Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modding K2 (xbox stuff, for now)

Page: 2 of 3
 PoM
01-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Can you temper with force powers?
 Dak Vesser
01-06-2005, 1:49 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian X
These are Xbox Save right? You said two weeks, good to hear it.

No, these are not xbox saves (as in editing game saves alone)
when it come to 2da files and such. However, we can make saves out of the mods--> #1 mod the files, #2 start a game,#3 then save. Certain mods get saved and others don't.

Mods that DON'T get saved are; Textures mods, head changing, changing the standard clothes, creaturespeeds, Portrait, SoundSets, Mdl mods, DLG mods, spell mods Area mods (like making new maps and such) <---to name a few.

Mods that DO get saved; custom items, stats, "Changing the Play character to another character in the game will actually save", Doors, plasteel bins, metal boxes, can be changed with costom items and saved>Like I said these are just a few to name.

"Game Save editing"for the xbox is an Ideal for those that do not wish to go the "Mod chip in the xbox" route. "But" there is the problem with resigning the sig files. "Somebody will crack it if they haven't already"...
 90SK
01-06-2005, 6:30 AM
Originally posted by Dak Vesser
...Textures mods...

So, is there a way to get at the textures?:confused:
 Tonku-Lhasa
01-06-2005, 7:14 AM
No, these are not xbox saves (as in editing game saves alone)
when it come to 2da files and such. However, we can make saves out of the mods--> #1 mod the files, #2 start a game,#3 then save. Certain mods get saved and others don't.

Mods that DON'T get saved are; Textures mods, head changing, changing the standard clothes, creaturespeeds, Portrait, SoundSets, Mdl mods, DLG mods, spell mods Area mods (like making new maps and such) <---to name a few.

Mods that DO get saved; custom items, stats, "Changing the Play character to another character in the game will actually save", Doors, plasteel bins, metal boxes, can be changed with costom items and saved>Like I said these are just a few to name.

"Game Save editing"for the xbox is an Ideal for those that do not wish to go the "Mod chip in the xbox" route. "But" there is the problem with resigning the sig files. "Somebody will crack it if they haven't already"...

There are already numerous edited gamesaves available for KOTOR2 on the XBOX (see www.codejunkies.com) for instance), the most noteable of which is the one that allows you to play the not fully developed HK factory mission. Doesn't that mean that someone has already figgured out how to resign the save file?

I have no idea exactly what can be accomplished with just modifying the save game files for the xbox, but as it stands it's certinly welcomed! I wonder what else is hidden in the game, that could be accessed with modified xbox save files?

I'm not ready to mod my xbox yet, so thanks to anyone who pursues this.
 Darkkender
01-06-2005, 7:21 AM
Originally posted by Tonku-Lhasa
There are already numerous edited gamesaves available for KOTOR2 on the XBOX (see www.codejunkies.com) for instance), the most noteable of which is the one that allows you to play the not fully developed HK factory mission. Doesn't that mean that someone has already figgured out how to resign the save file?

It could be they figured out how to use the cheat warp command.
 Darth333
01-06-2005, 7:24 AM
The original HK-factory mod by Stormsinger is here: http://home.alltel.net/jls31/) As Stormsinger said, what they have on Codejunkies.com is a rip-off. Read the first page of this thread an no, there is no warp cheat code on the xbox (I remember someone telling me that they used my warping armband mod for Kotor 1 as a replacement to the warp code :D ).
 Tonku-Lhasa
01-06-2005, 7:27 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
It could be they figured out how to use the cheat warp command.

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but there has to be more to it than using the "cheat warp". I have several other modified save files where abilities have been modified far beyond any thing one could accomplish in-game.

Someone knows, but perhaps their not sharing? :(
 Darkkender
01-06-2005, 7:33 AM
I don't use the Xbox I was only making a speculative guess as I know various console systems have different methods of cheating and since there was alot of similarities between the pc and xbox I was thinking maybe somebody figured away to hack that out of it. Thats why I tried phrasing my statement more as a shot in the dark than as fact.
 Darth333
01-06-2005, 7:41 AM
I am not familiar with the .sig files but from what I see the other savegame files can be edited with an ERF and GFF editor.
 StormSinger
01-06-2005, 8:02 AM
Actually, I don't touch the save file itself other than to remove the large - and annoying - filler file that makes the save too large for a memory card.
Files can be extracted/accessed from the SAVEGAME.sav file though, much the way KSE does.
The only reason I have to do this is to get some of the information the game adds to various files in a save. I don't need to edit the actual save file, since I can edit the blueprint files directly.

