Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Very Sensitive Issue: What If Obama Loses?

Page: 1 of 3
 Yar-El
09-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Very Sensitive Issue: What If Obama Loses?
Newsweek has posted an article that is sensititive in nature. Some people believe that Obama will win for sure; however, they don't see that we are split fifty-fifty. A growing concern is how will the African-American community react if Obama loses. Some feel that if he does lose it will be because the election was stolen. This is a serious and sensitive issue.

What If Obama Loses? (http://www.newsweek.com/id/161214)
African-Americans thought he had no chance—then they started to believe. Now they fear defeat.

What is everyone's thoughts?
 El Sitherino
09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
What is everyone's thoughts?

My thoughts include:
A. What the **** does being black have to do with it?
B. Elections aren't stolen, they're pre-determined.
C. If Barack Obama loses and I'm correct about McCain, I'll leave the country for a better place to practice the lifestyle I wish to.
 Astor
09-28-2008, 12:44 PM
You do know that both sides fear defeat, right?
 Rev7
09-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Race doesn't matter
 Inyri
09-28-2008, 1:15 PM
I'm sure race does matter to a lot of people. It shouldn't, but thus is the world we live in.
 Litofsky
09-28-2008, 1:16 PM
I pose your question to you: what if McCain loses? The answer: Obama will become the next President of the United States. Simple as that.

Now, if you're asking about the effects and such if Obama looses, please specify.
 Astor
09-28-2008, 1:27 PM
I'm sure race does matter to a lot of people. It shouldn't, but thus is the world we live in.

Apparently a lot of people in the South weren't voting for the Democrats because of the race of their candidate. They seem to forget that we're all one race, though.
 Inyri
09-28-2008, 1:28 PM
I think you're confusing 'race' and 'species.' It's going to be a long while yet before the human race evolves enough to set aside racial backgrounds.
 SW01
09-28-2008, 1:32 PM
It is quite disturbing that a democratic election is comin close to being a 'race' war...

If Obama loses the election, then it simply means that the democrats didn't have enough support. Nothing more. People ought to remember just how close run this thing is so far - no one can predict how it's going to go in six weeks time. Given that America is composed of two parties, to me that shows that both have managed to gain the entire support of their parties.

If a sizable percentage of Democrats were deciding on an issue so petty and irrelevant as 'race', it would have been much more obvious in polls, long before now.
 Yar-El
09-28-2008, 3:52 PM
I'm guessing from the responses that Newsweek is full of hot air. Media groups like to create divisions when there are none. I agree with the mess of you. Someone's ethnic background is not important. Its all about substance.

If Obama looses the election, it is caused by his inability to connect with the voters.
 EnderWiggin
09-28-2008, 3:53 PM
If a sizable percentage of Democrats were deciding on an issue so petty and irrelevant as 'race', it would have been much more obvious in polls, long before now.

There is a sizable percentage of Americans deciding by way of race. It shouldn't be so, but it is.

I fear you're a bit in the dark here.

_EW_
 Inyri
09-28-2008, 4:04 PM
I'm sure it evens out a bit because a lot of people are voting for him based on race as well.
 HIGH ON PIE 14
09-28-2008, 4:59 PM
Well, if he loses soley because of race (which is what I think the question meant) that would be a terrible day for the U.S. African Americans have worked hard for equal treatment, and seeing one shot down for the presidency just because of race would be terrible. I doubt that this will happen though.

First, the economic situation gave Obama some big points close to election day, something that will be hard for McCain to make up. Also, as Inyri said, the race facotor probably evens out.

Even if Obama loses, I doubt it will be because of race. It will be because the other candidate earned more electoral points (or cheated for them) as the case may be. And so what if people in the south do not go for Obama? The republicans generally win those states anyway, so its not really a loss.

~HOP
 Corinthian
09-28-2008, 5:41 PM
Well, if Obama loses, I'll have my faith reassured, I'll do a little dance, and I might even throw a party. Or I'll just find an Obama Chatroom, wait until someone comments that he only lost because of being 1/2 black, and then laugh at them.
 SW01
09-28-2008, 6:10 PM
There is a sizable percentage of Americans deciding by way of race. It shouldn't be so, but it is.

