Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rebellion Ships - Launching fighters?

Page: 1 of 1
 Renown
02-23-2006, 1:23 PM
Hey guys, personally I think rebellion ships should come with a complement of fighters, as they have in previous games (XWA... etc) and the like.

I have tried modding it in, but have been unsuccessful. I know its doable, since someone did it for the demo,

I'd much rather be able to build a frigate and have it launch its X-Wings etc.. etc in combat.

X-Wings, Y-Wings and A-Wings should still be buildable, as extra support.

Anyone want to attempt this?

Thanks =)
 CaptainRAVE
02-23-2006, 1:43 PM
And as mentioned before, there should be an option to keep your fighters in the capital ships until your ready for them to be launched. I doubt this can be modded in by the fans though, but who knows, there are some very talented people around.
 Tom Servo
02-23-2006, 1:48 PM
You cant keep your fighters , its hardcoded, you can only change the delay which they will spawn.
About Renown's idea, i'll probly add some squads for the calamari cruiser, but if u add fighters in all ships then the rebellion is gonna get too many stuff. :)
 Necroe
02-23-2006, 1:58 PM
won't it be unfair though, i mean the rebel fighters are VASTLY superior which is why they build them manually and have +5 popcap.
 Three60
02-23-2006, 2:17 PM
I think we should use the Z-95 Headhunter. It's weaker, you can't build it very much, so it would be perfect.
BTW, what file are the ships located?
 Zorromorph
02-23-2006, 2:18 PM
The other thing is, the whole point with the Empire having them on the Star Destroyers is that Ties can't hyperspace. Rebel fighters can, so why keep them on the ship?
 Tom Servo
02-23-2006, 2:23 PM
I think we should use the Z-95 Headhunter. It's weaker, you can't build it very much, so it would be perfect.
BTW, what file are the ships located?
Ye nice idea, since they are weaker than other ships they arent used much, but still it wouldnt be wise if all the ships had them.
 Adonnay
02-23-2006, 3:13 PM
I too find it a little weird that the rebel capships have no fighter bays. A calamari cruiser - according to the fiction - has about 120 fighters on board. Sure you can't model that 1:1 but simply stripping it of all fighters is a little odd. That may be due to balance reasons but I think the balance should have been achieved otherwise. I will mod my rebel capships from Nebulon B up to carry some squadrons too... not sure how I will compensate that... I'll probably make the ISDs more durable.

In relation to that... does anyone know where to find the attachment bones for the different ships?
 Tom Servo
02-23-2006, 3:16 PM
Having a hard time putting fighters in ships, anyone know what else needs adding beyond the spawn_squadron ability and adding fighters?
 DaRookie
02-23-2006, 3:18 PM
Hey guys, personally I think rebellion ships should come with a complement of fighters, as they have in previous games (XWA... etc) and the like.

my mod does exactly that: ->Link (http://www.hqboard.net/showthread.php?t=14874) <-

unfortunately it is in german, as i dont have the english mastertextfile_***.dat

changes:

-alle Fighter and Bombers have now 6 members per unit (2 units = 1 squadron)

-mon cal cruiser have 1 A-wing, 2 X-wing, 3 Y-wing squadrons
-home one has 2 A-wing, 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing squadrons
-nebulon b's have 1 X-wing squadron
-assault's have 1 X-wing squadron
-isd's have 1 T/i, 4 T/J, 2T/B
-victory's have 2 T/J, 2 T/B Staffeln
-acclamator's have 2 T/J Staffeln
-isd spawntime is jŠ“ger 2 sec, all others 5 sec
-spacestations spawn the double amount of fighters
-damage of protontorpedoes reduced
-Tie interceptor is available uses atm the icon and model of the tie scout

balancing isn't yet finished

if someone could send me his gamedata\data\text\mastertextfile_***.dat

i can rewrite the fluff stuff for the english game
 Adonnay
02-23-2006, 3:29 PM
The problem is (as it seems - correct me if I'm wrong) that for the Nebulon i.e. you replaced the engines with the hangar. I would rather not replace any existing hardpoint... that's why I would like to know what the attachment bones are for the different ships. But they're probably hardcoded... :/
 DaRookie
02-23-2006, 3:38 PM
exactly

atm i can only exchange an existing hardpoint and because the rebel ships originally donnt have hangars, they dont have the proper bones (afaik)
 Tom Servo
02-23-2006, 4:02 PM
You dont have to replace the hardpoints. Heres what i did to pirate frigate: <HardPoints>
HP_Pirate_Frigate_F, HP_Pirate_Frigate_BL, HP_Pirate_Frigate_BR, HP_Pirate_Frigate_Hangar
</HardPoints>

then in hardpoints.xml:

<Type> HARD_POINT_FIGHTER_BAY </Type>
<Is_Targetable>No</Is_Targetable>
<Is_Destroyable>No</Is_Destroyable>
<Tooltip_Text>TEXT_FIGHTER_BAY_HARDPOINT</Tooltip_Text>
<Health>225.0</Health>

