Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"The Witcher" by CD Projekt

Page: 2 of 5
 stoffe
11-09-2007, 1:20 PM
Some limited scripting could be available I suppose using the KotOR nwscript.nss and nwnnsscomp. Haven't tried anything yet though.

If they are going to release their development toolset then it would most likely contain a script compiler and hopefully the relevant nwscript.nss file. Without that one it's pretty hard to accomplish much. Remains to see when they release the tools though. :)
 tk102
11-09-2007, 1:38 PM
Yes, that is true. I am pretending that no such toolset will ever exist because it increases the excitement of modding. :)
 Arбtoeldar
11-10-2007, 8:49 AM
Bewitched by The Witcher (http://www.polskieradio.pl/zagranica/gb/dokument.aspx?iid=65509)

If these are actual sales figures and not shipped units. Very impressive.
 tk102
11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
As PC platform purist, I love seeing this:For example is the second best-selling game in Germany. It is only a PC and it is able to compete with games selling on different platforms, like consoles and play stations. We are in the first ten or even five best selling games in Great Britain and in all countries in Europe and America. In Poland, our success it is unbelievable, because in the first three days we sold more copies than some titles sell in ten years.
However, as one of the devs from CD Projekt pointed out (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=4517.msg164939#msg164939), the true sales numbers have not been made public and the opening statement The Witcher, the most awaited Polish computer role playing game, has premiered around the world in 100,000 copies in Poland and a million abroad, in 8 language versions. does indeed refer to units shipped, not sold.

And just tie back into Star Wars, note at the very end of the article the name of the band you did the opening music. :p
 Lance Monance
11-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Reading these comments I get the impression that the Witcher is a very good game. Can anyone "rate" it for me? How does it compare to Kotor and Kotor II? Is it recommendable?
 Wookiee Rrudolf
11-11-2007, 1:05 PM
Reading these comments I get the impression that the Witcher is a very good game. Can anyone "rate" it for me? How does it compare to Kotor and Kotor II? Is it recommendable?
I wanted to play KOTOR and KOTOR II once more, but since I have 'The Witcher' (and newer graphic card :D) I moved my next KOTOR playthrough for some time. 'The Witcher' is like vacuum - it will suck you to your computer ;)
In my opinion one of the best cRPG ever: 9,5/10 (-0,5 becouse of quite long loading times).
 Pavlos
11-11-2007, 2:15 PM
I'm really not that impressed, to be honest. Admittedly, I'm only up to the first town and judging a game by its opening is never a good idea. Between the bad voice direction and a (in my opinion) gimped dialogue system it seems to be a very average game.

But, as I said, it's really too early for me to tell but right now the only vacuum effect is that it has no soul to it. :xp:
 tk102
11-11-2007, 2:20 PM
I find this to be an excellent game. It's quite different from KotOR and it's easy to forget they're using the same game engine. It doesn't have the Star Wars background or theme music to draw "soul" from, but it sets its own tone. Chapter 2 is when things start picking up IMO.

One thing I noticed is that even after getting rewarded for a quest, I find myself poor again and again. Not dirt poor, but there are always items that are just out reach of my pocketbook. This keeps me motivated to complete other sidequests, which in turn helps solidify the role of Geralt as a Witcher -- a monster bounty hunter.
 Aash Li
11-11-2007, 6:18 PM
Is this the game where its after some huge war, and the humans run around purging the elves and dwarves and whatnot because they think that they were the cause of the war or whatever?
 Darth333
11-12-2007, 4:18 PM
Well I've been playing until the end of chapter 2 and I am truly enjoying the game. For once, you don't have to choose between the obvious good but naive option or the stupid evil answer. No more lunch credit stealing! Instead, you get to chose between various shades of gray...sometimes you think you make the right choice but you learn the truth much later so you have to live with your decisions. Note that some Npcs have more than one quest or more info so once you finish a quest it might be worth to talk to them again. Chapter 2 was really good.

For the voice direction, I've read bad things about the English version so I decided to install the french version (from France) but I didn't like the voices. I just reinstalled the French version made in Quebecand I must say that I've been surprised by the quality of the voice acting.

