Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

December '08: The Secrets of the Holidays

Page: 1 of 1
 CommanderQ
12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Hello Everyone and here is the December Topic!

The Topic is....

Secrets of the Holiday

Any type of secret can be written about in this competition. Anything ranging from Darth Vader's secret love of turkey to the hidden sectors of space! So, decide the secret of your story, and get writing!

From,
Sir CommanderQ

On a note this is specific for the holidays. You can pick any holiday in our regular calendar or even make it up. The change is due to the fact that the topic secrets was used before. So have fun--JM12
 JediMaster12
12-01-2008, 1:15 PM
Secrets it is. The deadline for this month's entries is December 15 so think of the greatest secret that has yet to be told and have a Happy Holidays.

As a special added bonus, I am adding an art category to this month's competition. It is simple, artists can create a drawing that reflects the topic. They will post a thread like the fanfic ones and people can vote on who they like they best. There will be a section in Javyar's Hall of Fame for the artist's who win. I will put an announcement in the art subforum so frequent artist's can try their hand--JM12
 LordOfTheFish
12-01-2008, 4:47 PM
Secrets eh? Well, I kinda already had my story planned out but I can make a few adjustments.
 Litofsky
12-01-2008, 6:42 PM
An interesting topic, Commander. I shall begin to plan my story posthaste! (assuming that I don't let myself get off track, yet again...) :p
 The Doctor
12-01-2008, 6:52 PM
I will most likely be joining in on this one, m'self, as well. I'm looking forward to it.
 Endorenna
12-01-2008, 8:20 PM
Ah, what to do for it, what to do for it...I certainly intend to join this one, but don't hold me to that. ;)
 Chevron 7 locke
12-01-2008, 8:22 PM
I'm Against The Doctor and Endo?! I have no chance...

Just out of curiosity...will the stories that we submited to the contest be reviewed in the entertainment center?
 Rev7
12-01-2008, 8:50 PM
I might take a try at this, since there was a secret topic a few months back....:D
 The_Catto
12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
^^ Yeah, my last entry to the Secret topic was rather .... well .. it was crap, lol. So I will join in and try to make up for that dismal effort! :lol:

Same with Endo, don't hold me to that, haha.
 CommanderQ
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, there was another secret topic, oy, I probably should've taken a look awhile back as to preserve variety. Aw well:D it is good that we will have many contestants! I can't wait to see the entries!! :D
 Endorenna
12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey, don't feel bad! I missed the last one! :xp:
 Sabretooth
12-01-2008, 10:42 PM
This has been done before, yes, but iirc, I didn't take part in it. Perhaps this time I shall use my secret weapon.
 JediMaster12
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Perhaps we can make it a more specific kind of secret so it is not exactly the same.

How about, since we are rolling around the holiday season, we make this a competition about holiday secrets? If there is a specific gift that Han tries to keep from Leia, etc, write or draw about it.

It can be any holiday you wish, just have fun with it.

CommanderQ if that is alright we can change it to Holiday Secrets. Let me know.
 The Doctor
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
If it's going to be changed to a specific type of secret - particularly one so detrimental to a serious-tones story - then I'll most likely be withdrawing...
 Endorenna
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
What's wrong with a free-er batch of secrets? The only holidays in Star Wars are birthdays and Empire Day. :/
 JediMaster12
12-02-2008, 3:07 PM
Well you can make up your own holiday but it is up to CommanderQ if he wants to do that. I was offering a suggestion.
 CommanderQ
12-02-2008, 3:47 PM
Yeah, I'm for the idea of being more specific and making that specification "Secrets of the Holidays," as interesting as it may sound. I think that may be the best decision right now, both due to the month we're in and to preserve variety.
 mshcherbatskaya
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Ah, that's too bad - I had something about 2/3 done, but with the change it topic, I'll just have to trot it over to KFM instead.
 Bee Hoon
12-04-2008, 9:22 AM
mshcherbatskaya, you can just post it as a non-contest fic :) Or just post in TJC anyway, I always like an original spin on things!

CommanderQ, it's generally a good idea to give a topic and leave it open to interpretation with as little restrictions as possible so that we can have entries done in different styles.
 CommanderQ
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
True, this topic is slightly restricting now that I think about again. But I made the choice mostly because of the fact that earlier there was another topic of the same thing. Variety sounded like a good idea.
 machievelli
12-04-2008, 2:47 PM
I'm Against The Doctor and Endo?! I have no chance...

Just out of curiosity...will the stories that we submited to the contest be reviewed in the entertainment center?
Yes, eventually. Part of my backlog of unreviewed stories for or more pages back is because I don't always get a chance to read every story in Jayvar's Cantina. I will get to it eventually. If you want it sooner, as I have said several times, is to send me a pm.
 Rachel_Ewok
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
So let me get this straight the topic is a secret with a holiday- can be made up- theme. (I want to make sure I'm on topic... I want to enter this for the first time. ^^)
 CommanderQ
12-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Yep, you got it! That's the topic.
 Sabretooth
12-06-2008, 1:42 AM
I dunno, holiday secrets sounds like a pretty boring story topic to me, and I've never heard of or liked the idea of holidays in Star Wars very much...

*represses memories of Star Wars Holiday Special*

*cries*
 CommanderQ
12-06-2008, 1:50 AM
Well, wouldn't that create oppurtunities, though? You know, build up the Star Wars universe in a new way? Well, hopefully not like the Holiday Special, that was horrible...
 LordOfTheFish
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I for one am finding it rather hard to incorporate this months topic into my story, but at least it a challenge. :emodanc:
 Litofsky
12-10-2008, 8:42 PM
If any are taking the Cantina's most recent topic seriously, I'd suggest looking at this (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Holiday) Wookieepedia page. It's on the holidays of the Star Wars Galaxy, and might be useful for those of you that couldn't find anything. ;)
 Bee Hoon
12-15-2008, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the link, Litofsky:) It's already the 15th for me, and I'm hoping that more entries come in asap!
 JediMaster12
12-15-2008, 2:03 PM
Since we are running short on entries I am keeping the submission date open until the end of this week, Dec 20. Hopefully more people will be interested and we get some art entries.
 LordOfTheFish
12-15-2008, 3:32 PM
JM12, I've got a problem with my entry. When I began writing my story it was only a few days untill the dead line. So in the stress of not finishing in time, I forgot to include the topic.

What should I do?
Page: 1 of 1