Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

More hilt options

Page: 1 of 2
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 7:35 PM
I was thinking that since people were talking about enhancing things for KOTOR 3, maybe the lightsaber hilt options should be enhanced as well, not just single or double, but also hilt designs based on the fixture combinations. I've always looked at the hilts and saw nothing but a white stick with lines of gray on it and I kept thinking of how bland it looked. Maybe they could make it so that you could not only customize crystal colors and single or double hilts, they could add the option of building or taking apart and rebuilding multiple lightsabers at the workbench. I think that this option could bring high hopes for the KOTOR series.
 90SK
12-17-2005, 7:48 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind. Nothing too overtly complex, but something more unique to add veriety to the game, sure. Or at least make there be several standard saber hilts, instead of the one utterly boring one.
 Manny C
12-17-2005, 7:49 PM
Absolutely, Ive always wanted to design my own lightsaber hilt, and i actually expected it to happen when the trainers in kotor 1 say "now approach the workbench and you can construct your own lightsaber". Considering that the lightsaber is supposed to be such a personal thing for a jedi, it should be distinguishable from the rest of the lightsabers around the galaxy. Not only that, it could affect the combat as well. Using lightsabers not constructed by you should have penalties i reckon (or rather, lightsabers constructed by the player should have bonuses).
 RobQel-Droma
12-17-2005, 8:22 PM
As for a game like JA, absolutely. For KotOR, I don't really care. It would be ok, but I don't really care if it is in there or not.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 8:22 PM
Yes exactly, that way its seems a bit more 'personal' than 'sure...yea...it's your 'personal' lightsaber'.
 The Doctor
12-17-2005, 8:40 PM
Maybe take some of the hilts that were created through modding and make them standard hilts (I believe they did something similar in TSL - taking a modded item from KotOR and putting it in TSL).
 Manny C
12-17-2005, 9:13 PM
thats a good idea doc, but why not implement it into the game? it wouldnt be that hard i reckon and it would just add a nice level of personalisation. For the hilts of sabers you find, it could just be a random generator for the different parts of the hilt, or even keep the old one, i wouldnt mind that much.
 Achilles
12-17-2005, 9:19 PM
They could do it quite easily, but they would have to ditch the ability to change color crystals. In JA you picked your hilt and your color before the game started. You'd have to do the same in KotOR if you want that kind of flexibility.
 Manny C
12-17-2005, 9:22 PM
u reckon? why not just keep the crystal system the same? it doesnt HAVE to be the same as JA
 90SK
12-17-2005, 9:24 PM
It wouldn't work with the current game engine. They'd have to modify it to adapt to a versatile saber system.
 Manny C
12-17-2005, 9:27 PM
oh really, damn that sucks. Well somehow i doubt they're gonna use the same engine again, what with new generation of consoles and everything.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 9:32 PM
I agree, with the new engine around, the old one is practically eligible to be declared antique.
 90SK
12-17-2005, 9:40 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. We'll probably be seeing significant changes to the engine, though I think it'll still be the same in a general sense. Nothing drastic.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 9:43 PM
Of course you know i was being sarcastic, the engine difference cant have that much of a change. I'm just saying that they dont really need to use the old engine now that they can use the new one.
 90SK
12-17-2005, 9:46 PM
No, yeah. I get it; I was just saying that we’ll probably get a really overhauled version of the D20. Too much change doesn't go over well with fans, or so I hear.
 FiEND_138
12-17-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't really care.

If they do, cool.
If they don't, cool. We still have the modding community.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Well yea too much change at once isnt good for the fans, but a little bit at a time may be an alright thing to do, plus they dont have to change styles although that would be cool, but changing the hilts options first would be a plus, that way it doesnt affect the d20 system at all, but the hilt still says 'I built this'.
 Arбtoeldar
12-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I'd love to see the USM incorporated into KotOR III
 90SK
12-17-2005, 11:26 PM
I don't think that'll happen...for various reasons. ;)

Something like the USM, sure.
 Manny C
12-18-2005, 1:26 AM
whats the USM?
 90SK
12-18-2005, 1:35 AM
 Emperor Devon
12-18-2005, 1:45 AM
I voted yes. All Sith and Jedi have their own hilts. Plus, it looks kind of weird to see everybody using the same ones. Hilts are the second best part of the lightsaber, in my opinion.

However, I do not want to simply choose a hilt at the main menu. I think it would be best if you could gather peices of metal, and simply weld them into your own hilt. There'd be a nearly limitless variety, and would make your lightsaber seem much more personalized.
 Darth Windu
12-18-2005, 2:03 AM
What I would like to see is basically the game containing a certain number of sabre hilt designs. Then, when you get a new lightsabre, the game randomises what design it will be.

