Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Page: 3 of 5
 DarthParametric
11-23-2011, 8:44 AM
The main quest will give you the means to pass through.

As far as play after the main quest goes, I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case. It's one of the main features of a TES game.
 Darth Payne
11-23-2011, 9:05 AM
:) I mostly asked because i haven't actually gotten through any TES game yet.

And i have both Morrowind and Oblivion...

Edit: I got past the glitch i mentioned earlier on another save. :) And though interesting, that is not what i felt was worth double posting about. :)

Near the end of the Dark Brotherhood questline i get to use a horse called Shadowmere (this horse has an interesting intro), later i get over encumbered and choose to try the horse (which luckily happened to be nearby) and found it moved faster than i did on foot. I then chose to try and leave a marker on a nearby town, only to find i was fast travelling instead.

I will be double checking this soon. :)

Edit: Yep, it worked. :) Man, i love this horse...
Edit2: Btw, does anyone know where one can find more Blades armor? I found (i think) all of the pieces of the armor at Sky Haven Temple, but seem to have lost the armor section somewhere...
 Dak Drexl
11-23-2011, 2:28 PM
Yep, there were a couple Shadowmere exploits in Oblivion too. Since he couldn't die you could "kill" him, "search" him, and put your equipment on his body. To get your stuff back you'd just kill him again haha. Interesting that he makes another appearance.

Still don't have this game yet since my xbox is at school and that would just be bad. Looking forward to it over winter break though :)
 Taak Farst
11-23-2011, 6:23 PM
Daedric Armor looks bloody badass. Worth investing into Smithing
 Darth Payne
11-23-2011, 6:26 PM
:( The horse Shadowmere was just killed.

I found on a wiki: 'If Shadowmere dies wait long enough for his body to de-spawn and return the the place where he died and he will be standing there alive.', i have real idea what thatmeans exactly.

Wait long enough for his body to de-spawn?

How long is that exactly? I want my horse back...

Edit: Taak? I prefer the Steel Armor myself, or Ebony... On just looks alone that is. :)
 Ztalker
11-24-2011, 9:07 AM
Daedric Armor looks bloody badass. Worth investing into Smithing

If you join The Companions, you'll get acces to a Smith who can teach you upto Master level. Also, using leather and leather strips, you can constantly make leather bracers that will level you quickly, relatively cheap.

Currently trying to craft mine...on the look for Deadra hearts!
 Darth Payne
11-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, if you've gotten the museum quest you can do that...

You'll get four hearts at the end of it, and you might get more if you visit the Dagon shrine later...

Edit: Hey, i have a question...

Does anyone have the locations of all eight dragon priests that leave masks behind?
 Canderis
11-26-2011, 10:14 PM
 Darth Payne
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Hmm, theres a lot of potential in those areas...
 DarthParametric
11-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah I posted that several days ago, but I think everybody was too busy playing to notice. It's odd whatever the future plan for the game is. If it was DLC, why not just add it later? Seems more likely it was cut content, but I guess we'll find out eventually.
 Darth Payne
11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Ya did?

Huh, i thought it looked a bit familiar...
 Sabretooth
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM
I think some bored guy just put it all in for ****s and giggles.
 stoffe
11-27-2011, 6:01 AM
Yeah I posted that several days ago, but I think everybody was too busy playing to notice. It's odd whatever the future plan for the game is. If it was DLC, why not just add it later? Seems more likely it was cut content, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

It's not just there to provide an accurate distant land view (and prevent the player from ever encountering any "end of the world" glitches), since the game has no skybox that draws mountains and other distant landmarks?

Haven't explored that much around the boundraries of the Skyrim map so don't know how much you can actually see of other provinces from within the game areas you normally can go to. But it sounds like one explanation at least.
 DarthParametric
11-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that's mentioned in the article. You don't pull back anywhere near far enough to see the whole map (or even any significant portion of it outside Skyrim itself), not to mention that all the borders are covered in fog anyway.
 Darth Payne
11-27-2011, 1:15 PM
Hey, are there any news about the patch?

For the 360 that is, as that is where i'm playing it. :)
 DarthParametric
11-27-2011, 9:02 PM
The console certification process take forever. It was due this weekend originally, but it could be that it got held up by either MS or Sony (or both). Meanwhile, the master race gets screwed over once again.
 Taak Farst
11-27-2011, 9:55 PM
The console certification process take forever. It was due this weekend originally, but it could be that it got held up by either MS or Sony (or both). Meanwhile, the master race gets screwed over once again.

