Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Windows Vista?

Page: 1 of 1
 matt--
03-14-2006, 6:04 PM
How long after the release date of Windows Vista will you upgrade (if at all)?
 Jeff
03-14-2006, 6:18 PM
Well hopefully never. I run Ubuntu Linux, and I'd like to get an iBook or one of the new MacBooks sometime. So unless I am ever, for some reason, required to upgrade, I don't plan on it. I only started running Linux last year, so by the time Vista is stable, I'll be Linux-savy enough to not need to run windows except for games, which XP can handle.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-14-2006, 6:48 PM
Maybe within 6 months....
 stingerhs
03-14-2006, 8:46 PM
well, everything is going to depend on if Microsoft will release DX 10 for XP. if not, then i'll probably get it somewhere down the line (definately well after its initial bug-filled release). in that case, i'll probably run a duel boot: Linux for just about everything and Vista for gaming.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
03-14-2006, 9:44 PM
I'm beta testing it. But I'll definitely get it to see games that use the (fully) programmable shaders and new DX stuff. Also I can't wait to see things like C# 3.0 and the new Windows API.

@Darth Moeller-
New games that use DX10 won't be able to run on Windows XP, unless Microsoft releases DX10 for XP, which they probably won't.
 Char Ell
03-15-2006, 12:19 AM
My current thoughts are to upgrade about a year after Windows Vista is released. I don't see any pressing need to upgrade before then unless, as others have mentioned, I need to have DirectX 10 for some reason. But I don't really foresee that happening.
 jon_hill987
03-15-2006, 7:16 AM
I intend to buy a propper copy of XP SP2 (rather than the OEM version) just before vista comes out and to use it as long as I can.

I like XP, it works (as well as any version of windows ever can). untill it dosn't do everything I want i will keep using it.

I don't like the idea of the extra memory vista uses that could be put to far better use blasting aliens.
 Reclaimer
03-15-2006, 7:30 AM
I said Immediately. Why? So I can upgrade that baby to a REAL gaming computer!
 TSR
03-15-2006, 7:34 AM
whenever my school get it. then i can steal it.
i win.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-15-2006, 7:51 AM
Probably within a year... hopefully there will be a revision or Service Pack available by then (I rarely ever by first rev editions)... I've always got my Mac or my XP Pro OS as backup in case anything goes bonkers ;)
 master_skywalke
03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Can't wait until its release!!!!!! :D It sucks that I can't download the February CTP because I spend all my bandwith at downloading OCPmovies Star Wars Classic Edition :P
 Thrik
03-15-2006, 7:18 PM
Probably within six months, although perhaps moving towards a year. It'll take at least that long for the majority of applications to make the move, and games will probably continue to come out based around XP for a similar length of time.

Any longer and it'd be cyber suicide to hold on as any new software is likely to be native to Vista; especially everyday programs for me such as Photoshop and whatnot which I'd imagine have programming teams who simply cannot wait to get their teeth into the Vista era of software and hardware (graphics card-powered operating system, dual/triple/quad-processing, etc).
 tk102
03-15-2006, 7:39 PM
I think there's a sizeable gap between "1 Year" and "Never". Most people I know probably run about 3-5 years behind the times when it comes to operating systems.

Cybersuicide? :xp: Maybe in some circles far removed from my own (Industrial Programmer/Systems Engineer).
 Thrik
03-15-2006, 8:29 PM
I should clarify that what I said was strictly relative to myself. ;)
 Det. Bart Lasiter
03-15-2006, 9:06 PM
I need to have DirectX 10 for some reason. But I don't really foresee that happening.
That reason is graphics my friend. DX10 is supposed to be (most likely will be) incredible graphics-wise.
 Samnmax221
03-16-2006, 1:56 AM
Within 6 months or first major patch, XP really pisses me off and is just too vulnerable, plus I'd like to take advantage of one of those nice proccesors AMD is making.
 Three60
03-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm just gonna get a new computer, since not many XP programs will work with Vista. I want to keep my XP for a while.
 Darth333
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't have any need for Vista right now. As long as XP allows me to do what I want/need to do, I won't switch to Vista. I guess that places me somewhere in between 1 year and "never" :p
 zerted
03-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I will never buy software from Microsoft. I get its software for free through my college (not stealing like venom_tyrant), so when I'm out of school, no Windows for me. I'll stick with Windows 2003 as long as possible and I still use Windows 3.11 every few months :) . Unless Windows goes open source...
 Thrik
03-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Psycho.
 wuyanxu
03-16-2006, 1:28 PM
Well hopefully never. I run Ubuntu Linux, and I'd like to get an iBook or one of the new MacBooks sometime. So unless I am ever, for some reason, required to upgrade, I don't plan on it. I only started running Linux last year, so by the time Vista is stable, I'll be Linux-savy enough to not need to run windows except for games, which XP can handle.
my friend gave me Ubuntu linux, it's not a good one, why not use the free verson of Red Hat or SuSE?? those are both great Linuxes.

