Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Big In 2006?

Page: 1 of 1
 starmark2k
12-29-2005, 8:48 AM
This is just a general thread about what people think is going to be big in the year 2006? It's just around the corner and pretty much all the games and movie which are coming have been announced. So what game will reign supreme on the gaming charts and which movies are going to break the box office? Also with all the next gen consoles going to be on sale next year who do you think will win it?

Obviously there is going to be some bias for E@W in the game stakes but try to think past it.

Personally i think one of the big movies next year is going to be X-men 3, Although it will proberly be beaten by films like Pirates of the Carribien 2 i think it will still be best in terms of story.

As for Consoles i feel the XBOX 360 will win this time round as it seems to have the better games.

And i know i'm bias but E@W is going to be the Must have game of 06.
 Jan Gaarni
12-29-2005, 9:34 AM
There's only one game I have plans for buying next year, and that is EaW. :)

Possible expansion for WoW ofcourse, but that's not really a game in itself so I don't include it. ;)

Other than that I have nothing else in my sights for next year.
 DarthMaulUK
12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
You know. I'm pretty worried about how Empire at War will perform in 2006. Already, EA have wheeled out their PR wagon for BFME 2 with every PC magazine carrying some kind of information, Febs PC Gamer again has another preview.

PC Zone released info about EaW earlier in the year (Jan/Feb) and havent muttered a word since, and apart from the smallest of columns in Jan 2006 edition of PC gamer, nothing else has appeared.

Big games for 2006? Supreme commander, Quake Wars and if they get it right, Namcos Warhammer. Spore probably will do very well also.

DMUK
 Foshjedi2004
12-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Did you see the 2006 Preview in PC Gamer? Spore got an Entire Page so did Quake Wars. EAW got less than half a page!!! LEC are shunning the game completely.
 Jan Gaarni
12-29-2005, 1:43 PM
Uuu, yeah, forgot about Supreme Commander. May need to take a look at that one when it comes out. :)
 popcorn2008
12-29-2005, 3:41 PM
I know EaW is going to be my must have for '06 but I am worried that LEC isnt doing a good job marketing. They better get more information out January and early Febuary or the sells wont be that big. Im sure a lot of people want this game, but many probably dont even know it exist.
 starmark2k
12-29-2005, 3:47 PM
They'll proberly be some T.V spots a week before release along with the flash ads on sites like IGN.com and Gamespot.com. Then there's the ads in all the gaming magazines and 'Lads mags' which will come out on the issue of the month of its release. So i don't think we have to much to worry about on advertising as it is still a bit early, most casual gamers don't know games are coming out untill they are released anyway.
 Snafu7
12-29-2005, 7:20 PM
Well, EaW is gonna be huge IMO, and Halo 3 is apparently being released on 6/1/06 for the 360 according to Games Underground(not sure whether or not it's a reliable source but other than that, I've heard sometime in Q2) so I'm sure that will be huge as well.
 The Doctor
12-29-2005, 8:56 PM
I think that World of Warcraft, although I myself dislike Warcraft in general, will be big. But I think the game of 2006 will be either Empire at War or, sadly, Halo 3.
 BattleDamage
12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
For me, it will be EaW obviously, the legend zelda twilight princess,and silent hunter 4.
lol quite the varied selection, but I am quite a varied gamer> :)
 Hallucination
12-29-2005, 11:21 PM
But I think the game of 2006 will be either Empire at War or, sadly, Halo 3.
Uhh, Halo 3 hasn't even been announced yet.
 BattleDamage
12-29-2005, 11:26 PM

ahh, but it will, it will...

and yea, it already has I'm pretty sure,4 the 360, check IGN theyve got a huge page on it, I just havent bothered 2 check it out cuz i think halo sux.....
 popcorn2008
12-30-2005, 1:10 AM
Yeah I think I saw somewhere that Halo 3 has been announced for Xbox 360. But yes it will definetely be a hit, but Im hoping EaW is as well.
 The Doctor
12-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Microsoft won't let the franchise die now. It made them too much money. Even if it hasn't been anounced, they will make it.
 starmark2k
12-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Microsoft won't let the franchise die now. It made them too much money. Even if it hasn't been anounced, they will make it.

Somthing like that is like death and taxes, Inevitable. But i'm not sure if it will be released in 2006 as its going to be a flagship game for Microsoft and the 360 so i would think they would spend more time on it.
 Hallucination
12-31-2005, 12:42 AM
I didn't say it would die, I said it hasn't been announced yet. It might be coming out in 2010 for all we know.
 Sabretooth
12-31-2005, 12:51 AM
Sabre's Excellent Predictions for the Year 2006 (You all owe me $50 for reading this)

1. Wikipedia will double in size.
2. Firefox 2 and Firefox 2.5 will be released.
3. More people shall hail Firefox.
4. Lucasforums will have the usual "Newgameuserflood"
5. PS3, XBOX and Rev will compete hard, but I foresee that PS3 will win, after it's prices drop.
6. The Rev will be just about as famous as Gamecube.
7. Atleast 2 new consoles will be announced by relatively unknown companies.
8. Sequels for several games will be announced.
9. Terragen will be further advanced.
10. More new, free programs will be released over the web.
11. Microsoft will release Vista, then hold back distribution after some problems, before re-releasing.
12. nVidia will reveal a new secret product, as will AMD.
13. On January 13, people will die.
14. Star Wars will lay relatively dormant, but a new game, or games will be announced in the second half.
15. Atleast two new natural calamities will make news next year.
16. Atleast one new video game will make news.
17. Atleast one new video game will break the limits of the current gaming world.
18. My post count will increase by atleast one pos.
19. Lucasforums will not change it's name.
20. A new version of atleast one software will change the computing world.
 BattleDamage
12-31-2005, 10:02 AM

Awww, whats wrong with cube its got RS games on it......