I got to the HK factory with a warp function which is part of a utility band I made. I just made a version that droids can use as well (hooked to a shield).

I've modded this game the same way as the PC version of the first game has been modded (Ktool, Leto, etc), and as the new one will be as soon as people get their hands on it.

There is another area not included in the game, but from the look of it, it's a test area. Strange place.

Yes, I can get to models and textures as well.
 Tonku-Lhasa
01-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by StormSinger
Actually, I don't touch the save file itself other than to remove the large - and annoying - filler file that makes the save too large for a memory card.
Files can be extracted/accessed from the SAVEGAME.sav file though, much the way KSE does.
The only reason I have to do this is to get some of the information the game adds to various files in a save. I don't need to edit the actual save file, since I can edit the blueprint files directly.

I got to the HK factory with a warp function which is part of a utility band I made. I just made a version that droids can use as well (hooked to a shield).

I've modded this game the same way as the PC version of the first game has been modded (Ktool, Leto, etc), and as the new one will be as soon as people get their hands on it.

There is another area not included in the game, but from the look of it, it's a test area. Strange place.

Yes, I can get to models and textures as well.

Now that is ingenious! So basicaly put, you created a new item, that allowed you to WAP to the HK factory, and then saved the game and uploded the file for distribution? But that must mean that an unmodded XBOX can incorporate a new created item if one is "legaly" generated into a useable save file?

Is it just me, or does this really throw open the floodgates of possibility for this game?

I'd love to see the test area.

BTW, can I access the armband once in the HK factory save game file (I'm guessing not), or are there scripts that would be missing (as without modding my xbox I could not get the new data into my core game files, which currently only reside on the DVD)?

I know I'm showing my own ignorance here.... sorry.
 StormSinger
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I started doing this last March. Since then I made several modded saves for the first game and I'm working on new saves for this one.
Yes, the save does incorporate completely new items which work fine as long as they aren't too complicated (ie, require scripts, dialogs, etc).

The "shield" I used as a warp device is still in the save, but there are MANY scripts as well as a dialog required to run it and those don't save. So, it's basically a dead item (as you asked).

I may upload another save with the test area just so people can take a look at it. There are a few areas - very odd - that are disconnected and I can't make those accessible through a save though.
 Tonku-Lhasa
01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by StormSinger
I started doing this last March. Since then I made several modded saves for the first game and I'm working on new saves for this one.
Yes, the save does incorporate completely new items which work fine as long as they aren't too complicated (ie, require scripts, dialogs, etc).

The "shield" I used as a warp device is still in the save, but there are MANY scripts as well as a dialog required to run it and those don't save. So, it's basically a dead item (as you asked).

I may upload another save with the test area just so people can take a look at it. There are a few areas - very odd - that are disconnected and I can't make those accessible through a save though.

By all means bring on the wierdo test area. Can new textures (ex. a new lightsaber model) be incorporated into a save that could be utilized on an unmoded xbox? Are things like new textures included in a save file?

I'd also be interested in seeing what items might have been developed but not included in the final game.

Time to get a new xbox to softmod soon. :) BTW, is the standard XBOX harddrive large enough to encompassing running KOTORII from the harddrive?

Thanks much.
 StormSinger
01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
The original drive should be large enough for this game, but not much else. If that's all you plan on doing with it, then it should be fine.

Textures and models are on the "does not apply" list as far as saves go. They require installation.
 tk102
01-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Darth333, perhaps you could make a warpband for KotOR2. I know you know all the module names. :)
 Darth333
01-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by tk102
Darth333, perhaps you could make a warpband for KotOR2. I know you know all the module names. :)
It's almost done :)
 90SK
01-06-2005, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
It's almost done :)

:eyepop

I'll say it again: You people are TOO QUICK! Not that thats a bad thing, though.:D
 StormSinger
01-06-2005, 2:19 PM
My utiity band uses 84 scripts for the warp function, but they're just StartNewModule scripts. I really need to use a location for some of them to keep from triggering opening cutscenes.
Since it was just a quick thing, I didn't bother with it at first and after I've been there, the scene doesn't trigger again.

Still, I hate getting stuck in a scene when I just need to check something out. :rolleyes:
 kampher
01-07-2005, 6:01 PM
hey stormsinger, ive seen you around the gamefaqs forums too, and I had a question. Since ive just recently modded my x-box (with my sleek new xenium ice) What exactly can I do with kotor 2 now? can I port certain non .2da mods over? what are all my options now?
 StormSinger
01-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Install the game on your xbox drive, create an override folder and your options are just about the same as they would be if the game were on your PC.

