Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why wont it snow!?!!?!!

Page: 1 of 1
 glovemaster
02-09-2007, 2:21 PM
I recently decided that Tatooine is boring and wanted to reskin it... completely.
I thought about having sand storms and hurricanes, tornados, etc. But then i decided to make change it to Hoth. I've reskinned everything to snowy and white. BUT THE SAND WONT CHANGE COLOUR!!!
Thats only my first problem...
The second is of course, making it actually snow. I thought that just by changing the ARE file to "Chance of snow: 100" (assuming that it uses percentages)
That didnt work...
thirdly is that the sun, is too bright of Hoth and im not quite sure how the "Sun fog colour, etc." actually works. I think that "Sun fog colour" requires a hex code?

Please help!
 Rasmoroth
02-09-2007, 5:53 PM
ooooooooo, i like snowy worlds, wondered why there wasnt a hoth on KotOR 1

Also, I saw a pic of a snowy dantooine once with snow on the ground so I know its plausible
 SithRevan
02-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Ok for your first question I can only think of one thing... you either did not reskin the right texture for the sand or you didn't reskin the texture for it at all. So just to give you a little insight on where it is here is where you can find it...

Kotor I-> ERFs-> TexturePacks-> swpc_tex_tpa.erf-> L-> LTA_sand01 and LTA_sand02

So hopefully that will take care of that problem.;)

Now about you second question... that one was a little tougher to figure out and I still don't know if I have yet but it looks like what you need to do is put "ChanceSnow" to 100 like you did and that will start the snow up automatically. Now there is another part to that though, Kotor 1 as we all might know did not really have any weather effects that were actually taking place in the game so the .are files are not really set up for it. You can set them up for it however by adding a couple lines in specific places. Here is what you will need to do to get it working...

First find the "rooms" list in the .are file then open it. It should have a long or semi-long list of all of the room models in that area with thier own individule structs. Now you need to open the first struct and it should look some what like this...

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5974/image6ss8.th.jpg) (http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image6ss8.jpg)

That is where we run into the little problem I was talking about earlier. As you can see it does not have a "DisableWeather" entry which (I am pretty sure) is a key point in getting this sort of thing to work. So what you need to do is right click on the "Struct ID" line and add in a new "Byte" entry then change it's name from "New Byte" to "DisableWeather" and set it to 0 if it is not already at 0. Then you will need to repeat that on every room for that area and all other areas that you want to do that to. So that will most likely fix that problem.;)

Now for your third and final problem, the "SunFogColor" parameter. That is most likely the easiest of all of them to figure out. What you need to do is this. Change these following entries in the .are file...

SunAmbientColor: 2826240

SunDiffuseColor: 7740

SunFogColor: 3550499

SunFogFar: 66

SunFogNear: 0

SunFogOn: 1

That should give you the dark; more dank look you are going for.

Hope this helps.:D
 Pavlos
02-10-2007, 4:58 AM
I'm fairly sure that KotOR I does not support any weather effects at all. This was one of the things Obsidian liked to show off in all their videos - which would point towards it being theirs.
 Darth InSidious
02-10-2007, 9:19 AM
There aren't any textures for snow, IIRC...

If you could examine the one for K2 and create something similar (Note: Do NOT simply copy it across), that might be a solution in conjunction with SithRevan's above post...I'd go for a fuzzy-edged brush, and an alpha'd background...
 glovemaster
02-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Thank You!
Im just about to test it, I'll post what happens...
(Hope it works)

Also...

I saw a snow pic of dantooine

That was probably the "reign of the sith" mod, i can't remember who made it, just google it.

Edit: Ive done all of that now and it still isnt snowing... But the sun fog stuff all works, but for some reason the sand on the dune sea, sand peoples ter. and eastern dunes doesnt change.
Any more ideas?

Edit 2: would it be possible to make it snow using scripts?
 Rasmoroth
02-11-2007, 1:26 PM
A. it might not work at those areas you just mentioned cus they are different areas, hence different files? (soz, i really dont know, im jut trying to come up with a logical solution)

B. Dont double post, edit your post.

C. I'll look for the reign of the sith mod, i really want a snowy dantooine ^^
 glovemaster
02-12-2007, 4:46 AM
I think the reign of the sith mod edits the sand on dantooine to a more... intense red. Look at this screen shot:

http://cmgsccc0.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/geonosis1.gif)

If i can find out what file that is, i could change it to a white, snowy texture.
Just a note: The reign of the sith mod also changes tatooine to sleheyron, taris to coruscant, dantooine to corellia and kashyyyk to endor. Also problems with characters such as: Vandar is very hairy... lol

http://cmgsccc0.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ewok.gif)

