Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Who do you want to play as in KoTOR 3?

Page: 2 of 5
 igyman
02-06-2006, 2:58 PM
No it's not our decision, but it doesn't have to be necessarily Obsidian's decision either.
I mean there's no guarantee that Obsidian will even be the one to possibly make KoTOR 3.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-06-2006, 3:02 PM
I know that. But since we can't decide (mainly because both sides have good reasons), I think that Obisidan (or Bioware or both) should decide on it.
 igyman
02-06-2006, 3:05 PM
They should and they will, but they should bear in mind what most of the fans want.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-06-2006, 3:08 PM
Yes, I know. But if you look around the forum a little... You'll see that it is pretty much divided into half.
 Eelyn Tikalm
02-06-2006, 4:10 PM
Hey, who would like to play Revan in KOTOR3, but with the story placed in the time just before KOTOR1? It'd be fun to see what made Revan turn to the dark side, and we could see Kreia (she trained Revan)?? I know that the realisation of this idea isn't not possible, and the future of the Revan would be defined already, but still...?

Ej Vladimire mi smo susjedi
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-06-2006, 4:16 PM
O, i ti si sa ovih prostora? Pozdrav brate. I igyman je sa ovih prostora.

Hey, who would like to play Revan in KOTOR3, but with the story placed in the time just before KOTOR1?
Not bad. But still you have to wait for the current plot to finish. Then maybe we could think of that.
 JediMaster12
02-06-2006, 4:27 PM
I'm up for a new PC. I really can't see anyway clearlyas to explain why Revan/Exile is at level 1 again. I'm up for seeing them maybe be a temporary character but I just can't see it.
 Eelyn Tikalm
02-06-2006, 5:04 PM
Only me and somebody else have voted for Exile. I liked the Exile character and story more than the Revan story.
We all know that they'll put a new char in KOTOR3, that's how the RPGs are. You have to start from a scratch. That's sad. I mean, you just get into the char, and then you have to do that all over again in the next game sequal with the new one.

Btw Vladimire, trebao si reći pozdrav sestro :)
Drago mi je vidjet nekog iz blizine.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-06-2006, 5:10 PM
These are English Language forums

Only me and somebody else have voted for Exile. I liked the Exile character and story more than the Revan story.
I didn't vote, because I liked both Revan and the Exile. So I can't really decide.
 Eelyn Tikalm
02-06-2006, 5:27 PM
Yeah, both chars are interesting.
I've been trying to figure out what makes a character interesting. So I noticed this cliche (that I like): he/she's always got to have some big traumatic experience (Revan=memory&force power loss as an indirect result of Malak's betrayal, Exile=force power loss as a direct result of tragedies from Malachor V etc)
so I guess that the K3 new char will also have one that will force him/her to start from scratch. I rally can't wait to see what will that be.
I agree with anyone who thinks that it would be boring to see yet another reason why Revan/Exile would lose all powers or/and memory, but I'd like to have them in K3.
 igyman
02-06-2006, 5:40 PM
I'm glad to see more and more different opinions and though I want Revan, I'm still glad the Exile is starting to get some votes.

Eelyn Tikalm
02-06-2006, 6:12 PM
These are English language forums

It would be fun to play with both Revan and Exile, and a new PC in K3. I wouldn't mind chosing all the feats, skills, f powers etc all over again for them at the begining of the game.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-06-2006, 7:36 PM
It would be fun to play with both Revan and Exile, and a new PC in K3.
I wish that it happens.
 igyman
02-07-2006, 1:58 PM
I'm not sure how that can be done, but who knows?
 Darth InSidious
02-07-2006, 3:03 PM
Simple. The plot alternates between the two people, like scenes in a film or a TV show. "Act 1", the Exile sets off. "Act 2", Revan is stuck in a dungeon, maybe? Eventually, both characters meet, and you decide which to leave behind...?

