Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hunters W.I.P.

Page: 2 of 4
 Phildevil
03-23-2011, 8:38 PM
Neat stuff! Does the stance flows well with the animations?
 Hunters Run
03-23-2011, 8:46 PM
I tweaked some of the attacks so that they flowed better but most did well enough on their own. Ironically, the coolest attack is one I did not animate.
 Viado Onasi
03-23-2011, 8:49 PM
Are these animations going to be for TSL too? I noticed the screenshot was in KotOR. These are really awesome animations, btw, again.
 Hunters Run
03-23-2011, 8:57 PM
Yep, I am going to do a TSL version also.
 Slstoev
03-23-2011, 9:52 PM
Yay!
 Sith Holocron
03-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Hunters Run, I suggest making a video of your new animations. Showing the new animations compared with the originals might be a good way to go . . .
 Hunters Run
03-27-2011, 3:30 PM
That's not a bad idea. However, I know nothing about making videos and have another project that I am focusing on right now (the animations are done, I am currently waiting for some input to put the finishing touches on the mod). However, if somebody has free time on their hands and wants to make a video, I'll be more than happy to send them the model.
 logan23
03-27-2011, 4:37 PM
How does combat work with this?
 Rinku
03-27-2011, 5:06 PM
HR that looks amazing. Did you change the running and walking animations to match, or are they still the same? Regardless it looks really nice ;)

Will it work with SS's Revan's animated robes mod? I'm asking because in the pictures it looks like you are not using the mod.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
03-27-2011, 5:12 PM
How does combat work with this?The same question I am curious about... how I missed this lately is beyond me, but wow that looks pretty cool! Take DI's Starkiller-inspired sleeveless robe and add those saber animations, and you have a pretty awesome cross-over mod!

Really neat, Hunter's Run! Glad to see that your work continues, even if it is behind the scenes :)
 Darth InSidious
03-27-2011, 5:58 PM
Oh, wow. This is... just amazing. Fantastic work, HR!
 Sithspecter
03-27-2011, 6:36 PM
I have given Hunter permission to use my mod with this, and it will be fully compatible with my original robes. I've gotten a chance to test it, and I think that with some refinement, this is going to be a really cool mod that will draw people back to KotOR.
 VarsityPuppet
03-27-2011, 6:48 PM
Do you think you could fix some of the animation stances for the female Exile characters? They have this issue where their lips get messed up when going into a combat stance.
 Darth InSidious
03-27-2011, 7:36 PM
I'm raising this more as a discussion-point than anything, but... in KotOR II's animations.2da, there are rows set aside for 'ready' stances for the Makashi, Soresu, Ataru, Shien, Niman and Juyo forms. There are three rows each; one for single, double, and dual-wielding lightsabers. Now, I don't know if this is possible and people far better-informed than me can probably say, but... is there any way to create animations to match these? Would it be possible to set up separate combat animation sets for each form? They wouldn't need to be all-new, (in this hypothetical magic world where creating new animations isn't a pain in the rear end :p ) as mixing some of the currently existing animation sets in could give each form a more distinctive look.

Like I said, I've no idea about the (im)practicalities of this - just raising it out of interest. :)
 Hunters Run
03-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I once considered doing that when I heard about it. I even was going to create individual stances for each one. However I soon discovered that it was for some reason hardcoded into the game. At least that's what I read.

The version Sithspecter has is an old one. I adjusted the attacks so they flow better. Some attacks are modified a little and some a lot. There was an issue where the twin sabers clipped through the body that has been eliminated and thanks to Sithspecter the robe flows. Also the running and walking animations are the default ones.

@VP- Can you take a screen shot of this issue and send it to me? I'll then compare it to the full body model and see what I can do.

About the TSL version. To avoid porting issues I will probably be animating them all over again so it may take a while. Unless there is unanimous agreement that it is not porting I can't really do anything about it.

About using this with other mods. It is okay with me, However you'll also have to ask Sithspecter as his flowing robe is included. I created the flowing robe for TSL so have a ball when it is done.

