Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How To Make New Multiplayer Skins (without replacing current ones - UPDATED)

Page: 1 of 2
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
04-01-2002, 2:54 PM
Here's what you do (this is a bit longwinded, but it's not really that complicated, I'm just being very thorough)...

1) First thing you may want to do is extract the original model and skins from our assets0.pk3 file. You will find this file in the "base" directory (look where you installed the game - there should be a "base" dir in the GameData directory). Open that file with WinZip (WinZip can open it) and go down the list until you find all the files in the directory for the model you want to modify. All models are in models/players (sort by "path"). So, for example, Lando is in models/players/lando. Select all the files in that directory and extract them into your "base" directory. When you extract make sure that you have the "use folder names" option checked. You should now have a "models" directory inside the "base" dir, a "players" dir in the the "models" dir, and inside "players" you should see the dir of the model you extracted (in this example, "lando").

2) In that folder, you will find a text file called model_default.skin. This is the file that tells the game what image files to apply to each part (surface - collection of polys) of the model. Copy this and rename it to use your new skin name (using the example "solo", for instance: model_default_solo.skin). Note that the "default" MUST be in the skin file's name or the game will not recognize it as a selectable skin.

3) Now open up the .jpg and .tga files in that directory and modify whichever ones you want to, then save them out *under a different name*. When you do, find the name of the image file you modified in the new .skin file you copied and replace the name of the original image file with the name of the new one you just saved. (When we release the model viewer, you'll be able to preview your work).

4) Now you have a .skin file that points to the new image files. All you have to do now is make your "icon" image. This is the small, square picture that shows up in the menu when you're browsing what skin to use (also shows up in-game on the HUD in certain circumstances). You will need to make a new one for your new skin. Open up the original for reference, make your new one and save it back out with a new name, following the name renaming guidelines as the .skin file... so the original icon is called icon_default.jpg, save your new one as icon_default_solo.jpg (again, using "solo" as the example).

5) Now you're done! It will work in the game on your computer (try it out), now you just need to put it together for other people to see. You need to zip it up into a .pk3 file like the others in the "base" dir. Now, since you want to make sure the .zip file remembers the path to each file (remember how when you extracted files into the "base" dir, it created all the right subdirectories?), you have to add the files to the .zip file from a dir higher then "models" and you must add using "wildcards" (don't worry, I'm about to explain and walk you through it). The best way I've found to do this is to make a new directory in "GameData" called "mods" (or whatever you want to call it). This acts as a substitute "base" dir for our current purpose of zipping up your work. Copy the "models" folder into this new folder (if you have more than one skin you've done, be sure the copied "players" dir only has the model you just modified). Now, go back up to your "mods"(or whatever you named it) dir and create a new .zip file. Open it up and hit the "Add" button to add files. Browse to the "mods" directory you just made and make sure that "include subfolders" is checked. Then click on "Add With Wildcards". This will add all the files you just made and include the folder/directory path to them (you should be able to verify this when you're done adding and look at the file list in the .zip file). Make sure the .zip file only contains the new files you made (not, for example, the original image files), this way you keep your filesize down and don't accidently overwrite other people's files. Now save and exit WinZip, and rename the file to whatever you want and change the extension from "zip" to "pk3".

You're done! Upload the file somewhere and share the goodness!
 Prophet
04-01-2002, 3:03 PM
Chang, I've been itching to make skins since I got the game, but so far haven't because of lack of a model viewer. I downlaoded the SoF2 viewer today to see if it would work with JK2, but so far I haven't had any luck. Is it possible to get it to work with JKII, and if so, how?
 Prophet
04-01-2002, 3:15 PM
ah well, thats good to know :)
dont suppose you could provide any information on the modelling/animation of skins? I'm assuming the _humanoid.gla is the animation file for humanoid models. Will there be a glm importer/exporter? And how complex would it be to attach the default animations to a custom model (I have skinning/modelling experience but no animation)?
 Prophet
04-01-2002, 3:33 PM
followed your above instructions, and they do work. now I can get to work on some skinning :)
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
04-01-2002, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by Prophet
ah well, thats good to know :)
dont suppose you could provide any information on the modelling/animation of skins? I'm assuming the _humanoid.gla is the animation file for humanoid models. Will there be a glm importer/exporter? And how complex would it be to attach the default animations to a custom model (I have skinning/modelling experience but no animation)?

