Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

You've played the demo. Will you buy the game?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
01-22-2006, 5:33 PM
Personally, having played the demo, I was left stunned by what I had seen in what was, for me, and extremely short demo. Having told Lucasarts my thoughts on Friday and chatting to them about the Mods already, (which shocked them that Mods were out so quickly) did leave me a little disappointed because the demo was just too short.

Theres been alot of debate about Mods/Hacks (call it what you will) but for me, this has delivered the kind of experience we should have got in the demo itself.

Watching the large capitol ships in action, learning how the galactic map works has put this game at the top of my list and ive actually REMOVED Rebellion/Supremacy from my 2nd CD drive for the first time in over a year.

What have your overall thoughts been about the demo? Was the demo enough for you to decide, or did the Mods make your decision?

DMUK
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-22-2006, 5:46 PM
Yes, I will buy it. But not immediately...not enough money. But, the demo is pretty sweet so far. I have to yet to check out the mods.
 baraghIV
01-22-2006, 6:49 PM
I will definitely buy it. I think I would probably buy it without the mods out so far anyway, but seeing the mods already released shows how eager the modding community is and looks promising for the replayability of this game. I'm still playing Operation Flashpoint and bought the expansion pack thanks to that game's modability, I hope I can look forward to the same long term experience with this game.
 Jamps
01-22-2006, 7:59 PM
I accidentally checked 'with mods', even though I never even used a mod for the demo. Sorry about that.

Anyway, after playing the space level I'm definately going to get this game. It feels just like the movies, all of the ships swarming everywhere while the capitol ships exchange fire. Just a great game.
 wedge2211
01-22-2006, 9:24 PM
Sure the demo doesn't show us everything--it's not supposed to. It's at least given me enough of a taste of the game to confirm that I'll really enjoy doing grand strategy and small-scale tactics in this game. It's like Force Commander plus Rebellion, only done by guys who really know how to do RTS!
 JarJars Eyeball
01-23-2006, 6:44 AM
when i first downloaded and it got into the space battle, i was a bit disapointed about the lack of detail (cant see fighters unless you look very carefully) but when i put it into cinamatic mode, it remminded me off X-Wing alliance (which is enought for me to buy the game on its own)
 clone_troopa
01-23-2006, 6:59 AM
It's like Force Commander plus Rebellion, only done by guys who really know how to do RTS!

Well said! I so agree with you on that! :smash:
 Snafu7
01-23-2006, 9:12 AM
Gonna buy it right away, no questions asked, this is the RTS I've been waiting for.
 zalcron
01-23-2006, 11:57 AM
i will most certainly buy it, i have been playing rebellion/supremacy for years and this offers the first decent strategy alternative to it, plus it looks visualy amazing
 DarkLord1981
01-23-2006, 1:48 PM
well, i am gonna wait until what other people think, because the last lucasarts game i got was Kotor II and boy was that utter trash.....so i will see what other people think of it.
 CondorFalco
01-23-2006, 2:41 PM
Prolly buy it, although I prefer RPGs at the min to RTSs and FPSs, since I quickly get tired of both the last two - and since Oblivion is hopefully comming out in March, I may hang back, but we'll see. However, I will differnately be modding EAW, so I am pleased at what I have seen so far.
 Spartan025
01-24-2006, 7:21 PM
I ll definitly buy it I was waiting since July 2005 and there not turning back
the demo was great the game will be even better
I m a big fan of Star Wars and RTS so the only way it could be ruined:
Star Wars Empire at War: Out of Stock NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
 Darth Scaer
01-24-2006, 11:11 PM
The demo worked for me! I'll get the game the day it's out, and hopefully not put it down for some time. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the mod community develops for the game.
 Astrotoy7
01-26-2006, 6:28 AM
lolz... I'll probably buy it but alot of that has to do with the fact that there isnt anything else new in sw gaming(aprt from BFII). If KOTOR3 was announced, Id probably give EAW a miss and wait till it hits the bargain bin.

yeah, ive played the demo. Look pretty, but not being a huge RTS fan it just felt like I was playing SWGB+Force Commander+Rebellion souped up for 2006.