Sithspecter asked that I add a new line in the 2da so that you can use his mod and mine in conjunction, however I have no idea how to do that. This is one of the last things that needs to be done before the mod is released, so If you do know how to do it, drop me a line.

As I was writing the wall o' text I had the thought that I should really get the mod beta tested before I shove it out the door.

Requirements for beta testing:

1. You must have kotor installed. I don't know why you'll ask if you don't as this mod is only for kotor, but still....
2. I'll try to put this as nicely as possible. If you sign up just to get the mod early don't bother. If 4 out of 5 testers point out glaring issues or constructive criticism, but the the 5'th one comes back with "TEH BEST MODZ EVAH" than rest assured they will never beta test for me again.
3.Have Fun
 VarsityPuppet
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
@VP- Can you take a screen shot of this issue and send it to me? I'll then compare it to the full body model and see what I can do.

These pictures demonstrate the issue with the lips

http://i.min.us/imoX4c.JPG)
http://i.min.us/impiiG.JPG)

... and this is what the lips should look like.
http://i.min.us/imtUwC.JPG)
 Hunters Run
03-29-2011, 1:57 PM
Is it only a specific head or each individual head that is messed up? If it is a specific head which one?
 LDR
03-29-2011, 8:44 PM
Well... if it was a specific head, then it would obviously be that one. :xp:
 Hunters Run
03-29-2011, 9:30 PM
I can't believe I didn't catch that :p. It just occurred to me that if I fix the full body model than it will eliminate the problems for all the models. However, if there is no problem with the full body model than it would help if I got the name of the specific head model. That way I don't have to filter through all the heads to find the one that is messed up and I can get straight to work.
 VarsityPuppet
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
I can't believe I didn't catch that :p. It just occurred to me that if I fix the full body model than it will eliminate the problems for all the models. However, if there is no problem with the full body model than it would help if I got the name of the specific head model. That way I don't have to filter through all the heads to find the one that is messed up and I can get straight to work.

As far as I know, all of the female heads are like that, which leads me to believe that it indeed the body model animations (the super models).
 Dark_Ansem
05-24-2011, 2:49 AM
amazing work!
 Hunters Run
05-24-2011, 2:38 PM
I come back with a request and a question. I have finished another animation/stance mod and I think it would be good if a video was taken of it. The catch is that I recently discovered I am no good at taking videos. As such if anyone has the time on their hands or the inclination to make a video please p.m. me.

When I made the stance mod I tweaked the animations to flow better. However they are not new attacks. The problem with new attacks is that they will be out of sync with what the opponent does. My question is that how many of you want new attacks and how many want the attacks to be in sync.
 Fallen Guardian
05-24-2011, 6:43 PM
Definitely would rather have them be in sync. But couldn't you also make new defences to match the attacks?
 Sithspecter
05-24-2011, 7:06 PM
I think that the coolness of new attacks would be absolutely ruined if they weren't synchronized. I've had a few cutscenes in the game run where the attacks were not coordinated. It looked completely ridiculous. Like, a character would "get hit" by the opponent's weapon before they even swung, and other such nonsense. But, if you could figure out the frame that the hits and parries occur on, and time yours so that they match, it could be sweet.
 Sith Holocron
05-25-2011, 1:51 AM
I agree with Sithspecter's assessment.

New question: Are these new attacks going to be connected with the fighting styles that are taught to you by the Jedi Masters: like Ataru, Shien, and the like?
 Hunters Run
05-25-2011, 4:28 PM
Hmmm....The attacks are all set lengths. If I play a game of match them up I should have the attacks and defenses matched up. From there it will just be a matter of matching keyframes.

To answer the second question, there is the back hand style which I believe is a varient of juyo. Also revans stance is juyo I believe. Besides juyo what styles do you think revan knew? I ask because I've decided to put the backhand style in a different model and if Sithspecter is okay with it, use his flowing robe model again to animate stances and attacks. Revans new flourish and stance will be the one you saw in his cutscene. It won't be a 1:1 copy but it will be as good as I can make it.

