Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mav's WIP for TSL

Page: 5 of 5
 Mav
03-29-2005, 8:46 PM
Update

Well, for those who take interest in what I do... all 3 of you guys :D, I just have a small update for you guys and gals. Besides the hilt above, I just have one more hilt model idea I am working on and again unlike above, I wont keep you in the dark about this one. Here's the idea:

Since this will be my last saber model, it will be a corny one, not the model, but the idea behind the model, what I mean is I will be constructing Jedi W.M. Mav's lightsaber, I would like to have a quest planned for this and everything, but we will see about this later. For now I'm just going to work on the model, I'll have gmax screens up within the next few days.

Mav
 Lorden Darkblade
03-29-2005, 8:52 PM
That sounds promising :)
Can't wait to see further updates ;)
 Shadow Blaze
03-29-2005, 8:53 PM
Heh I bet you will make this one of the best looking ones you have ever made so that you go out of lightsaber modeling with a bang. I can't wait to see your newest sabers.
 Mav
03-29-2005, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Blaze
so that you go out of lightsaber modeling with a bang.

I wouldn't say that, I would say... take a break for a while ;)
 Mono_Giganto
03-29-2005, 9:03 PM
You should take a break from sabers and try guns... :rolleyes: :D
 Shadow Blaze
03-29-2005, 9:05 PM
Ah! Heh I guess you aren't going out of that. Gotta keep your title of " Jedi Weapon Master" lol. Well I will look forward to the ones you make in the future too.
 Mav
03-29-2005, 9:08 PM
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto
You should take a break from sabers and try guns... :rolleyes: :D

To be honest I wouldn't know where to start, gun models, helmet models whatever, I wouldn't know how to start...lol, all I know how to make are easy cylinders, not complex helmets and guns, perhaps if I find the time I could learn though. :)
 Nodakrattler
03-29-2005, 9:20 PM
Can I give a suggestion? How about a sword model, like a katana and wakizashi set? I think that'd be sweet, but by all means do what you want and finish your sabers first.:D
 Mono_Giganto
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by maverick187
To be honest I wouldn't know where to start, gun models, helmet models whatever, I wouldn't know how to start...lol, all I know how to make are easy cylinders, not complex helmets and guns, perhaps if I find the time I could learn though. :)

Well helmets I can't help you, but guns are pretty similar to sabers IMO. I still start with an 8 sided N-gon and extrude that to a cylinder, the only major difference with a gun I can see is the grip, and that's not a hard thing to make either, it's just a large extrude, a backwards movement for the slant, another extrude and a small rotate. :) If that sounded weird I could explain it better, it's actually quite easy.
 Mav
03-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto
Well helmets I can't help you, but guns are pretty similar to sabers IMO. I still start with an 8 sided N-gon and extrude that to a cylinder, the only major difference with a gun I can see is the grip, and that's not a hard thing to make either, it's just a large extrude, a backwards movement for the slant, another extrude and a small rotate. :) If that sounded weird I could explain it better, it's actually quite easy.

I actually understood that, it probably sounds easier than it really is though, maybe I'll tinker with it later.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-29-2005, 10:32 PM
I actually understood that, it probably sounds easier than it really is though, maybe I'll tinker with it later.
cchargin put a really nice blaster tutorial in MDLOps. You can always follow that as your guide...

after the USM, sabers will be the farthest thing from my mind ;) hehehe...

So I'm probably going to be tinkering in other frontiers as well.... we'll help each other out of a pickle (and assault Mono with PM's while we're at it) :lol:
 Mav
03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
cchargin put a really nice blaster tutorial in MDLOps. You can always follow that as your guide...

after the USM, sabers will be the farthest thing from my mind ;) hehehe...

So I'm probably going to be tinkering in other frontiers as well.... we'll help each other out of a pickle (and assault Mono with PM's while we're at it) :lol:

Agreed, we should get Mono to start a UGM... (Ultimate Gun Mod)... lol, while we're at it
 Darkkender
03-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Agreed, we should get Mono to start a UGM... (Ultimate Gun Mod)... lol, while we're at it

Oh lord as if the thought of the USM wasn't scary enough. Mandalore with a wall of 200 different guns is just flashing across my field of vision.
 Shadow Blaze
03-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Oh lord as if the thought of the USM wasn't scary enough. Mandalore with a wall of 200 different guns is just flashing across my field of vision.

Odd I was thinking somewhat along the same lines with the mandalore thing only I was thinking HK-47 with a bunch of weapons stored in a locker with the lable "Closet of meatbag busters".
 Darkkender
03-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Odd I was thinking somewhat along the same lines with the mandalore thing only I was thinking HK-47 with a bunch of weapons stored in a locker with the lable "Closet of meatbag busters".

