Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"The Witcher" by CD Projekt

Page: 3 of 5
 SpaceAlex
11-29-2007, 2:34 AM
I had assumed that they didn't want to insult our intelligence by spoon-feeding it to us.

Yeah, they probably wanted us to feel good about ourselves for figuring out the mystery. :D

IIRC, it was something like, "Oh, come on. You know you love her" followed by a few dialog choices. It may have only been unlocked via another dialog choice or something though. Who knows?

I'll have to pay more attention to it in my next playthrough.
 Achilles
11-30-2007, 9:59 PM
Yeah, they probably wanted us to feel good about ourselves for figuring out the mystery. :DHeh, just met up with Alvin again in Lakeside...he mentioned wanting to play "kill the elf" and commented that he always gets to be "the Grand Master" when he plays with the other kids :D

I'll have to pay more attention to it in my next playthrough.FWIW, your response to Dandelion's comment is the very last step in the Identity quest, however the game ends at the end of the dialog, so you never get to see a completely empty journal.
 SpaceAlex
12-01-2007, 6:51 AM
Heh, just met up with Alvin again in Lakeside...he mentioned wanting to play "kill the elf" and commented that he always gets to be "the Grand Master" when he plays with the other kids :D

Hehe, yup, nice clue there. But just like with KOTOR (though admitively, the clues are far more obvious there, and not that well hidden), the dialogues that contain clues usually look just like normal dialogues on the first playthrough. You don't usually notice these stuff unless you already know what will happen, or are paying very close attention to the game.
 Achilles
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Yep. The beginning of Chapter 5 has a whole different meaning now that I have context.
 oldflash
12-04-2007, 2:49 AM
Few times I've heard something like a small piese of star wars audiotrack so I search-it and found-it (http://oldflash.batcave.net/enm_whistle5.wav).
 Char Ell
12-10-2007, 8:30 PM
OK. Based on the positive comments many people whose opinion I respect have made in this thread I decided to buy this game. :freakout: :D Haven't been reading any of the spoilers in this thread though.

I had a hard time adjusting to the combat system until about halfway through Chapter 1. I'm still not real comfortable with it but can operate it decently now. I just finished Chapter 1 yesterday and due to the events at the end of that chapter thought I had lost all the loot I stored at the inn. Luckily I found out that wasn't the case. *phew* What a relief!

It has also taken a while for me to warm up to the story. It wasn't until the latter part of Chapter 1 that I started getting pulled in. I'm not sure about the potion/sword greasing/bomb making system. IMHO it's already fairly complex and I'm guessing it's only going to get moreso as the game continues.
 Achilles
12-10-2007, 8:51 PM
OK. Based on the positive comments many people whose opinion I respect have made in this thread I decided to buy this game. :freakout: :D Haven't been reading any of the spoilers in this thread though. Congratulations on the purchase!

I had a hard time adjusting to the combat system until about halfway through Chapter 1. I'm still not real comfortable with it but can operate it decently now. Yeah, it is a little different: not quite turn-based and not quite button-mashing. Keep in mind that as you add points into your swordsmanship skills, your attacks will become more complicated, thereby throwing off your timing.

It has also taken a while for me to warm up to the story. It wasn't until the latter part of Chapter 1 that I started getting pulled in. Sounds about right. Parts of the story won't make much sense until the 2nd playthrough (ala Sith Lords).

I'm not sure about the potion/sword greasing/bomb making system. IMHO it's already fairly complex and I'm guessing it's only going to get moreso as the game continues.Err...ok. You need strong alcohol for potions, grease for sword grease, and powder for bombs. As you go through the game you can gain recipes for each via a myriad of means (books, plot points, NPC dialogs, etc). If you know the recipe then all you have to do is click on the recipe name from the list after clicking on the alchemy button while meditating.

The engine will automatically load the ingredients for you, so all you have to do is click the create button to actually make the potion/grease/bomb.

Once you understand the process, then secondary attributes should become self-evident. I hope that helps.
 Aash Li
12-10-2007, 9:10 PM
I wish I could play a female chara in this game... :| Wonder if it can be modded... >.>
 Char Ell
12-11-2007, 9:36 PM
You need strong alcohol for potions, grease for sword grease, and powder for bombs. As you go through the game you can gain recipes for each via a myriad of means (books, plot points, NPC dialogs, etc). If you know the recipe then all you have to do is click on the recipe name from the list after clicking on the alchemy button while meditating. Gotcha and thanks. I think the main part I was struggling with was the potion bases. I did some reading on the Witcher Wiki last night after I posted this and discovered that there are three levels of alcohol strengths for potions. Now I'm going to see if the recipe system pulls in the appropriate alcohol strength for the potion and doesn't pull in the higher level if it isn't needed.

