Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Page: 2 of 5
 mimartin
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Technically, the "soft" level cap that the game is designed around is 50, but the hard level cap, which would be reached by maxing out all of your skills is approximately 81.

Like I wrote, I was at level 4 at the time, so I was only going by what I read. According to that the cap at release is 50 and the final cap would be around 75.

What I can't get over is
A level 5 PC could kill a dragon so easily. With only a simple shock spell and a steal sword. Didn't even have a bow because I sold it for gold to purchase one handed training. Didn't expect to see dragons so soon.
 Darth Payne
11-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Like I wrote, I was at level 4 at the time, so I was only going by what I read. According to that the cap at release is 50 and the final cap would be around 75.

What I can't get over is
A level 5 PC could kill a dragon so easily. With only a simple shock spell and a steal sword. Didn't even have a bow because I sold it for gold to purchase one handed training. Didn't expect to see dragons so soon.

Yeah well, how soon dragons appear in the game depends on what quests you do.

On another playthrough i didn't face dragons until i was at level 25.
 DarthParametric
11-17-2011, 1:18 AM
Also, the joy of level scaling means what level you are at the time is largely irrelevant.
 Achilles
11-17-2011, 6:21 AM
Btw, does anyone know what the item that Achilles mentions is?It's a dragon priest mask (or are they helmets?). I can't remember what that particular one was called.

FWIW, my level 5 Nord found a necklace of waterbreathing in Riverwood for 938 gold :)
 Darth Payne
11-17-2011, 6:29 AM
I've only found one of those and it has something to do with Lockpicking and Alchemy as far as i remember.

I can't at the moment remember which house i left the thing in...
 DarthParametric
11-17-2011, 6:45 AM
I've found a couple of waterbreathing items as loot, but as an Argonian I laugh at the need for puny trinkets for such things.
 ChAiNz.2da
11-17-2011, 9:59 AM
FWIW, my level 5 Nord found a necklace of waterbreathing in Riverwood for 938 gold :)

I've found a couple of waterbreathing items as loot, but as an Argonian I laugh at the need for puny trinkets for such things.
OK now you two are just rubbing it in :xp:
STILL haven't found one.. hehehe :fist:
 DarthParametric
11-17-2011, 12:06 PM
There are always potions of waterbreathing (Chicken Egg/Histcarp/Nordic Barnacle) or the spell. Do you need to do that much swimming? I found it less useful that I had hoped, as most situations where you might think it would be useful for stealth the water is too shallow and you can still be spotted by archers/guards.
 Red Hessian
11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
There's one place where a waterbreathing potion or spell is useful:

Northwest of Winterhold there's ship graveyard at the bottom of the sea which requires a fair bit of diving to get to. It's listed on the map as Pilgrim's Trench.

Btw, has anyone found a spell to fortify carry weight? Like the feather spells from Oblivion? I'm tired of running to town to sell gear after only exploring one or two dungeons...
 ChAiNz.2da
11-17-2011, 1:01 PM
There are always potions of waterbreathing (Chicken Egg/Histcarp/Nordic Barnacle) or the spell. Do you need to do that much swimming? I found it less useful that I had hoped, as most situations where you might think it would be useful for stealth the water is too shallow and you can still be spotted by archers/guards.
Not so much as "need".. it's now just more of an obsession.. :lol:
My homebrew potions currently have a 60sec time limit each.. so I'm good as far as exploration. ;)

I just want one now because the game seems to taunt me with the fact it isn't going to let me get it.. hehe :fist:
 Achilles
11-17-2011, 2:09 PM
Btw, has anyone found a spell to fortify carry weight? Like the feather spells from Oblivion? I'm tired of running to town to sell gear after only exploring one or two dungeons... No spells, but I've found a few items (iron boots, leather boots, and the mask/helmet mentioned above).
 mimartin
11-17-2011, 8:27 PM
Why is every cave and fort I go into filled with vampire? Is this a vampire game or have I just been very unlucky? Getting very annoyed.
 Darth Payne
11-17-2011, 9:48 PM
Just now, when i fast travelled, i saw a 3D model of a 'statue' with about eight Dragon Priest masks.

Are we supposed to collect the masks and return them to this statue?

