Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Surface bombardment

Page: 1 of 1
 HomoUniversalis
02-27-2006, 6:44 AM
I found, in 'SpaceUnitCapital', under the Star Destroyer, the line "<Surface_Bombardment_Capable>yes</Surface_Bombardment_Capable>". Personally, I would much appreciate such a feature, as I'm not too fond of the land battles, where I'm supposed to destroy a rebel base with countless rebel soldiers with three companies of storm troopers.
Destroying all of the resources with the Death star is even less appealing, so I was wondering whether anyone has an idea on how to restore such a feature. I'm kinda a n00b when it comes to this kind of stuff, so... anyone? :D
 Necroe
02-27-2006, 7:15 AM
i think they turned it off for a reason, if you notice its also set at tech lvl 99 as it's the base for the other ones! so as such the others should have it too.
 Three60
02-27-2006, 7:15 AM
Also, many features are not included that are listed in the code, one that has been mentioned being Maitenance. We decided it's hardcoded in the EXE. But, my mod does take out land battles and you just have to destory a space station.
 HomoUniversalis
02-27-2006, 2:20 PM
Stay On Topic.

Hardcoded in the exe? How peculiar. Well, maybe they just removed other references, and there is still hope in restoring the function.
 ual002
03-01-2006, 2:47 PM
I think something like a suface bombardment feature would be great to be able to use only once during a land battle. Make it a larger area where turbobolts fall, but do less overall dammage (Do to the fact that turbolaser bolts are just energy and have no high explosive charge or sabot round. It could act as a target softner.) The rebs wouldnt use this indescriminate bombardment technique due to its high potential for colateral damage. And do your research, Vics are the only ship powerful enough to do it and small enough to enter the atrmosphere according to some sourcebooks

-mEaThEAdeD nEWb
 Slocket
03-01-2006, 2:59 PM
That line just tell the game if having a capital ship which carries TIE Bombers are able to use BOMBARD while on a land battle?

Make it False, then as the Empire you cannot call down BOMBARD while on a land battle map.

I am guessing, but I will test this theory in game.

A regular Victory class has two TIE bombers, is it listed as a capital ship? It is refered to as a cruiser or frigate in game text, but I need to check the code...interesting.

UPDATE:
Only the ISD and Mon Calamari get this surface bombardment. It has nothing to do with what I said above.

It seemed it was the ability to bomb the planet from space without a ground assault, but was disabled. No affect in game.
 Jan Gaarni
03-01-2006, 3:05 PM
And do your research, Vics are the only ship powerful enough to do it and small enough to enter the atrmosphere according to some sourcebooks
Yes, but a ship doesn't need to actually enter an atmosphere in order to do orbital bombardment. Plus, the very word orbital implies the ship is in orbit while performing the bombardment.

And as a sidenote: The Venator is larger than the Victory, and it even lands on the ground. ;)
 ual002
03-01-2006, 5:20 PM
Yeah, well thats cuz goerge lucas is a dumbass and didnt take into account any of the star wars books and games he approved before he made those last 3 films. All he cared about was making a few kids movies and making a butt load of money.
 arkodeon
03-01-2006, 5:49 PM
Yeah, well thats cuz goerge lucas is a dumbass and didnt take into account any of the star wars books and games he approved before he made those last 3 films. All he cared about was making a few kids movies and making a butt load of money.

Sorry, I disagree. I have seen no where that the Victory was the largest vessel able to land.

If this was true, explain the Luskanya.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-01-2006, 7:32 PM
Sorry, I disagree. I have seen no where that the Victory was the largest vessel able to land.

If this was true, explain the Luskanya.
The ISDs and their successors, the Super-class SDs are not atmosphere-capable. One possible explanation is that the Luskanya may have been built on Coruscant (in secret), not at KDY's shipyards. Unlike her sister ship, the Executor, she has special repulsors specifically to allow her to lift off of the planet. There is evidence to suggest this as the Knight Hammer, another SSD, was incapable of staying out of the gravity well of Yavin and was thus subsequently destroyed. If the Knight Hammer had repulsors like the Luskanya, that wouldn't have happened.
 TigerRei
03-02-2006, 2:12 AM
More correctly, the Lusankya had a very large number of repulsorlifts built into a cradle underneath it designed for it to be lifted off the surface of Coruscant. It wasnt even powerful enough to lift it off planet. Isard had to fire the main engines and obliterate a few kilometers to get out of atmosphere. Therefore, we can conclude that even a VSD would be far too massive to be able to enter atmosphere safely.