I fear you're a bit in the dark here.

_EW_

I can't claim to know all about it, I merely meant that it is my percpetion that with the race for President as close as it is, it doesn't seem to have made a real impact with Democrat voters. As you say, it is shameful that such a thing should be a deciding factor in anyone's mind.
 mimartin
09-28-2008, 6:35 PM

QFT

I'm in the South, while most of my family is Republican; a few are yellow dog Democrats. It saddens me, but most of these are determined to vote for McCain now. It has nothing to do with anything, but the color of Obama’s skin. My mother and stepfather were among this group (something I would have never guessed because I was taught to look at the real person and not outward appearances). However, after both choice running mates, the conventions and the first debate my parents are leaning strongly towards Obama.

While I think race will be an issue with some voter on both sides, I don’t think it will be the deciding factor. Americans vote with their pocketbooks. If the economy was going well then race, national security and experience would matter. In this elects, with the current problems with the economy, the deciding factor IMO will be who will handle the economy better.

Oh, if Obama loses I will pray every night for John McCain’s health. I may not like the idea of McSame as President, but Palin actually scares me. That and I will start working on Hilary in 2012. :D
 Q
09-28-2008, 7:38 PM
If Barack Obama loses and I'm correct about McCain, I'll leave the country for a better place to practice the lifestyle I wish to.Careful, Sithy. You're starting to sound like those Hollywood flakes that threaten this same BS every time a Republican has a chance at the presidency...

...and then never bother to follow through. :(

@mimartin: You're more afraid of Palin than Hilary?! Something does not compute here. :confused:
 Achilles
09-28-2008, 7:42 PM
That and I will start working on Obama in 2012. :DFixed

@Qliveur: I'll take selfish and opportunistic over willfully ignorant and incompetent any day.
 Q
09-28-2008, 7:44 PM
Agreed. I'd take Obama over Hilary any day.
 HIGH ON PIE 14
09-28-2008, 9:25 PM
You're more afraid of Palin than Hilary?! Something does not compute here. :confused:

Indeed.

I'd take Obama over Hillary any day as well.

~HOP
 mimartin
09-28-2008, 9:34 PM
@mimartin: You're more afraid of Palin than Hilary?! Something does not compute here. :confused: As President Yes, I'm more afraid of Palin than Hilary.

If we are taking about going out on a date, then I'm more afraid of Hilary. :xp:
 Q
09-28-2008, 9:40 PM
^^^
:rofl:

Excellent. :D

@Qliveur: I'll take selfish and opportunistic over willfully ignorant and incompetent any day.
Normally I would agree with you but that woman has aspirations of dictatorship if I've ever seen them. Don't we have enough of that right now?
 HIGH ON PIE 14
09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
As President Yes, I'm more afraid of Palin than Hilary.

If we are taking about going out on a date, then I'm more afraid of Hilary. :xp:

:lol: :xp:

Just brilliant. I tend to agree with Qliveur about Hillary though...she would do it if she thought she could get away with it. Oh, imagine poor Bill having to actually live with her. *shudders*

~HOP

~HOP
 Jae Onasi
09-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Many of you are not old enough to remember the Rodney King incident (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King) and the LA '92 riots, and what happened to Reginald Denny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oliver_Denny). I lived in Ohio at the time, and I can tell you race anxiety went up tremendously, black and white both even there.

We live in WI, and the race divide is still there, like it or not. If Obama loses by a definitive margin, I think we'll be OK. If Obama wins it won't be an issue. If Obama loses and the election is contested the way the 2000 election was, I think there might well be some race riots in the state(s) where the votes are contested, and it does concern me as I live in a swing state right now.