Its still a great mod though...
 glovemaster
02-13-2007, 6:09 AM
If i set "always night" to 1 in the ARE file, will effects from the sun eg. light on the sand (which is affecting the colour...) be removed? or is that another effect that KotOR doesnt have?
Also, Would it be possible to transfer weather effects from KotOR II to KotOR I?
The problem is that i don't have KotOR II for PC...
 Master Zionosis
02-13-2007, 7:15 AM
@glovemaster, do you have the reign of the sith mod, as i have been looking for this everywhere and i cant find it, please could you PM me if you do, thanks. :)
 glovemaster
02-13-2007, 8:09 AM
Okay i'll email you. btw i've only just realized your also workin on a Hoth mod, exept u got a much bigger team and urs is for KotOR II... lol
 Cookie1456
02-13-2007, 5:40 PM
glovemaster,
I think LTA_sand01.tga and LTA_sand02.tga are the wrong files for the sand in tatooine as I can re-texture other textures with no problem. This is my first time re-texturing for level textures, I opened LEH_bike.tga (swoop bike in ebon hawk) and showed up on first try http://i13.tinypic.com/29f4le9.jpg)
 glovemaster
02-14-2007, 3:56 AM
Well, i basically took a load of LTA_***** textures and recoloured them all and I have managed to change the sand colour, but the sun is just too bright!
Because on tatooine, there is too suns, they made the light 2x brighter! Is there anyway to get rid of it? At the moment it is completly ruining the modules! I'll send a screenshot as soon as i can.
 Cookie1456
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah I want to see the snowy tatooine, that be cool.

Btw, what textures did you re-texture?
 glovemaster
02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
The textures were:
LTA_cli01
LTA_cli02
LTA_cli03
LTA_cliff01
LTA_clitran
LTA_flr01
LTA_flr01a
LTA_flr01h
LTA_flr02
LTA_flr09
LTA_mgsky01
LTA_mgsky02
LTA_mgsky03
LTA_mgsky04
LTA_path02
LTA_rock01a
LTA_rock02
LTA_rock02a
LTA_rock03
LTA_rock04
LTA_rok02
LTA_rok03
LTA_rokform
LTA_rokform03
LTA_sand01
LTA_sand02
LTA_sky0001
LTA_sky0002
LTA_sky0003
LTA_sky0004

The texture like "LTA_sky0001" oviously arn't the sand but i reskinned them anyway, as i am changing the whole planet.

I now have screenshots of whats happened:

tat_m17aa (http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7281/screen1ce8.jpg)
tat_m18aa (http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4661/screen2vp5.jpg)
tat_m17aa (http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen3ut1.jpg)
 Cookie1456
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
thats cool, about the sun didnt you already fog it up? I thought you said something like that up top.

EDIT:
Got the same results as you. I think it is the sun glare that makes it not white.
 glovemaster
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
So do you recon this will work? (Your gonna need to correct me)

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8748/sunglarefz3.jpg)

(Edit)
I've just tested "SunGlareOn [BYTE] = 0" and it didnt work
 Cookie1456
02-14-2007, 2:50 PM
I tried it and I have to reinstall Kotor so I get back to you when I get it fixed
 glovemaster
02-16-2007, 6:15 AM
I've looked through the other module files, the IFO and the GIT files but i haven't found anything that looks like it will change the sun glare. I'll keep looking though...
I have noticed that there is a "Start(Hour/Month/Year)", if i changed these so that its dusk (End of the day) do you think that it will alter the sun glare? I'll have a look at Kashyyyk's ARE,GIT and IFO files to see how those differ.
 glovemaster
02-20-2007, 2:06 PM
I've replaced all the values to the ones like kashyyyk and all its done is made it slightly darker... I need to get rid of the sunglare!!! Any more suggestions?
 Fiestainabox
02-20-2007, 10:05 PM
The snow effects you see in .git files are left over from Neverwinter Nights, I've asked about this before and its been concluded that it reallys isn't plasuable to get weather effects into the game. Also, stuff like the time of day, and day and night transitions are leftovers, the won't work. (That I know of, I'm not some awsome texturer...)

The Same also happened with TSL.

I've played with TSL day/night transitions and theve only made the textures extremly messed up.

As for the sunglare, look for the texture itself, as in, the texture for the sunglare, try and make it transparent. I'm not sure though, if it will effect EVERY sunglare in the game, or the ones on Tattoine.
 glovemaster
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Thats a good idea until you consider that theres probably hundreds of textures for tatooine and thats assuming it begins with LTA, i'll have a good look though...

Help is very much appreciated... lol
 Master Zionosis
02-21-2007, 1:30 PM
The Same also happened with TSL.

I've played with TSL day/night transitions and theve only made the textures extremly messed up.

Not true, I've done this for a module i made for my hoth mod to make it slightly less "bright" and that worked perfectly.
 glovemaster
02-22-2007, 12:21 PM
wondered why there wasnt a hoth on KotOR 1
Probably because theres nothing on Hoth, but u stick a Star Map on it and suddenly its great! lol (btw, i read that ages ago and i only replyed to it now because im not annoyed with the mod.. lol)

Still looking for the texture... Can any look with me??? lol
Page: 1 of 1