The other thing I discovered was those ingredients with secondary components (albedo, nigredo, rubedo) give the potion some nice bonuses if the same secondary component is present along with all the primary components the potion requires. See, this is the problem I had with TSL too. I'm an, how shall I say, enhancement addict? I've just got to use all the methods available in-game to make my PC as strong/powerful as possible. So like with TSL's item upgrade system, where I just had to figure out which upgrade combinations gave my characters the best bonuses for armor, weapones, et al., now I'm going to have to identify all the potion ingredients with albedo, nigredo, and rubedo that I can use to make potions with accompanying bonuses. But of course when I do this I annoy myself by spending too much time on figuring out how to maximize enhancements instead of playing the game. It's a personal problem, I know, and most likely much more info than anybody here wanted to know. :animelol: :giveup:

Any tips on fist fighting?

I wish I could play a female chara in this game... :| Wonder if it can be modded... >.> You just know someone has gotta give Geraltia some hooters!!! ;)
 Achilles
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Gotcha and thanks. I think the main part I was struggling with was the potion bases. I did some reading on the Witcher Wiki last night after I posted this and discovered that there are three levels of alcohol strengths for potions. Now I'm going to see if the recipe system pulls in the appropriate alcohol strength for the potion and doesn't pull in the higher level if it isn't needed. It doesn't, however if you want to make a low-level potion but only have a high-level alcohol, then it will.

You can also make top-level alcohol, called White Gull, out of low-level alcohol via the alchemy system.

On one final note, I can't determine any kind of rhyme or reason as to how it pulls ingredients. Being anal retentive, I do find myself spending quite a bit of time removing the ingredients it defaults to and replacing them with more common equivalents.

The other thing I discovered was those ingredients with secondary components (albedo, nigredo, rubedo) give the potion some nice bonuses if the same secondary component is present along with all the primary components the potion requires. See, this is the problem I had with TSL too. I'm an, how shall I say, enhancement addict? I've just got to use all the methods available in-game to make my PC as strong/powerful as possible. So like with TSL's item upgrade system, where I just had to figure out which upgrade combinations gave my characters the best bonuses for armor, weapones, et al., now I'm going to have to identify all the potion ingredients with albedo, nigredo, and rubedo that I can use to make potions with accompanying bonuses. But of course when I do this I annoy myself by spending too much time on figuring out how to maximize enhancements instead of playing the game. It's a personal problem, I know, and most likely much more info than anybody here wanted to know. :animelol: :giveup: I do the same thing. Tawny Owl with Albedo is pretty easy to do (Drowner brains and White myrtle petals). Pop one of those before a boss fight and all subsequent potion toxicity will be reduced. Also if you can find another useful potion (like Cat or Willow) to pair with Rubedo, then you really don't need to make any more Swallow potions (Rubedo effect lasts much, much longer).

This is more of an exploit, but I'll share it anyways. When you rest your toxicity drops to zero, even though potion effects will still be there if they have time left on them. Taking a few long lasting potions then resting then taking a few more allows you to really potion-up to a ridiculous degree.

Any tips on fist fighting? Well I won't attest to how accurate or true this is, but I've found it best to simply repeat punch-block-punch-block. Seems that if you block just as soon as the fist pops up the yellow crosshairs, you'll never take any damage. Allegedly that's the cue for some sort of mega ultra super duper fist fighting moves, but I've never been able to get it to work (yes, I put bronze points into the necessary skills). So left click when it's a fist, right click when you get the fist with the yellow cross hairs. Hope that helps.
 Darth333
12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
now I'm going to have to identify all the potion ingredients with albedo, nigredo, and rubedo that I can use to make potions with accompanying bonuses.
tk102 already took care of that for you: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Ingredients_CSV) :)
 J_Slash
12-12-2007, 2:30 PM
Hey everyone, i've been poking around in the game files, thanks tk102 by the way, but most of them don't change any thing in the game..
I was trying to add a button to the inventory to be able to meditate anywhere, so i tried the .gui files but no luck! anyone knows how to do that?? is it scripted or hardcoded or is there something i'm missing?? thanks..
 Char Ell
12-12-2007, 8:54 PM
It doesn't, however if you want to make a low-level potion but only have a high-level alcohol, then it will. Makes sense. It's nice to have people who have already played the game available to answer these questions. Saves me time so thanks. ;)
On one final note, I can't determine any kind of rhyme or reason as to how it pulls ingredients. Being anal retentive, I do find myself spending quite a bit of time removing the ingredients it defaults to and replacing them with more common equivalents. Yes. I noticed that too once I started paying attention to the components of the ingredients. :)
Tawny Owl with Albedo is pretty easy to do (Drowner brains and White myrtle petals). Pop one of those before a boss fight and all subsequent potion toxicity will be reduced. Also if you can find another useful potion (like Cat or Willow) to pair with Rubedo, then you really don't need to make any more Swallow potions (Rubedo effect lasts much, much longer). Excellent tips. Thanks again.