It would also be cool is personalised sabres, like Freedon Nadd's sabre in TSL, looked unique instead of just looking like a standard sabre.
 YertyL
12-18-2005, 7:01 AM
I think it would be very cool - I do like the idea of customizing the look of your robe, saber ec. to fit you appearance - makes characters somehow more individual (or at least makes the individuality more noticable :p ).
How it should be done is another question though :P
Well , maybe we can at least hope for a wider variety of sabers, ala USM or JA.
 Darca Lar
12-18-2005, 9:15 AM
Well I was thinking like you start the game at the beginning of your training, and along the way you find a number of fixtures, and you can only select one of each when its time to build it, and the rest are discarded, then as the game progresses you can keep all later fixtures found to build more sabers to your liking.
 Emperor Devon
12-18-2005, 1:47 PM
It would also be cool is personalised sabres, like Freedon Nadd's sabre in TSL, looked unique instead of just looking like a standard sabre.

It was actually just a short saber model with an orange-colored blade.
 Darca Lar
12-18-2005, 3:11 PM
Yea, if you take other short lightsabers and give it an orange crystal, it'd look exaclty the same, the only difference is that you cant customize Freedon Nadd's.
 RobQel-Droma
12-18-2005, 5:25 PM
Only to an extent, if at all. Maybe kind of what JA had for it, and just that. As for building it from the ground up, like someone said, with different looking parts, I have thought of that myself; But I don't know how hard, complex, or time-taking that would be. The most I am really expecting is maybe a few basic selections.
 Jackel
12-18-2005, 5:59 PM
They could do it quite easily, but they would have to ditch the ability to change color crystals. In JA you picked your hilt and your color before the game started. You'd have to do the same in KotOR if you want that kind of flexibility.
Why not just do it the way the USM did it? Have several models styles but different crystals tied to each one? Pretty sure it could be done easily enough with a little modification to the engine.
 T7nowhere
12-18-2005, 7:45 PM
I think its possible to code lightsabers as completely customizable items. They could Make each part have of the lightsaber have its own seperate mesh, that click together
when added to the appropriate upgrade slot. This method would require your lightsaber to have the 3 basic hilt casing slots full at all times. They could solve the problem that we had with USM by making the color focus crystals also have its own mesh which would be only the blade.

So for a fully functional lightsaber to work you would need 4 parts(separate mesh's)
Color Crystal = Blade mesh
Emitter Fixture = Emitter mesh( where the blade comes out) ;)
Power Cell = Grip casing mesh
Lens = Could be the central mesh part of the hilt casing

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, we can alread specify uti's to use certain mesh's why not ones that work together to make a complete weapon. This method could also be used for Vibroblades and blasters.

IF the devs,(whoever they might be somehow see this post feel free to steal the idea. ;) :p ) wanted to do something like this it would be entirely possible. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done.
 Manny C
12-18-2005, 8:10 PM
oh yeah and imagine how freakin awesome you could make a sith saber look. put sith engravings and blood and stuff on it
 Darth Windu
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
It was actually just a short saber model with an orange-colored blade.
Uh...I know, that was my point. It was supposed to be a unique lightsabre, and yet it looked like every other short sabre in existence.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Absolutely.
A jedi's lightsaber should be as unique as the Jedi himself, or herself.

...or itself.

The more custom the character, the better connection the player has with his/her character.

Thus, more fun.
 JediMaster12
12-19-2005, 11:12 AM
I said yes because I thought that a custom hilt would be neat to have, to make the saber more personalized for the PC. It could also be a modding project. I think someone made hilt designs based on the movies. So in reality, it could go either way, I would just like the devs to finish the story.
 IndianaSolo
12-19-2005, 9:20 PM
I voted "I don't care".

I know a lot of people seem to want this, but I just don't rank this as anywhere near one of the things I'd be disappointed if they didn't impliment.

But I also didn't vote "no" because if they did impliment it, it wouldn't be a feature I'd bemoan either.
 Jae Onasi
12-20-2005, 12:36 AM
I don't really care one way or another on this, either. If they have the time and energy to do individualized lightsabers, fine. I'd use the feature if it's available. Otherwise, I'd rather the devs concentrate on the story first. If they don't have the time to do the customized sabers, I'm not going to be upset, either.
 JediMaster12
12-21-2005, 1:02 PM
Ah, someone who sees more gray than dark or light. Frankly both extremes seem to annoy you.
 Darca Lar
12-21-2005, 9:52 PM
Im not saying id be mad if they didnt implement it into the game, im just saying that having in the game would make the game a bit more enjoyable to players.
 90SK
12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah, it isn't really something that you can say "no" to, unless you're a fan of boring sameness. But it's much more passй in comparison to some other more poignant features that may be implemented.
 PoiuyWired
12-22-2005, 9:30 PM
Well, if its just for the looks its all good, but if its about fancy stuff like fiber-thread linked twin-sabers and tonfa sabers and nunchuku sabers then its a definite NO.