Edit: btw, anyone know of any confirmed locations to find/buy ebony ingots/ore? I need a total of 13 ebony ingots just to make the deadra armor pieces(which looks really familiar for some reason), and another 4 to upgrade the armor. Another ingredient i need for those armor pieces are Deadra hearts, where do i find those?
 Taak Farst
11-18-2011, 3:03 AM
Why is every cave and fort I go into filled with vampire? Is this a vampire game or have I just been very unlucky? Getting very annoyed.

You're unlucky...I haven't encountered any vamps yet and I've completed both the Thieves Guild and the Main Storyline
 DarthParametric
11-18-2011, 4:23 AM
I've found a few Deadra hearts around some of the witch dungeons, plus I ran into my first actual Deadra last night at Mahrunes Dagon's shrine, which gave me a few extra to harvest.

Speaking of witches, I find the soft moaning of one of the zombified witches to be strangely erotic.
 Darth Payne
11-18-2011, 4:27 AM
Mahrunes Shrine?

I haven't found that one yet...

I did find a couple in a couple of the achemy shops though.
 Red Hessian
11-18-2011, 4:56 AM
btw, anyone know of any confirmed locations to find/buy ebony ingots/ore? I need a total of 13 ebony ingots just to make the deadra armor pieces(which looks really familiar for some reason), and another 4 to upgrade the armor. Another ingredient i need for those armor pieces are Deadra hearts, where do i find those?

Tons of ebony ore can be found at Gloombound Mine which is a part of Narzulbur, an Orc stronghold southeast of Windhelm, although you'll need to complete a quest for the Orcs to get in.

As for Deadra hearts, most alchemy shops sell them at random when you reach a high enough level. The shaman at the Orc settlement mentioned above sells a few, but that too seems to be random.

You can steal one from Kodlak Whitemane's quarters in Jorrvaskr in Whiterun.
You can also steal one from the Hall of the Vigilant south of Dawnstar.
You can find two in the alchemy lab of Nightcaller Temple during the Waking Nightmare quest in Dawnstar.
 DarthParametric
11-18-2011, 5:03 AM
I'm not one for screenshotting as a general rule, but I just remembered that I took this one last night. It was while I was on a stakeout, waiting to assassinate some hapless fool. The sky particularly caught my eye. I hadn't seen the aurora that colourful previously - it had always been a bit more of a uniform greenish colour. I'm not sure if it was the overcast conditions or some other factor, or just how it was meant to be. At first I thought it might have been a sunset/sunrise related thing, but I checked the in-game time and it was about 11.30pm. Anyway, enjoy:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_Skyrim_Aurora.jpg) (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/Skyrim_Aurora.jpg)
 Taak Farst
11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
...What is the 'best' heavy armor set?
 DarthParametric
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
For non-unique, non-enchanted, non-improved armour, the progressions are as follows:

Light Armour
Shrouded -> Fur -> Hide -> Leather -> Elven -> Scale -> Glass -> Dragonscale

Heavy Armour
Iron -> Steel -> Dwemer/Dwarf -> Steel Plate -> Orcish -> Ebony -> Dragonplate -> Daedric
 swphreak
11-18-2011, 2:50 PM
Are any of you using mods in addition to the game? I saw a few mods mentioned that make NPCs, Trees, over all graphics, and etc look better.
 ChAiNz.2da
11-18-2011, 3:50 PM
Are any of you using mods in addition to the game? I saw a few mods mentioned that make NPCs, Trees, over all graphics, and etc look better.

I always play at least one game mod-free.. then it's a free-for-all. ;)

Haven't tried any yet.. waiting on Beth's tools so custom ID FORMS are more reliable. I don't trust just using TESsnip on it's own ... hehe

From the comments on Nexus though.. the few mods that are out seem to work just fine. Most of them are just text .bat files launched from the console anyways (barring the graphic over-haul mods).
 Achilles
11-18-2011, 5:14 PM
Are any of you using mods in addition to the game? I saw a few mods mentioned that make NPCs, Trees, over all graphics, and etc look better.I have a few tweaks in mind that I will end up making once the toolset comes out if someone doesn't beat me to it, but I'm not seeing a whole lot that needs to be outright modded.
 DarthParametric
11-18-2011, 7:49 PM
The only actual mod I'm using atm is the better night sky one, not that I've seen much of it yet with all the clouds around. I also used the Large Address Aware EXE patch, so it can address more RAM. Haven't noticed any framerate improvements, but I haven't had any crashes since, which seems to be the common experience. I still need to implement the better shadows INI tweak, as the default ones are terrible.

