Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Pcgamer magazine review, 62%

Page: 1 of 1
 eastcoast2895
02-26-2005, 7:14 PM
okay before anybody screams and calls pcgamer trash, in caption of the 62% is above average so i think it would be 75 - 80 using the gamespot and ign review system.

here is the final verdict blurb
highs: action-packed gameplay; very impressive graphics; decent ai squad
lows: simplistic mission design; bugs abound; plays itself too often
bottom line: if your soul demands that you blast trade federation droids, it'll fit the bill.

one of the biggest things in the review (which i think is the reason for only an above average score) is that it mentions game stopping bugs. not just annoyances that can be circumvented, but game stopping bugs that cause reloading a game. the bugs mentioned are lock-ups, crashes, squadmates getting stuck and having to be killed, boss character stuck behind a wall causing inability to kill him, YOUR weapons dissappearing leaving you defenseless, and command buttons not working.

this to me is strange because neither the ign or gamespot review mention any bugs. BUT both ign and gamespot use the same exact reviews for both xbox and pc and since the xbox came out first it is not farfetched to think that both ign and gamespot only played the xbox version. since pcgamer does not need to review the xbox version, it only played the pc version.

of course all and any bugs can be fixed with a patch and my experience with lucasarts games are that when bugs are found patches are made.
 ManaMana
02-27-2005, 1:46 AM
My answer:

Nokill
02-27-2005, 1:51 AM
well it seems it all difrent from eatchothere we will have to see this for ourselfs then :eek:
 El Sitherino
02-27-2005, 1:55 AM
IGN only did the xbox version. They usually do shortcut like that. :x

But anyway. Looks like it's shaping up to be an average FPS which is more than I expected from it. So... I feel this is good news.
 ZBomber
02-27-2005, 5:21 AM
So many reviews.... well, gives me something to do. :)

http://www.republiccommando.net/index.php)
 DarthMaulUK
02-27-2005, 8:57 AM
PC gamer must be upset that PC ZONE got exclusives! Either way, you cant trust magazine reviews because most are 'bought' by publishers to increase scores.

As for show stopping bugs on consoles - it will never happen, unless its an extremely difficult one to find/recreate. Both Sony & Microsoft have VERY tight TRC's/TCR's before games can be published.

I deal with magazines and bugs it alot in my work, so im speaking from experience. My advice, try it for yourself!

DMUK
 Kurgan
02-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulUK
PC gamer must be upset that PC ZONE got exclusives! Either way, you cant trust magazine reviews because most are 'bought' by publishers to increase scores.

With that logic should we then assume the game is actually worse than they say? I know people will make up their own minds, but I find it funny how all the reviews are being discounted as biased. They all give the game high scores, but complain about (and praise) the same things (although the pc bugs is a new one so far).

As for show stopping bugs on consoles - it will never happen, unless its an extremely difficult one to find/recreate. Both Sony & Microsoft have VERY tight TRC's/TCR's before games can be published.

Usually if it happens (rarely, but it does happen) they issue a product recall.

I deal with magazines and bugs it alot in my work, so im speaking from experience. My advice, try it for yourself!

The point is that there are only so many ways to "try out a game" before you buy, without resorting to illegal means. So it's reasonable for those interested to read reviews before they plunk down the $50-$60 for a dud. Most stores these days don't let you return a game simply because you don't like it, or if it's buggy (giving you a replacement copy doesn't help).

The point of all this info is to make people better informed. No amount of bad reviews will stop some people. Jedi Power Battles was universally bashed by critics (and many fans), and yet some people still defended it as their favorite game ever.

The consensus of the reviews thus far seems to be Short but fun & polished looking single player that's a bit on the easy side, average multiplayer with nothing we haven't seen before.

I wonder if people will be as quick to bash our staff writers if they post their own reviews of the game when it comes out? Hopefully not...
 d'spadawan
02-27-2005, 1:00 PM
my experience with lucasarts games are that when bugs are found patches are made.

...JKA....
 El Sitherino
02-27-2005, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by d'spadawan
...JKA.... Yeah, patches were made.
 DarthMaulUK
02-27-2005, 8:10 PM
In most cases, games that score anything above 70% are considered to be fair and will sell in extra numbers.

I have worked on a handful of totally awful games that needed, lets say 'extra help' to get a better review score. Im not saying that this is always the case but it certainly can be with blockbuster titles that are total rubbish but need a good score so they sell.