i chose with in 6 month because Halo2's gonna be on there, and i love Halo games on PC (on xbox, it's horrible)
 Samnmax221
03-16-2006, 2:30 PM
I will however keep this around for the older applications, just like the old pentuim 2 I eep for the really old crap
 Det. Bart Lasiter
03-16-2006, 6:24 PM
my friend gave me Ubuntu linux, it's not a good one, why not use the free verson of Red Hat or SuSE?? those are both great Linuxes.

i chose with in 6 month because Halo2's gonna be on there, and i love Halo games on PC (on xbox, it's horrible)
SuSe OSS 10.0- http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org)
Red Hat Free (you mean Fedora Core :p)- https://www.redhat.com/fedora/)

Gentoo is en excellent distribution as well, and it's definitely the fastest distrobution I've used. You can get it at: http://www.gentoo.org/)

I don't have any need for Vista right now. As long as XP allows me to do what I want/need to do, I won't switch to Vista. I guess that places me somewhere in between 1 year and "never" :p
KotOR 3 might come out for Vista...
 Jeff
03-16-2006, 7:42 PM
Ubuntu > *
 Det. Bart Lasiter
03-17-2006, 3:50 PM
KDE > Gnome
 Jeff
03-17-2006, 10:37 PM
I've never used KDE, so I don't know what it's like, but I like Gnome very well.
 Kurgan
03-18-2006, 4:53 AM
Screw this new crap, that's my thought. I'll seek alterantives if I can't use an earlier better-for-me version of windows (I like 2kpro) anymore for some reason.

One of these days I've got to stop being lazy and install Mandrake or Redhat on my multi-boot...
 wuyanxu
03-18-2006, 5:12 AM
KDE > Gnome
totally agree, if you've used SuSE, then there's no doubt that KDE is better (well, the feel of interface-wise)

yeah, it's Fedora Core, just forgot how to spell it. (i can't spell to save my life)
 Darth Phantom
03-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Never, if possible.
 Samnmax221
03-18-2006, 3:19 PM
Really want a computer with Vista after seeing screens from Flight Simulator X
 Jae Onasi
03-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I'll probably get Vista with my next laptop. Upgrading an OS on a laptop is a pain. One of the MS guys finally had me uninstall SP2 after we determined that it just wasn't going to work on my current laptop.
 manoman81
03-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm going to try and hold out for as long as possible. There's too many negatives. There's too much integrated in for no reason. From what I read, it seems too system intense for no reason. XP pro is working just fine for me.
 stingerhs
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
well, if you're just going to use Vista for gaming (like i am), then this article (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/p-4.html) may prove to be quite interesting.

in a nutshell: the XP OS can't support the upcoming DX10, but since most of the next gen PC titles are designed for DX9, you won't have to upgrade to Vista right away. especially since the DX10 graphics boards are still in the development stage.
 wuyanxu
03-20-2006, 12:56 PM
From a user standpoint, the average person won't notice the difference, because things will just work the way they are supposed to. Connecting to other computers, locally or over the Internet, will be easier, faster, and hopefully more secure.
yeah, right.... what i want to know is whether it can connect to Linux to transfer files without having to install other stuff.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-20-2006, 1:58 PM
well, if you're just going to use Vista for gaming.