Non-2da? They work fine, unless you have some other reason for not wanting to use them.
If you can compile scripts, that's another option. Item and character editing, dialogs, merchants, whatever.
Your options really depend on what you want and how much effort you're willing - and able - to put into it (like most things).

I'm guessing more compatible tools will come along after the PC version is released. What's available now is useable with just a few restrictions, most of which can be worked around.
 kampher
01-08-2005, 6:03 PM
So is it possible for me to take the Revans mask plus mod, throw it in the override folder on my hardrive, and alter the .2da, and poof, get those robes in my inventory? (with a script that starts me off with them) and play with my new robes? by the way, what folder or drive is the saves located in?
 StormSinger
01-08-2005, 6:38 PM
If that mod has model files with it, you may have trouble. Textures work ok (tga) if they aren't the large size (the xbox has trouble with the larger texture files...slowdown/crash).
Models are iffy. Some work and some crash, it's sort of a crapshoot.
Otherwise, you can script the items in, or edit a container and drop them in. Whatever is easier.

Saves are here:
/E/UDATA/4c410014
 Whitebloodcell
01-09-2005, 7:17 AM
When the PC Version of TSL comes out, will it be possible to put into KOTOR1 features from TSL? For example, adding Force Crush to KOTOR1, or any other of the new feats/spells? Would any of the Mod's that have been made for KOTOR1 be useable ton TSL, for example items, such as Force Gloves? (forgotten who made them) Would any of this be possible between the two Xbox Versions of the Game?

How do I use StormSinger's HK Savegame? Do all the files need transfering across to the KOTOR Save Directory? (I have a Modded Xbox, if its relevant) Would transferring the whole thing across not overwrite all of my Current Saves?
 StormSinger
01-09-2005, 7:48 AM
I wouldn't want to be the one who tries to add a K2 force power to K1. In fact, I definitely won't be. Scripts, animations, effect, etc... no thanks.
There is plenty that can be swapped as long as you account for the differences in available properties. K2 has more.

The HK save is used like any other. I honestly don't know if it would overwrite an existing save. Certainly, it wouldn't overwrite all of them.
If you've never used the K1 saves I made, you might take a look at a couple of them. They're basically what I'm talking about.
 Darkkender
01-09-2005, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by Whitebloodcell
When the PC Version of TSL comes out, will it be possible to put into KOTOR1 features from TSL? For example, adding Force Crush to KOTOR1, or any other of the new feats/spells? Would any of the Mod's that have been made for KOTOR1 be useable ton TSL, for example items, such as Force Gloves? (forgotten who made them) Would any of this be possible between the two Xbox Versions of the Game?

How do I use StormSinger's HK Savegame? Do all the files need transfering across to the KOTOR Save Directory? (I have a Modded Xbox, if its relevant) Would transferring the whole thing across not overwrite all of my Current Saves?

Anything such as a item file or something that does not require a custom texture or model should be easy to port over as the model format is the only thing to change. Force powers that were removed or were custom made in the AIOFPM can easily be copied over as the 2da file format has not changed either. For the most part even textures should be okay they may need a little work though do to the different model format.
 Whitebloodcell
01-09-2005, 7:55 AM
The Main Folder (as you know) is called 4c410014hk. The KOTOR 2 Save Folder being.4c410014. Do I place 4c410014hk inside 4c410014, or alongside it in UDATA? Does KOTOR look at both these directories when searching for saves?
 StormSinger
01-09-2005, 8:57 AM
Look for the 4c410014 folder in the UDATA folder (in the save zip).
Inside that folder is a 167B1955DCEB folder. You should be able to just dump that single folder into the /UDATA/4c410014/ folder on your xbox and run the save.
 Montross87
01-09-2005, 12:14 PM
How do I go about modding my Xbox?
 StormSinger
01-09-2005, 7:45 PM
The best place for that information is www.xbox-scene.com)
 Montross87
01-10-2005, 7:54 AM
Thanks, ill check it out when I get home.
 legg21
01-11-2005, 1:11 AM
I need help. soooo badly. I love both kotor and TSL, but have played them to death on a non-modded xbox. I really want to be able to change things in the game so that I may continue to play forever without getting bored. I want to add and/or edit items, weapons, robes/armor(especially jedi robes and crystals), shields etc., as well as putting a few unique items in too. I would also like to create areas for combat and exploration, or simply install items and opponents(preferrably dark Jedi) in existing unused areas, like (K1) shadowlands, tatooine desert, unknow planet, (k2) just about everywhere. There was not quite enough jedi v. sith fights in this one for me(K2). Change in dialog, or even in story, perhaps, would be unbelievably great. Right now I have two xbox consoles, one of which is the first model, and it runs poorly, the second is probably the second version xbox, its old but it runs well. I've a computer running window xp, have dail up connection 56k modem. What will I need to purchase to make this work? Probably will purchase a premodded xbox, so which one should I get and where should I go from there. I absolutely loved so many of the mods you've disscussed, where can i find those. Ppllleeeeeeeeaaaaaasssee help me?
 kampher
01-11-2005, 9:41 AM
Well I have tried my hand in a number of things. The first project I had was to try and get the revans mask plus mod to be ported to kotor 2. They were all scripted in (with the help of stormsinger) but, if i try to put on revans mask, the game just freezes, and I get this annoying buzzing noise. But if I put on the star forge robes, they work ok. The funny thing about the robes is that, certain player models would work, but if I tried using the male with the goatee and thin blonde hair, the game would freeze, odd.