Frankly the argument "an old PC re-appearing makes no sense in terms of plot" is not really an argument. Neither is yet *another* Jedi anointed by fate/the Force/whatever, to save or condemn the Republic. Neither argument is stronger.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-07-2006, 3:25 PM
Simple. The plot alternates between the two people, like scenes in a film or a TV show. "Act 1", the Exile sets off. "Act 2", Revan is stuck in a dungeon, maybe? Eventually, both characters meet, and you decide which to leave behind...?

Frankly the argument "an old PC re-appearing makes no sense in terms of plot" is not really an argument. Neither is yet *another* Jedi anointed by fate/the Force/whatever, to save or condemn the Republic. Neither argument is stronger.
I strongly support and agree with everything Darth InSidious said.
 Prime
02-07-2006, 3:38 PM
Simple. The plot alternates between the two people, like scenes in a film or a TV show. "Act 1", the Exile sets off. "Act 2", Revan is stuck in a dungeon, maybe? Eventually, both characters meet, and you decide which to leave behind...?Why would I want to spend a good chunk of the game to develop a character only to have to ditch him for the rest of the game? And remember, a lot of people got upset with TSL when they were forced to use another character...

Frankly the argument "an old PC re-appearing makes no sense in terms of plot" is not really an argument. Neither is yet *another* Jedi anointed by fate/the Force/whatever, to save or condemn the Republic. Neither argument is stronger.But Star Wars is riddled with characters that have a huge affect on the galaxy at large. The whole "character reset" thing is much more cliche.
 stingerhs
02-07-2006, 3:48 PM
Frankly the argument "an old PC re-appearing makes no sense in terms of plot" is not really an argument. Neither is yet *another* Jedi anointed by fate/the Force/whatever, to save or condemn the Republic. Neither argument is stronger.you're right, neither arguement is stronger. however, you're still not completely on track. it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them. yes, it is possible, but it would be a bit too cliche for most players.

if you start with a new character, you're only limited to the writer's vision for the character. in other words, the sky's the limit. ;)
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-07-2006, 3:54 PM
And remember, a lot of people got upset with TSL when they were forced to use another character...
Yes. But the way Obisidan constructed the story, the only way to continue it, is through the characters about which it was always talked about.

you're right, neither arguement is stronger. however, you're still not completely on track. it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them.
I know that it is hard to determine that. I said that several posts above. It was easy to insert the Exile. That was the only course of action at the time. But think how hard it will be to insert a new character NOW. Obsidian constructed it for Revan and the Exile (or just the Exile). I can't really see a place for a new character.
 igyman
02-07-2006, 3:58 PM

That's a concept used in Legacy of Kain Defiance, the only difference is that there wasn't a point in the game where you can chose which character will you use to finish the game. The only thing is that LoK Defiance wasn't a RPG, it was an action adventure.

It's a good idea though and it would be interesting to see it realized in a RPG, but I don't think it will be done.
 igyman
02-07-2006, 4:02 PM
I can't really see a place for a new character.

Me neither.

P.S. I know I've bored a lot of people to death by repeating this over and over, but I just had to do it again (and will probably continue to do so).
 Darth InSidious
02-07-2006, 4:10 PM
Why would I want to spend a good chunk of the game to develop a character only to have to ditch him for the rest of the game? And remember, a lot of people got upset with TSL when they were forced to use another character...

*shrugs* If you don't like that character, then don't. The point is you choose. Anyway, it was just a suggestion.

But Star Wars is riddled with characters that have a huge affect on the galaxy at large. The whole "character reset" thing is much more cliche.
Over a long period of time. You don't generally get a long string of people saving and destroying the Republic constantly, do you? You don't find that Naga Sadow's apprentice then seeks a shadow war with the Jedi, or that Ulic Qel-Droma's half-brother seeks vengeance and then destroys Cinnagar, do you?

