Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hardcore Tsl

Page: 2 of 3
 ChAiNz.2da
02-23-2005, 3:05 PM
beancounter,.... with these results you have just justified Super-ModsĀ® just for the sake of survival! :lol:

Looks outstanding, in a very *gulp-ish* way... heheh
 Darth333
02-23-2005, 3:58 PM
I just go away from the forums a couple of days and I miss the release of the most wanted mod! This just looks great Beancounter! Donwloading immediately and placing it permanently in my override folder! :)
 ChAiNz.2da
02-23-2005, 4:39 PM
[off-topic]
ACK! Who are you and what have you done to Darth333's avatar!... hehe ... good to see you back ;)
[/off-topic]

@beancounter
Just one thought. If the mod doesn't grant additional XP. My character(s) rarely ever get to level 30.

This may be suicide for the PC, but would adjusting it -5 PC levels for each difficulty group make a drastic change?

ie -
PC = LVL 5 / LVL 15 / LVL 25

or perhaps adjust -5 between the mid and upper

PC = LVL 10 / LVL 20 / LVL 25
 beancounter
02-23-2005, 4:45 PM
Hey Chainz,

The mod works by slowing buffing the NPC for each level you get. The figures above are just a summary at what their bonuses would be at that level. So when your character is Level 5, the bonuses will be half of the value in the level 10 column. When you are level 25, the bonuses will be between the Level 20 bonus and the level 30 bonus. The bonuses increase gradually with each level you get. This is the same way the current mod works.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-23-2005, 4:49 PM
Ahhh... even better man! This is definitely going to be a Hard-Core..Hard-Core Mod... I think I just confused myself.. hehe

Thanks for clearing that up, makes perfect sense now. Sorry for the "speedbump" :lol:
 Darkkender
02-23-2005, 8:40 PM
I can't express how eager I am to see the version 2 of this mod released.
 SpaceAlex
02-24-2005, 12:53 AM
That's fantastic beancounter. I belive your mod will make this game much better.
 Juriel
02-24-2005, 1:39 AM
I have actually come to think that the game's difficulty issues lie in more fundamental aspects than just the enemies' actual stats.

Rather, they are symptomatic of the fact that 99% of the game you are fighting mundane cannon fodder. You are fighting speed bumps, instead of worthy opponents. If one makes those challenging, then it takes away from being a Jedi - if one has those be push-overs, then it is a boring game.

I think one should fight mundane opponents on the way to a named 'boss', one with their own dialog and personality. And preferrably some additional aspects to the combat (constantly appearing reinforcements, disabling power grid with one character while the others fight at the same time). The mundane opponent would be the filler that establishes that you are powerful and a hero, while the boss at the end would be the one that offers the challenge that one needs to have in a game.

Why Obsidian chose to go with 'only fight filler for the whole game', I do not know. Likely because their gameplay designers are nowhere near their writers in quality.

Note that I am not saying 'each dungeon should compose of random combats and then a mandatory boss at the end'. But I do think the basic idea of that would be preferrable to the current situation.

I am not sure if it would be all that hard to mod, even. A crude fix would be to spawn additional NPCs at certain points, and offer them a slight dialog of their own.

*slight spoilers follow*

Good examples would be the big droid at the end of getting the shuttle on Telos, or the twi'lek bounty hunter faced shortly before that. A crude way would be stuff like just placing a single Sith Lord at the end of tromping through Ravager - that alone would not be hard. But to lend any SUBSTANCE to it, one would have to of course have a trigger that moved the camera to show his face and offered some dialog...which would take a moment to implement.

Just my thoughts after finishing the thing.
 Grifman
02-24-2005, 3:28 PM
Juriel, I agree with your thoughts in many ways. But alot of the "bosses" aren't hard at all:

SPOILERS:

1) The big robot at the underground base was a piece of cake. They have a big video of him coming out and I wax him in a couple of rounds

2) The Serocco and Exchange bosses in the refugee sector are pieces of cake as are their personal guards

3) The Sith assassins should have been the highlight challenge at the end of Peragus but were really nothing

4) The guards in the Nar Shadda boss's arena area were a piece of cake

5) All the bounty hunters were easy when they should have been a challenge

6) The beast on Dxun that the Mandalorians were scared of was a pet. I didn't need my companions or the Mando with me to take it out.