Then I thought, well lets try some simple things, like svosh's sith mask, and fuel of hate. to no avail, they too froze up the game. Im not sure what is causing this, because I thought at least textures would work.

And i must have edited the app.2da file incorretly, because when i put on revans robes, its the same old revan star forge robes, no hood or anything. I guess my modding possibilities are a bit limited at the moment :mad:
 Darkkender
01-11-2005, 9:54 AM
Originally posted by kampher
Well I have tried my hand in a number of things. The first project I had was to try and get the revans mask plus mod to be ported to kotor 2. They were all scripted in (with the help of stormsinger) but, if i try to put on revans mask, the game just freezes, and I get this annoying buzzing noise. But if I put on the star forge robes, they work ok. The funny thing about the robes is that, certain player models would work, but if I tried using the male with the goatee and thin blonde hair, the game would freeze, odd.

Then I thought, well lets try some simple things, like svosh's sith mask, and fuel of hate. to no avail, they too froze up the game. Im not sure what is causing this, because I thought at least textures would work.

And i must have edited the app.2da file incorretly, because when i put on revans robes, its the same old revan star forge robes, no hood or anything. I guess my modding possibilities are a bit limited at the moment :mad:

Alot of this is probably due to the fact that KOTOR 2 uses a different model format. if the models doesn't exist in kotor2 then you cannot port it over without making further changes to the mod. Also if appearance.2da entries do not match up to the original mods reference then you will also encounter errors.
 kampher
01-11-2005, 10:01 AM
well the app.2da in kotor2 is the same one as the kotor 1 app.2da, just with a WHOLE LOT more stuff added into it.

Still dont get why new textures dont work. I tried to plug in one of the old re-textured sabers, but that froze it up too.
 Darkkender
01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
A texture is applied to a certain model in a certain format. with the change of format for models for KOTOR 2 the original textures are not going to point to the proper points or will not be linked with the proper model in KOTOR 2. I might suggest try importing the original model file from kotor 1 into your game and see if it will except the old style model such as with the revans mask mod.
 kampher
01-11-2005, 10:19 AM
O ok, Now i see what your saying Darkkender. Im new to modding, so I never thought about looking at it from that perspective. Ill have to go dig around for my kotor 1 game, and see if what you said works. I think that the revans mask plus mod might work though, because

There is a Revan model in the game, same as the old one.
 Darkkender
01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by kampher
O ok, Now i see what your saying Darkkender. Im new to modding, so I never thought about looking at it from that perspective. Ill have to go dig around for my kotor 1 game, and see if what you said works. I think that the revans mask plus mod might work though, because

There is a Revan model in the game, same as the old one.

In the mod you are refering to by T7nowhere, T7 has a custom model that is used for the mask.
 kampher
01-11-2005, 11:26 AM
No not the mask, the robes. I wont be able to get the mask to work because as you said, it is a new model.
 Darkkender
01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Robes are also model driven.
 StormSinger
01-11-2005, 1:58 PM
Porting this particular mod over to K2 should be possible with just a little work. The original files are still there as far as I can tell, but enough has changed that it won't port straight across.

If I didn't have so many other things going right now, I'd put some time into it.
 Whitebloodcell
01-12-2005, 7:52 AM
Do you intend to release any of your mods soon, other than the HK Factory, which by the way, thanks.
 Mandalorian X
01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
He said this weekend. Possibly Friday.
 Dak Vesser
01-12-2005, 1:31 PM
Ok I'm back after getting my phone line back up and paid "lol"

Has anybody tried doing this: I exported a few KotorII "head models" and some "clothes models" with all of their mdx and texture files over to Kotor1, rigged up the appearance.2da files for the Main PC, started Kotor1, clicked on "New Game" and right in the middle of the load screen "Freeze". <---Did the same thing on all the saves too.