In the UK, PC ZONE gave Force Commander 90% when it clearly is total rubbish - but they had an exclusive review and cover mount demo - plus who knows what other deals were lined up!

Most recently, PC ZONE had exclusives for a few EA Titles, one being Battle For Middle Earth - which again - is appalling to play (not going to debate that here) but they gave it 91% and had an exclusive 4 page review plus demo(did anyone notice the giant double page adverts?!). PC Gamer scored it a generous 70% but pointed out all the games flaws.

It's all swings and roundabouts but publishers can and do pay alot of money to ensure some sales success and using magazines is just one way of doing this

DMUK
 swphreak
02-27-2005, 9:19 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulUK
In the UK, PC ZONE gave Force Commander 90% when it clearly is total rubbish...

Most recently, PC ZONE had exclusives for a few EA Titles, one being Battle For Middle Earth - which again - is appalling to play (not going to debate that here) but they gave it 91%

All I have to say, it's all about gamers' tastes and opinions ;)

I liked FoCom, and I think BFME is awesome.
 d'spadawan
02-28-2005, 2:57 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Yeah, patches were made.

You don't say....:rolleyes:

Even after the JKA patch, I can think of loads of bugs.

Sorry to turn this into a JKA post, but clearly this person did not understand. Gj Insane...
 eastcoast2895
02-28-2005, 3:46 AM
if you can name some bugs please do because i have jka and i don't seem to have any bugs.

oh and ...jka... after quoting me saying that bugs found patches made i think more elaboration is needed when you mean that you believe bugs are still present because reading that post it seems you meant no patches were made not that bugs are still lingering.
 El Sitherino
02-28-2005, 5:31 AM
Originally posted by d'spadawan
You don't say....:rolleyes:

Even after the JKA patch, I can think of loads of bugs.

Sorry to turn this into a JKA post, but clearly this person did not understand. Gj Insane... I'm afraid I don't see your point. Patches were made. Maybe not all bugs were fixed, but patches were made.

And don't be an ass.
 lonepadawan
02-28-2005, 7:54 AM
I stopped looking at PCGamer ages ago. Ever since I saw their reviews of the Myst games... and their review of BFME (Which I love) just stopped me reading it for good.
 d'spadawan
03-01-2005, 2:14 AM
Originally posted by eastcoast2895
if you can name some bugs please do because i have jka and i don't seem to have any bugs.

oh and ...jka... after quoting me saying that bugs found patches made i think more elaboration is needed when you mean that you believe bugs are still present because reading that post it seems you meant no patches were made not that bugs are still lingering.

I'm afraid I don't see your point. Patches were made. Maybe not all bugs were fixed, but patches were made.

You are the one who felt the need to argue my point.

MAYBE? maybe bugs are still present?? that's a joke surely.

East, I don't feel the need to "elaborate" as you clearly didn't play the game, since you state "don't seem to have any bugs" and clearly you're wrong.

But, to shut you up, I was not trying to say patches were not made, any idiot knows that they made a patch, I was *trying - keep in mind you're not smart enough to work it out* to say that bugs still exist in the game, and LA know damn right about them, but still no more patches. This isn't a jka topic why must you make me write like it is.
 El Sitherino
03-01-2005, 2:21 AM
Why do you feel so poor about yourself that you need to insult others for no reason? I suggest you seek help.

Personally I don't care what you think about JKA and whether or not bugs were fixed. All I know is it has patches, therefore what I said is correct, and same with eastcoast. Also notice the word "in my experience" as in what he's experienced. Perhaps he didn't play JKA.

Anyway, please try to overcome your inferiority complex.
 txa1265
03-01-2005, 6:01 AM
Hi?!?! Is this the Republic Commando forum? PC Gamer review thread? Or am I lost ... ?

Anyway, got my mag yesterday ... when I read a review that starts off 'Though I've already written off EpIII as an unmitigated disaster' ... I know I will not be getting an open-minded opinion. Regardless of what is said thereafter, the reviewer has an anti-prequel bias, and anything that reminds him of the prequel films will be viewed in a negative light. It is what I call Star Wars Syndrome, and it is rampant in the 'oh so superior' gaming media since the first of the year. They have had enough of Lucas and LucasArts, they have had enough Star Wars, they are holding grudges about Sam & Max, and they will gladly deduct points from Star Wars games to make a point.

Another thing to remember - this mag just came yesterday, meaning press reviews had to be done ~Feb 1st, meaning they were using a pre-gold build.