Well I won't attest to how accurate or true this is, but I've found it best to simply repeat punch-block-punch-block. Seems that if you block just as soon as the fist pops up the yellow crosshairs, you'll never take any damage. Allegedly that's the cue for some sort of mega ultra super duper fist fighting moves, but I've never been able to get it to work (yes, I put bronze points into the necessary skills). So left click when it's a fist, right click when you get the fist with the yellow cross hairs. Hope that helps. Yeah. That is what confused me as well. I put the bronze points into the fistfighting skills and now sometimes during fistfights get what appears to be the same little status bar when I click and hold the right mouse button for a powered up attack using a sign. But the combat doesn't seem to do anything differently when that happens and of course right click only causes my PC to duck. Meh. I hope there is just something we're missing with this and that fist fighting skills aren't a waste of bronze points.
tk102 already took care of that for you: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Ingredients_CSV) :) Suh-weet! More time savings. Thanks tk. Like always, you da man!
 Darth333
12-12-2007, 9:37 PM
Hey everyone, i've been poking around in the game files, thanks tk102 by the way, but most of them don't change any thing in the game..
I was trying to add a button to the inventory to be able to meditate anywhere, so i tried the .gui files but no luck! anyone knows how to do that?? is it scripted or hardcoded or is there something i'm missing?? thanks..
I haven't really looked into it but adding a button to the gui will likely not change anything. I'd rather look at the campfire placeables (like ob-fireplace01.utp ). There is an onused script ( ob_fireonuse.ncs ). I didn't decompiled the script as there is no nwscript.nss provided with the game :( but you could try with the nwn or kotor nwscript.nss. Tt seems that it works with some simple scripts. I have both games uninstalled so I can't tell . ob_fireonuse.ncs does seem to refer to waypoints though...which means you will not be able to get it working by simply attaching the script were you want. Until we have a way to compile new scripts, I think you're out of luck.
 J_Slash
12-13-2007, 2:39 AM
ob_fireonuse.ncs does seem to refer to waypoints though...which means you will not be able to get it working by simply attaching the script were you want. Until we have a way to compile new scripts, I think you're out of luck.

Maybe the waypoints are used in conversations like with the innkeeper, and several other characters that have the "rest/meditate" icon, which i wanna add, but you are right there seems to be no way to attach the script to the .gui files, that is if they are used.... thanks Darth333.:)

One more thing, does anyone know of a way to remove the restriction of being unable to use weapons or signs when it's "safe"?? It's really bugging me, sometimes i need to use Igni to start a fire and have no room for flint, or use the torch, or even start a rampage when i'm bored!!:dev9:
 tk102
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
On one final note, I can't determine any kind of rhyme or reason as to how it pulls ingredients. Being anal retentive, I do find myself spending quite a bit of time removing the ingredients it defaults to and replacing them with more common equivalents.I think it chooses the ingredients whose oldest stack is newer than the other ingredients of the same type. Sort of a last-in-first-out type of thing based on the first item #1 in the stack. That was my impression. Usually that means it chooses the ingredient that will run out first. I'd rather it treat them like a suit in cards: no secondary, negredo, rubedo, albedo. Or something.

