Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

omg, the graphic =[

Page: 2 of 3
 Micahc
09-23-2005, 9:57 PM
I want to educate people on what this game REALLY is - not what LA has hyped it up to be. Maybe if I'm here I can make sure no one is getting cheated out of their $50 with SWBF2 like I was with SWBF.

Yes but unfortunately for you people actually liked the first one anyway and they are also going to get the second one any way. And chances are someone from internet isn't going to change their mind at all
 TK-8252
09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes but unfortunately for you people actually liked the first one anyway and they are also going to get the second one any way. And chances are someone from internet isn't going to change their mind at all

What would this forum look like if there wasn't someone to oppose the "fanboy" attitude that seems to thrive around here? Someone has to have an opposing viewpoint, and who better than me? I was ripped off. I was cheated out of $50. I think I have the obligation to share my experience so that at least I can give a much-needed "I told you so" if the time comes.
 Darth Arrow
09-23-2005, 11:51 PM
"Oh well... $50 down the toilet."

Well not if you don't by it TK..
 Darth Andrew
09-24-2005, 12:08 AM
What would this forum look like if there wasn't someone to oppose the "fanboy" attitude that seems to thrive around here?I would think the exact opposite (at least among the more prominent members).
Someone has to have an opposing viewpoint, and who better than me? I was ripped off. I was cheated out of $50.No, you weren't. Perhaps you were gullible enough to buy the game without investigating it thoroughly, or maybe you were just greatly let down, but LucasArts didn't cheat you out of 50 bucks. You made the choice to buy the game, not LucasArts. Life sucks, deal with it.
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 1:38 AM
Well not if you don't by it TK..

I was talking about the guy who said he was getting it the first day. I'm not buying it, unless I get a PSP (yeah, like that'll ever happen).

No, you weren't. Perhaps you were gullible enough to buy the game without investigating it thoroughly, or maybe you were just greatly let down, but LucasArts didn't cheat you out of 50 bucks. You made the choice to buy the game, not LucasArts. Life sucks, deal with it.

When you hype a game to the max, promising the greatest Star Wars game ever, and then not even release the promised PC demo, you better be damn sure that you're not letting down your would-be fans. If you do, then sorry, you've just cheated me out of my money. Sadly for me, there's nothing I could have done about it. That's why I'm here to warn people about what they're REALLY getting for their $50.
 Kurgan
09-24-2005, 2:07 AM
Since we're discussing things we don't like about the game, here are a set of things about the user interface that just drove me crazy in Star Wars Battlefront 1 - I hope these things get fixed in SWBF2:

1. When a map has finished, there is NO WAY to chat with the players of the last match to say "good game", or "we rocked you" or whatever, which is ridiculous.

2. There is no timer for the start of the next match. So, it almost becomes detrimental to read the awards and details of your bait and nemesis, because doing so puts you at a disadvantage to the next map since people are already in there and playing while you look at the stats.

3. If I want to quit the game after the end of a map, I have to wait until the next map loads for some crazy reason. And then when I finally do get a menu that lets me quit, then I have to wait for a whole different screen to load up - what it's loading I'm not sure. And then I have to quit gamespy, and THEN I have to back out of multiplayer, and THEN I get to say that I want to quit the game, and THEN I have to confirm that I want to quit. My god, quitting the game almost becomes a game in and of itself. This is by far one of my greatest frustrations with the menu. What they need to do in BF2 is just have a quick and simple menu that you can bring up AT ANY TIME, and just select "Exit game", and boom - you're back in Windows - no billions of layers of menus.

You made some excellent points there, bravo! Console gamers probably don't know what the fuss is about, but to us PC gamers, those things are incredibly annoying...
 Syzerian
09-24-2005, 3:48 AM
TK, you are really starting to get on my nerves with all your whining. Your sounding like a typical BF2 fanboy.
Perhaps it is time someone like me came to this thread, I am a person who finds BF2 to be one of the worst FPS I have ever played.