Sounds good but I think "HK's Weapons Locker --Meatbags Don't Touch on Penalty of being Kneecapped followed by being disected--" Has a better ring to it.:D
 wolfshadow
03-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Be nice to see some new guns...
'Especially a couple of uber-guns.

Mebbe a Grenade launcher that can fire the grenades/rockets from the wrist launcher.

I'd like to see some different looking weapons too.

Be good to see what some of the experienced, (and for that matter, in-experienced) modders can come up with. We've seen some great stuff already for TSL....
 Mav
03-30-2005, 5:12 AM
Update

Well here it is, the first concept of my last hilt model, my last planned hilt model for the time being that is. Anyway I'll just show you a .jpg of the model and let you all decide whether it is good or not.

Mav's Model Concept 1 - 115kb (http://img232.exs.cx/img232/9052/mavhilt019rn.jpg)

Okay hit me with the criticism :D,

Mav

Edit: In case anybody was wondering, that is not the skin, just gmax colors ;)
 coaxmetal
03-30-2005, 5:42 AM
nice work. love the structure-within-a-structure appearance, and that's just the model. skinning possibilities for that are gonna be sweet...
 Lorden Darkblade
03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Looks very very good :)
I agree with coaxmetal :p
 Darkkender
03-30-2005, 1:42 PM
Mav If you ask for criticism one more time on one of those brilliant models I think I'm gonna bean you but good.:p

You really gotta give yourself more credit. I agree alos the skinning of that hilt is going to be amazing. Maybe you could do something similiar to Svosh's Atris saber. Clear outside detailed interior.
 Colma Adawin
03-30-2005, 2:27 PM
Update
Mav's Model Concept 1 - 115kb (http://img232.exs.cx/img232/9052/mavhilt019rn.jpg)

i know what you meant in your PM!

that actually looks quite cool! i'd love to see it in-game

very nice bud!

MattCole

PS Dont worry about my PM, i'll request one from another.
 Shadow Blaze
03-30-2005, 4:24 PM
Okay hit me with the criticism :D

CRITICISM?!?!?!?!? You must be crazy Mav! Heh how can you criticize that model?

Obviously, I have to say nice work!
 Bob Lion54
03-30-2005, 5:18 PM
CRITICISM?!?!?!?!? You must be crazy Mav! Heh how can you criticize that model?

Obviously, I have to say nice work!

Answer to Shadow Blaze: You can't!!

Thats a VERY nice model.:cool:
 General Kenobi
03-30-2005, 5:45 PM
Looks really good Mav :)
 Mono_Giganto
03-30-2005, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by wolfshadow
Mebbe a Grenade launcher that can fire the grenades/rockets from the wrist launcher.

To be honest I'm not sure if that's possible, but maybe I'm wrong, that would be cool.

And Mav, that saber is looking good, perhaps I should try sabers... :D

And the grip isn't hard, I could send you a PM with pics and stuff on how I make grips.

As for a UGM, I wouldn't mind starting one of those if I had the time, but I wuold definitely need some assistance. So if you need a modellnig job, then :D
 Mav
03-30-2005, 9:06 PM
Thanks for the compliments, I thought it was going to be a bit too extreme.

@ coaxmetal

Thanks for the compliment. Any ideas for the skin? It seems like you might have some :)

@ Uchiha Itachi

Thanks!!

@ Darkkender

Thanks, and I'll try to be more positive :p.. lol, as far as making the outside clear/glass like, I was thinking about it but decided against it, because if I chose to do that then I could not have any mettalic textures and that is why I deleted some polys to create windows instead of making them transparent which I originally intended. Fear not I have a few skinning ideas ;).

@ MattColejk, Shadow Blaze, Lion54, and Darth Melignous

Thanks for the compliments.

@ Mono_Giganto

Thanks, and I'd definetly like a few PMs about gun modeling, as far a UGM that might have to wait... I have a lot on my plate right now, maybe after ChAiNz.2da and I learn how to make some guns... lol
 Mono_Giganto
03-30-2005, 9:11 PM
Well the PM I sent you was just to ask if you were interested at all, I didn't expect for us to start right away if you were, I know ChAiNz.2da is busy, and so are you, and I am too. Just an idea.
 Mav
03-31-2005, 3:24 AM
Update

Sorry folks, I was planning on having a screen of the hilt with a texture mapped on it, but it is proving...not difficult but.. ackward trying to Uvmap the inner hilt without selecting faces from the outer hilt :headbump:, I will try to get some new screens up tomorrow, and for those who don't know what screens I'm talking about check the above post on this page ;)

Mav
 Mav
04-01-2005, 2:27 AM
Update

Here is a screenie of a gmax skin of the hilt, tell me what you all think :)

Here is a screen - 41kb (http://img24.exs.cx/img24/178/mavhilt4nh.jpg)

Mav
 Lorden Darkblade
04-01-2005, 7:56 PM
Looks very very cool mav.
I didnt posed before cuz you know, someone closed the forums :p :cool:
 Bob Lion54
04-01-2005, 8:08 PM
Originally posted by Uchiha Itachi
Looks very very cool mav.
I didnt posed before cuz you know, someone closed the forums :p :cool:

Exactly, on both points!!!