Sorry, am I missing something? Master Race?
 DarthParametric
11-27-2011, 9:57 PM
 Darth Payne
11-27-2011, 10:01 PM
oooh, why i oughta...

Edit: I'm kinda hoping that i'll find the eight masked dragon priests through high hrothgar and Arngeir...
 stoffe
11-28-2011, 4:15 AM
Edit: I'm kinda hoping that i'll find the eight masked dragon priests through high hrothgar and Arngeir...

As far as I have been able to tell there are no direct pointers or hints to where the priests are found. Most of them seems to be found either outdoors near word walls, or inside dungeons/crypts/ruins, either guarding walls or as part of some side quest for that dungeon. One of them is encountered near the end of the main storyline.

The ones I've found so far:

Nahkriin - at Skuldafn (outdoors, main quest)
Morokei - inside Labyrinthian
Krosis - at Shearpoint by the Word Wall (outdoors)
Rahgot - in Forelhost barrow
Volsung - in Volskygge barrow
Vokun - in High Gate Ruins
Otar - in Ragnvald barrow
Hevnoraak - in Valthume barrow

It seems that while Arngeir can point you in the direction of most of the Word Walls, he won't give you the location of ones located within sealed places that only open as part of a plot arc. It seems like the Imperial/Stormcloak, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Mage College and Companions plot arcs each have one Word Wall inside a locked dungeon that can only be reached by doing their quests. :/
 Darth Payne
11-28-2011, 4:21 AM
Thanks stoffe. :)

Did you see my previous posting about the wooden mask? (for those that missed it: It seems that if you put on that wooden mask when in the same room as the statue in labyrinthian your taken back in time to when the room was sealed, and still intact. It also seems that you can place each mask in its own slot on that statue.)

I look forward to finding out exactly that statue does when i place all eight masks there. :)
 Achilles
11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
So after 34 hours, my conclusion concerning the engine is that if this is not Gamebryo, then Gamebryo was unfairly criticised for the issues in Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion. Pretty much all the same issues are still present, so presumably whatever proprietary Gamebryo code they stripped out was not responsible. My particular favourite in this new incarnation is that they seem to have ramped up the wacky item physics to a point now where most buildings seem to be perpetually possessed by poltergeist (say that 3 times fast), with dishes and such flying about all over the place every time you enter. Read today and confirmed when I got home that the paranormal activity is a function of having v-sync turned off (or more specifically that the physics engine freaks out when the graphics start pushing frame rates too high; an issue which v-sync prevents).

Turned v-sync on when I got home. No tearing, no poltergeists, no funky water flickering in any indoor areas that contain water.
 DarthParametric
11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Ah, I see. Kind of lame, but I guess I'll have to switch that sucker back on.

EDIT: Patch is out now for PS3 and tomorrow for 360 and PC. Patch notes -

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)
 Salzella
11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead

...lol? :raise:
 DarthParametric
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Sneak peek at the inevitable zombie DLC?
 ChAiNz.2da
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Read today and confirmed when I got home that the paranormal activity is a function of having v-sync turned off (or more specifically that the physics engine freaks out when the graphics start pushing frame rates too high; an issue which v-sync prevents).

Turned v-sync on when I got home. No tearing, no poltergeists, no funky water flickering in any indoor areas that contain water.

Same here. Wish that I had done this well before buying the Whiterun house. Pretty much cleaned up everything loose just so it wouldn't fling around the rooms and have me dodging for my life.. hehehe. Kinda barren now as the grab and place function is a nightmare. Decorating is minimal for now till the CK comes out.
At least my Riften home is all decorated out nicely since no phantom cups are slingshotting around the place :xp:

Enabling V-sync also keeps my vid card's fan from kicking in to overdrive.