And note, half the examples I'm complaining of are AFTER using the current hardcore mod (please not, that's not a knock on Beancounter, just an indication of how easy the game really is).

These were all plenty of places to provide moments of appropriate challenge, but they just didn't exist. I could have accepted cannon fodder - and indeed that would have made sense vs. my Jedi, but opportunities that existed for challenge were not taken by the developers.

All just far to easy.

That said, hats off to Beancounter. I like all the options, and one can experiment and easily see which level of difficulty suits one's ability.
 l33tleboy
02-24-2005, 4:37 PM
Unfortunately, the game balance is broken. While mods like this might help make this problem less obvious, it can't really be fixed without changing the whole rule set. The d20 system upon which KotOR is based wasn't designed to support level 30 characters, and the more one gets close to the higher levels, the more apparent this flaw is.

I know this may draw flak from some, but I think a good idea for a HC mod would be to contain somehow the rampant leveling. With lower level characters and an AI that actually used combat feats and Force powers as often as the player, perhaps there would be no need to artificially buff the NPCs. I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, or even if it can be done at all.

Anyway, it's still good to have mods like this to actually play the game rather than just 'watch' it. Good stuff.
 beancounter
02-24-2005, 5:23 PM
Good posts here and I agree with you. A major problem any open ended RPG faces is balancing difficulty. The only one that did a half way decent job was Baldurs Gate 1 & 2. But even those series became easy if you knew the mechanics of how the game worked and where all the good equipment was.

I also agree with you about adjusting your maximum level down. But, do you know what one of the most sought after mods was for KOTOR I? A mod that would allow your character to advance past level 20! (Even though no one could get it to work) So Obsidian was just giving the customer what they wanted.

Now, I am not trying to defend Obsidian, they really dropped the ball on the balance issues. But I think the casual gamer *wants* there character to be unstoppable. They want the the uber equipment and powers.

If you REALLY wanted to balance the game, you would scale down all of the overpowered equipment, cut back Force Powers, adjust the leveling and buff up the bosses. (I even thought of doing this for my own game) BUT, your mod would be the only one the player could use because it would be incompatable with just about everything. So, you kind of have to work with what you are given. :)
 Juriel
02-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Juriel, I agree with your thoughts in many ways. But alot of the "bosses" aren't hard at all:
Yes, that is very much true. Which is why my suggestion would need to go hand-in-hand with buffing each wanna-be-boss. Anyway, it wasn't a 'solution' to current issues as much as just a general thought on the gameplay structure that I think would work much better than Obsidian's silly decision.

It is something I will be aiming to mod (additional 'boss' characters sprinkled throughout the game, preferrably with dialog/cutscene of their own), soon as Obsidian patches the game so that it doesn't often crash for me at area transitions.

Edit: And slow down the levelling rate in the end, as you just zoom through the last 10 levels and have trouble deciding what useless power to pick now, since you have to take one. And make the beginning as skippable as possible, without losing story aspects of it. For me, the game doesn't really start until you hit the Telos surface.

And yeah, another way to balance the game would be to lower the effectiveness of Force Powers (especially the Area of Effect ones like Heal, Insanity, Stasis Field that you can just spam without a worry) and modify the lightsaber parts' power down. The first may be fixed by the partial immunity Hardcore Mod grants, though, and the second is just so much trouble, as you'd have to modify multiple items' properties. Even if it is a bit silly to be doing 60 base damage with each of one's four hits in a round.

Oh yeah...thanks for the work, Beancounter. The game is flawed at its very core, but your work can help patch things up somewhat.
 Eli_Starstrider
02-25-2005, 1:50 AM
One concern - There are times when some of your individual party member will have to fight on their own and if the enemies recieve the full set of bonuses, it will be very frustrating.

beancounter's mod is really great for making the game more challenging, but the fundemental problem is not even with the rules itself - it's with the designers. It's like a D&D DM who hands out magical items, boons, free feats and experience points easily. I am already level 15 by Dantoonine, less than 1/4 of the game!

Then there's YOURNAME crystal, free Echani fighting feat, the light-side/dark-side mastery bonus (which is ridiclously easily to get), various implants, armour underlays which effortless give you +2 to strength and dexterity, almost limtless supplies of adrenal boosts thanks to the workbench...then the Jedi powers which gives you a plus to all stats and saving throws...