Just brilliant. I tend to agree with Qliveur about Hillary though...she would do it if she thought she could get away with it. Oh, imagine poor Bill having to actually live with her. *shudders*

I find the blatant sexism offensive. We don't joke about the men like this, I'd appreciate it if you all gave the women the same respect. And here we're talking about how we shouldn't be racist. :roleyess:
 Achilles
09-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Why does not liking Hillary because of her demeanor constitute "blatant sexism"?
 Web Rider
09-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I find the blatant sexism offensive. We don't joke about the men like this, I'd appreciate it if you all gave the women the same respect. And here we're talking about how we shouldn't be racist. :roleyess:

You know that's not true. I hear women "joke" like that about men all the time. Heck, people make the same comparason in reverse where they feel sorry for Hillary having to put up with him for some reason. It's generally considered PC to make such comments about men too.
 Tommycat
09-29-2008, 12:42 AM
I agree with Jae on this one. If it's a contested race even close to how contested the 2000 election was, we may see "race" riots. While we have grown more tolerant of other ethnicities(I dislike the term "race") there is a level of racism in many people out there(sadly I seem to see it a lot now that I'm dating again). This could be the spark that triggers the powderkeg we're sitting on. Of course Obama losing isn't the only thing that could trigger it. If he wins and some racist b7 decides to take it apon himself to asassinate him that could trigger a backlash against all caucasians.
 JediMaster12
09-29-2008, 2:27 PM
I think you're confusing 'race' and 'species.' It's going to be a long while yet before the human race evolves enough to set aside racial backgrounds.
Inyri, race is a social construct. It is not a biological term or anything like that.

Tommycat: I prefer ethnicities myself. An old rule of thumb is that race deals with physical attributes but ethnicity deals with geography. Race is a social construct developed by those in positions of power to subjugate the minority and justify it.

As to the actual question, I know that if Obama loses the election my mother would probably cheer the oudest in the streets. you know for someone who professes equality, she sure doesn't act like it since she insists that Obama is a Muslim and she "don't want no Muslim for president." I'm in a mind to point out that she's as bad as those Republicans who say that sure everyone can go college but you have to be rich and white or something like that. Of course I won't do that since she's my mother and I pretty much never discuss with her or my granpa over matters like that.

My mother recently sent me an email about white privilege in relation to the upcoming elections. In it was the attachment for the blog regarding white privilege and some examples. I'll post the link.

http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege)
 Inyri
09-29-2008, 2:28 PM
Inyri, race is a social construct. It is not a biological term or anything like that.Actually it is a biological term: clickie and educate yourself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(biology))
 JediMaster12
09-29-2008, 2:37 PM
Actually it is a biological term: clickie and educate yourself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(biology))
From a social science perspective it is a social construct and I have doubts in trusting an entry from a wiki page. ;)

Web Rider: Does being PC mean making comments such as those you were discussing mean that you have to appear to be snob? Frankly this exchange of insults is petty and not essential to the issues the US is facing.
 Inyri
09-29-2008, 2:38 PM
From a social science perspective it is a social construct and I have doubts in trusting an entry from a wiki page. ;)I trust my biology degree that says the wiki page is accurate. And just because you looked at it from a social perspective doesn't mean it isn't a biological term. Please do some research before you decide to nitpick semantics.
 Web Rider
09-29-2008, 3:12 PM
Web Rider: Does being PC mean making comments such as those you were discussing mean that you have to appear to be snob? Frankly this exchange of insults is petty and not essential to the issues the US is facing.

Of course they're not essential to the issues, what bugged me is that Jae talked about women like they never say those sorts of things about men. And that's simply not true, I don't like the jokes regardless of what side they're coming from, but it's unfair, and downright incorrect to say or imply that women don't do it.

IMO, if Obama loses there will only be race riots if certain electorates repeated some of their practices of keeping people out of the polls. And they might very well be aware of this and attempt to correct it to keep themselves from harm.

Me personally, I don't think I can stomach another 4 years of this country doing the whole Bush Doctrine thing. I'm not particularly fond of any other country in particular to move to, but I don't think I'd have much fondness for this one left with another 4 years of Bushness.
 Jae Onasi
09-29-2008, 3:51 PM
Race, ethnicity, whatever. Wave your degrees around in PMs if you need, but the topic is what would happen if Obama loses. Please stay on topic.