@stinger: you are limited by the fact that they have to be as 1337 as Revan and the Exile. You are limited by the necessity for this character's backstory, for the reason we have this brand new character, etc etc. Neither situation is especially practical.
 Timberwolf 21
02-07-2006, 5:18 PM

I voted for Revan because it"s my childish desire after playiing Kotor ( my favorite game ever ) but I know that I would equally enjoy Kotor 3 if Obsidian or Bioware decides to create any other character or continue the story with exile,.It"s up to their good will and patience with creating the game with quality of its predecessory and creating the story which would be interesting and loveble to play.I just cant wait to play Kotor 3 what ever will be
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-07-2006, 5:30 PM
Jos jedan? E sad smo svi na okupu. :p

I think I proved my point after several posts.
 igyman
02-07-2006, 5:30 PM
English please -d3

Thanks for giving Revan your vote (That'll show those new character supporters!!).
 stingerhs
02-07-2006, 5:58 PM
@stinger: you are limited by the fact that they have to be as 1337 as Revan and the Exile. You are limited by the necessity for this character's backstory, for the reason we have this brand new character, etc etc. Neither situation is especially practical.practical: no. essential: yes.

to change the format of the character you play is not something that's very desireable in the gaming industry. consistancy is the name of the game when it comes to sequels. in this case, it is essential that whoever the PC is has a definate backstory and a reasonable excuse for having (or lack there of) the abilities they have. its also a reasonable requirement that the PC be a very powerful character since that has been the established standard of the two previous games.

like it or not, whoever develop's Kotor 3 is very likely to abide by those established necessities just because it is a sequel.
 Darth InSidious
02-07-2006, 6:06 PM
practical: no. essential: yes.

to change the format of the character you play is not something that's very desireable in the gaming industry. consistancy is the name of the game when it comes to sequels. in this case, it is essential that whoever the PC is has a definate backstory and a reasonable excuse for having (or lack there of) the abilities they have. its also a reasonable requirement that the PC be a very powerful character since that has been the established standard of the two previous games.

like it or not, whoever develop's Kotor 3 is very likely to abide by those established necessities just because it is a sequel.

Y'know, these arguments can be applied the other way around. Bringing Revan back would create a link between the three games.
 Timberwolf 21
02-07-2006, 6:13 PM
I agree,but no character will be ever powerfull as Revan was ( and is ?!)
His storyline was most interesting and most schocking ( the cut-scene in Kotor 1 where you find out that you"re Revan is one of most powerfull moments in PC Games
I was very much suprised,it was totally unpredictable
 JediMaster12
02-07-2006, 9:35 PM
Really? You must have been oblivious to the hints given to you along the way before the revelation. Anyways I said a new PC because I just can't find a justified reason for bringing in Revan as the Pc. Should there be some mentionof him? Yes because it would complete the storyline, the same for the Exile because he's connected somehow to the whole thing that began in the Mandalorian Wars.
 stingerhs
02-07-2006, 9:40 PM
Y'know, these arguments can be applied the other way around. Bringing Revan back would create a link between the three games.to which i quote my own post...it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them. yes, it is possible, but it would be a bit too cliche for most players.you have to understand that i'm looking at this from two perspectives: first the development and writing process. second, i'm looking at how both the hardcore and the average gamer are going to perceive things.

from the developer/writer's standpoint, creating a new character makes more sense because you aren't limited to an established charater. you also aren't constrained to explain why a character has suddenly lost not only their powers, but also whatever they stood for (in this case being lightside or darkside).

from a gamer's perspective, a more cohesive and reasonable storyline is what makes the difference. in this case, you really can't use amnesia since its been done. you can't use being shut off from the Force because that's been done. you also can't look backwards and try to use Revan's or the Exile's backstory because we already know the backstory to those characters. so, now you really aren't left with much options unless those options include the insane and over-the-top ideas, and quite frankly, hardly anybody that goes through Kotor 3's storyline is going to want that.
 RedHawke
02-07-2006, 10:03 PM
you have to understand that i'm looking at this from two perspectives: first the development and writing process. second, i'm looking at how both the hardcore and the average gamer are going to perceive things.

from the developer/writer's standpoint, creating a new character makes more sense because you aren't limited to an established charater. you also aren't constrained to explain why a character has suddenly lost not only their powers, but also whatever they stood for (in this case being lightside or darkside).

from a gamer's perspective, a more cohesive and reasonable storyline is what makes the difference. in this case, you really can't use amnesia since its been done. you can't use being shut off from the Force because that's been done. you also can't look backwards and try to use Revan's or the Exile's backstory because we already know the backstory to those characters. so, now you really aren't left with much options unless those options include the insane and over-the-top ideas, and quite frankly, hardly anybody that goes through Kotor 3's storyline is going to want that.
Thank you stingerhs, you nailed it. :D

@ Vlad to answer your questions you posed to me...

