Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC Voice?

Page: 1 of 2
 LegoRevan
10-31-2005, 4:17 AM
Hi All,

Okay so my other thread about Face Customization (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=153245) got a little out of control about whether the main character should a voice in KOTOR 3. Most People thought it would be a bit stupid to go through all the answers than hear your character say it back to you and also all that extra voice acting would take up more CDs. Others believe that it would be a cool addition and might spice kotor 3 up abit.

My opinion: i don't really care, but i did like in kotor 1 where if you couldn't open a container your character would say something:)
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-31-2005, 6:05 AM
I would really, really, really like that the PC has voice acting. It would look more natrual, and I think that it should be in. And even if there isn't any voice acting, I won't mind, but it would be nice if there was some. :)
 Alkonium
10-31-2005, 8:12 AM
Yes, that was one of the things I liked in Kotor that they removed from Kotor II. Others included the Rapid Transit.
 fresnosmokey02
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Yes, but only comments not conversations. Plus you should be able to pick the style of voice, such as valiant hero, booding dark type, sociopath, power hungry type, etc. Instead of hearing stuff like "Done" and "I got it" or whatever it should be "None shall leave alive" or "Stand and fight you coward" or "That's gonna leave a scar" etc.
 Prime
10-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't want PC voice overs...
 RobQel-Droma
10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
I just want the kind of "got it!", "damn, poison!", or "that had to hurt" kind of thing.
 Darth333
10-31-2005, 12:10 PM
No, no and no! For three main reasons:

1. This would be a waste of ressources and money and they would have to cut somewhere else. Also, sound files take a lot of space. Just imagine all the space it would require to have voice overs for all the pc replies for a male and female pc (and perhaps some differences voices based on race as in K1). They would surely have to reduce the number of options which would suck ( I want more dialogue options :p )

2. I imagine the pc in a certain way and I would not like to have a fixed voice. In my first Kotor playthrough, I always select the PC that ressembles me the most physically and having voice would be weird. (However, I don't care to have some small and very brief comments like in K1)

3. You first have to read the dialogue options anyways. It would get on my nerves really fast to have to hear all the answers "repeated" afterwards and I bet I would not be the only one... they better leave echoes out of Kotor 3!
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-31-2005, 12:16 PM
^^^
Well how about you can take a microphone and record a certain voice, so that the game detects the sounds and animates the voice inserted according to the text. Maybe hard, but still nice. :)
 jedi3112
10-31-2005, 1:37 PM
No, no and no! For three main reasons:

1. This would be a waste of ressources and money and they would have to cut somewhere else. Also, sound files take a lot of space. Just imagine all the space it would require to have voice overs for all the pc replies for a male and female pc (and perhaps some differences voices based on race as in K1). They would surely have to reduce the number of options which would suck ( I want more dialogue options :p )

3. You first have to read the dialogue options anyways. It would get on my nerves really fast to have to hear all the answers "repeated" afterwards and I bet I would not be the only one... they better leave echoes out of Kotor 3!

I agree, no voice for the dialogue options. Either the dialogue would become very simple, such as yes/no/maybe/possible options, or it would lack options, or both. I also think the echo would probably withdraw my attention from what I was doing (but it may be good for a laugh a few times, after that it just gets irritating).

2. I imagine the pc in a certain way and I would not like to have a fixed voice. In my first Kotor playthrough, I always select the PC that ressembles me the most physically and having voice would be weird. (However, I don't care to have some small and very brief comments like in K1)

Same here. Also I don't consider the brief comments to actually be a voice, I never really could figure out the voice of the PC in K1. Most of the time I didn't even hear the voice, because the comments came whenever I was in combat/poisoned or there was something else happening that caused sound effect files to be played as well, so I heard them instead.

Well how about you can take a microphone and record a certain voice, so that the game detects the sounds and animates the voice inserted according to the text. Maybe hard, but still nice.

That would be a nice idea, however I think it should only be done as comments, not as dialogue. It aslo should be optional, as not everybody has a microphone, and your voice has to fit in. The stereotypical 'voice of the damsel in distress' from some of those medieval movies (or the voice of the queen from Blackadder) would really crack me up when I would hear it as the voice of the Dark Lord of the Sith.