Meh. I hope there is just something we're missing with this and that fist fighting skills aren't a waste of bronze points.Well the fistfighting system is due for an upgrade. Hopefully the next patch will address it because you can win any fight by blocking-punching-blocking-punching. Therefore it is a waste of a bronze talent IMO.
thanks tk102Thanks tkYou're welcome. :) I'm sure someone else would've done the same soon enough.
 Char Ell
12-13-2007, 11:09 PM
I had a :eyeraise: moment in Chapter 2
In the Temple Quarter where you enter the house across from the warehouse and get a quest to rid another house of its ghosts. Of course for those that have already played the game you know that this is a set up and Geralt gets ambushed at the "haunted" house. But of course I saved the female half-elf held captive there and she told me where I could find her. Now, I guess I should have had a clue as to what was going to happen but I innocently (or naively if you prefer) went to her place and in the course of conversation thought my PC was learning the elvish tongue from her. I thought, "Cool. I wonder what this will do for my PC?" Next thing I know my PC has bedded the wench. :drop2: I was seriously like, "What the...??!! How did my PC go from learning elvish to romping in the hay?!" :animelol:
 tk102
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Geralt has a mind of his own. :)
 Achilles
12-14-2007, 1:14 AM
I had a :eyeraise: moment in Chapter 2 <snip>
I thought the exact same thing. Woulda thunk there was such a thing as accidentally getting laid.
 Achilles
12-15-2007, 3:16 PM
Demo now available for anyone that wants to try it out.

Linky (http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/www/download_the_demo.html)
 tk102
12-20-2007, 9:24 AM
Patch 1.2 (http://www.thewitcher.com/registration/en/www/patch.html)

================================================== ====
5a. Patch 1.2 Major Fixes

Gameplay and text bugs fixed:
- Fixes for Alina not being at her home when she should (Act 4).
- Wife's Tears Potion fixes.
- Fixes for usable doors on the swamps (Act 5).
- Fixes for Alchemist in manufacture giving quest items to Geralt (Act 3).
- Fixes for some items to be found in Fields (Act 4).
- Fixes for a disappearing enemy in quest Haunted House (Act2).
- Fixed problems with Alvin's spawn (Act 1).
- Few minor text fixes for all languages.

Code bugs fixed:
- Loading times are much faster!
- Saving is much faster!
- Another portion of stability improvements.
- Fix for rare "red rectangle" effect on loading bar.
- Quest tracking fixes.
- Some cursor fixes connected with finishers in tight places.
- Quest now won't update when Geralt is dead causing multiple problems.
- Autosave mechanism fixes (numeration).
- Savegame files fixes – some irrelevant information was sometimes generated inside.
- The game won't make an autosave if Geralt has an effect preventing him from talking (like knockdown, stun, push) - the result would be no talking at all for the rest of the game.
- Now you can't attack neutral NPCs if you input the second (etc.) sword sequence in them, while first attacking a hostile.
- Dandelion's music won't be 'echoed' while changing location twice.
- The game can handle broken savegames now – it returns to main menu.
- Motion blur effect won't stay active despite Blizzard potion wearing off – drinking, then changing location, then cutscene.
- Final fixes for weapons disappearing from enemies’ hands.
- Grass and small stones being multiplied – fixed.
- Fixes for receiving damage from Striga while being far away.

Art bugs fixed:
- Few level decoration fixes.
- Fixes for barghest attack animation.

5b. Patch 1.1 Major Fixes

Gameplay & text bugs fixed:
- Fixed character development issues with some abilities and skills.
- Fixes for some storyline related progression breaks.
- Fixes for druids' day-night cycle in Act 5.
- Fixes for sex scene with nurses in Act 5.
- Signet fixes (some signets were received twice).
- Fixed story incoherency regarding Erkyn in Act 3.
- Experience gain indication localization fixes.
- Mutagen potion - new fixes for showing up a message.
- Fixed items used in eating animations.
- Geralt's allies fixed to always react properly to all mosnters.
- Bounty Hunter is Agent Smith no more (he doesn't replicate). Mr. Geralt, we missed you...
- Echinopses and Archespores now use their own spikes instead of arrows.
- Fixes for alchemical ingredients extracted from some monsters.
- Raven Crypt - few fixes for geometry and placeables.
- Fixed few places where player was supposed to meditate, but couldn't.
- Fixed story incoherence in Berengar quest.
- Berengar won't disappear on sight when sparing him.
- A whole lot of localization fixes (some of them won't work with old savegames!).