I also like the fact that gold has some use and you have to work for it. Some quests require you to pay certain amounts of gold but merchants actually sell useful items that you won't necessarily find in the gameworld, mostly armor, weapons and books. Books are most useful so don't neglect them: they help you understand the environment (and collect precious ingredients from plants - some potions are really useful) and tell you about various creature's vulnerabilities (so you don't end up dying 20 times trying to find out how to kill a stupid plant :fist: ).

Note however, that this is a mature game. Sex and gore are omnipresent so if you are easily offended this game might not be for you.
 Aash Li
11-12-2007, 5:52 PM
Sex in the game? Just the way I like it, pixelated and safe! lol (joking of course).
 stingerhs
11-12-2007, 6:04 PM
if there wasn't already 20+ games coming out over the next two weeks, i'd definitely pick this up. i've read enough about this game to be very interested in it, but i have Crysis, Mass Effect, Unreal 3, Kane & Lynch, Call of Duty 4, and World in Conflict to play through first.

needless to say, i have to ask if this game is available via online download. i checked Gamestop today, and they had all of one copy on hand. just in case i can't get a copy at the store, is there a way i can download it (legally, of course)??
 Det. Bart Lasiter
11-12-2007, 6:19 PM
Yep. Atari has it available on their site. Make sure to back it up though, they only make it available to you for a short time (unless you pay extra) since Atari has a customer-****ing fetish. Another downside is that it's a lot slower than something like Direct2Drive (1 Mb/s+ on D2D, 800 Kb/s on Atari).
 stingerhs
11-12-2007, 6:51 PM
thanks, jmac. and bandwidth really isn't much of an issue since i'm stuck with a 200KB/s DSL connection. i'll have to check that out in about two weeks when i get my next paycheck. :)
 tk102
11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Is this the game where its after some huge war, and the humans run around purging the elves and dwarves and whatnot because they think that they were the cause of the war or whatever?

Yes Aash Li. I found a video that describes the time period just prior to the game's setting.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K0L73ERMw)
 Aash Li
11-13-2007, 9:44 AM
Wonder if youre forced to play a male chara... it does sound interesting, and looks good.
 tk102
11-13-2007, 9:48 AM
Yes, you are Geralt the (male) Witcher. *
 Darth333
11-13-2007, 2:38 PM
Oh btw, there is one "monster" I am unable to beat:
Is there an easy way to get passed Shani's grandma other than getting lucky with her random dialog and catching her in a good mood? The old hag is getting on my nerves! :firemad: She asks for golden gloves...of course I don't have them so she kicks me out of the house...I spend all what is left of my money to buy the damn gloves and when I come back they are no longer good enough for her and she kicks me out again...I re-enter and she dares to ask me money for the rent! I have no money left so she threw me out again...I take a single beer, enter the house one more time and now she complains that I am drunk and it's back to the street! She is the most annoying granny ever! :firemad:
 tk102
11-13-2007, 3:10 PM
Oh btw, there is one "monster" I am unable to beat:
Really?
I paid her Shani's rent right at the beginning and she always calls me precious and tells me to go upstairs. The only time she kicked me out was when I stumbled in with roses for Shani, still drunk from the party...

Funny voice acting during that exchange:

"Eh! Oh you're drunk!"
*stumbling* "Not truuuuueee...."
 Darth333
11-13-2007, 3:16 PM
Really?
I paid her Shani's rent right at the beginning and she always calls me precious and tells me to go upstairs. The only time she kicked me out was when I stumbled in with roses for Shani, still drunk from the party...

Funny voice acting during that exchange:

"Eh! Oh you're drunk!"
*stumbling* "Not truuuuueee...."

lolz
well I didn't had money left when she asked me to pay..only 3-4 Orins after buying the damn gloves so I told her to get lost (I was angry that she didn't wanted gloves anymore...she told me "Are you crazy?" when I tried to give them to her) and that option didn't show up again :(
So now she hates me and I have to wait until she's in a good mood or until I have the option to tell her that I've been sent by the hospital. She and Vincent are the two npcs I managed to piss off for good I guess. Vincent tells me that if I say one more word to him, he'll send me back to jail lol
 tk102
11-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Patch 1.2 is scheduled (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=5326.0) to be released before Christmas. This patch is expected to speed up the load times between areas and provide the ability to disable the autosave.

