Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mav's WIP for TSL

Page: 4 of 5
 Mav
03-19-2005, 4:04 AM
I'm going to answer your questions, but from now on I'm goign to ask that you either PM me with your questions, or create a different thread for them, just so I can keep this thread about my W.I.P., thanks.

Okay now on to your questions.
1. use cylindrical mapping and I check the box that says "capped", but I don't know if I need to or not... lol

2. I select different sections of my hilt and map them seperately, for example, I may have the shaft of the hilt seperated into 4 or 5 different sections based on how many extrudes I used and planar map them. If there are areas that need detail, such as the tribal design on my hilt above, then I select it poly by poly and planar map them, and detach the polys, I only detach whatever I do in detail.

3. Nope, I just make the saber and the cylinder UVmap it bit fitting the Uvmap to the Z axis, I think you know what I mean ;)

Hope that helps,
Mav
 RebelScum!
03-19-2005, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by maverick187
Update

Here is a little in-game collage type thing, and the release date is not set because I have decided to make a double saber hilt for it and the short saber hilt will be the same hilt, just on a short saber. Anway on to the screenie:

In-game Teaser - 122kb (http://img229.exs.cx/img229/3193/megido1qp.jpg)

@ Shadow Blaze
Thanks for the name ;), and you can download it when its avaliable, but I'm building a doublesaber hilt for Darkkender, for one of his mods, I don't even know what it is really.... lol

Mary Mother of Mayhem!:eek: Rebel likey
 General Kenobi
03-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Now if I had that Bette Midler song Wind Beneath My Wings I'd play it..lol

MAV, that's inspiring man. KILLER saber I'm wiping drool to get at this thang :) :) Very talented man to have come up with a "dookuesk" style saber thats very far from the dooku hilt itself.
 Shadow Blaze
03-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks Mav I will try that. Sorry for posting that in here I'll post in a new topic from now on.
 Mav
03-19-2005, 1:41 PM
Update

Just a quick little update, the curved hilt above, "Megido" will not be released for a while sorry guys and gals :(. Right now I need to finish up a doublesaber I'm working on, then make a doublesaber model to compliment "Megido", so it may take a while, but I will be pushing a deadline of less than a week, but it will probably be less than that :)

Mav
 Darkkender
03-19-2005, 2:09 PM
Well what ever it looks like Mav I think that "Megido's" sister double saber should be named "Muramasa" as suggested by Shadow Blaze for a saber name. It too has a good ring and seems to go well as names go with "Megido".
 Keiko
03-19-2005, 6:45 PM
Dang, im to late to enter the contest:(
 Mav
03-20-2005, 4:25 AM
@ DarthSmallz

Your sig is rather lengthy, could you possibly shorten it?

Now for the real reason for this post.

okay so I built half of my double saber model.. Uv'd it and appliexd the texture, then I mirrored and cloned it, and the texture held up fine, but as soon as I attached the two seperate parts the texture just fell apart and went all over the place, is there an easy solution, if not I may just have to UV the thing after I mirror and clone.
 Mav
03-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Update

Well these are really just to tease you, because I have no idea when this will be released, it is a new double saber model meant to look similar to this (http://img151.exs.cx/img151/1259/skintemplate6gb.jpg) saber model I released for K1 and has been ported over for Darkkender's mod which is when this new doublesaber model will be released. Anyway on to the screenies:

gmax screen - 171kb (http://img233.exs.cx/img233/7016/dkdesign7ff.jpg)

In-Game Screenie - 68kb (White Robes by RedHawke; Echani Head by Darth Melignous) (http://img233.exs.cx/img233/1211/dkdouble21nq.jpg)

Comments only this time, well I guess you could suggest, but it wouldn't matter Darkkender's word is final on this one ;)

Mav
 General Kenobi
03-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Mav, From what I see in the screenies this looks awesome :) Can't wait till I'm slicing through Sith with this bad boy :)

Killer Design Man :hoops1:
 Mav
03-21-2005, 2:16 AM
@Darth Melignous

Thanks and as you can tell, I really like the Enchani Head ;) I started a new game for it :D
 Darkkender
03-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Darkkender's word is I shall endeavor to get everything thrown together quickly. I will need to run it by jetstorm for final but everything may be out by this weekend.