Code bugs fixed:
- Fixed all diagnosed stability issues and crashes.
- Fixed few gameplay issues with WSAD and mousedrive controls.
- Alt-Tab related issues fixed (random crashes, hang-ups, cursor blocking).
- Cat potion estimated time display - fixed.
- Dropping items from the inventory fixes for better spread.
- Weapon visual FXes fixed during dialogues.
- Confirmation box shown when player uses Quick Load.
- Tooltip fixes for lower resolutions (for example 800x600).
- All read books now have the appropriate note in description.
- Sitting animation fixes for few characters that sat beside the chair.
- Alt-Tab fixes for dialogue lines and gameplay options.
- Savegame option blocked around Aard throwing time.
- Audio: rat squealing sound fixes for minimized mode.
- Movies and cutscenes fixes for Alt-Tabbing.
- AI: fixed NPCs chasing enemies that were no more.
- AI: few poker fixes.
- Fixed problems with items appearing back in storages.
- Fixed blizzard problems with cutscenes and dialogues.
- Fixed toxicity effect for Alt-Tabbing.
- Finishers fixes - animation sometimes did not play.
- When taking out an unknown item of the storage, the user can no longer see the name of the potion. Good one...
- Fixed saving in tight places (player got teleported after load... sometimes).

Art & sound bugs fixed:
- Vizim's Temple Quarter: ~30 physics fixes; corrected barrels; ~10 decoration fixes.
- Kaer Morhen: Wild animals fixes.
- Sewers: commoners sleeping fxes; ~5 item properties fixes; ~10 skeleton placement fixes.
- Vizim's Temple Quarter/Burning Vizim:The banner on the tower is no longer black.
- Old Manor: Koschey boss movement fixes.
- Mutants fixes for decapitation. That means no decapitation now.
- Werewolf physics fixes.
- Chainmail stand placeable now has collision surface (player/npc can't pass through it).
- Celina brightness fixes for interiors.
- Order knights lighting fixes.
- Bread item fixes for eating animation.
- More detailed model of Horse+Wagon for opening cutscenes.
- Journal entry for crypts fixed now.
- A child in epilogue cutscene doesn't look like badly sewn young Frankenstein.
- Old lady and dwarves - idle animation fixes.
 Achilles
12-20-2007, 5:52 PM
- Loading times are much faster!
- Saving is much faster! Can't wait to find out what this means :)
 Char Ell
12-21-2007, 9:34 AM
I would very much like to see quicker loading and saving times as well. My only concern is applying the patch when I'm in the middle of my first play through of the game. Well, I guess there is only one way to find out.

3) The following video cards should be set to run at 1024x768 with High Detail settings:
ATI RADEON X1950 XTX, ATI RADEON HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX, NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX :eyeraise: I've been running at 1920x1200 and the game seems to be working just fine. It just won't let me run any anti-aliasing at that resolution.
 Darth333
12-21-2007, 9:47 AM
I would very much like to see quicker loading and saving times as well. My only concern is applying the patch when I'm in the middle of my first play through of the game. Well, I guess there is only one way to find out.
From what the devs posted, it shouldn't create any problems. Some fixes will only take effect when you start a new act (or restart the current act), like kotor or nwn (modules).

eyeraise: I've been running at 1920x1200 and the game seems to be working just fine. It just won't let me run any anti-aliasing at that resolution.
They've been a bit conservative with that. I've been running the game in 1650x1080 with a x1950xtx with everything maxed out (except the amount of small animals which is set to medium ) and 4xAA without problems.
 HappyMojo
12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
1,2 really helped my loading/saving times to the almost bearable. All they need to do now is include the ability to jump, and a few more details to make the game feel more smooth. But the story is so damn good. I love it.
 Lance Monance
12-26-2007, 7:22 AM
I'm so glad they found a way to decrease the loading and saving time. I've just finished the second chapter and I'm very impressed with the game so far. I consider the quest "Vizima Confidential" with its numerous sideplots and twists among the very best quests of all RPGs I know. Compelling quests like that and the highly interesting character Geralt keep me playing.
 Corinthian
12-26-2007, 6:19 PM
My lord. My brother and I played this game, and I felt it was horrendous. The women dress like hookers, and act like them, Geralt is such a hideously cliche ridden character - white hair and glowing yellow eyes? With a big scar over one eye that somehow DIDN'T blind him? The combat's incredibly stupid, about a step up from Neverwinter Nights combat except without the strategy of using significant magic or even strategy. It's just run in, hit, dodge back, hit, dodge back. Good gravy.