A couple days ago I started attempting savegame editing on this game but alas, changes to the player.utc get overwritten by the game's data from elsewhere. There are a couple .sav files within the .TheWitcherSave file format that are indiscernible and I suspect these are doing the rewriting. :(
 stoffe
11-15-2007, 11:24 AM
A couple days ago I started attempting savegame editing on this game but alas, changes to the player.utc get overwritten by the game's data from elsewhere. There are a couple .sav files within the .TheWitcherSave file format that are indiscernible and I suspect these are doing the rewriting. :(

The Witcher may be doing things differently, but in Neverwinter Nights at least the player data was stored in the PlayerList field in the module.ifo file of the module they were in when the game was saved, IIRC.
 tk102
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
in Neverwinter Nights at least the player data was stored in the PlayerList field in the module.ifoAlso with KotOR. The .sav files probably do contain the .are, .ifo, .git files within them since they're the largest (~3M) files within the .TheWitcherSave file. Unfortunately the .sav file is either compressed or obfuscated. I cannot find any strings or dwords within it that are recognizable.
 stoffe
11-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Also with KotOR. The .sav files probably do contain the .are, .ifo, .git files within them since they're the largest (~9M) files within the .TheWitcherSave file. Unfortunately the .sav file is either compressed or obfuscated. I cannot find any strings or dwords within it that are recognizable.

That would make sense, given how extremely bloated the GFF format becomes when it needs to store large amounts of data like instance info of all objects in several areas in the game world. NWN2 started compressing some of the save game data as well, and its saves are still huge when you get well into the game. :)

Have you tried standard zlib or zip compression?
 tk102
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
LOL. I just changed the .sav extension to .zip and voila. The .zip contained a .sav file within it. I extracted it and its signature is MOD V1.0. I used ERFEdit to then extract the .are, .git, .ifo, .ncs, and even some .nss and .ndb files (ha ha ha).

The thing is I was going to do this, but talked myself out of it or something after being convinced it was obfuscated. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me stoffe because who knows how long that would've taken me. :p

Edit: WitchSav has been upgraded from an extractor to an extractor/repacker. If you have KGFF and WitchSav in the same directory, you can extract the player.utc from the savegame and then launch KGFF from WitchSav. When you're done editing (and saved the changes to the .utc), you can repack the savegame and see the changes.
 oldflash
11-19-2007, 9:10 AM
A small question: in kotor/tsl there is a .2da file which set when autosave should be made. I have try to extract all files from .bif and search for something like that but my HDD got full in short time. :(
Is anyone who knows if such a file exist for witcher? - I really want to skip autosave sice I've run a medium-low performances computer.
Thanks
 tk102
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
A small question: in kotor/tsl there is a .2da file which set when autosave should be made. I have try to extract all files from .bif and search for something like that but my HDD got full in short time. :(
Is anyone who knows if such a file exist for witcher? - I really want to skip autosave sice I've run a medium-low performances computer.
Thanks

I couldn't find one oldflash. By the way, if you are using BifRip, you can copy your main.key and just your 2da00.bif to another folder and point BifRip at that copy -- then only 2da00.bif will get extracted and all else will be skipped.
 Darth333
11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I heard that the next patch should include an option to turn-off auto save. I can't find the link now.
here: link (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2782.msg154140#msg154140) and post #71 above ~tk

It seems that the devs wanted to avoid the usual "OMG! My save game is corrupt and I have no other save" issue so they went to the other extreme and made an autosave feature that creates a new save game each time.
 tk102
11-19-2007, 5:04 PM
A small question: in kotor/tsl there is a .2da file which set when autosave should be made.