Oh! and I finally got a water breathing item! Funny though since my potions are so kick arse now that I just stick to using them. At least I have closure :xp:
 Achilles
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I unofficially titled my last playthrough "ChAiNz's Revenge". 30 something hours and not a single waterbreathing artifact. :(
 ChAiNz.2da
11-29-2011, 1:27 PM
I unofficially titled my last playthrough "ChAiNz's Revenge". 30 something hours and not a single waterbreathing artifact. :(

:lol: hehehe

I laugh, but only because I feel your pain bro :D

Chicken’s Egg
Histcarp
Nordic Barnacle

I have them committed to memory now due to my past dilemma. :¬:
 Achilles
11-29-2011, 3:23 PM
Unfortunately, my Nord is all about smithing and unwise in the ways of alchemy. Trying to figure out a good "da was a Nord and ma was a Breton" back story so that I can at least touch an enchanting table (or cast a spell) in a future playthrough.
 Taak Farst
11-29-2011, 10:57 PM
May I ask why the obsession for water breathing artifacts when you're underwater for about 5 minutes in total of the game?
 Achilles
11-30-2011, 2:30 AM
Speak for yourself. We oldtimers that remember Morrowind know that all the cool stuff is hidden at the bottom of the ocean :D

Also, I think the patch might have already pushed. My game has crashed half a dozen times this evening. This is definitely new behavior.
 ChAiNz.2da
11-30-2011, 10:39 AM
May I ask why the obsession for water breathing artifacts when you're underwater for about 5 minutes in total of the game?
Huh? You should explore a bit, you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

I've already uncovered over half a dozen shipwrecks in what few waterways explored (one takes a minute dive just to get to). Several of the dungeons and caves I've explored have had hidden chests or underwater tunnels. Plus.. it's the fun of "mystery". You never know what awaits. :D

Speak for yourself. We oldtimers that remember Morrowind know that all the cool stuff is hidden at the bottom of the ocean :D
Yup! hehehe. Scored some glass gauntlets plus the misc. chest loot etc. so far. I just wish I could fight underwater too. Doesn't happen often, but there's been some times where I've been chased out of the water by slaughterfish :¬:

Also, I think the patch might have already pushed. My game has crashed half a dozen times this evening. This is definitely new behavior. Yeah, I've been reading some worrying stories. Seems there "may or may not" be a bug with magic resistance. If so, my squishy arse is boned because I invest enchantments in that moreso than specific resistances (fire, frost, shock) since MR is the cover all bases option.
 stoffe
11-30-2011, 2:39 PM
Also, I think the patch might have already pushed. My game has crashed half a dozen times this evening. This is definitely new behavior.

Indeed, I would stay away from the Skyrim 1.2 patch. Judging by reports it's totally broken. Armor and resistances no longer working, dragons flying backward (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_xCjK3BD6u4), user interface glitches, a lot more frequent crashes etc.

It believe it's safe to say this patch was rushed out without any testing at all. :¬:
 Quanon
11-30-2011, 2:46 PM
Great, I just patched the game via steam as I thought that would improve it.
As the last few days, Skyrim suddenly decided that I should only play in sessions of 20minutes and NOT more. As after 20mins I was staring back at my desktop.

Thing is I already played a few hours before that sort of thing started... Bethesda, will you ever learn. Seems these guys have real trouble delivering a functioning game...

*sigh* Guess I'll wait a few months, then get back to this game...
 mimartin
11-30-2011, 3:19 PM
*sigh* Guess I'll wait a few months, then get back to this game...

May not take that long, they got the patch out to fix the invincible enemies patch in Fallout: NV the same day. However unsure if that was Bethesda or Obsidian Entertainment doing. Still you would think that would teach Bethesda to test their patches before sending them out.
 Quanon
11-30-2011, 3:45 PM
May not take that long, they got the patch out to fix the invincible enemies patch in Fallout: NV the same day. However unsure if that was Bethesda or Obsidian Entertainment doing. Still you would think that would teach Bethesda to test their patches before sending them out.

Thing is, it was the same "tragedy" with Morrowind and Oblivion. I know it'll get fixed but it makes me wonder who or what is in lead of the playtesting.
Oh well, no point in getting fed up about it. I'll get my appetite sated eventually :lol:
 ChAiNz.2da
11-30-2011, 3:52 PM
Beth could skip all the problems if they would just release the CK already. Let the mod community do all the bugfixes.. hehehe :xp:

I already have about 7 mods I want to create and don't feel like going through TESsnip... hehe
 Achilles
11-30-2011, 4:16 PM
Indeed, I would stay away from the Skyrim 1.2 patch. Is there a way to not let Steam patch the game? Or rollback a version if it does?
 mimartin
11-30-2011, 5:24 PM
Is there a way to not let Steam patch the game? Or rollback a version if it does?