So I'm guessing that the KotorII models have animation scripts and codes that are foreign to Kotor1. I know that "Mdlops" and "Extract0-5 or later" couldn't read nor re-write them to ascii. For G-max.

All I got out of those two programs was "What?" or "Huh?" and nothing "lol"

I was just wondering if anybody else tried doing this and had the same results?

I haven't tried "Vice'a'verse"
 Darkkender
01-12-2005, 4:54 PM
Ok I'm back after getting my phone line back up and paid "lol"

Has anybody tried doing this: I exported a few KotorII "head models" and some "clothes models" with all of their mdx and texture files over to Kotor1, rigged up the appearance.2da files for the Main PC, started Kotor1, clicked on "New Game" and right in the middle of the load screen "Freeze". <---Did the same thing on all the saves too.

So I'm guessing that the KotorII models have animation scripts and codes that are foreign to Kotor1. I know that "Mdlops" and "Extract0-5 or later" couldn't read nor re-write them to ascii. For G-max.

All I got out of those two programs was "What?" or "Huh?" and nothing "lol"

I was just wondering if anybody else tried doing this and had the same results?

I haven't tried "Vice'a'verse"

Ok I'm going to say this really loud and clear in the hopes that somebody who is following this thread and reads previous posts will catch this and understand it.

KOTOR 2/TSL uses a Different Model Format from the one that was used in KOTOR 1 they are "NOT COMPATIBLE" You will continue to have this problem with the models between the 2 games! What does this mean for Textures probably they 2 will be slightly uncompatible as the texture will look for reference points within the model or will be more likely patterned to be applied to that model which means it will not look right in game for KOTOR 1. The files may be named the same between KOTOR 2 & 1 as MDL & MDX but they are formated differently. * - huge red font removed! -

Now some may consider the above post as rude or inflamitory but I believe at this point it might be necessary as my last 5 posts have all revolved around this subject the fact that people are still posting about it says nobody is paying close enough attention.

* There is no point in using caps or huge red font here.

Also, from what I can see in game, the model format in Kotor 2 may not be different from Kotor 1 (or if it is, then it will not be a huge diffference) as Obsidian re-used many models from Kotor 1. Many armors in Kotor 2 are just reskins of Kotor 1 armors. Also, even if the model format is different, textures should work fine.

- Darth333-
 Dak Vesser
01-12-2005, 6:10 PM
Well Said! my friend, I only did that just becasue I was bored "lol"

Makeing new Textures will be the way to go from here on...
 Doc Valentine
01-12-2005, 7:55 PM
hmmmm I extracted one of the face textures from Kotor 2 and gave it to TemporaryTomato, he said it worked fine, im also using two of the saber textures over the old ones
Viridian and Silver sabers
So im pretty sure that the textures are ok. Just my 2 cents.
-GSCCC
 StormSinger
01-12-2005, 11:21 PM
They should work fine. I've been using textures between PC/xbox for 6 months without a problem.

I've been using various tga's in K2 for a month without a problem.
 Dak Vesser
01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Look for the 4c410014 folder in the UDATA folder (in the save zip).
Inside that folder is a 167B1955DCEB folder. You should be able to just dump that single folder into the /UDATA/4c410014/ folder on your xbox and run the save.

Huh, Action Replay worked just fine for me with that save. I Just transered it onto my memory card, stuck it in the xbox just using the regular Xbox dashboard...

;)
 DarthPsycho
01-14-2005, 1:40 PM
Is it possible to edit the 2DA files so that you start with a lighsaber.

Also has anyone edited the influence.2da file, what values would you put to have maximum influence for all your characters

Ta
 Dak Vesser
01-14-2005, 3:41 PM
I don't think that there's anyway or anywhere in the 2D array to start inventory at the character setup.

The easiest way to get a Lightsaber at the start of the game, is to just drop one in one of the corpses. A corpse is a placeable In the Modules that you can find in the RIMs file.

When your character wakes up out of the Kolto Tank at the start of the game, that's RIMs "101PER_s.rim" You can look in Blueprint, Placeables within 101PER_s.rim, and you'll find "g_tresgencorp005.utp" <---That's the first corpse (with the "Vibrocutter") you find after you talk with Kreia and leave to unlock the first door.

With Kotor II, Fred Tetra's Kotor Tool is having a problem when it comes to looking at the inventory through the "Placeable Editor" It's better to just extract the file out and use GFF editor to add Items. In this case a Lightsaber.

That's the way I do it.
Page: 2 of 3