All of that makes it hard to objectively assess the game. If you didn't like the demo enough to buy on release, then wait for the 'real' reviews ... ones based on retail games.

Mike
 El Sitherino
03-01-2005, 6:38 AM
HAHA! MY PARANOIA WAS RIGHT!
\o/
 Kurgan
03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Point conceded... for now at least. ; )
 eastcoast2895
03-02-2005, 11:51 AM
d'spadawan why don't u calm down, take a breath. i have played jka. i have beaten the game and have played multiplayer. but maybe there are some bugs you've encountered and i haven't. i'm sorry for forcing you to insult people instead of explaining in a sane manner what you meant.

but you're right that this isn't the jka forum.

back to topic,

seeing as how gamerankings.com has the average score at 79% only because of pcgamer's score and would be around 80 - 82 without it, i think that the review's score can basically be overlooked. sans the score, it seems that the only thing the pcgamer review has brought new to the table of possible bugs which txa1265 pointed out could be because of a pre-gold version being played. other than that i think it says what every other review has said.
 DruggedSith
03-02-2005, 1:24 PM
bleh.. RC sucks and PCgamer>*
 El Sitherino
03-02-2005, 1:50 PM
If you don't like RC I suggest you stay out of the RC.net forums.
 ZBomber
03-02-2005, 2:34 PM
If you don't like RC I suggest you stay out of the RC.net forums.

I'd take his advice, DruggedSith. You're not gonna make any friends by going around the RC forums telling people about your hate for the game.
 Kurgan
03-02-2005, 5:14 PM
Well there's a big difference between discussing a game with honest criticism and trolling.

Let me clarify something, it's OKAY to say bad things about a game in its fan forum.

There is no rule that says "Say good things about RC or else."

However, posting up and saying "this game suxorz!" with no reasons given would be trolling and dealt with. Saying along the lines of "people who like this game are stoopids!" would be flame bait.

Saying "I am disappointed about this game because..." or "I dislike ____ aspect of this game" would be perfectly fine. Nobody would have the right to attack somebody who said such things. Debate is fine, even good. Flaming and trolling are not.

Maybe it's a fine line to some, but I think most of us can see the differences.

Let's say somebody bought the game and played it and was disappointed. That wouldn't mean they weren't allowed to express that opinion on here. Ditto if they got the game and found some "show stopping" bugs and it ruined their experience.

Of course how one expresses that opinion is also of importance. Flame baiting would be the wrong way to do it. But simply expressing an unpopular view is not automatically forbidden.

So let's not get too upset when people don't think like we do.

Criticism of RC IS tolerated. However, be sensible with how you post, don't go out of your way to insult another person with your views or try to upset them on purpose.

Deal? We can all get along AND share our views about the pros and cons of this game, now that it's finally out. ; )

It's true, if you hate the game with a passion, etc. etc. yes, you'd probably be happier not visiting a forum devoted to it, but that's just some friendly advice, not an ultimatum.
 El Sitherino
03-02-2005, 5:42 PM
I know, but just coming in and saying RC SUCKS. Is not what I would call healthy discussion. Perhaps if he was more specific and tried to be open for conversation.

I don't mind people criticizing the game, but just coming in saying it sucks without giving reason is not something that should be tolerated. You and I both know forums are about contributing.
 JDKnite188
03-02-2005, 5:51 PM
I wouldn't try to discredit PCGamer. They are a major organization in the gaming industry and have been for a while.

Out of curiousity I looked at some ratings for other recent prominent SW games:

KOTOR: 91%
JO: 91%
JA: 86%
BF: ?

JK: 94%

They don't have issues with Star Wars games. In fact, many of these have cracked their top categories of editor's choice and excellent.

If they say 62%, perhaps it's best to take their word seriously.
 El Sitherino
03-02-2005, 6:09 PM
Except if you pay attention, none of those games (save Battlefront) have anything to do with the prequel trilogy.

And you didn't list a score for BF, why not?:confused:

And noones trying to discredit PCGamer, only the reviewer (if anyone is being discredited). As TXA pointed out, by starting out saying he's already dismissed Ep3 as crap, you know not to expect an unbiased review.
 Kurgan
03-02-2005, 6:17 PM
I know, but just coming in and saying RC SUCKS. Is not what I would call healthy discussion. Perhaps if he was more specific and tried to be open for conversation.

I don't mind people criticizing the game, but just coming in saying it sucks without giving reason is not something that should be tolerated. You and I both know forums are about contributing.

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just clarifying that debate over the pros and cons of the game is fine, so people don't get the wrong idea.