Something that was posted today: link (http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=5733.0)
-make player.ini file in the witcher/system directory
-add following lines to the file :
[Server Options]
Disable AutoSave=1

However, caution:
it does disable the autosave, but it seems to cause Geralt to freeze after exiting some areas.
 oldflash
11-20-2007, 2:29 AM
Thanks for valuable info.
About bif extractor... why I didn't think to that? Maybe I'm getting old and stupid or just stupid. :D Thanks for tip.
I will also wait for patch (which was suppose to be release in december) and until then maybe I can get the best patch ever: a new PC. Also, I'm a little afraid about what will cut from game with the new patch - the last one was remove the decapitate animation.
 True_Avery
11-20-2007, 3:06 AM
Beat the game my first time through a few days ago on the neutrality ending and I must say, this is on hell of a good game. After playing this battle system, I am afraid it will be very hard to go back to the D&D click and sit back routine that seems to exist in most modern day rpgs.

The voice acting was ok to my standards. I could tell a lot of the parts were forced or done badly, but usually a better voice pops up a second later to take away the bad taste.

The morality system lived up to its name. The decisions are gray gray gray, and I had a lot of fun considering what each one was eventually going to do. Most fun I have had with a dialog system in a long time.

I loved the potion system. Simply, fun, and it actually makes you work to get the potions you want and need. Unlike some games were you can jump through the game with nothing but Health Potions, Witcher requires you to use different combnations to survive, or you'll just end up being lunch in your 20 attempts to kill a monster.

Going to play mass effect, then play through the game again doing the exact oposite of what I did to see how different the game is. Must... seduce... Shani...

I think this game deserves its all around 8.5/10 rating, but I'll be nice and give this game a 9/10 for a wonderful first game by CD Project RED. Keep going guys!

Now to wait for the books to be translated to English...
 mur'phon
11-22-2007, 6:08 AM
Damn you true, I really can't aford a new game right now, but a world of gray decisions is to hard to resist.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
11-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Going to play mass effect, then play through the game again doing the exact oposite of what I did to see how different the game is. Must... seduce... Shani...Yeah but that leads to a lot of boring quests in Act III. Alvin bitches about wanting candy. However, just being able to go and buy it somewhere, you have to break into people's houses where it will randomly appear. Maybe. Also if you don't get him candy Shani bitches about you not wasting hours on getting him candy.
 Darth333
11-22-2007, 2:05 PM
The same happens if you bring Alvin to Triss and you don't need to break into houses to get candy: you can buy some at the taverns (sugardolls count as candy too). However it doesn't matter much if you don't have candy as each time you enter the house Alvin has a random request and most of them don't require you to do anything apart chosing the right answer.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
11-22-2007, 5:48 PM
The same happens if you bring Alvin to Triss and you don't need to break into houses to get candy: you can buy some at the taverns (sugardolls count as candy too). However it doesn't matter much if you don't have candy as each time you enter the house Alvin has a random request and most of them don't require you to do anything apart chosing the right answer. I never got that quest when I gave him to Triss. He just said random things every time I spoke to him. "I want a dog", etc, etc. I just told him I'd get him one later and he shut up about it.
 Gargoyle King
11-22-2007, 5:51 PM
Just completed TES IV: Oblivion. How does this fare compared to it, i was a little dissappointed with Oblivion's main quest (I wanted to fight Mehrunes Dagon!! :( :lol: ) and am looking to play something a little more epic and challenging.
 Darth333
11-23-2007, 10:22 AM
The Witcher and Oblivion are two very different games and have very little in common. Everything is managed differently: the maps (in the Witcher, you don't have that huge piece of land where you can run around endlessly admiring the landscape), the skill system, inventory management (you can't run around with 20 weapons and hundreds of potions in your inventory), the alchemy system, the interaction with npcs is more personalized, etc.

In The Witcher you necessarily play as Geralt, a mutant monster killer and womanizer with greasy white hair (you can't choose the appearance - I hope my description didn't scare you either as I'm having a lot of fun playing as Geralt :p) but giving an identity to the PC has advantages as well: a good and well developped story driven rpg, interesting plot twists, npcs with personality that refer to your past and your physical appearance. I imagine that mini quests like the party and the sort of "bachelor" party you get at some point are funnier with a pc that has an identity - it's amazing to see the work that went into those little details. The quests are varied and it's not just "go to that cave at the other end of the world, kill a few bandits and come back get your prize".