I could go on and on. And perhaps with the enemy design.

But those things are cool! I like them! So if we recieve good things, then our enemies must be stronger.

Ranting aside, here are some suggestions:

- NWN have a cap on stat boost. Your maximum boosted stat is original stat + 10. So if you have a Strength of 18, the maximum strength you could get is 28.

- Enemies who know they are fighting jedi (such as Bounty Hunters) shall know that they are fighting jedis. My Star Was Lore is not very high, but I'm sure that there are some items which can protect against Force Powers.

- I like the resistance idea, but I have a problem with them being random. Wouldn't it be better to have speices-based bonus to resistance against Insanity or Death Field? Then throw in some randomness?

- Or...is there any way to find out the stat of your enemies? One frustrating thing about Kotr is there's no way to ID your enemy. Maybe we could do a new force power "Force Probe", and have it to reveal the resistances and weakness, and perhaps the next step in its AI (if possible, new to NWN scripting anyway), so we can react and give the AI some badass actions (Throw grenades, Horror + Force Lightning etc. etc.)

- We can tweak the Force Powers - +1 to all stats for a rank 1 Force Power is a bit too powerful and etc..

- About the variable difficulty scaling...it is possible to set a global variable as a the difficulty setting, and allow the user to change it via. the cheat console? Or can we hijack the default difficultiy setting variable?

* EDIT *

BTW, I new to the modding scene, but are the mods generally, eh, 'open-source'? Can I ask beancounter if I could take his script and combine it with other .2da? Of course, asking his permission first?

Just my 2 credits worth.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-25-2005, 4:27 AM
Originally posted by Eli_Starstrider
BTW, I new to the modding scene, but are the mods generally, eh, 'open-source'? Can I ask beancounter if I could take his script and combine it with other .2da? Of course, asking his permission first?
As a general rule of thumb, yes, mods are open source. Any adjustments can be made, merged, combined etc. for your personal game.

Now, when/if you want to publish the mod and make it available to other players (public), that's when it would be appropriate to get the permission of all the original modder's, and give credit in your readme file. Though its not "stated" anywhere, it's a good practice to include the original author's readme file as well as your own...

Most modders here have been more than helpful and willing to give permissions... :D
 beancounter
02-25-2005, 2:20 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
As a general rule of thumb, yes, mods are open source. Any adjustments can be made, merged, combined etc. for your personal game.

Now, when/if you want to publish the mod and make it available to other players (public), that's when it would be appropriate to get the permission of all the original modder's, and give credit in your readme file. Though its not "stated" anywhere, it's a good practice to include the original author's readme file as well as your own...

Most modders here have been more than helpful and willing to give permissions... :D

Very well said Chainz. As a general rule I have no problem with people modifying my mods. If you want to take this file and change the scripts or make it compatable with another mod that uses k_ai_master I would say: "Go for it". However, I am not too keen on the idea of just repacking the mod without changing anything in it. There is really no added value in doing that.
 Iluvguns
03-02-2005, 3:22 PM
Beany: This may only be an issue at this point in the game, but I doubt it (I'm on Telos' surface running with your mod). Force powers don't seem to do crap. With all their updated stats, you updated thier saves rediculously high. I don't even try to use Stasis or Disable Droid anymore-they almost never work at all. Could you explain why I'm wrong/fix it if I'm actually right?
 Darkkender
03-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Iluvguns
Beany: This may only be an issue at this point in the game, but I doubt it (I'm on Telos' surface running with your mod). Force powers don't seem to do crap. With all their updated stats, you updated thier saves rediculously high. I don't even try to use Stasis or Disable Droid anymore-they almost never work at all. Could you explain why I'm wrong/fix it if I'm actually right?

That's why it is called a Hardcore Mod. Those are not bugs you mentioned those are features. The point behind a Hardcore mod is to make things difficult and for some of the more common overpowered effects actually have a higher chance of failing. Thereby presenting the player with a challenge that they must think about how to overcome. Also when force powers start failing you know your ability scores in the Force related abilities are too low. These scores are charisma and wisdom. If these scores are too low your force powers are useless as they should be.
 Juha Avery
03-03-2005, 5:00 AM
i just have to dload this :P
 Iluvguns
03-03-2005, 10:44 AM
It's not an issue with them being hardER. My issue is that I can cast my freaking Stasis 10 times and it never has any effect. It is worthless. I am not asking for it to be unresistable, just unresistable ENOUGH to be USEFUL. You misunderstood what I posted.