After all, I've seen just that sort of thing happen on the official LucasArts forums (one guy says something bad about a game, everyone attacks him, fights rage on and on).

Everytime there's a new game we get new people and many of them don't understand our rules. They'll have to learn... and let's face it, we moderators get run ragged around launch time, so we're not always in the best of moods. So learn fast. ;)
 Kurgan
03-02-2005, 6:28 PM
Except if you pay attention, none of those games (save Battlefront) have anything to do with the prequel trilogy.

And you didn't list a score for BF, why not?:confused:

And noones trying to discredit PCGamer, only the reviewer (if anyone is being discredited). As TXA pointed out, by starting out saying he's already dismissed Ep3 as crap, you know not to expect an unbiased review.

I would agree with that, except for that fact that (IIRC) Star Wars games that got great reviews (like Jedi Outcast) also contained digs at the prequel films.

Who hasn't read one of those reviews that doesn't mention how annoying Jar Jar was, or how disappointing TPM was to so many fans?

Yes, such a thing should have little to do with a review of a game, but then again, the Star Wars franchise is based on the movies. Still, the games should be judged on their own merits. That being said, it is possible for a reviewer to give a complete review without his editorial comments invalidating it.

I agree that such editorial tangents can poison the well so to speak, but ultimately judgements about a game are also important. For example, let's say you had a game based on the 2004 Presidential election, and the reviewer prefaced his comments on the game by saying how disappointed he was that George W. Bush got re-elected, and what a bad president the reviewer believes he is. Somebody who liked GWB would probably be offended and possibly inclined to dismiss the rest of the review as biased, even if the things the guy said about the game were true and fair.

So here I think the primary issue is about presentation. One might not agree with the reviewer's personal tastes, but ultimately their evaluation of the game may be accurate.

Still, I see what you're saying. If they give us some whacky opinion out of left field we may not listen to whatever else they have to say (even if they are correct).

Perhaps it's silly to expect a reviewer as "unbiased" because a review itself is an opinon. Now certain parts of it may be facts (the number of players the game has, the presence of certain bugs, etc), but much of it is opinion (do the graphics look pleasing? is the game challenging? is it "fun"?). Even though in journalism (except editorials) the ideal is "professional detachment" and "objectivity" the point of a review is to give (mostly) an opinion. By viewing lots of opinions, a person can make up their own mind.

But with a lot of media, and I've seen this too many times to mention, a person who has already made up their mind about a product, will read and attack reviews of said product that don't agree with them. They will attack the critics and even the idea of critics, demanding that people make up their own minds. However I think such people miss the point. Reviews are supposed to inform, but I think they also serve the function of stimulating discussion. There are many ways to approach a piece of art to inform others about what they might want to spend their money on. So I wouldn't judge the critics too harshly, they have their work cut out for them. ; )

On the other hand, yes, do make up your own mind, that's the whole point. To me, a review is just another bit of information in the decision making process. But ultimately it's me who decides if I like it or not and why.

Do I have a point in all this? I dunno. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud.
 El Sitherino
03-02-2005, 6:35 PM
True, but a review is an opinion formed from playing a game and judging it for what it is. Throwing in this bit about the prequel trilogy shows he obviously has a preconcieved notion about anything affiliated in it, and automatically drags himself toward disliking something related to it.

I'd find the reviewer more credible if he didn't throw out that rant on episode 3.

I welcome criticism, as it only serves to better a game, that is if people that are in power to make it better read it and try to fix mistakes. But there is a difference between criticism and bashing. Dismissing a game because it's based in the prequel trilogy is bashing, maybe not in the highest sense, but it's hardly constructive.
 JDKnite188
03-03-2005, 4:29 AM
I didn't post the score of BF because I couldn't find it.
 DarthMaulUK
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
People are free to vent about a game being bad, so long as its constructive. Posting 'the game sucks' isnt good enough. Most people dont like certain games because they cant play them!

i for example, hate platform games..cos they bore me to tears. Not constructive..so you get the idea ;-)