As for the sexism discussion, yes men and women talk that way. However, I prefer not to deal with the boy's locker room 'OMG Palin is teh HAWT', especially in a thread that's trying to deal with racism issues.

If Obama got assassinated, I think we would also see riots, unless Biden was able to rally enough of the black leadership to quell any violence.
 mimartin
09-29-2008, 4:32 PM
If Obama got assassinated, I think we would also see riots, unless Biden was able to rally enough of the black leadership to quell any violence. I think it all depends on who was behind the assassination. If the shooter was killed and turned out to be a terrorist, I doubt there would be riots. There may be retaliation against the innocent American-Muslim population, but I doubt full scale riots. Now if Dick Cheney invites Obama hunting...:xp:

If the election turns out like the 2000 election then I do see riots. If the election were decided again by the United States Supreme Court instead of the Electoral College then I will be out there rioting with the masses. So, count one old white Scott/Irish/Cherokee among the rabble.
 Achilles
09-29-2008, 8:18 PM
However, I prefer not to deal with the boy's locker room 'OMG Palin is teh HAWT', especially in a thread that's trying to deal with racism issues.The "hawt" comments didn't begin until after you accused us of being sexist, so I still don't understand how you came to the conclusion that we were being sexist in the first place. Since you did use a broad brush to label quite a few people, I don't think it unreasonable to expect an explanation here (or you could withdraw the comment). Thanks for your attention.
 Web Rider
09-29-2008, 8:22 PM
The "hawt" comments didn't begin until after you accused us of being sexist, so I still don't understand how you came to the conclusion that we were being sexist in the first place. Since you did use a broad brush to label quite a few people, I don't think it unreasonable to expect an explanation here (or you could withdraw the comment). Thanks for your attention.

I have to agree that this was my summation as well, though I was planning to let the issue drop, since it hasn't been, I suppose I'll speak up that yeah, those statements did not occur, or did not occur until after your post. A quick review of those posts does not lead me to find any comments beyond posters saying they were more or less afraid of Hillary than Palin.
 Yar-El
09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Why does not liking Hillary because of her demeanor constitute "blatant sexism"?

Achilles - Here is your answer:
As President Yes, I'm more afraid of Palin than Hilary.

Yes, this is a sexist comment. Jae was commenting on mimartin's statement, and the others who replied in a similar fashion. :tsk: :tsk:

As for the topic at hand, Obama's loss would change the United States. People would riot regardless about the marginal difference. If the differences are larger, the riots will be smaller and isolated. - If the difference is smaller in points, the riots will be larger and more worldly.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, this is a sexist comment. Jae was commenting on mimartin's statement, and the others who replied in a similar fashion. :tsk: :tsk:She was responding to HOP's comment:

Which wasn't actually sexist since he'd be the first First Man (or whatever he'd be referred to) ever and Hillary's Hillary, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near her either, especially if I was married to her because of our political careers. Her calling someone out about sexism in a joking manner (which was how I interpreted his comment) is especially amusing since I've seen her post jokes about the stereotypical male who is obsessed with sex both here and on Skype.
 mimartin
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes, this is a sexist comment. Jae was commenting on mimartin's statement, and the others who replied in a similar fashion. :tsk: :tsk:

My comment was a joke and nothing more. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I could care less if I am labeled a sexist by anyone on this forum. However, my intention was merely to make a joke, not to offend anyone. If Jae finds my comment offensive then she is within her rights as a Moderator to delete the post. Even though I cannot see how it violates any forum rule, I understand a Moderator can delete a post at their own discretion.

I will not apologize for the post, as I see nothing sexist about it. The way I judge that is, I would not be embarrassed if my mother, stepmother or grandmothers read it. I regret that if anyone found it offensive, but that was not how it was intended.
 Corinthian
09-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Isn't it pretty racist to assume that if Obama loses the race, there will be race riots? Do you believe that the Black Community is that...temperamental, Yar-El?
 Yar-El
09-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Isn't it pretty racist to assume that if Obama loses the race, there will be race riots? Do you believe that the Black Community is that...temperamental, Yar-El? People who think Obama's loss is a step back for the African-American community may riot. I wasn't pointing to a specific social or ethnic group. My comment was not clear, and I apologize for not being specific.

