Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Day/Night Transitions?

Page: 1 of 1
 Fiestainabox
08-23-2006, 4:39 PM
Has anyone successfully got them working? I've played around with them in tetras Module editor, all the textures turn a shiny black at night, and its impossible to see. Has anyone got them working right?
 stoffe
08-23-2006, 4:52 PM
Has anyone successfully got them working? I've played around with them in tetras Module editor, all the textures turn a shiny black at night, and its impossible to see. Has anyone got them working right?

Likely a leftover from Neverwinter Nights since it's not used for anything in either of the KotOR games. While they still work for adjusting the ambient lighting, the area lighting is not dynamic in the KotOR games, unlike NWN, but a part of the area model.

Meaning that during the "night" the area will still look bright as day while objects in it (characters, placeables) lit by the ambient lighting will be dark (looking very unnatural since the world around them is still bright).
 Darth InSidious
08-23-2006, 5:01 PM
The only way this works even remotely is by twiddling with the fog so that it's thick enough to swamp out other colours, but thin enough to be able to see, IIRC...Also, changing the DynAmbientColor to something neutral between day and night colours might help...
 Kaspian
08-24-2006, 4:02 AM
And use SetAreaFogColor( object oArea, float fRed, float fGreen, float fBlue ) to color the fog :)
 Darth InSidious
08-24-2006, 8:29 AM
...Or just change the fog colours in the .are, if you're module editing ;)
 Kaspian
08-24-2006, 9:58 AM
As I recall FogColor is not in *.are file (but acessible with scripts). To get the night look in KotOR I changed model's textures, DynAmbientColor (more blue), SunFogColor (more blue), SunFogFar (50) and FogColor (almost black).

Edit: I was wrong, FogColor=SunFogColor

I played also with model's lights, but there are not supported yet. If I only know how to hexedit them.
 Pavlos
08-24-2006, 10:08 AM
As I recall FogColor is not in *.are file (but acessible with scripts). To get the night look in KotOR I changed model's textures, DynAmbientColor (more blue), SunFogColor (more blue), SunFogFar (50) and FogColor (almost black).

I played also with model's lights, but there are not supported yet. If I only know how to hexedit them.

I don't understand what you're talking about. The SunFogColor and MoonFogColor are listed in the .are... yet you said they weren't? Those values have nothing to do with textures.
 Darth InSidious
08-24-2006, 12:01 PM
^Exactly.

As is the DynAmbientColor ...
 Kaspian
08-24-2006, 12:08 PM
The SunFogColor and MoonFogColor are listed in the .are... yet you said they weren't?I said "FogColor" is not in *.are (color of Fog, not SunFog or MoonFog). I'd post a screenshot but don't have the game at work.
 Darth InSidious
08-24-2006, 1:34 PM
Really? I'm pretty sure you can set it in the KT module editor though...
 Kaspian
08-24-2006, 4:53 PM
You are right Darth InSidious. It's there and it works, it's in *.are too. I am really sorry I confused you people. My saved game must be somehow corrupted. When I tested fog at Dantooine Courtyard, it was not accepting SunFogColor value of *.are file in override (so I had to change it with script). When I started new game and warped to Courtyard, it worked fine with *.are setting.

b4 (http://kaspian.fotopic.net/p33223446.html) and after (http://kaspian.fotopic.net/p33223447.html)
 Darth InSidious
08-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Nice :)
 The Doctor
08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm a modding n00b, so forgive me if this is a compeltely idiotic suggestion, but couldn't one mimic what's done in the Kasyyykk Shadowlands?
 Darth InSidious
08-25-2006, 1:23 PM
What do you mean by what was done in the Shadowlands?
 The Doctor
08-25-2006, 1:27 PM
Well, the Shadowlands are dark - somewhat like it's night. Couldn't one mimic the effect used in those modules?
 Prime
08-25-2006, 2:01 PM
Likely a leftover from Neverwinter Nights since it's not used for anything in either of the KotOR games. While they still work for adjusting the ambient lighting, the area lighting is not dynamic in the KotOR games, unlike NWN, but a part of the area model. That was one of the things I was surprised didn't make it into KOTOR, since it was in NWN...
 Darth InSidious
08-25-2006, 4:47 PM
Well, the Shadowlands are dark - somewhat like it's night. Couldn't one mimic the effect used in those modules?
That's because of the lightmaps in conjunction with what is being discussed here, and you can't apply one set of lightmaps to another area ;)
Page: 1 of 1