My Wisdom is 12 and my Charisma is 14-I hardly think I need much higher than that. Sure, maybe a sentinal should have a little bit higher-but that would not make the powers work.
 Achilles
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Which of the hardcore mod "settings" are you using? I know that beancounter set this up so that you can edit how powerful your enemies are. If you're finding the current settings to be too challenging you might want to change them. Also, are you leveraging your items and "object:self" force powers to help gain an advantage?

I know that when I play Guardian, I tend to limit my force powers to those that I can cast on myself (Speed, Valor, Energy Resistance, etc) or offensive powers that will still do half damage if saved against. The challenge with playing Sentinel is that at some point you have to make a decision to be lean toward combat or force abilities.

I hope this helps.
 Darkkender
03-03-2005, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by Iluvguns
It's not an issue with them being hardER. My issue is that I can cast my freaking Stasis 10 times and it never has any effect. It is worthless. I am not asking for it to be unresistable, just unresistable ENOUGH to be USEFUL. You misunderstood what I posted.

My Wisdom is 12 and my Charisma is 14-I hardly think I need much higher than that. Sure, maybe a sentinal should have a little bit higher-but that would not make the powers work.

Actually with the hardcore mod stats like those for force powers are to low. When you rely on the higher level powers like you are talking about you need a much higher wisdom & charisma so that your force powers can overcome resistance as well as be stronger. If you play a counsoler those stats should be your number 1 boosts for those powers and should start out with a 16 and a 14 in one of them at game beginning. Otherwise you will end up poned. If your playing a sentinel focusing on these type of powers then those stats need to be higher. For guardians and sentinels focusing more on ability boosting powers those stats are fine. The reason being low stats in wis & cha and high stats in str & dex are all you need for a front line brawler.
 beancounter
03-03-2005, 7:00 PM
Actually, I have not yet released the version with the four difficulty levels above. My personal computer with all of my Kotor Mods is down, and it will not be up until probably Monday when the new hardware comes in. :( Until then I am stuck with my work laptop. So the revised Mod should be out Monday night.

Iluvguns, I have noticed when you are low level your powers are really ineffective. However, once you start to get higher in levels they will still almost never fail. If you are running around on Telos I am assuming you are probably around level 8. Wait until you go up a couple of more levels and you will begin to see a huge difference.
 RedHawke
03-03-2005, 7:37 PM
beancounter,

I have been playing through with your HC Mod, and even on the base mod setting, with My mods installed, it really is a very good challenge...

I even made some killer items for the NPC's, and if I wasn't careful, I was still getting my backside handed to me...

Very, very nice work! :D
 lilric27
03-04-2005, 2:50 AM
I was wondering when I played TSL about the combat. I thought the battle was over to quick. I thought leave the dmg the same but increase everyones vitality by like 2x or 3x. All it should really do is make the battles longer. Also I thought if possible there could be some way to slow down the animations. I actually wouldnt have a issue I dont think if the animations were at 2/3rd speed.

If one could increase vitality across the board by 2x-3x and slow down the animations some what the battles would almost take on epic status in a way. I think that would be a good thing some might think it is too drawn out. I dont know for sure.

But this beancounter thing with increasing vitality and increasing their saving throws, attack rating is right on the money. Also adding universal resistance to some npcs and random resistance to others is a fabulous idea.

It would make almost every battle different. Getting the force sensitive npcs to use their force powers would be next step. Although there are not that many.

What interesting for example to me is just yesterday I must of battled the Sith Governor in KOTOR I on Taris? about 20x's 1 v 1.

What was interesting is when he is above 50% health he uses stasis and he alternates between imp critical strike and imp pwr attack. When he is below 50% health he switches to life drain.

But he has enough force to cast at least 5 stasis at 20 a pop. I dont think he has much more than that.

If he does not stun you with critical he will stasis you unless you make your saves.

1 vs 1 its quite challenging and it slightly plays out different each time, I was barely able to win 1 out of 5.

In TSL I cant really recall any particular battle that involved force use like that or was as challenging.
 karto
03-05-2005, 5:48 AM
Thanks a lot for this mod... It's sad when a game with such good storytelling has such little in the way of combat.