About detecting and animating the voice according to the text would be nearly impossible, there are so many thing to how you sound. Emotions play a role, and the combination of letters. There's not just 26 letters you have to speak up, but there are much more combinations. Also the programming has to detect those combinations. This would make programming the dialogue much more difficult as to what it could be. I mean you can just write a line, and you can just say what is written, but even if you use symbols for the different combinations, you still wonder if something sounds like one thing or another (ie in between 2 registrated sounds). You can't just register an infinite number of sounds so there will always be sounds in between.
 FiEND_138
10-31-2005, 1:47 PM
Agrees with D333.
Mostly on reason #2.
 IndianaSolo
10-31-2005, 1:48 PM
No, I don't.
 The Doctor
10-31-2005, 4:35 PM
No. Voice actors for video games are too expensive to hire, and it would just take up more space.
If, however, it does have voice acting for your character's comments (I refuse to even think that they would be stupid enough to put the voice into the conversations), the voice should change as your allignment shifts, just like your appearence.
 Samurai DD
10-31-2005, 4:44 PM
YES TO VOICE ACTING!!!!!!

*ahem*
 The_Maker
11-01-2005, 5:04 PM
I agree w/D333, some small snips of dialogue here and there for misc things like locked doors and such for K3 but having my character use someone else's voice is just... yeagh :whacked:

I also like the concpet of having types of voices but it would make more sense if they changed according to your characters alignment and class. Having a preset evil/mencaing/caring etc. voice throughout the whole stinking game would get annoying.
 Darthrevan_3
11-01-2005, 10:22 PM
i think i have a good idea but it wud cost alot....
okay, maybe, there is a microphone that comes with the game, and u speak into the microphone and NPC react to what u say!
great idea!!
 RobQel-Droma
11-01-2005, 11:06 PM
^^^ NO no no no no... You know what that would cost, or how much work they would have to do? You would have to pay for the mic, you would have to pay for the extra software. And you know how much time they could spend thinking up all these different responses to what you say? That would never work, they could never do that. You could say anything, and they couldn't spend the time or the money doing something like that! As far as I know, that would be impossible. That is NOT a good idea, it could never work. This isn't real life, it is a video game. They don't have some kind of AI that could respond accurately to whatever you say.
 Vladimir-Vlada
11-02-2005, 2:44 PM
okay, maybe, there is a microphone that comes with the game, and u speak into the microphone and NPC react to what u say!
Oh man... I am sorry, I don't mean to be insultive but that technology doesn't even EXIST. Not to mention how long that would take. And to think of the resources required...

* Sight turns blurry for two seconds and conciousness fails for a second at the thought of it... *
 Darthrevan_3
11-02-2005, 5:21 PM
okay:( it was a bad idea... but I thought it was a good idea at the time, and all my friends are trying to create that technology :bluidea: YAY!
 TheExileReturns
11-02-2005, 9:45 PM
George Lucas has plenty of money to spend on voice actors. I say get a male & female actor to do the parts and that covers all the bases. If anybody doesn't like it they can have an option to disable the voice overs. They had Kelly Hu in Kotor II right? she's a fairly popular actress (Scorpion King, X-men 2.)
 Darth333
11-02-2005, 10:12 PM
George Lucas has plenty of money to spend on voice actors. I say get a male & female actor to do the parts and that covers all the bases. If anybody doesn't like it they can have an option to disable the voice overs. They had Kelly Hu in Kotor II right? she's a fairly popular actress (Scorpion King, X-men 2.)
lol that's not how business works... :p
 spinkle
11-02-2005, 10:18 PM
They should pay me to do it, I'd only charge like $400
 The_Maker
11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
You wish :xp:

I still stand with my previous statement, dialogue for small misc areas but leave the NPCs to do the talking ;)
 MdKnightR
11-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing full voice acting, but at the very least, I want the "Hm, Got it, Damn!, Poisoned" voice comments. I really missed that in TSL and I can't understand why that was cut from the game. All of the other characters have the short voice comments, but not the PC, even though the files do exist in the game.
 RedHawke
11-03-2005, 12:25 AM
^^^^
Probably due to the harried production cycle that OE had to abide by, in the process little things like this were forgotten. Oh well, at least you can enable them if you desire. ;)
 RobQel-Droma
11-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Exactly what some on here has said. Just the "Got it", "Done", "I think I've been poisened", "Damn!" voices. That is all they really need, and I would rather that is as far as they go on it. Leaves time for more important stuff.
 Sabretooth
11-03-2005, 8:54 AM
PC voice acting is something like a lightsaber. It can go right and it can go wrong. Deus Ex, for example went right. JC's monotone voice fit the game and theme perfectly well. Also, the dialogue in DX was something like, half the dialogue in KotOR. PC Voice Acting works to give a movie-like feel. The reason KotOR doesn't have it is, that it is not supposed to resemble a movie. It gives complete control into the player's hands. In Deus Ex, JC handled most lines on his own, while in KotOR, the PC had to pick each and every line.