I rate this game a 4/10.
 Char Ell
12-26-2007, 7:18 PM
Interesting. So did you and your brother finish playing The Witcher? And if you did finish playing this game about how many hours would you say it took you?
 Corinthian
12-26-2007, 7:55 PM
Nah, didn't finish it. He got fed up around Act III, I got fed up before I even finished Act I. A good game should grab you well before your first couple hours playing are up. The game was nauseatingly...BAD.
 Acleacius
12-31-2007, 8:53 PM
tk102, I was wondering if there was any hope of you making one of your famous Save Game Editors? ;)

Thanks. :)
 tk102
12-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Acleacius, I considered that... I did make the save game extractor/repacker utility that will let you GFF edit Geralt as you like. That's essentially what a savegame editor does, only that it provides an interface for performing the GFF editing.
 Acleacius
01-01-2008, 1:40 AM
I did download the Extractor it but haven't tried it yet, was afraid it might be too difficult for me. The game seems rather popular with the RPG crowd world wide, even garnering several GotY awards, especially after the 1.2 patch helped all the loading times.

I guess I was hoping you would have the time but it's completely understandable if you don't, not to mention this is holiday season for many.
Though if you do ever get time I am sure many people would enjoy it and appreciate it especially since there has been no editor released yet. :)

I will give the Extractor a try and hope I don't blow up the lab! ;)
 Char Ell
01-02-2008, 8:11 PM
I've been seeing a few reports of CTD with patch 1.2 for The Witcher. I checked the official Witcher forums because I started experiencing the problem myself, CTD after 2+ hours playtime. I didn't have any crashing problems with 1.1a. My guess is a memory leak.

Anybody else experiencing crashes to desktop after playing The Witcher v1.2 for more than a couple of hours?
 Wookiee Rrudolf
01-03-2008, 5:05 PM
I've been seeing a few reports of CTD with patch 1.2 for The Witcher. I checked the official Witcher forums because I started experiencing the problem myself, CTD after 2+ hours playtime. I didn't have any crashing problems with 1.1a. My guess is a memory leak.

Anybody else experiencing crashes to desktop after playing The Witcher v1.2 for more than a couple of hours?
Haven't seen anything like that. I had only one crash with The Witcher (unpatched) when I removed my disk from DVD-ROM while playing and Tages driver sent me to desktop :/
I use patch 1.2 now (it made loading times bearable) but I can't play for longer than 3-4 hours becous my computer gets overheated... But than again I had no CTD witch patch 1.2.
 Acleacius
01-04-2008, 7:18 AM
Char Ell, yes I noticed the same thing, I don't think it's video card related, I have a ATI in case, but think it's more to do with the way the cut down the Save data, to increase the Load times, but like you I didn't have this problem with 1.1a.

I noticed in the Outskirts everything was much faster as promised, in the Temple District the second area, some of the speed benefit had decreased in the Main hub yet still fast in the chunks. By the time I got to Market district it seemed all the speed increase in the Main hub had disappeared and even the chunks had not much sign of improvement any longer.
 Char Ell
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I started a second playthrough of this game. Of course I had a much better idea of what I wanted to do the second time, now that I know how the game flows and such. Only problem is for the life of me I can't get past the 1st level boss now.

I remember having this problem during my first playthrough but after poking around and reading about how others defeated this chapter 1 foe I used some of those strategies and was able to defeat it. Now when I try those strategies they no longer work and my PC always ends up succumbing to death's scythe. The only difference is the first time I was on patch 1.1a and now I'm on patch 1.2. I'm thinking to myself, "Did they seriously make this encounter more difficult with 1.2 than it already was ?!?!" Anyway, this portion of the game gives me the greatest cause for grief. IMHO the designers just didn't get this part right, what with all the dialog and long cutscene followed immediately by the boss battle with no opportunity to save. Very irritating. :mad:
 Darth333
01-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Did you upgraded Aard? It's the most useful power for that battle. On medium difficulty a Blizzard potion + Aard + strong style = 1 hit kill.