You are right that Star Wars weapons do create kick but it is MINIMAL. Your referance of blasters being notoriously hard to aim is from a Star Wars facts book meaning that they are hard to aim compared to other Star Wars weapons.
Have you even seen SWBF2? I have seen full resolution, uncompressed images and I can say that the graphics are definantly better than the first. SWBF2 is not going to have your precious processor eating, completely fake looking rag dolls (boohoo) because it is designed to run on CONSOLES and they lack the power for such things.
The fact is that SWBF2 is being designed to run on consoles so it will not compare graphically to the sorry excuse of next gen game that is BF2.

Gameplay wise this is a sci-fi game not a realistic one and some people seem to have a hard time getting their heads around that. Watch the movies, did you ever see a Clone Trooper go prone and spent 20 seconds lining up his target? The only time I have ever seen people crouching or going prone in the movies was to use cover or reduce visibility.
Complaining that the guns are too accurate is just comparing it to BF2 where you cant hit anything unless you are closer than 50m and lying down. Get a Paintball gun, put a cardboard box or something 50 or so meters away, jog around while shooting at the box, its not that hard to hit it.
Also saying that the game is too arcady is not a valid point at all. Some people actaully *gasp* like arcady games. I dont like sports games but I dont say that they suck just because I dont like them.

If you dont like a game, forget about it, dont complain.
 ET Warrior
09-24-2005, 4:25 AM
I love it when people who really love a game have to deal with someone who really doesn't like it. TK has his reasons to not like the game, he has his completely valid points, and for him to voice them that makes him a "whiner"

I personally think a differing viewpoint is a positive thing in most instances. If everyone just walked around talking about how much they looooved Battlefront, things would be boring.

For the record, I hated Battlefront more than almost any game I ever played...maybe not more than Rogue Agent, that was pretty awful.
 McCusto
09-24-2005, 8:47 AM
I want to educate people on what this game REALLY is - not what LA has hyped it up to be. Maybe if I'm here I can make sure no one is getting cheated out of their $50 with SWBF2 like I was with SWBF.

I am sorry, I think no one is listening
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 1:25 PM
TK, you are really starting to get on my nerves with all your whining.

Then don't read my posts, simple.

Your sounding like a typical BF2 fanboy.

*Shrugs* I probably do. But it's better to be a fanboy of something totally awesome than something totally sucky...

You are right that Star Wars weapons do create kick but it is MINIMAL.

In the movies it looks like the kick you'd expect from any real-life weapon. And most blasters in the films are used semi-automatically!

Your referance of blasters being notoriously hard to aim is from a Star Wars facts book meaning that they are hard to aim compared to other Star Wars weapons.

Most all Star Wars weapons are hard to aim. I mean, who actually had good aim? Not Rebels, not Stormtroopers, not Battle Droids... Clone Troopers actually had good aim, but like I quoted from the visual dictionary, their weapons are incredibly inaccurate.

Have you even seen SWBF2? I have seen full resolution, uncompressed images and I can say that the graphics are definantly better than the first.

Link?

SWBF2 is not going to have your precious processor eating, completely fake looking rag dolls (boohoo) because it is designed to run on CONSOLES and they lack the power for such things.
The fact is that SWBF2 is being designed to run on consoles so it will not compare graphically to the sorry excuse of next gen game that is BF2.

Then it shouldn't be for PC, period. Console ports suck.

Watch the movies, did you ever see a Clone Trooper go prone and spent 20 seconds lining up his target? The only time I have ever seen people crouching or going prone in the movies was to use cover or reduce visibility.

Some Clone Troopers fought like that on Utapau.

Complaining that the guns are too accurate is just comparing it to BF2 where you cant hit anything unless you are closer than 50m and lying down.

Sounds to me like the reason you hate BF2 is because you can't hit a thing. I can turn the most inaccurate weapon in the game - the light machine gun - and turn it into a sniper weapon.

If you dont like a game, forget about it, dont complain.