Mahrunes Shrine?

I haven't found that one yet...East of Morthal, up the top of the mountain. Just look for the giant smarmy looking bloke. You'll find it as part of a quest chain, and can't get inside the actual shrine unless on that quest. I don't think any Daedra spawn outside it randomly.

EDIT: Had to add this. Awesome trick shot:

xE4uzGaQDQg
 Darth Payne
11-19-2011, 8:34 AM
Just had a moment of great relief.

I went out to eat, only i'd forgotten to save my game first.

When i got home, i was a bit nervous, only to find that i was very close to leveling up to level 41. :)

DarthParametric? Thanks, i'll go take a look now. :)
 DarthParametric
11-19-2011, 9:08 AM
When i got home, i was a bit nervous, only to find that i was very close to leveling up to level 41. :)Lol, left your guy there getting shot full of arrows all day? Presumably you should have a few hundred in your inventory now that you can sell off for some gold to boot.
 Darth Payne
11-19-2011, 9:19 AM
Just checked, i now have 253 iron arrows in my inventory.

Aren't those the ones that ain't worth anything when you try to sell them?
 DarthParametric
11-19-2011, 9:57 AM
Beats me, I always just dump them on the ground.
 Darth Payne
11-19-2011, 8:09 PM
Just found the Dragon Priest mask that has the following bonuses.

'Prices are 20% better, carry 20 points more, and can breathe underwater.'

The mask is called Volsung, it can be found in Volskygge.

Volskygge(for those that don't know), can be found near Deepwood Redoubt, Pinefrost Tower, Northwatch Keep(Northwatch Keep can be found along the Solitude coastline).
 Darth Payne
11-19-2011, 10:54 PM
East of Morthal, up the top of the mountain. Just look for the giant smarmy looking bloke. You'll find it as part of a quest chain, and can't get inside the actual shrine unless on that quest. I don't think any Daedra spawn outside it randomly.

Found the shrine, and you where right. There ain't any Daedra here at the moment.

This quest chain? Where and when do i get it?
 DarthParametric
11-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Play long enough and some courier should hand you a flyer advertising a museum in Dawnstar eventually, which starts the quest (Pieces of the Past). Apparently you have to collect a Daedric artefact (i.e. a Daedric weapon quest reward) and be level 20+ for the courier to be triggered. In theory though just going straight to the museum should trigger the quest. Only one way to find out.
 Darth Payne
11-20-2011, 2:26 AM
Thanks, i'll go do that as soon as i've gotten out of this tomb (Yngol Barrow).
 Achilles
11-20-2011, 6:47 PM
Hmmm...apparently dragons will attack you inside towns. Riverwood is now minus one citizen and a few Whiterun guards.

Also, rumor is that there may be a patch after Thanksgiving.
 Darth Payne
11-20-2011, 7:51 PM
I must've fought 4-5 dragons in Riverwood by now...
 DarthParametric
11-20-2011, 8:04 PM
Yeah they can spawn anywhere. I fought two at once right in the middle of Dawnstar last time I played. They perched on top of houses and such.
 Darth Payne
11-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Just found a Steel Plate Helmet Of Waterbreathing inside Mehrunes Shrine (i *finally* got around to it:) ), is that there every time?

Or is it random?
 stoffe
11-21-2011, 2:00 AM
Just now, when i fast travelled, i saw a 3D model of a 'statue' with about eight Dragon Priest masks.

Are we supposed to collect the masks and return them to this statue?

The altar with the 8 masks from the load screen can be found outdoors in the ruin called Labyrinthian under a dome-shaped structure. There's also a wooden mask on the ground right next to it. I haven't gotten all the Dragon Priest masks yet so I don't know what happens if you bring them all there yet.

Stumbled upon it while on a quest for the Mage College. :)

Hmmm...apparently dragons will attack you inside towns. Riverwood is now minus one citizen and a few Whiterun guards.

Seems to happen at all the towns and cities that aren't in a separate worldspace. And unfortunately those random dragon attacks aren't deactivated during major quests in those areas. A poorly timed dragon attack at the Mage College made the final quest in their plot arc very hard. :wonder:
 Darth Payne
11-21-2011, 2:55 AM
Btw, i now have just over 73.000 septims in my ingame money pouch...

That is *after* getting both houses (Whiterun/Riften) fully decorated.

I'm hoping i can buy houses in some of the other cities as well, and that their *really* expensive.