As a last note which model do you think best fits the backhand style? Also which project should I work on first- the back hand style or revans style?
 Slstoev
05-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Both are tempting. You could go with the easier and then the harder or vice versa.
 harark1
05-26-2011, 5:59 PM
Flip a coin. But if you want our opinion I say backhand.
 Hunters Run
12-12-2011, 4:00 PM
update- Last time I was doing a backhand style. That has given way to my current project- getting animations into the game without replacing them. I have been successful. By injecting lines into animation.2da and dialoganimations.2da I have managed to create new animations without replacing old ones. This of course is in ether late alpha or early beta stage. Unfortunately the ends of my finales are coming soon and that means I'll be playing skyrim and will have no time to dedicate to this project. Still I believe I have 98% of the steps down right. for the last few steps I'll need some scripting help. Right now I can inject new animations to any party member and maybe to the pc. I haven't tried with the pc yet as I am experiencing some problems with that. However that does not mean it can't be done. I have changed my pc's appearance to darth revan and the animations won't hold. It just occurred to me that if I add new animations to the main supermodel it should show on the pc regardless of outfit. Soooo.....I am going now to check that out.
 Fallen Guardian
12-12-2011, 5:27 PM
Sounds interesting, I hope you can get it to work...New animations would certainly benefit KotOR.
 Warrior Master
12-31-2011, 5:52 PM
So, it would be something like The Force Unleashed 2 fighting style? Not just to fight with a back-hand light saber, but also making a mix of the animations / movements of TFU 2 and the animations that already are in both KotOR, right? Making the fights much more impressive ... What a titanic work, man! I hope that you are successful Hunters Run, as Fallen Guardian says that would be really great for both KotOR, making them even more interesting of what they already are. Good luck! :thmbup1:
 Hunters Run
12-31-2011, 7:36 PM
Update- I have come to ask for help. I have managed to inject a line into the animations.2da and dialogueanimations.2da and managed to play a new animation without replacing an old one. However, I have only managed to get the animation to play thru a characters events and not their dialog. As such I believe that it is now a matter of finding the right script to make the animation play. The script I need is a script that makes kreia play an animation.

About my saber stance/combat mod- once I get the last of the kinks sorted out of what I am currently working on I will release a tutorial on how to do this, then I have several ideas but lets get this done first shall we?
 Fallen Guardian
12-31-2011, 7:54 PM
Congratulations on making new animations!

Here's the script:

void main()
{

object oNPC = GetObjectByTag("Kreia");

AssignCommand(oNPC, ActionPlayAnimation(18, 1.0, (-1.0)));

}

You can take 18 and change it to whatever the animation number is.
 Hunters Run
01-01-2012, 12:02 PM
That did it. One more test then I'll release a tutorial.
 Hunters Run
01-12-2012, 8:57 PM
How to get new animations into the game without replacing old animations.

Things you'll need:

Kotor tool

mdlops v.6 alpha 1

a text editor

3ds max/ gmax with nwmax

1. First extract your desired model .mdl and .mdx to a folder.
2. Next use modlops to make an ascii
3. import into your animating program.
4. create your animations. To do so click on the green square. On your right you should notice a box where the animations would be listed. Click on the little downward arrow next to the white bar. A list of names should appear. Choose default.If there are no animations on the model click add. If there are look below the white bar. There are two rows of numbers. If there are already animations look at the end number of the last animation. then in the top row add a number that is higher than the number of the last animation. in the bottom row calculate how much frames you need then add in the number. For example if you want 50 frames and you start at 100 enter 150 on the bottom row.
5. export your model with animations to a new folder.
6. open animations.2da and scroll to the bottom. Add a new line. For example the last line is 393 so create a line 394. name it something short, like "test".
find an animation similar to your custom animation and copy the rest of the line. If you look you'll see 1 and 0. I would assume that 1 means on and 0 means off. change as desired.
7. open the folder with your exported model. Open the model with notepad or something similar. Search for default. rename your animation from default to whatever you named your animation.
8. add another letter to your exported model (n_darthrevan to n_darthrevana)
9. put your exported model in the same folder as your original .mdl .mdx
10. using mdlops find your exported model and and click read and write.You should end up with a k1/k2-r-bin.mdl.mdx. put them in your override folder. rename it so that the k1/k2-k-r-bin is deleted.
12. using a script get your animation working in game. Sorry but that's not really my forte. The best advice I can give you is ask around.