Okay, so this board will now be a fanboy-fest of people talking about how much they love Battlefront. Sounds fun, eh? :rolleyes:

I am sorry, I think no one is listening

I think they are, considering that there's several people (including you) who are quoting me...
 McCusto
09-24-2005, 4:11 PM
I mean no one is listening to your whining and ranting about Battlefront 2, you are trying to ''educate'' us with about how bad you think it is, when it isn't even out yet. But no one is listening to your "educating"
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 4:12 PM
I mean no one is listening to your whining and ranting about Battlefront 2, you are trying to ''educate'' us with about how bad you think it is, when it isn't even out yet. But no one is listening to your "educating"

Read ET's post.
 McCusto
09-24-2005, 4:31 PM
Ok, that is 1 person. Anymore?
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 4:32 PM
Ok, that is 1 person. Anymore?

Most people who dislike SWBF don't post around here. If you asked say, in the Swamp, you'd likely find more people with negative feelings about SWBF than positive ones.
 McCusto
09-24-2005, 4:36 PM
We are not talking about SWBF. We are talking about SWBFII

I could care less who dislikes it, I just don't like how you are giving SWBFII tons of negative feedback before it is even out.
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 4:38 PM
We are not talking about SWBF. We are talking about SWBFII

Same thing, basically.

I could care less who dislikes it, I just don't like how you are giving SWBFII tons of negative feedback before it is even out.

Because... just look at it. It looks like it plays exactly the same. Same crap animations, gameplay, physics, weapons, everything. It's just a few new characters, maps, vehicles, that's it.
 McCusto
09-24-2005, 4:41 PM
Nope, you are TOTALLY wrong. Maybe if you played it, it might change your mind. The new system is totally different. You have to unlock the last 2 classes in each faction, there are totally different weapons, like a Shotgun and a Desinigration blaster, the animations were never crappy, so I don't know WHAT you are talking about. Gameplay is changed, too.
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 4:48 PM
You have to unlock the last 2 classes in each faction

Wow. /sarcasm

there are totally different weapons, like a Shotgun and a Desinigration blaster

There were already shotguns. I don't know what a "desinigration blaster" is, but it sounds entirely inaccurate to a Star Wars game. So that's a minus.

the animations were never crappy

Are you kidding me? There's only like three death animations! You die the same ways over and over. The weapons all seem to reload the exact same way. The way you run looks like you're in a cartoon. Actually, the whole game seems like a cartoon.

Gameplay is changed, too.

I'd like to know how. Because it appears it functions exactly the same. Same perfect accurate weapons, same lousy physics... I've heard lots of people who got to play the game say that it is exactly the same as the original. So no, gameplay has not changed.
 McCusto
09-24-2005, 4:54 PM
"There were already shotguns. I don't know what a "desinigration blaster" is, but it sounds entirely inaccurate to a Star Wars game. So that's a minus."

No, there weren't any Shotguns in SWBF. And you never heard of Darth Vader saying to Boba Fett "No desinigrations"? Yes, a Desinigration gun is Star Warsy, let me pull out Fraps and make a video of it
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 4:57 PM
No, there weren't any Shotguns in SWBF.

The Rebel Pilot has a shotgun. The Dark Trooper has a shotgun.

And you never heard of Darth Vader saying to Boba Fett "No desinigrations"? Yes, a Desinigration gun is Star Warsy, let me pull out Fraps and make a video of it

I'll be waiting...
 MachineCult
09-24-2005, 6:31 PM
TK, there are obviously more SWBF fans here than people like you who hate it. So i don't see how you see fit to post nothing but negative comments on a message board full of people who don't want to hear it.
OK, you don't like SWBF(2) and you're AMAZING at BF2, get over yourself and register on some BF2 forum.
We don't want to be "educated", we like this game, and you of all people aren't going to change our minds.
 Kurgan
09-24-2005, 6:58 PM
Well the thing is MachineCult there is some merit to what he's saying. This is going to be a very similar game to SWBF1, it's more building off of the original game, and giving us "the game they meant to give us in the first place" not a complete re-working.