And don't start on the nunchuku saber crab cause thats the worse suggestion ever. >.<
 Rok_stoned
12-27-2005, 4:41 PM
I think that changing hilts is a low priority because of its small effect on you and no effect on the game itself plus its so small; I mean wouldn't you rather have better looking armor than being hung up on a 1/3 of a metre piece of metal? Its so small it doesn't matter!

in my opinion
 ChAiNz.2da
12-28-2005, 10:01 AM
I think that changing hilts is a low priority because of its small effect on you and no effect on the game itself plus its so small; I mean wouldn't you rather have better looking armor than being hung up on a 1/3 of a metre piece of metal? Its so small it doesn't matter!

in my opinion
While I can see your point, take this into consideration.

- Over half of the mod requests are for lightsabers.
- Over half of the technical modding questions we get are how to adjust / change / etc. their lightsaber

"Hung up" as they may be, it's what alot of players are interested in ;)

But, to answer your question.. oh heck ya' I'd love some brand new kick arse armor models :D
 Rok_stoned
12-28-2005, 1:05 PM
Well i havent been in these forums for about half a year so forgive my imputance. :)

But if that many people want them I guess they could do them but I still think it's a waste seeing as how its such a small thing and there are so many o ther aspects of the gsaame that could be improved with a little focus.

The Ideal in my opinion tho is that the company who makes the next KOTOR fixes core problems before moving onto things like lightsabre customization otherwise you and your friends may have a conversation like this.

"Nice lightsabre what does it do?
"looks good."
"nice armor what does it do?
"Thats my McDonalds uniform."

Sith trooper "I'm lovin' it"
 RedHawke
12-29-2005, 12:32 AM
But if that many people want them I guess they could do them but I still think it's a waste seeing as how its such a small thing and there are so many o ther aspects of the gsaame that could be improved with a little focus.

The Ideal in my opinion tho is that the company who makes the next KOTOR fixes core problems before moving onto things like lightsabre customization otherwise you and your friends may have a conversation like this.
Yeah, how about we keep the sabers and armor/robes/clothes like they are and work on completing the game features, and add in more story elements instead of wasting time then on mundane things like armors and sabers.

Like the Influence System... make NPC's actually shift in alignment, and say things accordingly in conversations.
Revealing our impact upon the worlds we go to... so we can return and see what we have done, and no more lame you cannot return crap like they did on Onderon.

Things like this are far more important...
 Clone L68362
12-29-2005, 12:35 AM
It could definitely use it...something as simple as hilt color and a button will be good enough.
 Renegade Puma
12-29-2005, 8:28 AM
I hope they do put this ability in. I would love for my hilt to look just like Count Dooku's saber hilt. IMO his hilt was the freaking most awesome one of all time! They way it curved and all to fit his hand.
 Vibro
12-29-2005, 8:47 AM
I don't think it's necessary for the devs to design uber cool hilts. They're so small, you can barely see them.

Besides, the modders make better hilts than the devs would.
 Jae Onasi
12-29-2005, 8:53 AM
Yeah, how about we keep the sabers and armor/robes/clothes like they are and work on completing the game features, and add in more story elements instead of wasting time then on mundane things like armors and sabers.

Like the Influence System... make NPC's actually shift in alignment, and say things accordingly in conversations.
Revealing our impact upon the worlds we go to... so we can return and see what we have done, and no more lame you cannot return crap like they did on Onderon.

Things like this are far more important...

Oh, what he said! The Onderon thing really drove me crazy (what do you mean I can't go back?! It wouldn't have taken a whole lot more to show just one 'rebuilt' area with a few people commenting on what happened).
I know customizing sabers and such are important to some, but if I could have an extra planet to explore (or even more areas on existing planets to make them more complete) or better working game features overall, that'd be even better. Having a cool saber is fun/important, but if the story stinks so much that you don't want to play the game more than once or twice, then all the customization features don't matter. Then again, I'm the kind of person who went to talk to the Taris arena attendees and duelers after every duel just to see how their conversation changed with each win, so I'm a story kind of person rather than a 'cool stuff' kind of person (neither of which is better than the other--depends how you play the game). Some people like lightsabers/cool weapons or armor, some like dialogue/character interaction, some like lots of enemies/bosses to conquer, we all appreciate a solid, entertaining story, all of it's fun, and I hope the next installment's even better.
 Rok_stoned
12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
"Hung up" as they may be, it's what alot of players are interested in

Hung up as they are, the devs should nkow not to create a game solely on people say they wan't. That would be disasterous! Think how many ten year olds play this game Now if they all came to lucas forums asking for something like... KOTOR to be an FPS for example, and the devs changed it to an FPS that would be no good and a mistake for listening to what people want. Part of devs job is to listen to people, not to get hung up on every word they say and take it to heart.
 Darca Lar
01-15-2006, 6:29 PM
well no they shouldnt take every word into consideration, but they should listen to the people at least and think about it before making any kind of major decisions. I know they should also concentrate more on the story, but im only talking about POSSIBLE changes they could make to improve the LOOKS of the game, not the story; looks come second to story, but im sure thats how it is for everyone.
Page: 1 of 2