That's it. Using this method I got a simple wave animation in game without replacing any animations. Good luck.
 Fallen Guardian
01-12-2012, 9:23 PM
Sounds like a cool breakthrough! Too bad I can't animate or model..... :(
 newbiemodder
01-13-2012, 9:16 AM
Nice work Hunter
 Hunters Run
05-13-2012, 11:09 AM
*Thy old blowing of the dust* Seeing all those projects going around has made me want to mod again. However before I start I have a question. Is this possible: when you enter combat inject a script that states if animation a plays then animation b plays (damage does not change only the animation, also there is another step but it will only work if this step works). K1 and K2.
 TimBob12
05-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't have the answer to your question but major congrats on getting custom animations working. Too bad my copies of Kotor 1 and 2 seem to have dissapeared. :(
 Hunters Run
06-03-2012, 9:06 PM
for some reason I keep getting a syntax error with this script.
void main()
{

object oPC = GetFirstPC();

GetHasSpellEffect(FORM_SABER_II_MAKASHI, OBJECT_SELF));
DelayCommand(1.0, SetLightsaberPowered(oPC, 1, 0, 1));
AssignCommand(OBJECT_SELF, ActionPlayAnimation(10532, 1.0, 0.0));
DelayCommand(1.5, OBJECT_SELF, ActionPlayAnimation(10580, 1.0, 0.0));
}

points if you guess what I am working on.
 Darth InSidious
06-03-2012, 9:12 PM
Well, the first thing I spotted is that there's at the end of the GetHasSpellEffect line, you've got )); where you want ); .

And it looks like you're working on custom flourish animations. :D
 Hunters Run
06-03-2012, 9:53 PM
Right you are. If all works out each form will have it's unique flourish. The hardest part will be getting the script right and attaching it to each form.

I got the script to work. Now I just need to figure out where to put it. Any help would be appreciated.
 Darth InSidious
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
With the right checks (probably best to use GetIsInCombat(oCreature); , though as always, its best to experiment and see), you could attach it to the OnHeartbeat script. This would make it fire once every six seconds, which I believe is the length of a combat round, but I could be wrong on that. This would get the job done in the most basic way, though you might want to add more checks and if clauses to it to make it work with a little more finesse. Other people might have better ideas on how to do this, though.
 Hunters Run
06-07-2012, 4:54 PM
Unfortunately the saber forms are hard-coded. So I attached the animation to an armband that only plays the animation when the saber form is selected. Still I am not sure who would use this as it takes up an armband slot. I have several Ideas to make it more palatable but I first need to decode the combatanimations.2a. If anybody knows what each number corresponds to please reply.
 Fallen Guardian
06-07-2012, 6:13 PM
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but this deals with combat animations: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=208456&page=2/post#65)
 Darth InSidious
06-07-2012, 7:06 PM
No idea, sorry. This might be an area where it's necessary to do some experimenting.
 Hunters Run
06-13-2012, 7:58 PM
update- Due to the fact that the forms are hard coded I am forced to drop this project. Still, I have other projects. Check out my gallery on deadly stream to see what I am working on. So, what is next? Well there is my yoda style mod. Still I am debating whether to release it or not, as the attacks don't match up. If enough people want it I will release it. Imo even though the attacks don't match up, it's fine.

Another project I am working on is a revised version of revans flowing robe for tsl. The old one was missing a camera hook and I am also fine tuning the belt animations.

Last thing, I would like to create a compilation of animations. So far I have a give item to another person, a look at item, and some animations that should make VarsityPuppet happy. My question to the rest of you is, are there any animations you want?
 Sith Holocron
06-13-2012, 8:05 PM
1) A facepalm?
2) How about an animation that has a charactet turning around without looking he/she/it is standing on a slow moving record turntable?
 Zhaboka
06-13-2012, 8:08 PM
Yeah, I think the Yoda animations mod would be fine to release regardless of polish. It's just too cool not to.
 Canderis
06-13-2012, 9:05 PM
A sitting animation for kotor 1.
Page: 2 of 4