What I like the most in the Witcher is that your choices actually matter (not like in Oblivion where no one cares about what you do) and influence the story as well as the npc reactions and the options that become available to you. The choices that you have to do are difficult (it's gray #1, gray #2 and gray #3) and the border between good and evil is far from being clear.

The fighting system is also a lot of fun once you get the hang of it (I definitely recommend the Over the Shoulder view as it is more immersive). Some fights can be pretty challenging and require some planning. Potions are a necessity (unless you play on easy) but you also have to be careful about what you take: too many potions can affect Geralt negatively.
 Achilles
11-24-2007, 4:57 AM
^^^^
What she said.

This is one of the few games where I've actually had to sit there hemming and hawing over a dialog choice...for several minutes.

FWIW, over-the-shoulder makes me mildly nauseas, but low isometric might be very comfortable for those that enjoyed NWN2.

PS: Awesome music!
 Gargoyle King
11-24-2007, 2:31 PM
@ Darth333: Thanks for the info, it's good it's not like Oblivion as i really don't want to play another Oblivion having played it for around 150 Hours. Geralt's appearance sounds pretty cool, i love characters with slick White hair, it has a kinda cool appeal to it. I've seen pictures of Geralt with that scar aswell, looks like a real tough cookie. It's good your actions have a bigger toll on the game than they did in Oblivion. I really hated the fact that no matter what i did, the Imperial Legion in the Imperial City called me "Scum" even though i was the Arena Champion and saved their butts from Mehrunes Dagon; jeez gratitude eh! :thumbsup:

I'll have to play this once i get the chance then, it does sound like a real gem! :)
 SpaceAlex
11-25-2007, 1:49 AM
This is one of the few games where I've actually had to sit there hemming and hawing over a dialog choice...for several minutes.

PS: Awesome music!

Yup, same here. Even in the tutorial you are forced to choose between two sides, and there is no right or wrong side. Ofcourse, you don't always have to choose a side. You can just say "screw them all" and side with nobody. Anyway, the decision that you have to make in the tutorial will come with little consequences, but later in the game you are presented with some really tough decisions that effect how some poeple react to your presence and how the game will end.

And yes, the music is awesome (especially the main menu track).

Also, the ending... i was really shocked when i figured out who the Grandmaster really is. ;)
 Achilles
11-26-2007, 3:36 PM
And yes, the music is awesome (especially the main menu track). Yeah, the first time I fired it up, I thought to myself: "Oh, this game is going to ****ing rock!"

Makes me wonder what other European games need to be published over here.

Also, the ending... i was really shocked when i figured out who the Grandmaster really is. ;)I'm not going to lie to you, I was floored when I realized what I had just done. All-in-all though, I have to wonder if that particular twist didn't introduce more problems than it solved. I mean you do realize that Alvin arranged for his own abduction.
I'm playing through again with this additional information to see if maybe it makes a little more sense to me the 2nd time around.
 SpaceAlex
11-26-2007, 7:06 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, I was floored when I realized what I had just done. All-in-all though, I have to wonder if that particular twist didn't introduce more problems than it solved. I mean you do realize that Alvin arranged for his own abduction.

I can understand the confusion. It took me quite a while to figure this one out. The way i see it, the Grandmaster (aka old Alvin) HAD to arrange for his own abduction, because he had to make sure that his younger body will travel back in time. He obviously already knew that the Salamandra will never succeed in abducting young Alvin. His goal was merely to make his younger self scared enough to use his magical abilities to travel back in time. To achive that, he had to make sure that everything transpired the same way as he remembers.

That's what i think anyway. The developers might prove me wrong in the next Witcher game, but this explanation will do for now. :D
 Aeroldoth
11-26-2007, 8:02 PM
I have a question, what about gay content?