And for orbital bombardment, ISDs have been noted in many occasions in the books (most notably in the second of the three Trawn trilogy books with the Chimaera firing down upon the Coral Vanda, which was under water at the time) being able to destroy targets upon a planetary surface. In fact, the reason the Imperials assaulted Hoth with AT-ATs was due to the fact that they had a shield generator up to prevent such bombardment from destroying the base before they could evacuate the base.

I'm going with the reason it was taken out was because for one, it would be too powerful (destroying ground forces without having to go into a land battle) or due to the fact that the bombing run was already powerful enough.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-02-2006, 2:26 AM
More correctly, the Lusankya had a very large number of repulsorlifts built into a cradle underneath it designed for it to be lifted off the surface of Coruscant. It wasnt even powerful enough to lift it off planet. Isard had to fire the main engines and obliterate a few kilometers to get out of atmosphere. Therefore, we can conclude that even a VSD would be far too massive to be able to enter atmosphere safely.
Your point about the cradle is correct. It's been a long time since I read those novels and I'd forgotten. However, you are incorrect regarding what constitutes "too massive to be able to enter atmosphere safely". The Venator Star Destroyer is larger than the VSD and, unlike the VSD, it can land on a planet (not just enter atmosphere), like the Acclamator (which is 2/3 the size of the Venator). The issue is not one of just mass. The Venator disproves that. It's a matter of engine power and internal repulsorlifts.
 TigerRei
03-02-2006, 2:39 AM
The problem is, how much of it is just game design, and how much of it is canon? Personally, in my opinion, the Venator being able to land upon a planet is more of a function put into the game solely for balance, as there is no mention of a Venator in any of the books I own (all except for the latest Yuuzhan Vong books), nor a mention of any capital ship smaller than a frigate entering the atmosphere. Honestly, if you ask me, it would be impractical for a ship that size to enter an atmosphere simply due to the amount of energy and equipment required to make it feasible.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-02-2006, 2:42 AM
The Venator appears in Episode 3. That's about as canon as it gets.
 Necroe
03-02-2006, 5:24 AM
no one said anything about LANDING just going into the atmosphere to bombard the planet.
 Phant
03-02-2006, 8:05 AM
And as a sidenote: The Venator is larger than the Victory, and it even lands on the ground. ;)

Where by does this happen? I'll look out for it next time i see the film
 Adonnay
03-02-2006, 8:13 AM
The <Surface_Bombardment_Capable>-tag probably only means that the ship carries a load of bombers since you can't build TIE Bombers to give air cover.
 ual002
03-02-2006, 1:08 PM
All in all though, very good discusion. I've learned alot just in those few posts. I too forgot about Isards SSD.
 arkodeon
03-02-2006, 2:49 PM
The ISDs and their successors, the Super-class SDs are not atmosphere-capable. One possible explanation is that the Luskanya may have been built on Coruscant (in secret), not at KDY's shipyards. Unlike her sister ship, the Executor, she has special repulsors specifically to allow her to lift off of the planet. There is evidence to suggest this as the Knight Hammer, another SSD, was incapable of staying out of the gravity well of Yavin and was thus subsequently destroyed. If the Knight Hammer had repulsors like the Luskanya, that wouldn't have happened.

I did indeed read the Bacta War series. She was built at Kuat, if I am not mistaken...I can't really remember where. She was dropped into Coruscant on a cradle of Repulsorlift Thingies, and when she broke off, an entire Coruscant city-square (100 square miles, or so) was destroyed, millions killed.

But there is no reason that the ISD (...who cares, we all know it can Bomb the heck out of a planet) can use those to "get into the atmosphere."

Remember the whole...

OBI-WAN: Oh Anakin. You did me SOO proud, even though you show signs of being in the Dark Side, you wanted to defy Mace Windu, and tell him to STFU. But you are indeed the chosen one, so I leave you on Coruscant so you can go slaughter the Jedi Masters. ;D K NOW. BYYYE.

Anakin: Thank you Master, you are most kind. You won't fail me again.

Obi-Wan: Oh I know.

*Obi-Wan goes into the Venator.*

OR BETTER YET.

*Yoda is in the gunship.*

Yoda: See you again, I will not.

Mace Windu: Same here, homie. Just watch out for them Clone dudes. They bad@$$.

Yoda: With it, I am.

Obi-Wan: Anakin is the chosen one, I feel it.

Yoda: ... Dark Side, clouds all it does. Worse than Smog, it is.

*Scene with Venator on Coruscant, Yoda's gunship comes to the docking area* ;

Yeah, they had to get there somehow.

The problem is, how much of it is just game design, and how much of it is canon? Personally, in my opinion, the Venator being able to land upon a planet is more of a function put into the game solely for balance, as there is no mention of a Venator in any of the books I own (all except for the latest Yuuzhan Vong books), nor a mention of any capital ship smaller than a frigate entering the atmosphere. Honestly, if you ask me, it would be impractical for a ship that size to enter an atmosphere simply due to the amount of energy and equipment required to make it feasible.

