right position now. I made that rectangle template in about 30 seconds just so I'd have something there, it's definatly not the final shape. When I get to the exibit this week I'll take note of the shape and general depth (not to self, bring sketchbook)

I'm almost finished with shaping his back, I used a still frame from RotJ (that exchange I was talking about earlier) I'll post some shots when I get a little further.

Found a funny little pic over on the AtoC forums :)
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/17.gif)
without a doubt a fake, but cool none the less (note to Lucas, give Palp a sabre next movie, and have him fight Windu)

I'm also toying around with the idea of including a sabre model, I found this somewhere (I forget where)
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/PalpCloneSM.jpg)
It's from the EU I understand, and belonged to one of Palps clones (Or host body, I'm not 100% clear on that)

I was thinking of perhaps just making up a cool design. If someone wants to model that saber, or has a cool idea for one for the Dark Lord, give me a shout, I'd love to be able to include a badass saber with the model.

EmperorJello
07-02-2002, 8:18 AM
This is the pic of the clasp from Ep. I posted earlier: http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/Sidclasp.JPG)

But if you look at a pic from ROTJ, it appears to be lower: http://www.dmeb.net/speb/foryoureyes/Emperor04.jpg)
http://www.dmeb.net/speb/foryoureyes/Emperor26.jpg)

Feel free to look at that site I posted earlier... they have lots of Palpatine pictures.
 DarExc
07-02-2002, 9:46 AM
It is in about the same place, the folds still go over the corners in one pic. One thing though is that Sidious and Palpatine robes are aranged different. Personaly I prefer Sidious robe but thats just me. The new robes for the Jedi are different as well because if you look at obiwan in ANH the top of his robe is pointed.

If you notice the old Emperor robes were very basic and didn't even have a very big hood. I am certain the new robes will be used when they redo the Palpatine scene in ESB.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/theempire/img/movie_sm.jpg)
 Toonces
07-02-2002, 10:18 AM
Here's where I am now with the upperbody, ignore the pointy arms, I havent touched them yet
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/hoodnshoulder.jpg)

The robe in RotJ is extremely close to the one in TPM, I put (damn, WinDVD wont let me capture grr) DarExc pointed out the main diffrence, the robe, the clasp, it sits lower.

Right now I have that in the position it is in TPM. His robe doesn't have the point at the top of the head like Obi's did in ANH, but I beleive in both movies (RotJ and TPM) the hood is shaped the same way, the other big diffrence seems to be that the folded over hood slopes further down his back in RtoJ. I think I'll keep the hood like Sidious has it in Phantom and AotC, I just dig the style :D

It's too bad I cant take this screeny I'm talking about, it's at 1hr28:16 in RotJ. Palp is in the exact same position as the screenshot below.
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/sidside2.JPG)

If I can get windvd working I'll cap it

Still adjusting, looking more and more like final :) Thanks guys

Grets Sirob
07-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Now, who could I replace.......

Looks good:thumbsup:!
Can't wait to own it(and the bot:D)

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.
 DarExc
07-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Here are 3 images I got from around 1hr 38min because the time you said for me was a rebel seen *YUK* ;p. Hope these are what you wanted cause I tore my shirt pulling the VCR out the rack for these =) but Sidious will be worth it. I think the 3rd one is the clearest but you can't expect much out of VHS. Let me know when you are ready to move on to the lower part of the robes or where ever you are heading next. I still prefer the look of Sidiouses robes as well =). Also I looked at him and the clasp is in the same spot its just hard to notice in MANY scenes but if you look hard enouph you will see it. In a few shot maybe the front where it sits just get wieghed down a bit if it isn't there.

http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/palside.JPG)
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/palside2.JPG)
http://www.magma.ca/~lcauley/Temp/palside3.JPG)
 nomad
07-02-2002, 1:28 PM
Nice job DarExc,

Those screenies pretty much match up the camera angle of your lates model screenshot, Toonces.
I do believe that's what you were looking at :lightning

It's nice and subtle, but I can see the slumped shoulders and the curve near the neck, just barely, beneath the hood. Very Nice looking Toonces! It's really matching up with those shots.

The real difference in the cloaks is that in the prequels it's nice and new. It's still stiff in places, where in ROTJ it's basically old rags. Yes, I'm looking forward to using this model.
Notice how we're not even rushing you at all. (unlike some other threads) :lightning
Take your time... slowly build your power... Out of the spot light... silently take over...
And CLAIM YOUR POSITION AS SUPREME RULER OF THE JEDI OUTCAST MODELING COMMUNITY! :lightning
:lightning :lightning
:lightning
heheheehehe...

wow sorry for all the lightnings... I was going to edit them out, but this page is almost done anyways. I'll leave them in All their glory.
 Toonces
07-02-2002, 4:10 PM
heh, building my power ;)

You nailed the pic I was looking at, I hid the windvd window in the bottem corner when I was doing the hood/back earlier, now I can put it in as a viewport background

http://drivingcatstudios.com/sidshood.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/newfront.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/71perspec.jpg)

That second shot really doesnt do the model justice, I think it's the shader I was using, totally flattened it out. Anyway, that's where I am now, I might have the ends of his shoulders too low, perhaps I'll raise them a bit. I'm going to try and finish up the shape and size of the robe, just the torso and hips, then uvmap them, I can make adjustments once I get a basic skin on it, I just need to put something on it to get a little depth. As for the arms, they are going to be tricky, I might have to completely weight them in order to adjust them too much further

It's like 4am here, bedtime ;)

www.drivingstudios.com)
 __CKY__
07-02-2002, 4:14 PM
looks really good :D good job so far man how much longer till release :confused:
 LINK-ER
07-02-2002, 11:22 PM
Toonces, I haven't gotten a chance to read all the new posts and look at all the new screens, but I know you are doing great. (I'm leaving to go get my driving permit now hehehe). If you have AOL or AOL instant messenger, message me at LINKER2K2 tonight. If not, my email addy is LiNuXProggy@cs.com I'd really like to talk to you.
 Vindicator
07-02-2002, 11:53 PM
Your hatred has made you powerful...

Now, fulfill your destiny and KEEP IT GOING!

<This has been a shameless BUMP and MAD PROPZ session>

Toonces, did I mention you rock? :D

:slsaber: :lightning
 nomad
07-03-2002, 3:41 AM
*nomad jumps up and down like a giddy, little school boy*

Can't wait to see it with skins!
Those screens deserve another :lightning
Page: 4 of 5