Anyways - just a quick thought:
Wouldn't it be possible to make everyone with forcepowers use the jedisupport behavior?
It seems like partymembers at least are quite good at making those powers count when set to jedisupport (too much so - they'll wipe anyone by themselves).

It is quite an anticlimax to enter the ancient Sith tomb on Dxun - without you PC - and kill 3 Sithlords or whatever they were, in less than 30 seconds. I spend more time walking than fighting, even though the place is crawling with Sith, and they hardly made any show of force - if any.
 Smilodon
03-06-2005, 6:27 AM
Exactly the type of mod i was looking for, gj :)
I've started a new game as Consular/Jedi Master, hope it gets more challenging and how wave/stasis work on the enemies now ^^;
 mrdefender
03-17-2005, 8:52 PM
Ive run into a small bug...

I'm using the insane file from version 2.0 and I've encountered a problem on a planet. There was an enemy that was supposed to die but didn't and now I cant leave that place. Read the spoiler for specifics.

On Dxun, Fredo Nadd's temple (or whatever), when they break the ritual, one of the sith masters was supposed to die but he just lost over 50% of health and turned friendly so I can't attack him. I also can't leave the area cause "i can't leave the battle". The Mandalorian guy doesn't show up either....
 beancounter
03-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Hmm, I am not sure about that one. I have not gotten that far in my own game yet. If you do not mind, can you send me your save game? And I will check it out fully. I will PM you my email address.
 karto
03-20-2005, 9:20 AM
Wow... I've been waiting to try the hardcore mod (wanted to finish at normal first to judge the game on its own). I finished a while ago, and finaly had time to play some more - so I just installed the mod and loaded a random save.
Next thing I know Kreia is kicking my a**! WOOHOO... I never knew dying could be this satisfying!!!

Now its time for some unarmed DS ninja sweetness!
(I'm gonna die soooo much this time round :D )
 Mossa
01-01-2006, 6:39 AM
Guys! I cant seems to be able to downlaod this Mod plaese help me!
 ChAiNz.2da
01-01-2006, 7:03 AM
Guys! I cant seems to be able to downlaod this Mod plaese help me!
Hey Mossa! Welcome to the Forums! :waive1:

Thanks for the notice.. the link hadn't been changed since PCGM updated it's servers. I've now fixed the link located in the very first post of this thread.. but to save you the trouble:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/10900.html)

ENJOY! :)
 RedHawke
01-01-2006, 7:12 AM
^^^^
Drat! Beat me to it ChAiNz! :D

I moved the thread but answered Mossa's other post first. ;)
 ChAiNz.2da
01-01-2006, 7:24 AM
^^^^
Drat! Beat me to it ChAiNz! :D

I moved the thread but answered Mossa's other post first. ;)
Well, it's about time I beated someone to the post :xp: Darth333 has an uncanny knack of posting before me hehehe...

Yah, and the moved thread completely blew my already aching head :lol: I was like.. where the hell did I go.. wasn't I just in Holowan? ;) Happy '06! :D

------------------

Back on topic:
Hope you enjoy this mod Mossa, it's been one of my favorites ever since it was released, and it hasn't left my override since I first installed it...

beancounter's hard work helped me to play this game over & over cuz' let's face it.. vanilla TSL is just waaay too easy. Also, if you like this mod, might I suggest a great companion/addition as well to really help balance out the game:

Achilles' Game Balance Mod:
http://www.freewebs.com/achilles01/)

Look in the miscellaneous section. :)
 Q
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
First off, this is an awesome, very essential mod (the very first one I DL'd for either game). It dovetails very well with all the other cool mods out there; Redhawke's Prestige Items & Bonus Packs, Achilles' Game Balance Mod, Stoffe's High Level Force Powers, Prime's Dark Jedi Conversion, Shem's Sith Assassins With Lightsabers (I thought I'd never get off the Harbinger-terrific!), just to name a few, but now I'm stuck.

I'm pretty sure it's the same one mrdefender mentioned over a year ago (Can you tell I'm a newbe?), so I know I'm not the first to do so. Since that was more than a year ago, I'm sure someone's found a solution to it, and I would love to know what it is.

I've played the game dozens of times from every angle, so you won't have to worry about plot spoilers with me. I have a feeling that everyone has hit this same snag-you can't fight him, therefore you can't kill him, therefore you can't finish the level. Any help would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you!