But why would she test the Exile? Tests are made to prepare people for something. Kreia was obviously preparing the Exile for something. And would she really go that far, even though it would kill her? She may be devious. But she's definately not a lunatic.
Kreia was preparing her apprentice so as to challenge her, she used everyone around her to achieve this goal. She knew full well what she was doing. Her happiest moment was when the Exile defeats her, that was everything she worked for. It is the Dark Sith way. The apprentice and master must have a face off at some point. The strong must rule.

Revan's story ended with either reclaiming the Sith Throne or saving the Republic.

The Exile defeating Kreia was the end to the Exile's story.

You seem to foster some false pretenses on just what the characters mean in these games, Revans story is finished, the same applies for the Exile, I'm sorry, these characters story arc's are quite done, all that remains is to answer the questions of their fates... all that is left is to find out weather Revan and The Exile lived happily ever after or died a Sith or Jedi death.

You can very much build a game story for a new PC on this question of our previous 2 characters fates alone, add to it the True Sith Empire and their threat to the weakened Republic, and lastly with the Jedi Order being in a wrecked state and unable to do much... that sounds like a heck of a game to me. Talk about overwhelming odds for us to beat in the third installment!
 igyman
02-08-2006, 4:23 AM
Kreia was preparing her apprentice so as to challenge her, she used everyone around her to achieve this goal. She knew full well what she was doing. Her happiest moment was when the Exile defeats her, that was everything she worked for. It is the Dark Sith way. The apprentice and master must have a face off at some point. The strong must rule.

Revan's story ended with either reclaiming the Sith Throne or saving the Republic.

The Exile defeating Kreia was the end to the Exile's story.

You seem to foster some false pretenses on just what the characters mean in these games, Revans story is finished, the same applies for the Exile, I'm sorry, these characters story arc's are quite done, all that remains is to answer the questions of their fates... all that is left is to find out weather Revan and The Exile lived happily ever after or died a Sith or Jedi death.

You can very much build a game story for a new PC on this question of our previous 2 characters fates alone, add to it the True Sith Empire and their threat to the weakened Republic, and lastly with the Jedi Order being in a wrecked state and unable to do much... that sounds like a heck of a game to me. Talk about overwhelming odds for us to beat in the third installment!

I agree with you about the ''Kreia testing the Exile'' matter and I agree that the Exile's story is most probably over.

On the other hand, no matter what you say, Revan wasn't insignificant, nor did his story end in KoTOR 1. If that were the case, he wouldn't even be mentioned in TSL and he was mentioned a lot, mostly in reference to what happened to him after KoTOR 1 and that wasn't resolved in TSL.
You are right - the question of their fates is what remains to be answered, in what way will it be answered is a different question. Revan could return (sorry, but I'm a lost cause on this until an official announcement arrives), he could only be mentioned, or (and I think this is highly unlikely) the new PC might run into Revan somewhere in the game.

And at last the fact that the Jedi Order was in disarray in TSL doesn't mean it will still be so in KoTOR 3. The Sith Lords who were after the Jedi were defeated in TSL, so there's no reason for the Jedi Order not to be restored.
 RedHawke
02-08-2006, 5:40 AM
I agree with you about the ''Kreia testing the Exile'' matter and I agree that the Exile's story is most probably over.
Progress! Woot! :elephant: (Any excuse to use the dancing pink elephant smily!) :D

On the other hand, no matter what you say, Revan wasn't insignificant, nor did his story end in KoTOR 1.
I never said that Revan was 'insignificant' now did I? :rolleyes:

I said Revan's story is done, all that remains is to find out Revan's fate.