FYI I say it is B E A utiful!!!!
 Mav
03-22-2005, 4:44 PM
Update

OKay I finally have a model I am...... satisfied with showing, to all of you for your harsh, honest opinions, come on just let me have it... lol. Okay, but seriously tell me what you all think about this:

"Muramasa" W.I.P. - 77kb (http://img13.exs.cx/img13/5514/doublewip9bu.jpg)

Well that is it, so far there are a few things I am probably going to change, for example the middle of the hilt, it just looks odd to me thats all :p. Well anyway give me your honest opinions, there is still lots of room for change ;)

Mav
 Lorden Darkblade
03-22-2005, 4:50 PM
It looks very very good, but I think that the name Muramasa fits more a single saber. Since Muramasa is the name of real swords.
That's just what I think tho :p
I'm not very bright concerning modelling so I will ask, is that the final color?
 Mav
03-22-2005, 5:04 PM
nope not the final color and I have no idea what the name means... LOL I just got a suggestions for it so that is what it is, but it just as everything is liable to change ;), I feel another name contest coming.....
 Shadow Blaze
03-22-2005, 5:12 PM
nope not the final color and I have no idea what the name means... LOL I just got a suggestions for it so that is what it is, but it just as everything is liable to change , I feel another name contest coming.....

I don't know what it means either... and I thought of it lol. Well I have a few games with names for swords in it and one is Murasame I just altered it a bit.

Hmm another name contest *looks for more names*
 Mav
03-23-2005, 6:00 AM
I look forward to even more names for the saber Shadow Blaze ;), and anyone else is free to join in just check out the screenie above for .... inspiration :D
 Keiko
03-23-2005, 9:54 AM
Alright here is one, Mav:

Massacre
:chop1: :devburn:
 General Kenobi
03-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Names, Names, Names

How about lightside:

LightBringer

Darkside:

SoulSlayer
:)

Ooh, no I got a better one... how about "the saber I wanna download"...lol

All kidding aside SWEET saber hilt Mav. Can't wait till you release it for download :) Finally a two bladed hilt without looking like a 2x4 :) Love it, keep up the good work :)
 Mav
03-23-2005, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by Darth Melignous
Love it, keep up the good work :)

Thats the plan ;)
 Shadow Blaze
03-23-2005, 8:35 PM
Deviator (feel free to put "The" in the front of this)
Kaltos
Asuka
Dragon Buster
Double Flare

Those are some names for now. Like before if you don't like any of them I can think of more. But for now those are the only names I can think of.
 Mav
03-25-2005, 4:03 AM
Update

Here is a gmax screen with the basic texture. Basic meaning that, the final product will look almost exactly the same, except the gray will be metallic and the black will have a slight sheen, as usual, also the main black shaft will have a tribal design similar to that on the "Megido" single hilt. Well this is just a preview, tell me if I should throw it in the recycling bin or wether I should finish it ;), on to the show...

gmax screenshot (http://img163.exs.cx/img163/4271/3drender4mr.jpg)

Mav
 RedHawke
03-25-2005, 4:31 AM
^^^^
Pretty sweet saber you made there Mav! :)

I really like the spiked parts. :D

I can't wait to get to play around with this puppy myself! ;)
 Mav
03-25-2005, 4:58 AM
The tribal design I'm looking for as I type, will be red in your honor RedHawke ;)
 Darkkender
03-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
^^^^
Pretty sweet saber you made there Mav! :)

I really like the spiked parts. :D

I can't wait to get to play around with this puppy myself! ;)