My Vote: No.
 Prime
11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I guess my issue with it is that it would define my character in a way that I might not like, and that I would rather it be left to my imagination and own character concept.

But if they were going to do it, I'd like to see something like Baldur's Gate 2 were you could select a "sound set" that had phrases in a variety of different voices.
 MdKnightR
11-03-2005, 2:21 PM
I guess my issue with it is that it would define my character in a way that I might not like, and that I would rather it be left to my imagination and own character concept.

But if they were going to do it, I'd like to see something like Baldur's Gate 2 were you could select a "sound set" that had phrases in a variety of different voices.

That would be cool! BTW, I have never played any of the Baldur's titles, are they worth getting?
 Vladimir-Vlada
11-03-2005, 4:20 PM
PC voice acting is something like a lightsaber. It can go right and it can go wrong. Deus Ex, for example went right. JC's monotone voice fit the game and theme perfectly well. Also, the dialogue in DX was something like, half the dialogue in KotOR. PC Voice Acting works to give a movie-like feel. The reason KotOR doesn't have it is, that it is not supposed to resemble a movie. It gives complete control into the player's hands. In Deus Ex, JC handled most lines on his own, while in KotOR, the PC had to pick each and every line.
Well I know that KOTOR is too much to be supported for a dialogue, but still it would be nice to see the main character talk. :)

P.S. There is a flim based on Deus Ex already planned. Didn't surprise me, since the game rocks, the story line is original and JC is a great character.
 Samurai DD
11-03-2005, 4:34 PM
Yeah, Deus EX rocks!!! And the Baldur's Gate system would be cool for KOTOR III. I support voice acting, but it can go real wrong too. So, it should have the option for deactivating voice.
 Prime
11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
That would be cool! BTW, I have never played any of the Baldur's titles, are they worth getting?Absolutely. But keep in mind that they are a little old now. Fun as hell, though...
 JediMaster12
11-11-2005, 1:36 PM
Exactly what some on here has said. Just the "Got it", "Done", "I think I've been poisened", "Damn!" voices. That is all they really need, and I would rather that is as far as they go on it. Leaves time for more important stuff.

That's what i'd like too. As always RobQel-Droma speaks for those who enjoyed KOTOR 1. This I want and hope to get or I will have to lay traps for the devs and tell them to put it in. Maybe use agressive negotiations :lsduel:
 Engma48
11-19-2005, 8:18 PM
i say no the the pc having a voice, but one think i would like to have is if you get to a point in the game where you are not sure what you should do, then you can consult your party members and then will say "well maybe we should ask around this place or that place". i think that would be a kool little add on
 Manny C
11-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I say no because voice acting give your PC a sense of character seperated from the player, making the game more like a movie about some other hero than the RPG idea that the player IS the hero, decreasing the game's immersiveness.
 Vladimir-Vlada
11-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I say no because voice acting give your PC a sense of character seperated from the player, making the game more like a movie about some other hero than the RPG idea that the player IS the hero,
Well you see, KOTOR is a very much plot based game, that has continuations of the story. And instead of starting a new one TSL continued the story of the previous one. So KOTOR isn't a standard RPG.

decreasing the game's immersiveness.
If you ask me... I think that it would increase it. But that's just me.
 Sabretooth
11-20-2005, 12:46 AM
If you ask me... I think that it would increase it. But that's just me.

Vlad is right, that would increase the immersiveness of the game, I don't see how it could be decreased with PC Voice, but that's why I'm opposing it. A lot of RPG games don't give voice-freedom to the PC, to let the player imagine concepts on the PC himself. That way, he can have his own reasons for pursuing the quest. KotOR goes a step further by letting you choose each and every dialogue you make, and hey, if you know what you are going to say, why would you want to hear it from a different voice? Voice acting should only be used if your character is going to have things to say on his own, which I'm sure he won't.
 Manny C
11-20-2005, 1:01 AM
It would decrease it because it detracts from the sense that you are the main character. If some guy's talking then you're not playing as your version of the main character, ur playing as that guy.