I also tried it on hard but it wasn't as easy (maybe it was the patch!). Right after the end of the cutscene I take a Blizzard and a swallow potion and I use Aard on the boss but after 2-3 sword hits, while the boss is still stunned, I run away until Geralt's powers and health are replete (and to avoid being blinded and killed by the boss and its minions)...rinse and repeat until either Geralt or the boss dies :p
 Char Ell
01-27-2008, 1:00 AM
Did you upgraded Aard? It's the most useful power for that battle. On medium difficulty a Blizzard potion + Aard + strong style = 1 hit kill. Thanks for the tips, D3. It finally worked! I guess I was under the impression that I needed to slay the barghests before I could start hacking on the hellhound. I had upgraded Aard some but maybe I didn't upgrade it enough to knockout the beast. I did visit a Place of Power right before I went in the cave so I felt that should compensate for my Aard not being as upgraded as it could have been. In any case, I used a Swallow and a Blizzard and then concentrated on the hellhound, ignoring all the other barghests chewing on my PC. Didn't get the one hit kill but I knocked the hellhound down a couple of times and used strong style instead of fast, per your suggestion and finally made it through.
 andyd
02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Is there any way to edit the save to get the first two trophies in the game? I didn't find out about the other two in the chapter 1 till much later in chapter 2. I definitely won't bother restarting but I hope there is a way to trick the game into thinking that I did earn the trophies
 Darth333
02-07-2008, 3:30 PM
It's a bit of a hassle but it's feasible (I did it to get the werewolf ingredient).

With k-gff can edit the player.utc file in your savegame to add the trophies to your inventory...or if you don't want to bother with editing the savegame (you'll need WitchSav to extract player.utc from your savegame). You can also add them to a container somewhere or in the inventory of another creature to get them later. If you are somewhat familiar with gff files that shouldn't be difficult. If not, I'll try to explain it further.

You'll have to find the item code for the trophies first...it's one of the *.uti files (packed in the bifs). You can search for it with WF v0.4

You can get all the tools you need here: http://mods.starwarsknights.com/tk102/)

Edit: just found out that there is a savegame editor now (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9940.0) but from the description it doesn't seem to handle the player's inventory yet.
 tk102
02-07-2008, 3:53 PM
Edit: just found out that there is a savegame editor now (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9940.0) but from the description it doesn't seem to handle the player's inventory yet.

Good, one less thing for me to do. :D I'm glad someone picked up the documentation and ran with it.
 stoffe
02-08-2008, 7:22 AM
Good, one less thing for me to do. :D I'm glad someone picked up the documentation and ran with it.

But that one is a java application. http://www.jediknightii.net/smiles/smiles/salook.gif)

Java applications are generally a pain to use. But I guess it's better than nothing if you really need savegame editing. :)
 tk102
02-08-2008, 9:49 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. Java is for chumps and I will do whatever I can to avoid touching it. I'd rather go .NET than Java and that's saying something. (Woot, I feel lighter after releasing that nerd rage.)

In a way though, I'm glad savegame editing is still a little difficult to accomplish. It's much easier now than direct GFF editing, but it still requires some user effort and a bit of 1337ness.

It encourages intelligence. :p
 Quanon
02-08-2008, 4:37 PM
Isn't Java seen as C++ for dummys/ idiots ( Something about hiding Constructers in header files ? And Cloning/ Object orienting stuff... )

Though I drowned in C++ when Win32K codes got involved to get a basic engine running... ugh, still have nightmares about that :lol:

Plus on topic : I can't get The Witcher to run, my sytem is to low on power :(

*bugger* I bought the game after screening this thread as you guys liked it so much, I felt positive this game is great to play.

Ow, well games don't "spoil" over time like food does :)

And I've found an other game to play => Overlord ! Yaaarrghhh, forward Minions !
 Pavlos
02-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Source (http://www.rpgcodex.net/index.php#5057)The) Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product. A product that is rarely found on the PC market. Of course, it would be best if the premiere edition could look that way. For different reasons that was not achieved, now we're trying to make up for it. It should be easier for the fact that there aren't that many elements in the game which need improvement. Work is being done on two levels. One concerns the removal of technical obstacles that hinder the player from properly using the game and thus gaining enjoyment from it. By that I mean level loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different configurations, as well as a whole array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat. The other level consists of very important changes that are not usually found in patches. First and foremost, the English language version will be, for the most part, completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions. Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters. The most important improvements concern those elements of the game that the players criticized the most. So for example, over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often. The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved, and some elements of the main game screen will be polished. However, one of the biggest changes that will greatly increase the player's immersion in the game world will be improvements concerning dialogue scenes. Both Geralt and the NPCs will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their "body language" during a conversation much more natural. Additionally, the face animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural as well. Of course, I've mentioned only the most important changes, and that's still a lot. There will be many smaller changes that will make the game more fun. I'm convinced that, thanks to them, The Witcher will be an almost ideal game.