If you have MAX, we will be releasing a plug-in/exporter for MAX and our ghoul2 compiler that should allow you to make custom .glm meshes (or modify ours) and apply them to our animation skeleton (the _humanoid.gla file)
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
04-01-2002, 5:41 PM
Originally posted by Prophet
Chang, I've been itching to make skins since I got the game, but so far haven't because of lack of a model viewer. I downlaoded the SoF2 viewer today to see if it would work with JK2, but so far I haven't had any luck. Is it possible to get it to work with JKII, and if so, how?

NOTE: for clarity, deleted some previous posts asking about this

You can get it to work, here's how (NOTE: when our tools come out sometime in the next week, use those instead):

Extract the _humanoid.gla and animation.cfg following the same instructions as above (extract into the GameData/base folder and the files should appear in the directory: GameData/base/models/players/_humanoid).

Extract the models.shader file using the above instructions (extract into GameData/base. the file should appear in the dir: GameData/base/shaders).

Extract any models/players directories you want to view/modify (see above instructions).

Open ModView. Go to open a file and browse to the .glm file in the GameData/base/models/players directory of the model you want to view.

Voila!

PS: for those of you looking for the SoF Skinning Contest download (that includes ModView), get it here (http://www.activision.com/games/soldieroffortune/contest/SOF2skinmod.zip)
 Holiday
04-01-2002, 5:45 PM
thanks for the skin tut Chang....i'll post a pic when my skin is ready :D

-Holiday
 jipe
04-01-2002, 6:00 PM
NOTE: when our tools come out sometime in the next week, use those instead

Can I hug you? No, wait - will you marry me?
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
04-01-2002, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by jipe

Can I hug you? No, wait - will you marry me?

Sorry, I'm taken:
http://www2.ravensoft.com/users/mgummelt/july19-98.jpg)

And, no, we don't do threesomes.
 ZeroXcape
04-01-2002, 6:26 PM
Are we showing off limo pictures?

( almost three years ago )

http://www.impulsenetwork.com/zeroxcape.com/prom.jpg)
 GRIMLOCK
04-01-2002, 6:49 PM
thats what i really enjoy about raven :p
u guys are social with the players :)
not even Verant has a nice bond with its players like u guys (let alone (does any other company) give out hints and tips for free)
anywho

will there be a GMax plug in for those of us using that?
 gauss
04-01-2002, 7:16 PM
i am so very happy that Raven:

1.) max tools for JK2 (i know that they do a lot of work in Softimage)
2.)going to release said tools :)
3.)also, for making the brilliant game.

haven't finished playing it by a long sight, but the light saber stuff has the highest 'wow' factor of any game i've played since max payne. and i loooved max payne. so, thanks for the heads up, back to working on some meshes now...
 Phaedrus
04-01-2002, 7:36 PM
I searched the folder and there is no PK0.pk3 file. I have assests1 and assests0 and that's it.

I searched m comp for a PK0.pk3 file and the only place it turned up was in my Q3A demo.

Help... please.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
04-01-2002, 8:08 PM
Originally posted by Phaedrus
I searched the folder and there is no PK0.pk3 file. I have assests1 and assests0 and that's it.

I searched m comp for a PK0.pk3 file and the only place it turned up was in my Q3A demo.

Help... please.

That's me being stupid, it's not pak0.pk3, it's assets0.pk3. Thanks for the correction, I've fixed my original post...

:/
 JRA_Wolf
04-01-2002, 8:21 PM
Hey Khan, any idea on an ETA for the SDK/tools?
 jipe
04-01-2002, 8:43 PM
Do you know how to read?