Havent checked what happenes if i make it targetable but at least i didnt lose any weapon hardpoints.
 Three60
02-23-2006, 4:04 PM
Yeah, you just need to add the hardpoint. Then set it to accept it as a hardpoint on the ship.
 Tom Servo
02-23-2006, 4:06 PM
 DaRookie
02-23-2006, 4:41 PM
You dont have to replace the hardpoints. Heres what i did to pirate frigate: <HardPoints>
HP_Pirate_Frigate_F, HP_Pirate_Frigate_BL, HP_Pirate_Frigate_BR, HP_Pirate_Frigate_Hangar
</HardPoints>

then in hardpoints.xml:

<Type> HARD_POINT_FIGHTER_BAY </Type>
<Is_Targetable>No</Is_Targetable>
<Is_Destroyable>No</Is_Destroyable>
<Tooltip_Text>TEXT_FIGHTER_BAY_HARDPOINT</Tooltip_Text>
<Health>225.0</Health>

Havent checked what happenes if i make it targetable but at least i didnt lose any weapon hardpoints.

thx, i will check that out
 DaRookie
02-23-2006, 5:04 PM
i did that and it worked, but it has an interesting side effect: the fighters spawn at the centre of the map and not with the ship
 Adonnay
02-23-2006, 5:29 PM
And you can't target the hangar bay... which is what I usually do first.
 Tom Servo
02-23-2006, 5:30 PM
Hmm, you must have messed up something. I made the location of the hangar hardpoint at the turbolaser hardpoint and thats where they spawn, works ok.
 DaRookie
02-23-2006, 5:51 PM
i think i will stick with my version, exchanging the engine with the hangar, till i know how to add attachment bones (i think,the engines are the least crucial hardpoint)

btw a new version is up:
T/I are now buildable in skirmish and no longer uberunits
 Darth_Torpid-PG
02-23-2006, 7:56 PM
You are missing the spawn bone for the fighters - all empire ships have a SPAWN_00 bone that is used as a spawn location. If you replace an existing hard point with a fighter bay, you will also need to make sure you change the spawn bone name to one of the bones that already exist on the rebel ship model (since no rebel ships were modeled with spawn bones). That should fix your spawn location problem.
 Necroe
02-24-2006, 12:42 AM
also i find it greatly unfair i mean spawning xwings which not only take a popcap normally but are far superior to the tie's for free...why bother building them at all!
 Adonnay
02-24-2006, 2:22 AM
Aww... guess not its official that the rebel ships were never fitted with spawning locations :/
Thanks for the info though... I suppose the attachment bones are hardcoded? Or are they available somewhere?
 DaRookie
02-24-2006, 9:01 AM
i made a mistake with the 0.08 version regarding the mon cal cruiser

it is fixed in the version 0.09
 Master Nikolaos
02-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I think the best balace that could be achieved by activating fighters,etc from Rebel Ships would be to make empire fighters/bombers available for purchase just like the rebels can purchase their fighters/bombers. Then, make the Mon Cals and other rebel launching capable ships, launch capable :D.
 Renown
02-24-2006, 3:24 PM
Forget balance, whine whine. This game should not be balanced not in that way.

I don't care what you guys want , I want, what I want which is this.

Rebel fighters able to launch from Frigates and cruisers and appropriate ships.

Buildable too, because they are hyperspace capable. TIES ARENT. But the Rebels also carried fighters on ships. They didn't exactly have bases everywhere.

Thanks.
 Three60
02-24-2006, 3:27 PM
If we could figure out how to do this without removing engines and make it work well, I want to put this into my mod. But shouldn't you just have to make a hanger hordpoint on the ship, then say what to spawn?
 Tom Servo
02-24-2006, 3:33 PM
You dont have to remove the engines, if you use the bones of the turbolasers you can have a hanger and a laser at the same place, but you will have to destroy the first one to target the second one below it. Personally i just added a hangar to the lasers and made it so you cant see it, its not too bad.
 Three60
02-24-2006, 3:44 PM
Okay, thanks.
 Darth_Torpid-PG
02-24-2006, 6:11 PM
Aww... guess not its official that the rebel ships were never fitted with spawning locations :/
Thanks for the info though... I suppose the attachment bones are hardcoded? Or are they available somewhere?

The attachment bones are all listed in the hard point data for each individual hard point.
 DaRookie
02-24-2006, 7:28 PM
there has been an update:

->Link (http://darookie.myflathost.com/exils_fighter_mod0.10.rar)<-)

things to come: fighters aren't the only ships which could fly in formation (start guessing :P )

ps.: i still need the english mastertextfile
 Adonnay
02-25-2006, 2:47 AM
The attachment bones are all listed in the hard point data for each individual hard point.

True... though I was hoping for some unused hardpoints which didn't make it into the final game like the sidemounted cannons from the AT-AT.
 Three60
03-01-2006, 8:32 PM
I know this is old, but I can't get the fighters to come out, and I did what Tom said to do. Anyone know the problem? The game loads fine, but no ships come out.
 Adonnay
03-02-2006, 2:09 AM
I suppose you either missed the hardpoint or the SPAWN_SQUADRON tag listed under space_behavior I think. These are the two that are overlooked easily ;)
 Three60
03-02-2006, 7:20 AM
SPAWN_SQUADRON, thanks.
Page: 1 of 1