Also, I like the detail. That must have taken forever to do. :cool:
 Shadow Blaze
04-01-2005, 8:09 PM
Nice Mav keep it up. So glad the forums aren't really closing...
 Mav
04-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Anybody else have any feedback on the skin before I finalize the model?
 Darkkender
04-02-2005, 12:55 AM
I wanna see a in game uvmapped version.

But honestly I was hopiny you would do something even more exotic.:D
 Mav
04-02-2005, 1:03 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
I wanna see a in game uvmapped version.

But honestly I was hopiny you would do something even more exotic.:D

It took long enough to UVmap with trying to select just faces from the inner hilt, but remeber this is jsut a primary skin, I was thinking about putting another tribal or maybe alien language type design on the visible parts of the outer hilt's shaft, though, what do you think about that idea?
 Shadow Blaze
04-02-2005, 1:05 AM
Well I think it would be a good idea. Just what exactly will you name this latest creation?
 Darkkender
04-02-2005, 1:05 AM
It took long enough to UVmap with trying to select just faces from the inner hilt, but remeber this is jsut a primary skin, I was thinking about putting another tribal or maybe alien language type design on the visible parts of the outer hilt's shaft, though, what do you think about that idea?

Sounds cool. I was kinda hoping you might try making portions of it transparent to the skin underneath. Kinda like svosh did with the upcoming atris saber.
 Mav
04-02-2005, 1:09 AM

Since this will be my last saber model, it will be a corny one, not the model, but the idea behind the model, what I mean is I will be constructing Jedi W.M. Mav's lightsaber, I would like to have a quest planned for this and everything, but we will see about this later. For now I'm just going to work on the model, I'll have gmax screens up within the next few days.

Mav

@ Shadow Blaze

;)

@ Darkkender

I think I explained it before, but I was originally planning on doing that, but if I did that then I wouldn't be able to use a shader, and that means no mettalic parts of the saber, and thats not what I want, so instead of transparency, I just deleted a few sections to make "windows" if you will.
 Shadow Blaze
04-02-2005, 1:12 AM
Oh man I'm really forgetful lol. I even remember reading that before. Sorry 'bout that I am a little distracted. TV on, typing, and making my own saber.

I think this saber will look good Mav and I like the whole alien text idea.
 Mav
04-03-2005, 3:34 AM
Update

Well, this is just a preview of things to come:

In game preview of W.I.P. - 190kb (http://img226.exs.cx/img226/5816/mavshiltingamewip6bz.jpg)

The hilt is almost done, but not quite, you see I was hoping to get away without having to detach the faces on the inner hilt, because they are a freakin' pain to get to and I should've detached them early on, but oh well. However, the well trained eye can clearly see the texture warping on the inner hilt, so I will have to fix that by detaching the faces, and although most people would not notice it during normal gameplay, I am somewhat of a perfectionist and these little things really get on my nerves. Well, I'm a little tired so I'll pick this up again tomorrow. :), till then enjoy the "little less than perfect" eye candy.

Mav
 ChAiNz.2da
04-03-2005, 8:35 AM
I was hoping to get away without having to detach the faces on the inner hilt, because they are a freakin' pain to get to and I should've detached them early on, but oh well.
Great looking saber man!

About your hard to get to faces... try selecting the poly / face of your hilt that's blocking your view and "hide selected", this should open up your path to get to the hidden ones. Once you're finished "unhide all" to get your hilt back to normal (be sure to go back and hide the original saber & base you imported)...

see if that helps :)
 General Kenobi
04-03-2005, 2:34 PM
Update

Well, this is just a preview of things to come:

In game preview of W.I.P. - 190kb (http://img226.exs.cx/img226/5816/mavshiltingamewip6bz.jpg)

The hilt is almost done, but not quite, you see I was hoping to get away without having to detach the faces on the inner hilt, because they are a freakin' pain to get to and I should've detached them early on, but oh well. However, the well trained eye can clearly see the texture warping on the inner hilt, so I will have to fix that by detaching the faces, and although most people would not notice it during normal gameplay, I am somewhat of a perfectionist and these little things really get on my nerves. Well, I'm a little tired so I'll pick this up again tomorrow. :), till then enjoy the "little less than perfect" eye candy.