NOTE: when our tools come out sometime in the next week, use those instead
 heeb
04-01-2002, 9:07 PM
take a chill pill jipe, and try to get some perspective. maybe that post meant a day or span of days, rather than a week.
 JRA_Wolf
04-01-2002, 9:39 PM
I was looking for a specific day, k thx welcome to my ignore list bye
 Vorax
04-01-2002, 9:49 PM
Any chance you could give us an exact date on the tools delivery? Even if it is just the .def file or just the compiler.

I have 1 CTF map already to go for JKII and another FFA on the final stages. I am with the Wired Lamp Studios group and we will have a bunch of stuff ready to go as soon as that compiler and .def file are out.

Yes, I know I am impatient, but I have been waiting since this game was announced ;) With only 4 CTF maps in the game, the clans need more, and we aim to give it to them.

- Vorax
 CheshireKat
04-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Can you give us some Recomendations on Modeling Chang?

Polys, Skins and especially Upper and Lower rules. From what I can tell there's no Legs N Torso right? I hope not.

Gauss. Good to see ya here. Maybe We could hook up on a modeling project eh?
 Danica
04-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Hey Mr. Raven guy...I have a question...there are some skins/models that are in SP and not in MP...would it be okay for someone to make them availiable for MP use and credit all of the skins/models to Raven or is this just a no-no in general?
 Tempered Fox
04-01-2002, 11:13 PM
My winzip program just unpacks the .pk3 file into a bunch of files but doesn't include the sub folders and such, just a big list of all the files and no folders, can anyone tell me how to change this? i looked in all the options and I can't find anything. can someone tell me how to get the sub folders to show up?
 SkataN
04-01-2002, 11:40 PM
Get PakScape .11 best pak./pk3 explorer ive seen. Has subdirectories and everything. Really nice. Get it here:

http://www.3dap.com/eliteforce/owen/)
 Danica
04-01-2002, 11:53 PM
gah can someone help me..I'm creating a skin..but when I test it out the icon shows up just fine, but the skin comes out as kyle katarn!
 jipe
04-02-2002, 12:25 AM
Really, I thought it was fairly straightforward - "sometime in the next week" is really quite specific, especially since in the past we've been told "sometime after the game's release". Seven days is quite exact when compared to "whenever". It's probably hard to know the *exact* day of release anyways, since it depends on problems that pop up, etc... therefore a week is about as close as you can get. If ChangKhan knew the specific day he would tell us.
 SkyNet
04-02-2002, 1:25 AM
Im getting some trouble my skin will show the pic in the main menu to select it but in game no where to be found... plz download it and tell me whats wrong and if u can upload it back he fixed version... http://www.tribes2maps.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2462)

thanks
 NetStalker
04-02-2002, 1:52 AM
what about making skins that are avail in Team play

like the Darthmaul skin just turns into a Reborn skin in a team match
 SkataN
04-02-2002, 2:07 AM
Skynet im guessing your problem is where mine first laid. Do what the Raven guy said(sorry, forgot your name), make the mod directory and copy all the subdirectorys into...so should be something like :

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Mods\models\players\darthvader

where darth vader is the example model....

then, inside the mods directory, create a new zip file, click add,locate and select the folder which reads models and click
add with wildcards. After thats done zipping exit winzip and open your pk3 file saver (i recomend pakscape.11(
http://www.3dap.com/eliteforce/owen/) and open the zip file, then save as .pk3 put it in the base directory and your ready to go. Please Mr. Raven tell me if i mentioned something wrong here, but this worked fine for me, I sent it to my friend and it worked great for him.

(On a side note, while opening the default.skin text file, i noticed bbunch of files wich read stormtroopers.cap, I didnt mess with tthese files and it works fine)
 SkyNet
04-02-2002, 2:17 AM
plz reupload the file fixed i cant get it to work
 SkataN
04-02-2002, 2:25 AM
All you do is select the models folder in a new winzip file after clicking "add",(not the one in your base directory, but the one in your mods folder)then click add wildcard, that will store the directories and subdirectories paths. then save as pk3
 SkataN
04-02-2002, 2:27 AM
Lol, you didn't even save it as pk3 file, ill fix it then upload it on the forum i downloaded it on
 Danica
04-02-2002, 2:33 AM
skatan I have the same problem as sky and I tried what you said but it still shows up as kyle =(
 SkyNet
04-02-2002, 2:39 AM
skatan i got it fixed man...but one arm is missing on him!! LOL I dont know what happened.
 Danica
04-02-2002, 2:45 AM
how'd you fix it sky??? please heelp me!
 SkataN
04-02-2002, 2:45 AM
ill be posting it on his forums in a sec... as for now here is a picture of his model....you need to fix the arm