Oh btw, this doesn't count the dozens of gemstones and jewelry i've got stashed in my riften house. :)

Edit: Hey, stoffe? Just went to Labyrinthian myself. Have you tried putting on the wooden mask yet? It seems to take you to Labyrintian before the place fell apart.

And, the statue has eight empty lots where the masks are supposed to go.

It seems we *are* infact supposed to collect the masks and bring them back there. :)
 DarthParametric
11-21-2011, 5:38 AM
Or is it random?Random.

I'm hoping i can buy houses in some of the other cities as well, and that their *really* expensive.There are 5 houses for purchase in the base game as I understand. The most expensive is the one in Solitude at 25K.
 Darth Payne
11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Ok. :)

Well, i've got another problem.

I'm doing the Darkbrotherhood questline, and just had the coffin incident with the nightmother, i am now supposed to get a new mission from Nazir...

My problem is, when ever i try talking with him, there is no line for me to choose said quest from.

I've tried leaving the sanctuary, i've tried sleeping, i've tried waiting...

Edit: After a bit of searching i found this:
Warning there is a glitch that can happen after the coffin scene where you are told to speak to Nazir to find more contacts and there will be no option. Preventing you to continue the Dark Brotherhood quest line.*'
-- How to fix it: Enter the Night Mothers Coffin, then press "Wait" and do so for an hour or two.
^ Waiting does not always work.
Edit2: Well the waiting trick doesn't work as i get kicked out of said coffin every time i try.
I also tried loading an auto save from before getting the quest of spying on Cicero. The glich still happened. :(:(

I guess i've lost that character. :(:(:( 106 hrs of work lost...
 ChAiNz.2da
11-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Just found a Steel Plate Helmet Of Waterbreathing inside Mehrunes Shrine

:¬:

:xp:
 DarthParametric
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
You might want to spoiler that lot Payne....
 Darth Payne
11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry, was a bit stressed when i wrote it...

Ah, who am i kidding, i'm sill stressed...

Over 100 hours of game time, lost...

Edit: Better?
 Achilles
11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
After a couple of false starts, I finally finished the main quest this weekend.

A couple of spoiler-free thoughts:

1) I have to give Bethesda kudos for figuring out a way to keep the game going, even when you've "finished". Morrowind just kinda set you loose, with a "You rock. Go forth and be awesome". Oblivion didn't even go that far. There is still much to do in Skyrim (not just dungeon clearing) once the dragon issue is resolved.

2) Same thing goes for leveling. Once my character reaches "badass" status, I tend to lose interest (one-hit killing things is only fun for so long). However, in Skyrim, even if you max out your skills or hit the level cap, there are still Shouts to find/upgrade.

3) Perhaps this is a function of my impatient desire to wrap up the main quest, but much of the 2nd and 3rd act felt...less coherent than the beginning. One particularly important cutscene felt comic. The last hour or so had that whirlwind feel where you start to wonder if they're throwing a whole lot of stuff at you in an effort to distract you from plot holes or shoddy writing. It could be that there's a whole lot of context that I missed my first time through, but I kept thinking that in the end, Skyrim was turning into Oblivion, when it so wanted to be Morrowind.

Fun game though. I think I have at least a couple more playthroughs on the horizon.
 DarthParametric
11-21-2011, 9:11 PM
Over 100 hours of game time, lost.That's a tad melodramatic. There's a patch coming after this weekend. If that's a known bug then it's likely to be fixed (especially given the popularity of the DB).
 Darth Payne
11-21-2011, 9:21 PM
yeah, i know. I was a bit upset at the time i wrote it...

There's a patch?

I didn't know that.

I guess i'll have to try playing AC: Revelations untill then...
 DarthParametric
11-21-2011, 10:08 PM
 Taak Farst
11-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Been playing Oblivion again as well as this. I want DLC, i know it's early. But I want it. :L
 DarthParametric
11-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Sounds like it might be a while, certainly for PC at least. I'd be thinking maybe Feb/Mar next year.

EDIT: Something to look forward to, either for future DLC or mods - http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim)
 Darth Payne
11-23-2011, 6:09 AM
Hey, does anyone know when i can get through the gate in High Hrothgars courtyard that is blocked in snowy wind?

I've just returned the horn of Jurgen Windcaller...

Btw, is it true that you can continue playing the game after completing the main questline?
Page: 2 of 5