So ultimately, people wishing for a complete reworking and "different game" will be disappointed. People asking if certain flaws or deficiencies in the first game will be present in the next is perfectly valid.

For example, lets compare this to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. I think we can agree that both games were very similar to one another. JA built on the foundation that JK2 started, but changed certain subtle things that made a big difference to many people. Some people who loved JK2 hate JA for those reasons. Others liked JA better for what it changed/added.

Now the same may be true with SWBF2. I hazard to say that "everyone who liked SWBF will love SWBF2" some people may not. Likewise some people who didn't like SWBF may be won over by part 2 (though I imagine those who had serious problems with the first game should not hold out hope for a completely revamped game this time around). Likewise with JA, many people referred to it disparagingly as "an expansion pack" or "a glorified patch."

People nowadays are spoiled and often forget that when a sequel to a popular game recieves a brand new engine and is improved, it's usually MANY YEARS after the first game. The vast majority of game sequels use the same engine and other than a new single player campaign, only marginal changes occur. The whole "expansion pack" movement is more a matter of marketing. What is the difference between a sequel and an expansion? Not every expansion requires the original game to be used. So it's somewhat subjective.

In any case, there exist people who DO NOT CARE and they will buy any game with the Star Wars label or in a certain series and they GET MAD when people criticize it in any way shape or form.

We tolerate all opinions here, but we need not agree with any of them. So you guys can argue all you want, but ultimately people who are ambivalent about this new game have just as much right to express that as people who will "buy it the moment it comes out."

There are people who can get a fairly good idea of what to expect right now, with the closed beta (open to subscribers to file planet). While not the final version of the game, I'd say 90% or so is going to be there, until a public demo comes out (if it ever does). There is going to be an Xbox demo with the ROTS DVD in November (around the time of release) but that's fairly useless for many of us.
 MachineCult
09-24-2005, 7:02 PM
I agree with everything you just said and none of it is contradictory to what I said.
All i'm saying is, this kid hates SWBF (extremely vocally), and posts every day on a SWBF message board.
It just seems like he's here to annoy everyone.
 Kurgan
09-24-2005, 7:08 PM
Well he was a long time poster on SWBF, this is SWBF2. If he hates the new game, why post? Are you accusing him of trolling? Because there's a big difference between disagreeing with the mainstream thought and being a troll (out to "piss everyone off").

Not everyone is saying "wow this game will be amazing" but most of us are curious how it will turn out, asking questions, speculating, following news, etc.

A person need not decide RIGHT NOW whether this game will "SUCK" or "ROCK" rather we can have impressions, opinions, etc.

Not all of us can try a game before we buy, so we have to make a decision. More information will be available before long. Some of us are cynical though about reviews. A game like this is the kind of game that will get awesome reviews, and will be heavily hyped, even if it's only mediocre. That's the feeling anyway. So how many folks will feel justified spending $50 on the PC version based on the general hype level, only to be disappointed? That's why it's important to get all the views out on the table to help people make better decisions.

If you hear the stuff TK complains about and go "well that stuff isn't important to me" (like me for example, I honestly don't think having Jedi around "ruins" the experience, nor do I think that "arcadeness" is necessarily a bad thing, I'm a big arcade fan) then you can just ignore it and move on or whatever. But really, do we just say "I don't find his information useful, so therefore he shouldn't be able to talk, period"? Maybe somebody will find his info useful, and that's reason enough to let it be heard.

I think it's fair to say that the SWBF1 community is small and opinionated. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were true of SWBF2. ;)
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 8:01 PM
TK, there are obviously more SWBF fans here than people like you who hate it. So i don't see how you see fit to post nothing but negative comments on a message board full of people who don't want to hear it.
OK, you don't like SWBF(2) and you're AMAZING at BF2, get over yourself and register on some BF2 forum.
We don't want to be "educated", we like this game, and you of all people aren't going to change our minds.