Also: I was wondering if a version of this mod could be made for KotOR1. I already use Talchia's (a true classic), but I've outgrown it (as I'm sure most have), because I want to use the cool new item mods for that game as well and still have it be a challenge. Thanks to all of you for keeping these two great games interesting and fun (especially K2, which needed a lot of help from the get-go!). I'm off to read more threads!
 RedHawke
05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Qliveur,

The issue in Freedon Nadd's Tomb and the Sith that isn't killed with the lightning bolt is because you are using Achilles Rebalance Mod and Beancounter's Hardcore Mod together and the NPC in question has so many hit points that the ritual game script fails to kill him. So it breaks your game.

I believe stoffe -mkb- made a fix for that game script to accomodate these 2 mods but I cannot find it at the moment. :( You could try to PM stoffe -mkb- and see if she still has the fix, or simply remove the Hardcore Mod's file before you enter Freedon Nadd's Tomb in the game. ;)

Also this mod is basically a re-make of Talchias for KotOR so they are basically the same. There is no way to make Achilles Rebalance mod for KotOR as I do believe it uses files that are not present in KotOR.
 Q
05-27-2006, 3:34 AM
That's what I figured-that the mod had pumped his stats to the point where the game couldn't kill him.

As for my KotOR1 HCM question: It would be possible to change the settings in that mod in the same manner as Beancounter describes doing the same to his at the beginning of this thread, would it not?

I must admit that doing that is more than a bit beyond me. I just learned how to edit 2da and GFF files (thanks to you all!), but this recompiling of scripts (even after reading the tutorial) is Greek to me.

Thanks for the info on the fix, RH. Hey-are those Cylon smilies I see?
 mongerman
09-18-2006, 9:01 AM
Just one question, what exactly are the effects of using the hardcore mod with achilles rebalanced mod?
 stoffe
09-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Just one question, what exactly are the effects of using the hardcore mod with achilles rebalanced mod?

The fights in the game will become insanely hard since the difficulty enhancing methods used by the two mods are different and thus stack with eachother. :) You will get the full effect of both mods at the same time.

Enemies will do lots of damage, will have good defense and saving throws making it harder to hurt them, and will have good enough attack bonus that wearing armor is mostly pointless since they'll rarely ever miss anyway. And they'll be immune to most disabling force powers.
 mongerman
09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Crikey! Sounds like the good ole freeze them and whack them tactic wont work as well. As the creator of this mod, do you have any suggestions for character builds that are more viable for the insane difficulty?
 Darkkender
09-18-2006, 5:45 PM
Stoffe's Not the creator beancounter is. However Stoffe is a avid player and modder and is very handy when it comes to some sort of scripting need.

As to character Builds on Insane Difficulty it all depends on what you are after and what other mods you have installed. Due you want the difficulty to seem less difficult or to continue being difficult.
 mongerman
09-18-2006, 8:02 PM
Oops sorry bout that. I'm planning to play with achilles rebalanced mod and the hardcore mod for a really difficult game
 Tyrial
10-14-2006, 7:55 AM
Can someone please direct me to an active download link of both this and Achilles's Game Balance Mod. I can't seem to find them anywhere.
 finisher700
01-04-2007, 3:27 PM
Hi,

KOTOR 2 is fun in concept but it was getting dull to the point of being unplayable as my character progressed in levels and gathered better equipment.

I played using Beancounter's insane setting for several minutes and already noticed that mundane creatures are not dying with one hit, which is a good thing. Thanks for developing this mod.

I was wondering if there are any known conflicts to using this mod in conjunction with Stoffe's higher force power mod and improved AI mods? What do the respective modders think about that? Hope I can still get a reply to this as most recent posts to this thread are months old.

As to the above post, it seems that Achilles' mod is nowhere to be found, unless someone has an old link or something. Certainly is not accessible from simple searches.

Edit: I see Both the Hardcore Mod and the Improved Combat AI mod are based around the k_ai_master.ncs script in the override folder, so that answers part of the question -- it's one or the other.

I also saw a post on another forum where someone was praising the use of the Force Powers Mod in conjunction with the Hardcore Mod, so I assume that at least those two would work together.