DMUK
 mic03
03-07-2005, 1:29 AM
I think that PCGamer had a fair estimate of the game, I mean although the game was fun, I definitly would've been disappointed if I put down 50 bucks for this game. (I rented it for XBox) I would have given it about a 70% (it's a fun game, but nothing REALLY special) using the PCG scale, but I played it on XBox relativly free of bugs (except there was this one part where Fixer? got stuck against the wall), and if there are as many bugs in the PC version as the review claims, then it definitly deserved to be knocked down a bit.
 Kurgan
03-07-2005, 5:58 PM
I think the reviews have seemed pretty accurate so far.
 ZBomber
03-07-2005, 6:40 PM
I think its fun, but like others said, nothign special. Atleast not yet. Probably a game you'll play through once or twice.
 Doomie
03-08-2005, 11:31 AM
It's things like this that still make me doubt. Usually, i'd run to the store with every new Star wars game coming out, and I liked every one of them, but after Battlefront, I'm not so sure anymore. Then when I see this score of 62%... I don't know wether or not I should get it.
 El Sitherino
03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I would suggest getting it, it's soooo much more fun than Battlefront. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on eBay. But I have a feeling you'll like it.

*edit*

eBay listing for RC (http://product.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Republic-Commando_W0QQfvcsZ1453QQsoprZ6484481)

You can pick it up for a rather good price if you don't feel like spending $50 on it.
 Oidar
03-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Indeed, This game is an example of when things are done right. Battlefront was not. Just the multiplayer alone is better than battlefront. You don't have to suffer with a frame rate cap or cartoonish type character models. (I wasn't and still am not a fan of battlefront, I think it was just a stinking cashgrab)
 Kurgan
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Point conceded... for now at least. ; )

Point unconceded, with the following caveat:

In regards to any single player bugs, I can't speak about those until I've finished the campaign, which I have resolved not to do until I've seen ROTS in May.

I however did play the First Level (stopping there) since I was certain it didn't contain any spoilers (it didn't) and was just introduction anyway. I only observed one bug there, and that was one of my team (Sev I think) got stuck behind a bacta station and refused to move on. For awhile he was floating, so I killed him a few times and revived him, but he still wouldn't move. I had to finish the map without him (thankfully it let me), and he was back at the save point of the beginning of the next level.

I noticed you couldn't pick up a Geonosian Beam Weapon (for more ammo) after grabbing the first one (until it was empty), but that might not have been a bug. Of course the way the weapon is supposed to work, it wouldn't really makes sense for it to run out (reduce your health over time or something?).

In MP the only bug I've noticed is that the Trandoshans make a human sounding grunt when they take falling damage, and the occasional crash to the desktop when hosting a server.
 El Sitherino
03-08-2005, 3:28 PM
Let's hope they'll fix that in the patch when they release it.
 ZBomber
03-08-2005, 3:35 PM
I'd get it. MP is fun, it just needs more people. :)
 adillon
03-08-2005, 3:47 PM
and more 'permanent' servers ... i.e. ones that aren't shut down when the player running the server is losing the game. just talking from my experience, as i've only been able to play MP once, and unfortunately picked a server that fulfilled this role.
:rolleyes:
 Kurgan
03-08-2005, 5:07 PM
Heh I know what you mean. People leaving is the #1 game killer in this game.

I confess that I did leave my last game, because my teammate was complaining at me (we were losing at short one person, but I got our team's one capture that round) and told me to leave. Ironically for him of course I was the host, so...

I was done playing for the day anyway. ; )

Despite that, I think yeah, people are already pretty uptight about leaving. You get a kill or two on somebody and they leave, or they simply join then leave without any explanation.

Now I'm not saying I expect a detailed apology everytime somebody quits, but it just seems like folks don't know what they want. It's not like anyone should have mastered this game already. I don't care how many times you beat the 6 hour SP campaign, that won't make you good at MP. And what game can realistically be mastered so you are unbeatable in 7 days?

One time (this was probably just a bug of not displaying the join message) it said a guy left who never joined. The "<name> joined" message never appeared! So a guy who wasn't even there in the first place, left...!

It may also be that people get bored fast. After playing some fun Assault for an hour, people start to disappear. Then I can sit in an empty game and wait, and wait, etc. I figure they must have gone to a DM server or something. So I host that and people return, repeat.

So many options I can't change on the fly. I have to instead, "disconnect" then relaunch the server with new settings. I can't even change my character's skin on the fly. It would be nice to be able to do that...

I lived with limitations like this in JK1, but that was 7 years ago...
 warmonger180
03-21-2005, 6:38 AM
yeah, i get that having to reload a level bug too, but then my entire squad is down including me doesn't happen, tho. something's gotta be done about that :D. as for the rest of the review, he's gotta have a prob with his rig cuz i've not had the probs he had. 1st time thru i had to shoot one of my guys and then revive. he got stuck
Page: 1 of 1