I concur those spikes make it look wicked almost "EVIL".:D
 Shadow Blaze
03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Nice work Mav!
 Mav
03-25-2005, 9:07 PM
Update

This is just another little in-game teaser collage, of screenies of the new double saber hilt, to go along with the Megido hilt, and the name of this saber is:

"The Avenger" - 465kb (http://img114.exs.cx/img114/4503/ingameavenger6jo.jpg)

yea, yea I know it wasn't one of the suggested names, but I think it fits the saber well enough. Well as always let me know what you all think. The models will probably be released on Sunday, but if not then they will be released on Monday, I still have to create the .uti files, the icons, the crystals, an all of that annoying stuff, oh and the upcrystals.2da file will have limited compatibilities i.e. whatever my current one is compatible with, however, i will be making a rather detailed upcrystal.2da editing tutorial for the models ;).

Now besides all of these reasons the other reason I can't release it sooner is because I'm on vacation in Vegas right now, but I can't even gamble... it sucks, but the other reason is I am working on a hilt for someone elses mod as well, it's a secret, but I'll offer screenies when they are ready, and if the modder allows it ;).

Let me know what you all think,
Mav

Edit: For those interested: UV color map (http://img167.exs.cx/img167/7122/uvtemplate5uq.jpg)
 ChAiNz.2da
03-25-2005, 9:16 PM
Beautiful saber Mav... wow! :D

but, daaammmn that UVmap...did you have fun doing that one? :eek: ;)
 Mav
03-25-2005, 9:20 PM
oh yes, fun that is definetly the word I would use to describe it :D
 Lorden Darkblade
03-25-2005, 9:40 PM
Nice nice :)
I like that doublade-bladed hilt :D
 Darkkender
03-25-2005, 9:56 PM
Ahh even more magnificient than before the UVmap.
 General Kenobi
03-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Looking really good Mav, I love the design on the UV map in that screenie. I'm glad to see nice looking hilts coming out for our fav. game. :)
 Mav
03-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Oh yea I forgot to mention, that the tribal design on the hilt shaft, was googled again, lol, I still can't get it to look good with the stretching, but I'll try somethings and see how it looks when it gets released :D

Mav
 RedHawke
03-26-2005, 12:37 AM
You made it Red for me!!! Why thank you Mav... we cannot have enough Red sabers! Especially cool ones like this. :D
 General Kenobi
03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Oh yea I forgot to mention, that the tribal design on the hilt shaft, was googled again, lol, I still can't get it to look good with the stretching, but I'll try somethings and see how it looks when it gets released :D

Mav
Mav, you could get the original to the look you want as another layer and then make a new blank one and then freehand the tribal design. If it looks "odd" to what you want try taking the design and "adding" say another curve in between two originals to "lengthen" it without messing up the look of the designs feel. Just a thought :)
 ChAiNz.2da
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Mav
I'm telling ya' man, Photshop Shapes will be your savior. They're completely vectored so you can scale them in any direction without quality loss. Plus with the option to make the shapes either solid, paths or selections... you can't lose ;)
 Darkkender
03-26-2005, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
I'm telling ya' man, Photshop Shapes will be your savior. They're completely vectored so you can scale them in any direction without quality loss. Plus with the option to make the shapes either solid, paths or selections... you can't lose ;)

Don't suppose you would be able to convert any of those to a non psd format and send them to me would you Chainz?
 ChAiNz.2da
03-26-2005, 1:32 PM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Don't suppose you would be able to convert any of those to a non psd format and send them to me would you Chainz?
The .zip includes a layered .tiff format & .jpg as well. Are you using GIMP?

Let me know what format and I'll see what I can do :D

EDIT...

err... I'm on crack. I was thinking of a different thread...