I prefer the idea that my character is who I want them to be, not a prewritten character.
 SITHSLAYER133
11-20-2005, 5:43 AM
well maybe a few grunts from taking hits or being poisend but not anymore than that
 Vladimir-Vlada
11-20-2005, 7:10 AM
I prefer the idea that my character is who I want them to be, not a prewritten character.
How does having a voice, make the main character a pre-written one?
 Hallucination
11-20-2005, 11:45 AM
D333 said what I going to say. +10 cool points to D333
@Everyone who wants the ability to deactivation voices so everyone is happy: No.
 ilwugoalie
11-20-2005, 1:36 PM
I say just leave the PC alone. If the character was a pre existing character that actually had a voice... then I would be all for it. But the PC doesnt, once we are in controll, he is an extension of us. So just leave the PC as it is... No Voice
 BattleDog
11-20-2005, 2:27 PM
I loved the PC voice in K1, I don't think it should be choosable, except maybe for accent. I don't want an American accent because the Brit is the darksider.

So yes, just like K1.
 YertyL
11-21-2005, 12:50 PM
I think I prefer leaving "your own"/the PC's voice to one's own imagination and preferences instead of determining it from the game maker's side...
 Rediy
11-21-2005, 2:32 PM
If you want voice-overs for the PC character, read the text outloud as you choose it. Bam, instant, realistic voice acting.

Disk space, cost, having to repeat everything I say... OYE!

I voted, no.
 ilwugoalie
11-21-2005, 4:36 PM
I loved the PC voice in K1, I don't think it should be choosable, except maybe for accent. I don't want an American accent because the Brit is the darksider.

So yes, just like K1.

the character we play with has never had a voice, KoTOR I & II
:blast5:
 JediMaster12
11-21-2005, 6:56 PM
Actually in KOTOR 1 you heard "No problem," "Didn't work," "Damn," "Done," "Mine laid and ready," I could go on. My thing is is that TSL, the PC didn't say anything when you switched characters. What I say is put the original voice files from KOTOR 1 into KOTOR 3, I want to hear something! :forkyou:
 ilwugoalie
11-21-2005, 8:31 PM
Actually in KOTOR 1 you heard "No problem," "Didn't work," "Damn," "Done," "Mine laid and ready," I could go on. My thing is is that TSL, the PC didn't say anything when you switched characters. What I say is put the original voice files from KOTOR 1 into KOTOR 3, I want to hear something! :forkyou:

good catch. for me though, those statements were so comonly repeated and part of the basic gameplay, that I found them unimportant (thats why I forgot about them). but what I have been taking from this thread is people wanting there PC to have dialog, not just oneliners after doing a task..... they had that in TSL.. and as for this i mean when you approached them, they would have a response. dont see a need for anything more.... developers probably saw the same thing... thats y all the small comments were taken out and not putt into TSL
 ilwugoalie
11-21-2005, 8:41 PM

So yes, just like K1.

After the way our Obi Wan from episodes 4,5, & 6 turned into an A*$hole about his fame from the Star Wars movies ( didnt like the fat that he was more famous for them than his other stage and film ventures) i'm kinda against the British, English accents for Jedi or Sith... But I guess I could handle the accent if it was standing at the business end of my light saber

:sithk:
 JediMaster12
11-22-2005, 4:12 PM
Then let me ask you this, why do they all speak with British accents when they're from outer space and there's no Britain?

*Flees before my head pops off*

I just would like to hear the PC say something, I found it neat to hear. An accent would be good but even Han Solo had an American accent. :slsaber:
 Jamps
11-22-2005, 8:00 PM
No way! Voice acting would take away from the character. When I imagine the voice of the character I'm using, he sounds like me.

I usually try to pick the character that looks like me the most (except in KOTOR2 I used the red-headed guy, who looks nothing like me), so he should sound like me too. :P

The little "gah, im poisoned!" or "didn't work." things are alright with me, but full voiceovers for the PC would not only make the game pointlessly longer, but also take us so much space on PC user's harddrives due to all of the dialogue options. Not to mention we could possibly get the most annoying people to do the PC's voice....

But, if they were to include PC voiceovers, I would hope there would be a selection of which voice you have (by listening to samples.), or just choosing "No voice".
Page: 1 of 2