Mav

Mav, This looks awesome. :) :) :) I love the hilt design and can't wait to use it in-game. Just when I thought I had found my fav. saber in the Avenger you top it :) Very nice indeed.

If you ever take saber requests I'd personally like to see a Nomi Sunrider saber with the yellow core and green glow. :) Just a thought :)
 Lorden Darkblade
04-03-2005, 2:40 PM
Awesome work maverick187!
Can't wait to for you to release it ;)
 Shadow Blaze
04-03-2005, 3:33 PM
Ah and I thought the Megido was my favorite. So much for that!
 Mav
04-03-2005, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Great looking saber man!

About your hard to get to faces... try selecting the poly / face of your hilt that's blocking your view and "hide selected", this should open up your path to get to the hidden ones. Once you're finished "unhide all" to get your hilt back to normal (be sure to go back and hide the original saber & base you imported)...

see if that helps :)

As usual the small things seem to slip past me, dammit it would've been so much easier if I thought about hiding faces and polys from the beginning, thansk for the awesome tip ChAiNz

@ Darth Melignous

I've never seen a picture of a Nomi Sunrider hilt, but I could easily make a yellow core, green glow saber, way back when in the beginning of K1 that was all I did, make saber blade retextures, if I'm not mistaken I was one of the first to make two color blades. I'll make a little yellow core, green glow one and snap a couple of screenies for ya.

@ Uchiha Itachi

Sorry bud, but I wont be releasing it, dont worry you'll be able to get it, just it will be part of someone elses mod, just like the last model I made.

@ Shadow Blaze

Glad to see you like it :D
 Mav
04-03-2005, 7:36 PM
Update

Well, the hilt is finally done, textured, no more texture warping that I can see, if you see some please let me know. The only thing left to do is make all of the "annoying files" as I like to call them :p, the .uti's, the .2da work and so on. Oh and ChAiNz, I'll have the .2da info up ASAP I just need to make the .uti files and it'll be done, expect the .2da line up and posted here within the next 5-10 minutes, I just hope I'm not too late ;). Anyway on the the screenie, what everyone came to see.

In-Game Collage - 573kb (http://img89.exs.cx/img89/8464/mavhiltingame1yy.jpg) (most of you should recognize the writing ;))

Now to those of you who follow my W.I.P. thread I know you are wondering how I am planning on releasing the saber, and if you've been following another thread on the forums you probably already know. It will only be attainable through Xcom's module. So that is what you'll have to wait for ;)

@ Darth Melignous

I'm working on a little Sunrider adaption, just for looks mind you not for release ;)

Edit: Scratch what I said above ChAiNz I'll shoot you a PM instead.

Edit2: I forgot to tell you guys that I plan on using .mdl number 087 if anyone is currently using that number let me know now please, you've been warned.. lol
 ChAiNz.2da
04-03-2005, 7:42 PM
Scratch what I said above ChAiNz I'll shoot you a PM instead.
groovy :D

and no... it's not too late (yet) hehehe ;)
 Bob Lion54
04-03-2005, 7:50 PM
WOW. Now that I see it with the textures, It looks great!!!! This just makes me want the USM even more!!!

ChAiNz- How groovy, Like Bruce Campbell? Cause that would be groovey....
:cool:

EDIT: This is compatible right? Or is it in the pack?
 ChAiNz.2da
04-03-2005, 7:53 PM
Originally posted by Lion54
WOW. Now that I see it with the textures, It looks great!!!! This just makes me want the USM even more!!!

ChAiNz- How groovy, Like Bruce Campbell? Cause that would be groovey....
:cool:

EDIT: This is compatible right? Or is it in the pack?
Mav's saber isn't part of the USM, but it will be compatible ;)
 Mav
04-03-2005, 8:25 PM
The following screenie is just something I was playing around with for Darth Melignous, it's basically the same saber with a new paint scheme ;)

Nomi Sunrider Hilt Adaption - 281kb (http://img143.exs.cx/img143/1619/nomisunrideradapt5kz.jpg)

Keep in mind that both the textures, hilt and blade were done in about 30 seconds combined so, if I were to actually release this I would have to figure out a way for the yellow writing to be a little more visible against the metallic parts of the hilt, and the green glow would need to be changed it looks too much like an easter pastel color right now, anyway, just somethi0ng to look at :), besides these are very simple changes that could be made by anybody with photoshop or another .tga supported paint program anyway, so I figure you guys and gals do what you want to it after I release it anyway, I know Darkkender is going to make it purple and blue... lol

Oh and @ Lion54,

ChAiNz is 100% correct, not part of the USM, just compatible... if he chooses it to be ;)
Page: 5 of 5