we'll just have to wait n see :) Im sure some great mods will make it more appealing

mtfbwya
 Jeff
01-27-2006, 12:34 AM
I would buy the full game even if they didn't release a demo.
 HaDeZ Odium
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I think I expected more from the demo and from the game....the mods made me realize the demo doesnt do the retail justice. Im a big rts gamer and after loving games like warhammer 40000, ground control 2 , SC:Bw....I kinda expected larger maps, more strategies....the demo made me feel like the person with the most units will win rather than the better tactics. Im on the fence with this one. If I do buy the game it will be do to what the modders showed me whats possible with this game and not the demo( which I played 7 times without the mods haha) KOTOR3?!?!?!?! : )
 Thondorr
01-28-2006, 1:39 AM
I will definetly buy the game, and convince as many as I can to buy it too. :)
 Kurgan
01-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I think the demo really didn't tell me much about the game... without the mods. The mods have helped me see a lot more about the game and helped me towards making a decision. There are a few bugs that are very annoying that I hope they fix. If they give this game the kind of support that I'm thinking they will from the vibe I've gotten from the Petroglyph guys and their team thus far, I think that stuff will be fixed, if it hasn't already been (since the demo is supposedly an older build).

With that in mind, I think I would probably get the full game. It reminds me a lot of Emperor: Battle for Dune, which was a great game that I also purchased back in the day. It may be worth it. I may need to buy some more RAM to get the most out of the game though... and I'm a little strapped for cash right now with having to pay for books and school supplies and such.

The big draws for me will be modability and multiplayer. Modability seems to be a given, and multiplayer we have no idea about. If it's big enough and supported enough, it could really end up being a great part of the game. If it's small and unsupported (like say, Republic Commando) then it could be one of those games that doesn't have long term appeal for me. The RAM to reduce long load times would basically be required for multiplayer, especially if you can join a game in progress...
 meh_cd
01-28-2006, 2:02 PM
Big. Fat. Yes. The multiplayer campaign should seal the deal for ANY Star Wars fan.
 Kingbee
01-28-2006, 2:27 PM
Yes, yes and yes. I will most definitely buy the game. Without our support the developer will not make anymore expansions or other new games. I can't wait for the full retail version to come out. I'm going crazy just playing the demo and the version with the mod.
 Apocalypse|TFL
01-28-2006, 8:42 PM
For me the demo was way too small considering it was a 700+ download, so admittedly I had my doubts. After using one of the mods (forget which, currently at v2.2) It showed me I was wrong to doubt and now I can't wait for the game.
 MagnaGuard
01-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I said I won't be buying it. My computer is too slow, but the demo is okay.
 WNxAnger
01-29-2006, 2:49 AM
I have yet to play the mod, but after every thing every one has told me, I am more convinced then ever to play it. The only thing that the demo lacked truly was an Empire side as well in my opinon.
 PrivateMiles
01-29-2006, 7:56 PM
I pre-oredered the game, the demo was very good. I can't wait to use every unit at my command
 Orao
01-30-2006, 9:36 AM
As far as I'm concerned they can say thx to moders out there for not making me cancel my order for this game. The original mod was should I say empty. Yes we had tutorials and some other things but the main thing wasn't there. For about a year they are bombarding us with screenshots where you can see large battles in sapce and on the ground. And do we get in the demo ? 720 MB file with only one little space battle and something which we should call the ground battle and the worst thing is that the battle is on the desert planet while ther is much better maps in the game.

There is no ISD nor Mon Calamari cruiser to command. AT-AT was there but we had only one. They let us play only as the rebelion and the galactic AI was turned off.

What's the point of all that ? The marketing guy who made this decision has made a poor marketing decision. The demo in such state was worse than no demo at all.

The demo is meant to give you the taste of the game to try it to see if is your style of game and not to tell you " well you know that is in the final version" or "we turned it off on purpose".

Honnestly when I finished the official demo I was like "what the hell is that all, is that what I've been waiting for since they announced it the very first time ?"

Then with mods released I decided to give it another try and boy I was happy when I was able to control the ISDs and to actually have an ennemy who will attack my planets.