If that were the case, he wouldn't even be mentioned in TSL and he was mentioned a lot, mostly in reference to what happened to him after KoTOR 1 and that wasn't resolved in TSL.
You couldn't not mention Revan in TSL, that would be like saying Revan meant nothing at all, Revan meant something as the deciding factor for KotOR I, and Revan's decision altered the path of the whole galaxy, it will be similar in KotOR III as we will see what the Exile's journey and decisions will have altered the galaxy further. That is all they are needed for.

I expect in KotOR III we will hear/read a lot about Revan and the Exile, since I do believe we will be following their paths once we find out about this new threat.

You are right - the question of their fates is what remains to be answered, in what way will it be answered is a different question.
It will be answered no differently than we found out things about Revan in TSL, RPG's like this are dialog driven games. We will find out things about Revan and the Exile by dialogs and found datapads in KotOR III.

Revan could return (sorry, but I'm a lost cause on this until an official announcement arrives), he could only be mentioned, or (and I think this is highly unlikely) the new PC might run into Revan somewhere in the game.
You can count on Revan being mentioned... Personally, I suspect Revan will be a big topic in KIII.

Though if we actually 'see' Revan it won't be any more than the 'vision' we got in TSL, possibly in cutscenes. With a minor texture tweak to the trademark outfit for a possible LS Revan, but it can never be more than that. ;)
 igyman
02-08-2006, 5:48 AM
Though if we actually 'see' Revan it won't be any more than the 'vision' we got in TSL, possibly in cutscenes.

Are you refering to the vision of Revan in Ludo Kressh's tomb, or is there another vision I'm not aware of (I sure hope there isn't 'cause I recently finished TSL for the 4th time and I don't want to play it again just yet)?
 RedHawke
02-08-2006, 5:53 AM
Are you refering to the vision of Revan in Ludo Kressh's tomb, or is there another vision I'm not aware of (I sure hope there isn't 'cause I recently finished TSL for the 4th time and I don't want to play it again just yet)?
That would be the vision... ;)
 igyman
02-08-2006, 5:58 AM
Suspected as much, but thought I should check just in case.
 Eelyn Tikalm
02-08-2006, 1:09 PM

I've been thinking about the Revan and Exile stories (that RPG gaming system). Isn't it just sad that in K1 you put all your life efforts to save/destroy the galaxy, and then in K2 you are just being mentioned as some misterious guy...? That'll probably be the same case in K3. I mean, you spend let's say 70 good hours in K2 to spread the good/kill everybody, and then you are GONE in K3, or at least mentioned as "that guy"...
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-08-2006, 1:59 PM
Then why did she mention the True Sith? Why did the Exile leave?

The Exile defeating Kreia was the end to the Exile's story. <----Wrong

If the Exile's story had ended with him defeating Kreia, the story would have ended with him staying to reform the Jedi Order. But instead of that, Obsidian chose that the Exile must fight, and therefor, must remain.

The way Obsidian made the ending and the entire hidden plot of KOTOR 2, it seems more likely that their stories have only begun.

You can very much build a game story for a new PC on this question of our previous 2 characters fates alone, add to it the True Sith Empire and their threat to the weakened Republic, and lastly with the Jedi Order being in a wrecked state and unable to do much... that sounds like a heck of a game to me.
What Republic? What Jedi Order?
There are two quotes that strongly barrel down that 'Republic and Jedi are in peril' theory. They were in KOTOR 2.

According to the entire calculus, the Republic will collapse in, approximatley, one month. Mainly due to the lack of both law integrity and economic crisis.
The room of the silver fountains remains empty, because there are no Jedi.
Surely, you must remember these words. So that means that there will be NO Republic or Jedi Order to be in crisis in the first place. The only option that remains is to get the two characters that want to fight against the True Sith: Revan and Ry'ghol.

Talk about overwhelming odds for us to beat in the third installment!

