Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

mdlops body mesh help!

Page: 1 of 1
 SithRevan
09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
I am having trouble compiling an exported body mesh model with mdlops, but before I do try to compile it in mdlops I get and error from nwmax that says I have at least one skin in the body mesh model and I cannot use the "Export all selected" function to do it. So if somebody knows how to get around this or how to fix it I would really appreciate it if you could help me, Thanks!:D

P.S.:Also what I am trying to do is change the uvmap the the model uses, so I don't know if that will help in answering my question but I just though I would bring it upo so you guys knew all of the details.
 Kha
09-10-2006, 10:02 AM
To export the model you need select the Aurora base, that big square under the model and in the rollout in the right chose a different folder from your original files, otherwise it will overwrite them, and then press the export geometry button.
 SithRevan
09-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah I know I did that successfully but when I try to compile it in mdlops it gives me an error.
 HouseOfAmon
09-10-2006, 6:17 PM
Thats because you need to rename the model from say "PMBJ.mdl/mdx"
to "PMBJ C.mdx/mdl" then put the original files in the same folder and then compile your model...

Just add a number or letter to the name, but make sure the mdx, and mdl match on your modified model...

Original Model = PMBJ.mdx PMBJ.mdl
Modified Model = PMBJ 1.mdx PMBJ 1.mdl

Then it should compile.. It will make some new files like PMBJ 1.Ascii.Bin.mdx, and PMBJ 1.Ascii.Bin.mdl.. Those are what you want, then you rename them to the original files name and it is now game ready..

Notes...

The following assumes you are working in one directory like I do, I keep originals in one folder(backup), and my modified stuff right on the desktop, so anytime I export, in any way I am overwriting the copies of the originals I made on my desktop..

Anyways..

Always check your exported models, after you export them from Gmax/max. you can open them with notepad, it should have a time stamp and say exported from NWNMax at <time,date>, etc..

If the date and time match it worked correctly.. If not, then it failed to export properly,..

If you get jumbled text, that means its still in the original games binary format, so this also means it failed to export..

So make sure you use gmax/maxs export not nwnmaxs for body mesh editing..

Also, note that it will overwrite the actual .mdl, and .mdx files when it exports, not the ascii file mdlops made, thats just used for importing into gmax/max nothing else, so don't bother with it when exporting, look at the other 2 files..

More specifically the .mdl file, the mdx isnt modifed at any time except when you compile it for the last time with mdlops.. (if you use the open with command, you can tell it to always open .mdl files with notepad)

Nwnmaxs export function only works when you are editing regular trimesh items, like mask, etc, not for sabers, bodies, clothes, you have to use the modeling programs export feature then.

Unless, you converted the skin to trimesh when you decompiled with mdlops..

I know its a lot take in, but once you get used to watching these things its not that bad really..

Hope this helps..
 SithRevan
09-10-2006, 6:25 PM
Oh that makes sense, thanks amon that really helps. I will go try that and tell you how it went, thanks again!:D
 HouseOfAmon
09-10-2006, 6:30 PM
Oh that makes sense, thanks amon that really helps. I will go try that and tell you how it went, thanks again!:D

No problem, I had the same exact problem, none of the tuts really explained it that clear..

Anyways if it don't work read my above post again, as I have edited the info a little, try that, and then get back to me if it fails again...
Page: 1 of 1