Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Playable Demo

Page: 1 of 1
 matt--
06-02-2001, 6:01 PM
Ok. E3 is done with and JKO has been into production for a few months. When do you expect a playable demo will be available? Perhaps they'll release an early build to quench our thirst for the Force!

I know it isn't likely, but I can dream.
 Boba Rhett
06-02-2001, 6:05 PM
Considering how They've dealt with demos of thier other games I'd say the demo will be out at about the same time as the actual game.
 matt--
06-02-2001, 6:08 PM
Yes, but one could argue that JKII isn't going to be like any other game. It's being developed by Raven. Perhaps they will prepare a demo pre-launch. Or one will be leaked.
 StormHammer
06-02-2001, 6:09 PM
As Rhett said, not until the game's out, or nearly out. Which makes it some time next year, possibly Spring - unless they decide to add even more levels and make the game longer...hint...hint... ;)
 wardz
06-02-2001, 6:20 PM
Did raven release demo's early for their other games?

wardz
 matt--
06-02-2001, 6:24 PM
Not sure on how raven releases demos...I'll check into it.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-02-2001, 8:13 PM
I like to play demo's of games before I buy them, but I don't think it's going to be necessary considering all the good games Raven has released, and just how good of a gaming company they are.

But I am hoping for an early demo or some kind of leaked beta thing.
 ed_silvergun
06-02-2001, 8:50 PM
When will games developers/publishers learn? Look at id. That's a nice piece of software they got there, the Quake III engine. So good, in fact, that it is being used to power innumerable games, from Elite Force, to Alice to SOF 2. In fact, it's even being used to power this very game, JK II.

Why is it so good? Well perhaps, dear games developers and publishers, it's because id released beta versions of the game, with code intact and a couple of playable levels for people to test. This way, any problems were reported to the developers and most of them were ironed out long before the game's release. The engine is extraordinarily reliable and stable, with few if any glitches on modern hardware. End-user satisfaction was virtually guaranteed, as many of these people buying the game had been actively contributing to its development process by testing the game, providing feedback on it and reporting any bugs they found.

What and entirely ridiculous and extraordinary way of doing things! What will those mad folks at id think up next?

So, come on guys! A beta test is beneficial to both us, the people who will be buying the game, and you, the developers/publishers. We get an early peek at the game, you get comments, feedback and reports of any bugs we find. So come on. Why not? Eh?
 runab0ut
06-02-2001, 9:30 PM
raven do release demos from their games like 3-4 months before crunch mode or something... actually it depends on their mood or something too heretic II has a demo for 5 months, ST:VE i think has a demo when it was about to be released.

they have to finalize something or be happy with the build before they let a demo out.

remember Q3A was test released because of the network optimizations online and the core game renderer itself!

JK2 would be very diffrent unless they made all drastic changes to the renderer and network code. so pre-alpha build "test" release? i think no. :D
 ed_silvergun
06-02-2001, 9:35 PM
Bugs occur whenever engine code is changed. Remember, Raven are incorporating new AI routines and such like, and doubtless tweaking other aspects of the game engine. Hence I still believe a beta test would be beneficial to all involved.
 digl
06-02-2001, 11:03 PM
I think LEC will say when the demo is released
No demo will be leaked I think, and I doubt there will be open beta testing
Well just have to wait and see
 Boba Rhett
06-02-2001, 11:13 PM
It's doesn't matter when Raven usually releases their demos. Raven can't release the demo until LucasArts tells them they can.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-03-2001, 1:34 PM
I don't think LucasArts really has any say on what they can and can't release. LucasArts is just there to tell them what can and can't be in the storyline and such.
 Jedi Howell
06-03-2001, 1:39 PM
Ki-Adi, I wish that were so, but I believe that LEC is directing Raven. Remember the part of one of the threads where Jake Simpson said that screenshots were LEC? I believe demos would be next to screenshots on "Releasable Stuff", and that LEC directs that and some other things.

jh
 digl
06-03-2001, 6:56 PM
Im afraid you are right Howell
LEC is in charge of marketing the game
 ed_silvergun
06-03-2001, 7:42 PM
LEC is very much in charge of the marketing of this game. It is their exclusive prerogative to decide on the release of screenshots, playable demos, beta tests, and whatnot. Nothing will leave Raven's offices without LEC's say-so: as we all know by now, they're pretty protective of the Star Wars license.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: ed_silvergun ]
 Yun24
07-25-2001, 8:50 PM
LucasArts releases most of their demos in the homestretch of the game being developed. It's gonna be awile. :(
 CaptainRAVE
07-26-2001, 4:22 PM
JKs demo was released about 3 months before the full game came out in the UK. It would be cool if that happened again :)
 WD_ToRMeNt
07-26-2001, 7:07 PM
JK was released about 2 weeks before the demo in the US. I looked throught some info about games Raven has made, and they tend to release demos a couple months before the full.

It's almost impossible to tell when the JK2 demo will be released though. LEC has Raven on leash for sure. We've never seen LEC release a game made by another company, so there is are no examples to look at.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: -WD- ToRMeNt ]
 digl
07-26-2001, 9:41 PM
You are looking through some pretty old posts Yun24!
 Bartolo_JCS
07-27-2001, 12:07 AM
huh?
 GonkH8er
07-27-2001, 6:07 AM
digl- i think someone went fully off at him for making a new post about something that's official thread hasnt been used in weeks, so maybe he was just being extra cautious before starting a new post on the demo.

i think we should make a general rule that if its not in the last 30-40 topics, it can be re-topiced (word?)

anyway, i believe we'll have a demo around xmas.
 Boba Rhett
07-27-2001, 7:09 AM
I do believe that it's retopicated.
 GonkH8er
07-27-2001, 7:12 AM
retopicated? sounds like we have a new word for it :)
 Wilhuf
07-27-2001, 12:13 PM
LEC has published a few games that were developed jointly with third parties. For instance, Battle for Naboo and X-Wing Alliance. Both shipped demos near the time the full products were first in stores in the US.

I'd guess we'll get an Outcast demo sometime around product release. Hopefully they won't pull a Dynamix and wait for months after the full product release to publish a demo.
 CaptainRAVE
07-27-2001, 5:02 PM
I think its better to look for older posts. That way we can compare the knowledge we had then to the information we have know. Its more fun that way.
 nykel007
07-27-2001, 6:55 PM
I think a demo would be released just before the game itself. And if so, it'll be the same demo seen at E3. What the sense of making a new level just to release for free.
 Gabrobot
07-27-2001, 6:58 PM
They'll probably take one of the levels in JO that represents the game best, like in JK.
 Wilhuf
07-27-2001, 6:58 PM
Publicity.

Welcome to the forums, nykel.
 CaptainRAVE
07-27-2001, 7:12 PM
I remember the JK demo very very well. It was AWSOME :D .
 GonkH8er
07-28-2001, 3:21 AM
level 6 is still one of my favourite jk sp maps.... :)
Page: 1 of 1