RedHawke, I don't want to insult you or be in conflict with you. I respect you, but please let's not take this too personally.
 The Source
02-08-2006, 4:43 PM
I am tired of Revan and Exile. I think there will be a 100% new character. I hope so anyway.
 JediMaster12
02-08-2006, 5:26 PM
But Revan and the Exile will be involved in the storyplot. That is a must!
 Darth InSidious
02-08-2006, 5:34 PM
I like the idea someone I've forgotten came up with: You can play either as a new character, or as either Revan and/or the Exile.
 igyman
02-08-2006, 5:38 PM
That means you'd have three separate character campaigns and I don't think the developers will bother themselves with making a game that complex, I'm not even sure they could.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-08-2006, 5:47 PM
I like the idea someone I've forgotten came up with: You can play either as a new character, or as either Revan and/or the Exile.
That idea came out a long time ago. I was one of those that supported it (I am even now). That would be for the best. Too bad no one would do it.
I thought of this when I considered that when choosing Revan or the Exile in the character creation screen, they have different campaigns. Then I added in my thoughts that maybe even a third character could be inserted along with them.

It's a long shot... But it would be great, also that they come in contact with each other and become party members (depending on the PC).
 igyman
02-08-2006, 5:51 PM
This would, first of all, mean that the PC would have to get a voice, including male/female Revan/Exile. I mean whoever you chose, if you meet the other two and they become members of your party, you'll have to be able to talk with them just as with the rest of the party members.
 The Source
02-08-2006, 6:02 PM
That idea came out a long time ago. I was one of those that supported it (I am even now). That would be for the best. Too bad no one would do it.
I thought of this when I considered that when choosing Revan or the Exile in the character creation screen, they have different campaigns. Then I added in my thoughts that maybe even a third character could be inserted along with them.

It's a long shot... But it would be great, also that they come in contact with each other and become party members (depending on the PC).
That would be an excellent idea. Therefore, you will be able to control the fates of both characters. At the beginning of the game you will be the Exile, and you free Revan from something. When you setup your characters, at the very beginning, you will be able to choose both of their head pieces, gender, alignment, etc... After you get both characters in your party, it would only be a matter of playing the game out. If you think about it, the characters in KotOR I and II are allready setup that way. Except, this time you will be able to control two character's design and outcome.
 stingerhs
02-08-2006, 6:09 PM
^^^^
yeah, and then we can get caught up in a storyline that will numb our butt-cheeks for 80+ hours. :rolleyes:

what you're talking about is an absolutely massive game. games with an epic feel are one thing, but the scale you're talking about is beyond epic.
 Vladimir-Vlada
02-08-2006, 6:11 PM
what you're talking about is an absolutely massive game. games with an epic feel are one thing, but the scale you're talking about is beyond epic.
Exatcly, my man! :D :D :D
 The Source
02-08-2006, 6:17 PM
^^^^
yeah, and then we can get caught up in a storyline that will numb our butt-cheeks for 80+ hours. :rolleyes:

You could do this in 40hrs.
1. You would know the Exile's fate, for you are playing the Exile.
2. The only two other mysteries would be "Where is Revan?, "What is the new threat?"

Simple. If you remember KotOR I, you had to figure out two things. "Where are the Star Maps?" and "What is the StarForge?".

Revan could be your key to finding out what this threat is. The only addition to Revan will be a voice over that will be determined by his/her gender.

Edit: Add:
Oh wait. In KotOR I, Revan did have a voice over.
 stingerhs
02-08-2006, 6:55 PM
^^^^
and you can do that without having to play as Revan and the Exile. it wouldn't be out of the scope of a story to include Revan or the Exile at some point as NPC's.
 Jackel
02-08-2006, 6:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kreia
The room of the silver fountains remains empty, because there are no Jedi.

Surely, you must remember these words. So that means that there will be NO Republic or Jedi Order to be in crisis in the first place. The only option that remains is to get the two characters that want to fight against the True Sith: Revan and Ry'ghol.

"No Jedi". Yet we find Jedi through the game. Seems like someone was doing a little bit of lying there. No Jedi indeed. So what were Vrook, Zal etc if not Jedi.
Page: 2 of 5