I don't think I can convert them.. proprietary stuff and all
 Xcom
03-26-2005, 2:10 PM
Looking very good, Mav.
 Mav
03-26-2005, 3:24 PM
@ Darth Melignous

Thanks for the tip ;)

@ ChAiNz.2da

I was trying to get to that site you posted up earlier with the designs and everything, but for some reason I can't get into the site, ah well I'll try again I suppose.

@ Xcom

ChAiNz.2da
03-26-2005, 4:00 PM
@ ChAiNz.2da

I was trying to get to that site you posted up earlier with the designs and everything, but for some reason I can't get into the site, ah well I'll try again I suppose.
Hmm.. you may have to create an Adobe ID before you can access Adobe Studio Exchange (don't worry, it's free and open to everyone ;) )
I forgot I have my machine to auto-login into Adobe ... frequent visits what can I say? hehehe...
 Darkkender
03-26-2005, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
I forgot I have my machine to auto-login into Adobe ... frequent visits what can I say? hehehe...

I think you can say you have a serious illness. It's called "Hackeritis". Unfortunately the only known cure is to lock the patient in a padded white room where he can never see a computer again. It's not pretty for the first 12 months. Those infected begin to foam at the mouth after the first week without seeing a computer and begin having sezures after 2 weeks. Alcoholics have it easier in detox.:D
 Mav
03-27-2005, 5:11 PM
Update

Megido & The Avenger released (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146853)
 Mav
03-28-2005, 1:09 AM
Well, now that the above models have been released, I've already started an am well under way on my next model!!!, it is obviously a lightsaber model and is once again for another mod... :lol:, so lets see this upcoming model will be my 6th model, all I can tell you right now is the model is already made and ready to be UVmapped, and that it is a single blade hilt. Other than that I can't tell you much more yet. Screenshots will be posted when I feel necessary :p (yup that means I already have screenies). Well I'm done teasing you all, it's back to work for me ;).
 Shadow Blaze
03-28-2005, 1:42 AM
Done with one and on to the next. Heh I feel an urge to do another model too. Good luck Mav and I bet this one you are making will look great too.
 Darkkender
03-28-2005, 3:52 AM
Well, now that the above models have been released, I've already started an am well under way on my next model!!!, it is obviously a lightsaber model and is once again for another mod... :lol:, so lets see this upcoming model will be my 6th model, all I can tell you right now is the model is already made and ready to be UVmapped, and that it is a single blade hilt. Other than that I can't tell you much more yet. Screenshots will be posted when I feel necessary :p (yup that means I already have screenies). Well I'm done teasing you all, it's back to work for me ;).

Man that is just so Wrong! And just so friggin COLD!!
 Mav
03-28-2005, 3:58 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Man that is just so Wrong! And just so friggin COLD!!

What can I say... it just must be Jedi and their secrets... hehehe. Even us headstrong Weapons Masters have secrets you know ;)
 Mav
03-29-2005, 12:57 AM
*Important Note*

Well this is more of an announcement/request for people planning saber mods. I am planning to use .mdl/.mdx numbers 55 and 87 for a couple of models, let me know if you already have a mod out or have a mod in production that uses these numbers, otherwise I plan on using them.

Thanks,
Mav
 Mav
03-29-2005, 3:36 AM
Update

Well, since Darkkender thinks I am " COLD" I've decided to let you have a little sneak peek at the model I have been making for someone as part of their mod, this screenshot comes with their permission for all of you to view... if you want that is. Anyway I know you all hate it when you have to read what I type so here is the screenie.

So and so's hilt :p - 258kb (http://img128.exs.cx/img128/9959/ingamecollage24bu.jpg)

If you know or think you know who this was made for, what project etc. please keep it to yourselves and don't ruin the surprise for others. Thanks

Enjoy the teasing ;),
Mav
 Darkkender
03-29-2005, 4:21 AM
Wow, I know who's Lightsaber that is. Thats --Edited for content-- lightsaber for there --Edited for content-- mod.

-edit- Okay which stealth moderator did this to my post.:p
Page: 4 of 5