You just don't get it do you. I'm not here to change YOUR mind. I couldn't care less if you want to blow $50 on something, hey, you'll probably like a game like SWBF2. But if you notice, LucasForums gets LOTS of traffic. Most of this traffic is made up of lurkers, who come here just to get the latest news and different opinions on the game. If someone isn't here to oppose the fanboy attitude, what is someone who comes here to get some views on this game going to see? Nothing but "zOGM tis is awsome!!1" and they may just go out and blow $50 on something they find out is crap.

So if you don't want to read my negative opinions, by all means, put me on your ignore list. But I'm not going to keep my opinions to myself just because the majority here are drooling over this game. Because you don't know who's reading this and who's not.

Fight the power.
 Mike Windu
09-24-2005, 9:09 PM
Fight the power.

Public Enemy for the win.
 zerted
09-24-2005, 9:32 PM
The only way to know if you are going to like a game is to get the demo. Get the demo (as long as its free) and play it. If you don't like it, then don't buy the game. Never buy a game off of hype, ads, or what people say unless you know the person.
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 9:36 PM
Just curious, what system will the demo be for?
 Darth Andrew
09-24-2005, 9:44 PM
The only demo confirmed thus far is in the Episode III DVD. It's for the Xbox.
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 9:47 PM
The only demo confirmed thus far is in the Episode III DVD. It's for the Xbox.

So... the PC doesn't get a demo! Yay! And neither does the PS2. Horrah!
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-24-2005, 9:51 PM
So... the PC doesn't get a demo! Yay! And neither does the PS2. Horrah!

The PS2 does get a demo...look...http://www.us.playstation.com/opm.aspx?id=98)
 TK-8252
09-24-2005, 9:52 PM
The PS2 does get a demo...look...http://www.us.playstation.com/opm.aspx?id=98)

Alright, but how does that help me... it doesn't... or any other PC users.

Why do they even bother porting it to PC?
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-24-2005, 9:56 PM
Why do they even bother porting it to PC?

True.....
 Micahc
09-24-2005, 9:58 PM
So that they can leach as much money as they can off of the game
 ET Warrior
09-24-2005, 10:14 PM
So that they can leach as much money as they can off of the game
For the win! Put in minimal effort and money to port it, sell it to all the people who see star wars and then everything in their brain turns off except the part that forces them to BUY BUY BUY!
 zerted
09-25-2005, 4:07 AM
So... the PC doesn't get a demo! Yay!...
Oh, I didn't know.
 Redtech
09-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Weird when one thinks about it. A dedicated PC Battlefront 2 would most likely be "teh win" (or at least the first person models would look better than Jedi Knight 2).

Anyway, I don't own Battlefront, I play it with a friend. Everyone wins! So there's a compromise of sorts, get someone else to pay for it.
 Kurgan
09-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Do I also get to say "teh win" at least once? Oh well. Good to get that out of the way!

So to get the PS2 demo you'll have to buy a magazine. To get the Xbox demo you'll have to buy a DVD. No news about a PC demo. And the only way to play the PC game in advance is to sign up for the closed beta (pay subscription to File Planet)!

I still think they should give those who paid for the beta a coupon for a discount on the full game...

Bummer, so PC users get shafted again? There was no PC demo for SWBF1, so we all have to go by word of mouth? This is akin to filmmakers not showing their film to critics before release... it makes people wonder "what are they afraid of"? Not a good sign... :(

Pandemic/LucasArts has one more chance to make up for it, release a PC Demo by the week of November 1st! Give us a space map and a ground battle map, online/offline doesn't matter (though online would be good!).

Weird when one thinks about it. A dedicated PC Battlefield 2 would most likely be "teh win" (or at least the first person models would look better than Jedi Knight 2).

Anyway, I don't own Battlefront, I play it with a friend. Everyone wins! So there's a compromise of sorts, get someone else to pay for it.