I can tell you what not to do. :(

I went home in an attempt not to download the patch. Disconnected from the internet (like the Bethesda forum said) and tried to start Steam offline. Steam would not let me. So reconnected the internet and try to tell Steam to work off line after it started. Not fast enough, 1.0% of the patch downloaded. Would not let me stop it or play Skyrim offline. Looked at setting and it was already set not to download Skyrim patches without my permission. So looks like I have the patch. Played one quest with no problem, but didn't see any dragons.
 Achilles
11-30-2011, 5:27 PM
Just read on the beth forum that the patch turns v-sync off, so those of us that resolved issues by turning it on again might have to do that once more. Will confirm when I get home tonight.
 stoffe
11-30-2011, 5:37 PM
Is there a way to not let Steam patch the game? Or rollback a version if it does?

Apparently you need to set Steam to Offline Mode to prevent it from auto-fetching game patches for some reason. It seems to cheerfully ignore the setting for each individual game not to auto-update it.

To make it start up in Offline mode it should work to add/edit the following keys in the steam.cfg file located in the same folder as the steam exe:

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
ForceOfflineMode=enable

I don't think there's a way to roll back if you've already patched, unfortunately. The wonders of modern DRM systems. :rolleyes:
 Achilles
11-30-2011, 6:44 PM
Based on this (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1270631-crashes-during-gameplay/page__view__findpost__p__19556930) I'm wondering if the random crashing is Steam and all the other stuff is the patch. :(
 stingerhs
12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
i've been playing Skyrim for 6+ hours at a time without any crashes. i've been using the 4GB Skyrim (http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013) since the first program to make Skyrim use more than 2GB of memory address space was disabled in the first patch.

this one is just an executable and a .dll file that effectively doubles the address space that Skyrim uses. unlike the previous workaround, this one launches the game through Steam which allows it to function with the DRM and, therefore, allows the game to work with the latest patches.

tried running the game without it, and it crashes after about an hour of gameplay.
 mimartin
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Still running the vanilla Skyrim, with the 1.2 patch. Everything seems to be working fine. Haven't had any dragon issues. Still only had two CTD in around 23 hours, none with the new patch in about 4 hours.

I will say the 4GB mods for Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV were life savers.
 Achilles
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Steam updated my game as soon as I switched my PC on last night. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, and for the most part, came out of 1.2 unscathed. Poison immunity is borked, but all the dragons I encountered flew forward rather than backwards and I only had one CTD (compared to 7 the evening before).

I must admit though that I'm a little disappointed by the lack of response from Bethesda. Normally, I give the devs some slack because communication either comes from or is dictated by the publisher, but in this case they are one and the same. :(
 ChAiNz.2da
12-01-2011, 3:25 PM
Relatively unscathed myself with the 1.2 patch.. but like stingerhs I use the 4GB mod (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013) along with SKSE (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1288179-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/) (which fixes the immunity / resistance bugs).

Be sure to use 4GB update 4. It auto-injects the skse helper files so you only have to launch it (4GB) after launching Steam.

Steam overlay, chat talk, screenies, etc. still remain functional.
 Achilles
12-01-2011, 3:56 PM
Lengthy update from Bethesda re: Skyrim.

Clicky (http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/)

Summary: patch for the patch coming next week, then nothing until January, then lots of stuff. Will fix code related stuff (i.e. the engine) first and then data (i.e. broken quests, etc) later. PC will get stuff before consoles because consoles require an extra step that Bethesda doesn't control.

EDIT: Oh, CK in 2012 for those of us that have been waiting.
 DarthParametric
12-01-2011, 9:32 PM
Wow, not holding back the PC patch for no reason? That must be a first.

Interesting move with the Steam mod thing. I wonder how that will pan out.
 swphreak
12-07-2011, 9:01 PM
I've been playing vanilla Skyrim for 36 hours now. I've only crashed once or twice. Other than that, I haven't really had much trouble with the game.

It's pretty addictive. I keep getting sidetracked. I've done about 3 or 4 story quests, and the rest of the time has been spent exploring and doing side quests. I'm Archmage of the College, and I just started in the Thieves Guild. I need to join up with the Stormcloaks and get that storyline started.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many perks you get? The numbers I've seen are 50 and 70. I'm only at level 29, and I'm worried I might have wasted some perks.
 Sabretooth
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm at level 10 and the game has never crashed for me, it's surprisingly stable for a Bethesda product. :p

Dragons are effing difficult, so fighting them is pretty fun. Difficult fights are on the whole, highlights of this game, which is by and large boring otherwise. Despite that it's terribly addictive though, Elder Scrolls-style. It's a bit too much like Fallout 3 than I'd expected, though.
Page: 3 of 5