The thing is, Beancounter's Hardcore Mod seems to add some much-needed overall difficulty to help improve the balance, whereas Stoffe's Combat AI mod adds some interesting and helpful improvements to specific AI and NPC behaviors to make them act more intelligently. If there was a way to merge these two, that might be real swell. And nifty.

Not being a script compiling maniac, I will leave such endeavors to people who are.

Edit 2: I found this thread on this forum:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=173739&highlight=improved+combat)

Very intriguing! I hope it works!
 Q
01-05-2007, 2:01 PM
Yup.

I was about to direct you to that thread, but I see that you already found it! :)

And yeah, it works like a charm. I also would suggest using Achilles' Game Balance Mod (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=147135&page=1&pp=40) along with the Hardcore and Improved AI mods. The Game Balance Mod works alongside the other two with no conflicts whatsoever and makes a big difference in the game.
 finisher700
01-05-2007, 2:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Very helpful people on this board.

I am getting ready to integrate the HC mod into the AI mod right now. Unfortunately, Achilles website is closed to to exceeding the allotted bandwidth, and that mod is nowhere else to be found.

Edit: Hi again,

Being as the Achilles site states that he has "used up his monthly bandwidth" and it being only January 5, it seems unlikely that I will be downloading from that site anytime soon. I was wondering if anyone could upload this to a common site (can't imagine Achilles would mind if someone posted it at a game mods hosting site, since he intended the script for public distribution anyway), or if someone could email me the mod.

Edit 2: Got everything up and running. Thanks for your extensive help, Qliveur. Thanks also to Stoffe, Beancounter, and Achilles for all their diligence and hard work.

Have all three mods running simultaneously and I am getting my tail handed to me on a platter. May need to adjust either: a) my strategy, or b) which beancounter HC mod difficulty level to insert. In my swaggering arrogance I started with insane, but the addition of Achilles' file has made my elite-level Jedi a sniveling incompetent, his companions fragile and buttery soft. Heehee.

Slightly off-topic curiosity question about Achilles mod: readme says it cuts off at level 35. Does that mean that my characters cannot level up beyond that point or what? Because I see nothing on the autobalance.2da file relating to level capping (that I can discern), and all the other files are advertised either as conflict fixes or Darth so-and-so tweaks.
 Achilles
01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Slightly off-topic curiosity question about Achilles mod: readme says it cuts off at level 35. Does that mean that my characters cannot level up beyond that point or what? Because I see nothing on the autobalance.2da file relating to level capping (that I can discern), and all the other files are advertised either as conflict fixes or Darth so-and-so tweaks.IIRC, (it's been a while), you couldn't get much higher than level 25 in a normal game without cheats or exploits. My hope was to allow the player to be able to up this to about level 35 (for reasons that I believe I covered in the readme, but I might not have). This isn't a "cap" per se, but rather an adjusted expectation for normal gameplay. I hope this helps to clarify.
 Q
01-07-2007, 5:32 AM
Have all three mods running simultaneously and I am getting my tail handed to me on a platter. In my swaggering arrogance I started with insane, but the addition of Achilles' file has made my elite-level Jedi a sniveling incompetent, his companions fragile and buttery soft.
I'd suggest starting off with the moderate setting. :)

Ahhh, superhardcore TSL. It's the forizzle-shizzle, thanks to those three wonderful mods and the three wonderful people who created them.
 Echad
06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
In a case someone needs a working link to this mod, here it is:

on StarWarsKnights.com (http://xfer.lfnetwork.com/starwarsknights.com/HarcoreMod-TSL.zip)
 Arcesious
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I've fixed this problem myself, sadly the only way is to cheat.

This only happens if you have the tSL hardcore mo installed. apparently soem of the mark II minign droids somehow get killblasters from it...

On peragus, on the dormatory level, some Mining droid mark IIs will insta-kill you no matter how much life/armor/etc you have, so you have to turn on invulnerability or else you'll die.

Why did i post this? because it would be nice to have a fix since being forced to cheat ruins gameplay for me and soem other people when they want a challenging game, but not to challenging.
 Darth Xander
01-30-2008, 3:35 PM
In a case someone needs a working link to this mod, here it is:

on StarWarsKnights.com (http://xfer.lfnetwork.com/starwarsknights.com/HarcoreMod-TSL.zip)
Thank you Echad.
Page: 2 of 3