Only problem there is you each need a unique key to play with a friend on the PC. We found this out at our last LAN party... :P

I'm not sure about part 2, but SWBF1 was basically a multiplayer centered game, which is why many of us wished that it had gone through more testing before release. The SP campaign was cool but VERY short (and much of the special features were cut or scaled back from the MP campaign). You had Galactic Conquest, but it was rather repetative, unfortunately.
 TK-8252
09-25-2005, 2:27 PM
So to get the PS2 demo you'll have to buy a magazine. To get the Xbox demo you'll have to buy a DVD. No news about a PC demo. And the only way to play the PC game in advance is to sign up for the closed beta (pay subscription to File Planet)!

I never even thought of all that. They're even making money off the demos...
 Jamps
09-25-2005, 5:58 PM
The only thing I'm mad about is that the Geforce 4 MX card don't work. Thats the one I use!! SWBF1 runs great on it, so why not SWBF2?!

If they happen to release a public demo I'll try it (because sometimes the specs aren't always right.), and if it don't work, I'll just buy the Xbox version....but no online. :(
 McCusto
09-25-2005, 7:30 PM
Ok, here is how it works:

PS2- OPM
X-Box- OXM , Episode III DVD
PC- No demo, but they have the Beta
 Redtech
09-26-2005, 3:46 AM
Well, while I don't mind getting a mag for console demos, for PCs, it's unfair that they can't have a free download from fileplanet, say. A beta means you're obliged to comment on bugs and you're legally bound not to spill beans etc. Also, you pay for that anyway.

Demos are tasters, not full games with massive bugs. (No sarcasm about BF1, I'm reffering to the beta).

Kurgan, see your point about the online part. Although I feel that BF2 will have a lot more SP potential, it'll wait to be seen about online though. If decent enough, I may actually buy it for my laptop!
 Bah_Mee
09-27-2005, 12:07 AM
from a standpoint of someone who actually gets paid to make games (yes me)

I can say the look of the new star wars game is bad, the graphics are not up to par. I also love the star wars universe and most games in that universe. One thing that really bums me out is the difference between jedi academy and the star wars battle front games. the detail on jedi academy is awesome crisp textures etc. when I first got SWBF I thought this was gonna rule! but i was also dissapointed extremly, especially because I could make better player models and skin them better than these, some of the floor textures in SWBF look scaled up like 10 times. I am taking a technical standpoint in the fact that technology is available to make it look better, I would be the first to know this :D, I am not here to make anyone angry per say, but, I am in the business of game design and I can say I and my boss would be totally embarasssed if our artwork looked that fuzzy and unfinished. the new star wars battlefront uses the same stuff the old one did, thats bad! at least they could use a more robust engine, if not for the console at least for a pc version. hell I have seen mods of star wars that look way better in artwork design than this abomination. sure gameplay is important, but I am comparing this to all other star wars fps that came out recently, look at republic commando! that looks sweet, even the kotor games look awesome compared to this, I really wanted swbf to look crisper and more gritty like the movie I guess, it was fun for a while but I just don't see any fun in the game really if the animations are bland(shoot, run, die, etc.) it makes it dull after a few minutes, yeah they should have used ragdoll, hell I would have used the unreal engine which has far more power to make something like this than the horrible engine they did use. Just an artists opinion of swbf! cheers and may the force be with you!
 Kurgan
09-27-2005, 2:47 AM
from a standpoint of someone who actually gets paid to make games (yes me)

I can say the look of the new star wars game is bad, the graphics are not up to par. I also love the star wars universe and most games in that universe. One thing that really bums me out is the difference between jedi academy and the star wars battle front games. the detail on jedi academy is awesome crisp textures etc. when I first got SWBF I thought this was gonna rule! but i was also dissapointed extremly, especially because I could make better player models and skin them better than these, some of the floor textures in SWBF look scaled up like 10 times. I am taking a technical standpoint in the fact that technology is available to make it look better, I would be the first to know this :D, I am not here to make anyone angry per say, but, I am in the business of game design and I can say I and my boss would be totally embarasssed if our artwork looked that fuzzy and unfinished. the new star wars battlefront uses the same stuff the old one did, thats bad! at least they could use a more robust engine, if not for the console at least for a pc version. hell I have seen mods of star wars that look way better in artwork design than this abomination. sure gameplay is important, but I am comparing this to all other star wars fps that came out recently, look at republic commando! that looks sweet, even the kotor games look awesome compared to this, I really wanted swbf to look crisper and more gritty like the movie I guess, it was fun for a while but I just don't see any fun in the game really if the animations are bland(shoot, run, die, etc.) it makes it dull after a few minutes, yeah they should have used ragdoll, hell I would have used the unreal engine which has far more power to make something like this than the horrible engine they did use. Just an artists opinion of swbf! cheers and may the force be with you!