While I really like the idea of a game where morality isn't trivialized into black and white, AND that there are actual consequences to your choices, I am rather tired of games where I HAVE to play a hetero white male.

You guys mention nudity... just female nudity? Any male nudity, or chances for male romance?

What about replayability? Is the only variance basically dialogue path A vs dialogue path B?

EDIT: Thanks for the response Achilles; looks like I will be passing on this one. Oh well.
 Achilles
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I can understand the confusion. It took me quite a while to figure this one out. The way i see it, the Grandmaster (aka old Alvin) HAD to arrange for his own abduction, because he had to make sure that his younger body will travel back in time. He obviously already knew that the Salamandra will never succeed in abducting young Alvin. His goal was merely to make his younger self scared enough to use his magical abilities to travel back in time. To achive that, he had to make sure that everything transpired the same way as he remembers.

That's what i think anyway. The developers might prove me wrong in the next Witcher game, but this explanation will do for now. :D That certainly is an easy conclusion to jump to. Unfortunately, that particular explanation seems weak (the explanation itself, not your sharing of it) for reasons that are inherent to that specific plot device. IMO, they should have looked for something other than time/space travel. Luckily, there are enough other things that the devs did particularly well to keep me interested.

I have a question, what about gay content? Isn't any.

While I really like the idea of a game where morality isn't trivialized into black and white, AND that there are actual consequences to your choices, I am rather tired of games where I HAVE to play a hetero white male. Might want to avoid this one then. FWIW though, he's a sterile mutant. That might make it at least a little different for you.

You guys mention nudity... just female nudity? Any male nudity, or chances for male romance?Yes. Kinda (one of the generic thugs isn't wearing a shirt). No.

What about replayability? Is the only variance basically dialogue path A vs dialogue path B?Well, just started my 2nd playthough, but the rumor is that there is a lot of replay value. It seems that much of the last few chapters is largely alterable based on decisions made earlier in the game. What that means, precisely, I'm not sure yet.

I hope that helps.
 SpaceAlex
11-27-2007, 2:17 AM
That certainly is an easy conclusion to jump to. Unfortunately, that particular explanation seems weak (the explanation itself, not your sharing of it) for reasons that are inherent to that specific plot device. IMO, they should have looked for something other than time/space travel.

I guess i'm just easily pleased :D It gave me greather insight on how time travel would work, if nothing else. There were some side effects to this discovery, though... i now can't watch Back to the Future movies anymore because i've come to a conclusion that they make no sense at all. :D

EDIT: sorry about the spoiler...i have no exuse. :blast5:
 Achilles
11-27-2007, 5:34 AM
^^^^
Nice spoiler. ;)

Yes, and FWIW, anything that has to deal with time travel is going to be problematic. At least with bad sci-fi they make some attempt to help you suspend your disbelief, but with this one, they kinda just threw it out there and let it lie.

Same thing with King of the Hunt. They never satisfactorily developed that whole thing, which I would have been ok with had they given me some pieces to put together on my own, but no - the "guy" shows up three times in the whole game and doesn't say much of consequence (first time he mocks you, the second he makes a cameo for a fight, and the third...well, you know).

Also, I haven't played the Shani romance yet, but if it's as lackluster as the Triss thread, I'm going to be a little disappointed Hi, I'm Triss. Let's have sex. I'll meet up with you half way through the game so that we can have sex again and I can ask you for a ring. Then I'm going to maintain an extremely tenuous presence in the story for a little while before I disappear again until the last few minutes of the game :D

Like I said, there's a list of things that this game did well. I'm hopeful that my second time through will help resolve some of the concerns that I have about the story.
 SpaceAlex
11-27-2007, 8:15 PM
Yes, and FWIW, anything that has to deal with time travel is going to be problematic. At least with bad sci-fi they make some attempt to help you suspend your disbelief, but with this one, they kinda just threw it out there and let it lie.