http://www.geocities.com/skatanii/pics)

ok and your zip file is now posted on the above forum link you listed. Just put the pk3 file in your base directory and your good to go
 Danica
04-02-2002, 2:47 AM
skatan if I send you my pk3 can you fix it for me? please?
 UniKorn
04-02-2002, 2:49 AM
Originally posted by Vorax
Any chance you could give us an exact date on the tools delivery? Even if it is just the .def file or just the compiler.
- Vorax

Allready asked Mr. Hoekstra mate, we'll have to wait :(

UniKorn
Mapper 4 Wired Lamp Studios
http://www.wiredlampstudios.com)
 SkataN
04-02-2002, 2:51 AM
sure send away maxedpayne@hotmail.com
 SkyNet
04-02-2002, 3:00 AM
I dont know how to fix his arm help!
 Danica
04-02-2002, 3:01 AM
okay sent away skatan...
 Aiee
04-02-2002, 7:11 PM
Oookay. I followed the above instructions and created a pk3 file in jk2/gamedats/base called aiee.pk3 (Original, I know. I'm just testing it out). The pk3 archive contains files all located inside the path models\player\shadowtrooper

the pk3 file contains modded jpgs, model_default_aiee.skin, containing references to the new pictures, icon_default_aiee.jpg, model.glm, test.md3, Thumbs.db, sounds.cfg and animsounds.cfg

When I load up the game and go to the player config menu (doesn't matter if it's the one in the setup menu or ingame), I can scroll through icons until I reach the default shadowtrooper icon on the far right. Now, assuming the icons are in alphabetic order, model_default_aiee.skin should appear after model_default.skin, so I hit the next arrow to select my new skin.

At this point, the game crashes, and I am dumped at the MP console with a flashing error message reading

"Requested feature was omitted at compile time"
The last lines of the console read:

--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:28070
Hostname: xxx.xxx.dk
IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Working directory: D:\jk2\GameData
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
-----------------------
Requested feature was omitted at compile time

Now, my question is: What on earth did I do wrong?
 farmerBob
04-03-2002, 4:14 AM
Just a guess, but I suppose that when you zip up your skin files you're supposed to use NO compression? I don't think that was ever stated, and it is probably why Aiee is having problems.
 Aiee
04-03-2002, 4:20 AM
Just tried making a new zip using no compression. Same result as before :/
 Mr.Wiz
04-03-2002, 7:49 AM
I saw your post Aiee. I was fooling with the skins and I had the same problem. I fixed that by changing the way my image program compressed the .jpg files that I edited. Compare the originals with the ones you made and you will probably see a file size/compression difference. Play with that setting and maybe it will help.
 Aiee
04-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Hmmm.. Point. I'll give that a go. Right now, I'm using Maximum quality (80% on the slider) in PS6's save for web compression. Perhaps fooling with it for a bit will help.
 Crease
04-03-2002, 11:40 AM
So, can the new skin be used in public multi-player matches or is it just for your own private viewing?
 Aiee
04-03-2002, 12:35 PM
the skin can be used if everyone has it. If the server has the skin, you can turn on an option on your client to automatically download it if you don't have it.
 Mark_Li
04-04-2002, 5:06 AM
Ive got the same problem, this business of requested feature omitted at compile time.

Help. I beg of you.
 junior
04-04-2002, 12:37 PM
I followed your notes on creating skins but I can't seem to get it to happen. Do you have any more info?
 jbizkitz
04-04-2002, 7:03 PM
I have read the tut and I made the skin ok and my skin shows up in the setup section...but when try to host a server it doesnt show up. I have 2 other skins that work. Please help.
Page: 1 of 2