I agree with you that the models and stuff in JA look far superior to SWBF. However I've always argued (in good faith, I could be wrong of course) that the reason SWBF and games like BF1942's graphics don't seem quite as good as traditional modern FPS games is because they are forced to render so many more models on screen at once in big maps. But then people are saying that BF2 is so amazing, etc. So maybe that's a technical hurdle that's been breached, I dunno. But yeah, the plastic fuzzy look of SWBF is not quite my favorite.

Hey (and not in any way questioning the validity of your job) but what game company do you work for? Or are you an indie developer? Just curious. ;)
 Bah_Mee
09-27-2005, 4:57 AM
hehe Yeah plastic is a good word for that look :D

starting a loong time ago I did level design for ultima x (a mmorpg game that unfortuneatly EA shut down since they bought out origin and closed the project, I did about 5 mile wide levels for that game)all the screenshots at the bottom of the page under the date 2003-12-06 are from my levels here

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/ultima_x_odyssey/screenshots.html?page=3)

and shots 3-8 on this page are my levels :D

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/918830.asp?screenid=5)

it was a great project, I didn't do any characters(they looked a bit to cartoony styled for my taste, but I enjoyed every second of level design!)

moving on I did several body models and rigged them for the sims 2 game, then I did some more work on a stubbs the zombie crazy game for the xbox that was kinda sad :)) I worked for an outsourcing art studio doing art faster than the in house companies for games that needed them, right now I am doing modeling, animation, and level design for an undisclosed title, lets say its gonna kick some serious tail when its done!

I do understand the whole idea of having tons of models on screen at once in a massive online like game, the idea that they used such an outdatede engine for even the first swbf game is kinda dissapointing in my mind. with the LOD models mip maping and other technology the newer engines also have like the battlefront engine, I am still curious why they picked the old engine.
 Redtech
09-28-2005, 3:51 AM
Laziness I suppose? I mean, this did have to have a demo by the release of Episode 3 on DVD.
 Kurgan
09-28-2005, 7:36 AM
A primarily console game on a tight release schedule... makes sense.
 Dilandau-Sama
09-28-2005, 3:52 PM
I thought Battlefront was one of the best games I have ever bought. It had great multiplayer. But, maybe that's because I had never heard of Battlefront before, and just randomly bought it.
 ET Warrior
09-28-2005, 5:56 PM
Or perhaps you never played a good multiplayer game before?
 Kurgan
09-28-2005, 6:46 PM
Ouch.

See, we pc gamers are spoiled. We play online games that don't have framerate caps, have actual administration abilities and remote control built in from the start, access to decent mod tools and dedicated servers that are somewhat user friendly, the ability to record demos, etc. Having one team of humans vs. one team of bots is a no-brainer. A console wherein you can enter commands to simplify certain well used tasks, etc. These are just basic features we've come to expect out of our first person shooters. Then all of a sudden SWBF comes along and it's like we're on a console that has limited memory and assumes you're using a gamepad on a TV! ;)

Are we spoiled because so many FPS games are based on solid engines like those cranked out by ID software and Epic? (Quake3 and Unreal tech in particular) Perhaps, but there you go.

So it's not just the disappointment of what this game promised but didn't deliver or the bugs in the game itself, it's also the basic standard of quality in a modern FPS game that was somewhat lacking, unfortunately.

I'm sure this was probably one of the most awesome and worthwhile games on the Xbox ever. I certainly would have thought so. But on the PC? Not a chance.
Page: 2 of 3