On January 13, People will die

Thats my birthday

I'll just drink the prospect of that many people dying off....... :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:
 starmark2k
12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Sabre's Excellent Predictions for the Year 2006 (You all owe me $50 for reading this)

1. Wikipedia will double in size.
2. Firefox 2 and Firefox 2.5 will be released.
3. More people shall hail Firefox.
4. Lucasforums will have the usual "Newgameuserflood"
5. PS3, XBOX and Rev will compete hard, but I foresee that PS3 will win, after it's prices drop.
7. Atleast 2 new consoles will be announced by relatively unknown companies.
8. Sequels for several games will be announced.
9. Terragen will be further advanced.
10. More new, free programs will be released over the web.
11. Microsoft will release Vista, then hold back distribution after some problems, before re-releasing.
12. nVidia will reveal a new secret product, as will AMD.
13. On January 13, people will die.
14. Star Wars will lay relatively dormant, but a new game, or games will be announced in the second half.
15. Atleast two new natural calamities will make news next year.
16. Atleast one new video game will make news.
17. Atleast one new video game will break the limits of the current gaming world.
18. My post count will increase by atleast one pos.
19. Lucasforums will not change it's name.
20. A new version of atleast one software will change the computing world.

The Thread is 'what will be big in 2006' not the 'lets state what will obviouly happen providing the earth doesn't explode or the aliens don't invade.' thread
 Commander Obi-Wan
12-31-2005, 11:59 AM
I am anticipated for BFME II and EaW.......those the games I am buying.
 The Doctor
12-31-2005, 3:19 PM
It might not be that to a lot of people, but I think that the new Star Trek MMORPG will be big among Star Trek gamers. I know I'm gonna get a copy.
 starmark2k
12-31-2005, 3:22 PM
^^ Sorry Doctor but that game isn't released untill Q1 2007 if all goes to plan, But I'll be there with my phaser on its release date in the UK.
 The Doctor
12-31-2005, 3:29 PM
^ Damn. And here I was getting my hopes up. I hate it when that happens.
 Snafu7
12-31-2005, 8:49 PM
But i'm not sure if it will be released in 2006 as its going to be a flagship game for Microsoft and the 360 so i would think they would spend more time on it.

But Bungie would have been working on it long before the 360 was released(if it is planned for a 2006 release) but if they do release it in 2006 it will probably be Q4(contradictory to the June 1st release that GamesUnderground is talking about).
 lukeiamyourdad
12-31-2005, 9:18 PM
Hmmm... I don't know what to say... Ah yes, apart from E@W, I'm waiting for someone to announce KotOR 3. I mean, after E@W, what's left for LEC but KotOR?

...someone better not reply SWG...
 Darth_Extas
01-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Sorry to say but... SSB:Revolution, For the Nintendo Revolution of course, did you know how many years SSBM has been selling? it is astounding for a Nintendo game. As well of course EaW & other RTS games that are coming out. "Halo 3" possibly. Any other games in developement I have seen e.g. games that are nearly beta right now or within the next few months.
 popcorn2008
01-01-2006, 1:09 AM
Hmmm... I don't know what to say... Ah yes, apart from E@W, I'm waiting for someone to announce KotOR 3. I mean, after E@W, what's left for LEC but KotOR?

...someone better not reply SWG...
I second that notion. I hope KOTOR 3 is announced this next year, and maybe released in fall/winter...I know that's asking a lot for LA.

I also predict....4 new SWG expansions. Of them, three will be cheapy download from the internet and one will actually be released on CD. Oh and about everyone on there will be jedi by the end of January.
 Jeff
01-01-2006, 6:11 PM
EaW will be huge, that's definitely what I'm waiting for most. But the nintendo Revolution comes out this year sometime too, and I'm looking forward to that very much. As for movies, PotC 2 I will definitely want to see.
 darthfergie
01-01-2006, 11:53 PM
No particular order...
Madden 4,000,007
Neverwinter Nights 2 (http://pc.ign.com/objects/674/674385.html)
EAW
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (http://pc.ign.com/objects/702/702491.html)
HL2 Aftermath (http://pc.ign.com/objects/740/740555.html) (the X-pac of the year nominee)
NFL Head Coach (http://pc.ign.com/objects/776/776738.html) (please?)
The mythical "Duke Nukem Forever" (http://pc.ign.com/objects/003/003880.html)
Sam And Max :-) (http://pc.ign.com/objects/771/771965.html)
Supreme Commander (http://pc.ign.com/objects/755/755287.html)
Tomb Raider: Legends (yeah right)
 Hendy
01-03-2006, 2:19 PM
IMO the big PC games of 2006 will be:

1. The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion
2. Empire at War
3. Supreme Commander
4. Gothic 3
5. Battle For Middle Earth 2
6. STALKER
7. Neverwinter Nights 2
8. Dungeons and Dragons:Online
 Xtreme Muppet
01-03-2006, 6:12 PM
I am personally looking forward to see how the next round between the big three turns out. Can't wait to see what we will be able to do with the Revolution's controller!
Page: 1 of 1