Well, what i find troubling is that the game doesn't really give you a clear answer as to what happened to Alvin. Geralt never really figures out that the Grandmaster is Alvin, so perhaps the whole story will be revealed in the next Witcher game. That, or the devs wanted us to figure out the connection between Alvin and the Grandmaster by ourselves. There certainly are a whole lot of clues that suggest that Alvin is the Grandmaster, so it's no wonder that we jumped to this conclusion. Only the devs know if this is really what they had in mind, though. Perhaps they just wanted people to come to some sort of conclusion, in case the game wouldn't sell well and they would be unable to make another... who knows?

Same thing with King of the Hunt. They never satisfactorily developed that whole thing, which I would have been ok with had they given me some pieces to put together on my own, but no - the "guy" shows up three times in the whole game and doesn't say much of consequence (first time he mocks you, the second he makes a cameo for a fight, and the third...well, you know).

I'll admit that i was a bit surprised that the King has appeared only three times in the whole game. The first time he shows up, he makes it sound like he'll be sending wraiths (of the people that Geralt kills throughout the game) after you the whole time. Instead, there are only two real encounters with him in the whole game.

Also, I haven't played the Shani romance yet, but if it's as lackluster as the Triss thread, I'm going to be a little disappointed Hi, I'm Triss. Let's have sex. I'll meet up with you half way through the game so that we can have sex again and I can ask you for a ring. Then I'm going to maintain an extremely tenuous presence in the story for a little while before I disappear again until the last few minutes of the game :D

I've romanced Triss aswell and was disappointed too, but for different reasons (i don't like that the game ends without telling you what has happened to Triss).
 Achilles
11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, what i find troubling is that the game doesn't really give you a clear answer as to what happened to Alvin. Geralt never really figures out that the Grandmaster is Alvin, so perhaps the whole story will be revealed in the next Witcher game. That, or the devs wanted us to figure out the connection between Alvin and the Grandmaster by ourselves. There certainly are a whole lot of clues that suggest that Alvin is the Grandmaster, so it's no wonder that we jumped to this conclusion. Only the devs know if this is really what they had in mind, though. Perhaps they just wanted people to come to some sort of conclusion, in case the game wouldn't sell well and they would be unable to make another... who knows?Hmmm, not sure where we missed each other here. I think it's pretty obvious who the Grandmaster is - I don't recall bringing that into question. My contention is how they orchestrated (or failed to) that particular bit of info. Why did event unfold the way that they did if we know that they could have unfolded in a myriad of other ways that never would have involved the protagonist (Geralt) in the first place. Almost makes the story...unnecessary.

I'll admit that i was a bit surprised that the King has appeared only three times in the whole game. The first time he shows up, he makes it sound like he'll be sending wraiths (of the people that Geralt kills throughout the game) after you the whole time. Instead, there are only two real encounters with him in the whole game. Yep, we both counted three.

I've romanced Triss aswell and was disappointed too, but for different reasons (i don't like that the game ends without telling you what has happened to Triss). IIRC, they kinda left that up to you via a dialog option with Dandelion just before the final (totally kick ass!) cutscene.
 SpaceAlex
11-28-2007, 9:28 AM
Hmmm, not sure where we missed each other here. I think it's pretty obvious who the Grandmaster is - I don't recall bringing that into question.

Yeah, it's obvious, but i'm still a bit surprised that Geralt never acknowledges that fact. Oh well, i guess the devs wanted it that way. It's just too bad it makes Gerlat look like someone with low insight.

IIRC, they kinda left that up to you via a dialog option with Dandelion just before the final (totally kick ass!) cutscene.

Oh? I don't recall seeing a dialogue option regarding Triss. Perhaps i've missed it.
 Achilles
11-28-2007, 7:38 PM
Yeah, it's obvious, but i'm still a bit surprised that Geralt never acknowledges that fact. Oh well, i guess the devs wanted it that way. It's just too bad it makes Gerlat look like someone with low insight. I had assumed that they didn't want to insult our intelligence by spoon-feeding it to us.

Oh? I don't recall seeing a dialogue option regarding Triss. Perhaps i've missed it.IIRC, it was something like, "Oh, come on. You know you love her" followed by a few dialog choices. It may have only been unlocked via another dialog choice or something though. Who knows?
Page: 2 of 5