As said by Tal Odo-Ki, the Republic Attack Cruiser from Episode Three is indeed the Venator-class.

We are not debating upon the ability to land on a planet, no Capital ship can do that in EaW, although the Acclamator and Republic Attack Cruiser should be able to, but for balance reasons...yeah.

I do not suppose that it would take a whole lot of energy for the Republic Attack Cruiser to land, since it can power like...WHOA lotsa cannons, sliding doors (>D yay for unique launch bays), and internal functions. They could deactivate Shields, use that power for the repulsorlifts, and go down.
 Prophion
03-03-2006, 5:24 AM

You see Venator's landed at Coruscant many times during EPIII...being loaded up with Clone troopers, Yoda embarking onto one I think, or maybe Obi-wan. Or both come to think of it. They're quite big...I don't think you can miss them.

As for a Venator being unable to land on a planet just cause an SSD can't..we're talking about something around 1100m long compared to something most would agree is at laest 12km long, maybe 18km or so. The arguement is oversimplified. It's like saying that a space shuttle can't land on Earth because the International Spacestation can't.

EDIT: Nevermind, Ark already pointed it out. That first post as so ridiculously long winded, I didn't read it all the way through the first time.
 Orao
03-03-2006, 5:42 AM
WHOA now I must say that I'm amazed with you guys. You are arguing about which ship can enter the atmosphear as those ships actually exist. Remember the space shuttle which burned in the atmosphear during entery only because a lilte missing piece on its thermal shield. That space shuttle was as big as A320 maybe even less.

And you are arguing about the ship (12-18 km long) which can enter the atmosphear.

Huh, guys those ship will never exist and are just the Lucas's imagination.

I love SW but comme on, just settle up. It's the fiction nothing more nothnig less.

Now back to the post.

Removing the orbital bombardement does make sense. The map is way too small for something like that in the GC mode. If they have gave us that option 90 % of time we or the AI will sit back using our troops only to scoot and we will call down the orbital bombardement. Don't tell me that is wrong because I know it isn't.
 arkodeon
03-03-2006, 2:12 PM
WHOA now I must say that I'm amazed with you guys. You are arguing about which ship can enter the atmosphear as those ships actually exist. Remember the space shuttle which burned in the atmosphear during entery only because a lilte missing piece on its thermal shield. That space shuttle was as big as A320 maybe even less.

And you are arguing about the ship (12-18 km long) which can enter the atmosphear.

Huh, guys those ship will never exist and are just the Lucas's imagination.

I love SW but comme on, just settle up. It's the fiction nothing more nothnig less.

Now back to the post.

Removing the orbital bombardement does make sense. The map is way too small for something like that in the GC mode. If they have gave us that option 90 % of time we or the AI will sit back using our troops only to scoot and we will call down the orbital bombardement. Don't tell me that is wrong because I know it isn't.

If there wasn't debate on hypothetical things, do you think we would be where we are?

[Random Guy: Gee. That lightbulb thing of yours isn't going to happen. It's black magic, you here? No need to go dabbling in the work of the Devil.

Thomas: I suppose you're right. This hypothetical light-source is nothing but magic anyways.]

Or better yet.

[Wife: Oh, no one could discover Space physics. You live on Earth, not in space. We will never be able to go to Space anyways, honey, so it doesn't matter.

Einstein: You're probably right. How is caring about the Physics of the Quantum anyways? It's a hypothetical situation.]

All I'm saying is... It's fun to debate on this that might not happen, but might will. I, without a doubt, believe that Pizza-slice shaped starships will one day rule the galaxy, and that the famous force will be found deep within us.

Oh yes, I do. I also believe that one day that famous Basketball, what's it called...Death Star? Will one day blow Mars up. ;D

Speculation is everything. Creativity and Enjoyment is nothing without Imagination! Live a little. :D
 ual002
03-03-2006, 2:46 PM
god damn right!
 TigerRei
03-04-2006, 2:28 AM
Well actually if you read the books carefully, they mention quite a number of times that ships can and sometimes to burn up on reentry. Repulsorlifts and engine power provide enough trust to control the speed of entry, and shields are sometimes used for full-speed atmosphere reentries.

Anyways, the discussion has gone a bit astray. My only point is that even if it is possible to get a capital ship down onto a planet surface, it would be very impractical and require a lot of energy resources.

To the original topic, like I stated above, they probably took out planetary bombardment for balance issues, since they really cant improve upon bombing runs destruction. My opinion is it got redundant so they took it out.
Page: 1 of 1