Sounds awesome and it comes at a time when I've decided to pick this game up again and give it a second chance. Despite some, nay a lot of, examples of poor writing - which, it seems, will be fixed - I'm quite enjoying the amount of choice I have throughout the game :).
 Corinthian
02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, reducing the load times would be nice. Now, if only they could make the game not suck.
 Pavlos
02-18-2008, 2:57 PM
This is a nice list (http://www.thewitcher.com/resources/upload/img/news/2008/02/Enhanced%20Edition%20fact%20sheet.pdf). It includes all the stuff that will be in the enhanced edition.

A more full press release:
Source (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10550.msg241831;boardseen#new)CD) Projekt RED is pleased to announce that in May of this year, a completely new and improved version of The Witcher will appear in stores, a game considered by many players as well as the media as the best cRPG of 2007!

Michał Kiciński, CEO of CD Projekt described the idea behind the Enhanced Edition:

"The leading idea during the development of the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher is to create a game that is devoid of all "first-time" problems found in the premiere edition. The Witcher was received very warmly by both the players and the media, but we are well aware that it is not a product without its faults. There was just not enough time to perfect certain elements, while we learned that some things needed to be changed from the players themselves. Now we have the opportunity to introduce changes that will allow The Witcher to provide even more fun. I hope that, as a result, the game will come even closer to the ideal RPG game."

Maciej Szcześnik – Project Manager from CD Projekt RED, spoke about the content provided in the new edition:

"The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product. A product that is rarely found on the PC market. Of course, it would be best if the premiere edition could look that way. For different reasons that was not achieved, now we're trying to make up for it. It should be easier for the fact that there aren't that many elements in the game which need improvement. Work is being done on two levels. One concerns the removal of technical obstacles that hinder the player from properly using the game and thus gaining enjoyment from it. By that I mean level loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different configurations, as well as a whole array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat. The other level consists of very important changes that are not usually found in patches. First and foremost, the English language version will be, for the most part, completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions. Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters. The most important improvements concern those elements of the game that the players criticized the most. So for example, over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often. The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved, and some elements of the main game screen will be polished. However, one of the biggest changes that will greatly increase the player's immersion in the game world will be improvements concerning dialogue scenes. Both Geralt and the NPCs will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their "body language" during a conversation much more natural. Additionally, the face animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural as well. Of course, I've mentioned only the most important changes, and that's still a lot. There will be many smaller changes that will make the game more fun. I'm convinced that, thanks to them, The Witcher will be an almost ideal game."

Adam Kiciński – the head of CD Projekt RED spoke about publishing and the availability of the Enhanced Edition in different parts of the world: "Our goal is to make the Enhanced Edition available to all players all over the world. Of course, in the end, that depends on our publishers with whom we are currently negotiating. I believe that thanks to the interest shown by players, it will be possible to convince publishers worldwide to release the game in conjunction with the premiere in Eastern Europe, that is May 16. This is important because aside from improvements to the game itself, this edition is also to be improved in terms of how it's released, which for the most part depends more on the publishers than us, the authors. For example, aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world. As you can see it is quite an elaborate release and it is important to us that fans all over the world be able to buy this version of the game. Especially considering it will not be more expensive than the standard edition of the game! Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition does not only mean changes in the game's mechanics or better graphics, however. There's also an included mod editor called D'jinni that allows players to create or modify their own adventures in the world of The Witcher, as well as two completely new adventures created by CD Projekt RED. First adventure “The price of neutrality” tells the story of Geralt coming back to Kaer Morhen and finding mysterious camp near stronghold (3 new quests) while second one focus on Dandelion and his troubles in Vyzim City (5 quests)

Edit: Source (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10550.msg242008#msg242008)All) expanded content would be downloadable for people with registered game.

Woo.
 2Cold Scorpio
02-18-2008, 4:36 PM
I'm looking at possibly getting this in the coming months, maybe during the summer game drought and especially if TSLRP isn't out yet. The demo for The Witcher did intrigue me, but I haven't spent much time with it....
 Char Ell
02-18-2008, 9:54 PM
So I guess it's safe to assume that "expanded content would be downloadable for people with registered game" means that it will be downloadable at no additional charge? That is the impression I get but it's not 100% clear to me.

I'm glad to hear CD Projekt RED will be offering further enhancements to The Witcher. I'll definitely check this out when the time comes.
 Lantzen
03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Anyone know when that special edition will come ? Didnt like this game so much i first time i tryed it, but in that new edition they gonan release most of the things i though was annoying is getting fixed So think i will maybe give it a second chance then
Page: 3 of 5