Yeah, that's te main reason why I am getting it.
 JediMaster12
03-20-2006, 2:31 PM
I would wait and see. I have XP right now and it's been doing fine for me for getting what I need to do. Also I'll wait to see if there are potential problems that I could avoid. Kind of like when buying an XBox or the 360 :D
 jedispy
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm still running Win2K pro, and I'm still smiling. I also am running Free BSD on my other machine. I'm happy with what I got.

Will Vista even support older games? (DOS & other)
 Samnmax221
03-21-2006, 6:27 PM
I've got a question for anyone who knows anything about Linux, I've heard good things about Xandros OS lately, is it any good in your opinion?
 master_skywalke
03-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Two days I installed Windows Vista build 5308. THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!! The UI is way better then previous builds and I only needed to install my Audio drivers, all other hardware was already fully funtional!!!
 wuyanxu
03-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Two days I installed Windows Vista build 5308. THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!! The UI is way better then previous builds and I only needed to install my Audio drivers, all other hardware was already fully funtional!!!
what system spec have you got?? i want to test it in VMware, but i don't think my machine can handle it even without VMware.
 Alegis
03-26-2006, 8:38 AM
beta testing, not really that fond of it to be honest. Probably not going to upgrade, or anytime soon after release.
 Samnmax221
03-26-2006, 9:23 PM
What don't you like about it
 Det. Bart Lasiter
03-27-2006, 4:29 PM
If anything, I'll get it to rotate windows "into the screen".
 manoman81
03-28-2006, 9:09 AM
My boss just got a copy of the beta. It looks nice. It has some nice visual effects. They improved on the "All Programs" menu so that it scrolls instead of flying out (the way it should have been from the beginning imo). It seems to be cleaned up a little bit. This is what XP should have been like. Also, I think many people will be happy with all of the drivers up until release being there already and WMP 11 is very nice. It acutally makes sense now. It has some handy tools like a "system rater" that lets you know what needs to be upgraded and tweaked.

Other than that, it is all eye candy. There is very little that is not something we have not seen already in some thrid party software. It is a system hog. There is no reason for the alt+tab screen flip. It really seems to be a bootleg OSX 10 for a PC. Again, I really will not get this unless I have to have in order to run some programs.
 Pho3nix
07-22-2006, 4:36 PM
Maybe within a year or something...when I buy my laptop.
 Lantzen
07-23-2006, 5:27 PM
I don't want to get Vista, but many new games that look's really good will only come to Vista, so i probaly most get it for that reson. So i probaly uppgrade within 6 months
 Pho3nix
07-23-2006, 6:35 PM
What? that doesn't sound right. They stop making games compatible for Windows ME i believe, but I think they will make games XP-compatible for a while atleast, like 5 years or even more.
 Lantzen
07-24-2006, 2:15 PM
Not all game, i believe Crysis is just gonna be for Vista, but i could be wrong. And thats a game im looking forward too
 Dawgas
07-25-2006, 2:59 AM
Just one quick thing - The reason Vista's a system hog is so that everyone else can sell better, newer versions of their products (NEW VIDEO CARDS, PROCESSORS WITH 248795 GIGAHERTZ OF PROCESSING POWAR!1), and without that, we cant have our realistic eyecandy games, now can we? (hopefully we can turn all that crap off though, lolz)

And XP support'll probably be gone in like, three years or less, and that's how long I wish to wait to get Vista, so I dont have to spend 3k to get a crappy system when it comes out, and instead pay 1k for that same system, lol.
 Char Ell
07-27-2006, 12:49 AM
My current thoughts are to upgrade about a year after Windows Vista is released. I don't see any pressing need to upgrade before then unless, as others have mentioned, I need to have DirectX 10 for some reason. But I don't really foresee that happening. Things have altered somewhat since I posted in March. I think my timeline may be right but my decision to go with Vista will hinge on my decision to upgrade to a quad-core processor and mobo. When I upgrade the hardware I'll upgrade the OS. I'm assuming though that Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium will support quad-core processors. From what I've read thus far Ultimate will support two processors. But it would seem kinda weird for AMD and Intel to release quad-cores for desktop PC's if a Microsoft OS that supported quad-cores wasn't available.
Page: 1 of 1