Petro guys you should be gratefull to moders because I'm sure that I'm not the only one who seriously considered canceling his order for this game after the official demo.
 intar
01-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Ah... the perfect opportunity to get this off my chest!

If it weren't for the mods like Bryant's and Chriz', I would have passed this game up. The "stock" demo was pathetically short and did not truly show what the game was about. What I needed was a short campaign mode that let me play a good length game with a wide variety of units available. With the above mentioned mods, all of my concerns regarding what EAW was about were satisfied, and with the active modding community eagerly awaiting the full release, the prospects of a long playing life seem high.

I have been finding myself attracted to games that are "moddable". Games like TESIII: Morrowind, Operation Flashpoint, and the Unreal series have all been personal favorites since the extensibility of those titles is limited only by the imagination and interest of the community at large. These are all games that I have played from release and continue to play today. With the PC games industry following Hollywood's "rehash of old trash" policy, it's good to see that some developers still value creativity and the end user community.

What truly makes good games great is the ability for the community to "improve" (or not) the game at large. Also, the response of Petroglyph in regards to these mods also pushed me over the "fence" to move toward pre-ordering the title. I REALLY like to see developers support the modding community rather than condemn them.

One last thing: If Petroglyph releases an expansion pack, please make it an "EXPANSION" that adds to the original game and not a separate game. I hate it when developers do that!
 Jason91
02-03-2006, 2:49 AM
i FELL IN LOVE WITH IS GAME THE MNIUTE I SAW A PIC OF IT I JUMPED FOR JOY CUS I'M A HUGE STARWARS N.E.RD LOLZ and i love rts's so i immediately put this down on my wishlist i just hope to god that i get the collectors eddition here is australia cus if not i won't be a happy chappy but oh well i'll get retail version neway

Jason91
 sven8136
02-03-2006, 8:25 AM
Mods - Until I saw how easily and fast modders go (even with the demo), I was just blowing this off as another "Star Wars" money grab title. It still has a lot of work, imo, but maybe the modders will create something close to what I wish the game to be like.
 Nakatomi2010
02-04-2006, 6:20 PM
Honestly? Back when Westwood made those C&C games all I could think was "Man, I wish LucasArts would outsource to them to make a Star Wars game..." And that day came, and the fruits of their labours is nearly among us...

I've got it pre-ordered, but I'll get it sooner if I can... But definatly buying it...
 skatea23
02-05-2006, 1:12 AM
as is - absolutely NOT.

this is the most unstable piece of trash game i have ever had the misforune of playing. the quality of this demo is not even high enough to be considered a beta version, given the frequency in which it crashes. this will be the first SW game i do not buy.
 Iamme
02-05-2006, 1:32 AM
You're a battlefront fan and complain about EaW crashing? LOL!
Try making sure your system is stable, the game runs really smooth and crashless on this end, and I'm modded out the butt!
 skatea23
02-05-2006, 2:50 AM
Battlefront runs smooth as hell... never lag, never bugs, and certainly never crashes. Both 1 and 2. In fact all games i play run perfectly smooth. My system is far mroe power than i need, and has been stable since built. my problem is solely with EAW which cannot play a single land map. the most hits in a single forum on the lucasarts EAW forum site shows that this is a common problem, and certainly a demo that can't run is a sure indication of what's to come. so unless the demo gets fixed, no i won't be buying the game, since it's not like i can return it.

i actually tried using mods in case that would help, but it did not. Every time i start a land map, bam... crash. However, sometimes, i crash before that. Thre weirdest thing is this only started after i played the whole thing through once. go figure. but reinstalling helped not.
 boinga1
02-10-2006, 7:01 PM
I have to say I won't be buying. For starters, I've always had trouble enjoying RTS games - I usually get bored in a few weeks after buying them. Furthermore, I'm just not understanding Eaw. I can't win battles, can't coordinate my forces quickly, and the friendly AI is (imo) terrible. The space battles are almost as bad, but at least I can manage them.
 TheSarge2
02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
like the demo, but hate to say it - there's nothing new here.....only difference between this and other games just like it, it's set in the SW universe...
Page: 1 of 1