Web Rider -
Whites? European-American thank you. Lol...
 Web Rider
09-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Isn't it pretty racist to assume that if Obama loses the race, there will be race riots? Do you believe that the Black Community is that...temperamental, Yar-El?

Actually, I've been thinking that too about a number of posts here saying there will be race riots if Obama isn't elected by a slim margin. I'm fairly certain that if we had another Florida+Supreme Court fiasco like we did in 2000, there's be riots by people of every race. And considering that most of the country is white, and a lot of them support Obama, I'd think whites would make up a good proportion of the rioters, Latino's probably would too.

I think we'd see a fairly accurate representation of america's demographics if there are riots. From all I've read, the black community does not see Obama as their champion. Some don't support him at all.
 Corinthian
09-29-2008, 11:42 PM
So you're not saying that blacks are temperamental loons who will blow up like a powder keg if they don't get their way, you're saying that Liberals in general are like that? I mean, you aren't saying that there'll be rioting if McCain loses, so obviously, whatever the catalyst for the Rioting would be, it's on the Democrat's side.
 mimartin
09-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Well this loon will be marching in the streets if Obama wins or if McCain wins if the election is decided by the courts and not the Electoral College. I may lean more to the liberal side on social issues, but primarily I am a supporter of my country.
 Web Rider
09-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Web Rider -

Pfff, that's giving all of Europe credit for my heritage. I'm anglo-saxon thank you.

edit: Caucasian would also have been acceptable.

And because of the way the word applies, Latino works as well. :xp:
 Yar-El
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Pfff, that's giving all of Europe credit for my heritage. I'm anglo-saxon thank you.

edit: Caucasian would also have been acceptable.

And because of the way the word applies, Latino works as well. :xp:
:xp: Italian-American, Latino-America, European-American, etc... :lol: Who do we blame for the whole politically correct movement? :lol:

So you're not saying that blacks are temperamental loons who will blow up like a powder keg if they don't get their way, you're saying that Liberals in general are like that? I mean, you aren't saying that there'll be rioting if McCain loses, so obviously, whatever the catalyst for the Rioting would be, it's on the Democrat's side. I was pretty clear in my post, so I'm not going to comment any further. We could thin out what I said forever.
 Corinthian
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Whatever. I just don't buy into the whole 'riot' thing. I think that's just fearmongering. It carries an undertone of a threat - Vote Obama, or you will regret it when the rioting starts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
 Arcesious
09-30-2008, 12:41 AM
What if?

If it happens, it happens. I will do everything in my power to outsmart the clever economics of this unfair, partisan-ruled country if I have to though. I'd rather live than struggle to survive... Now all I need to do first is learn all the exact details on how this economy works so that I can manage my finances intelligently...
 Jae Onasi
09-30-2008, 12:47 AM
From all I've read, the black community does not see Obama as their champion.
An estimated 90 to 95% of African-Americans eligible to vote are, according to some polls, expected to vote for Obama. I think it's pretty safe to say Obama's their man.

I'm Anglo-Lithuanian-Scotch-Swiss-Swede-French-Irish-German-American Indian-American. I would like to be addressed in this manner rather than 'white'. That is all.

Now all I need to do first is learn all the exact details on how this economy works so that I can manage my finances intelligently...It's very simple. Don't spend more than you earn.
 GarfieldJL
10-01-2008, 6:15 PM
People who think Obama's loss is a step back for the African-American community may riot. I wasn't pointing to a specific social or ethnic group. My comment was not clear, and I apologize for not being specific.

Web Rider -

I don't really give if people riot or not, I don't want a left wing lunatic with ties to terrorists, radicals, and extremists to be President of the United States.

Right now I'd rather see Hillary in the White House over Obama.
Page: 1 of 3