Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Dianogas

Page: 1 of 1
 Empire Defender
10-16-2004, 1:55 PM
Hi all ! It would be intersting to see how you have made the dianogas, cause they're very different in the original Dark Forces and in the JK's add-on Mysteries Of The Sith...

:)

Good Luck in your job and Congratulations !!!
 plokoon9
10-17-2004, 11:23 AM
sounds like a sneaky way of tryin to get some early pics of the dianoga to me...:D tisk tisk. have you no patience?:syoda:
 Ackehallgren
10-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Yes... uhh... I very much also would like to see where the inspiration comes from. I demand a picture...

Originally posted by plokoon9
sounds like a sneaky way of tryin to get some early pics of the dianoga to me...:D tisk tisk. have you no patience?:syoda:

*SHHHHHHHHH! Shut up!*

:D
 Magic_Al`s DF
10-17-2004, 5:20 PM
"Pardon me, George, is that some dianoga poo-poo?" -- Mark Hamill :D
 MikeGunther1969
10-17-2004, 8:14 PM
Talk about your ultimate suprise!!! Now we know what the brown stuff in the Anoat sewers really is. Maybe we should have a skin of Kyle with hip waders in a future release LMFAO!!!
 FatSpider
10-17-2004, 9:31 PM
Damn, now that your mention it, a few different skins for specific levels would be really neat. Some kind of Assualtt BIO suit would be cool. And some kind of Covert suit.

Ideas are brewing.
 plokoon9
10-18-2004, 3:11 PM
I cuncur... (funny that i never thought about it before, or did I?) it would be pretty sweet to see kyle in different outfits, especialy on the ice planet.

We wouldn't want our hero to freeze his poor wittle fingers now would we...:D

"And now Kyle in his SUBZERO SUPER COOL SNOW PANTS GEAR complete with snowball throwing karate chop action, and little light up lazer eyes and complete with sound effects from evrything to 'gimme your money' and 'die you imperial bastards' "
 MikeGunther1969
10-18-2004, 3:52 PM
Sounds like Plokoon9 wants to cross Kyle Katern with Duke Nukem. "Those imperial bastards are gonna pay for trashin' my ride...let's rock!!"
 Ackehallgren
10-19-2004, 6:13 AM
Well, actually that would be a great idea! I only think you should have four though...

1. Mercenary (the usual one)

2. Topless one (Jabbas ship)

3. Anteevy Snow planet (Jaden has one on, cant u use that one?)

4. Something else...

But I really think that should be it. I don't want a jillion suits like, ninja kyle or, stealth kyle :P
 Benevolence
10-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Ackehallgren
2. Topless one (Jabbas ship)

We'll use a shirtless Captain Kirk model to base it off of! :D
 HapSlash
10-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Topless one (Jabbas ship)
:emodanc:

But I really think that should be it. I don't want a jillion suits like, ninja kyle or, stealth kyle :P

:snear:
 Ackehallgren
10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by HapSlash
Topless one (Jabbas ship)
:emodanc:

:snear:

What? You dont agree? :p
I mean, lets not exxagurate.
But I really feel it would be cool for him to get some hoth gear... :D
 Algardex
10-19-2004, 12:03 PM
a Topless Kyle skin for J's ship hmmm!!. How about a topless, nude, semi nude ,thong underwear, slave/bondage outfit, sexy plasma style Jan Ors skin for J' ship?:D (Someone was going to post this eventualy)
 plokoon9
10-19-2004, 1:42 PM
that's friggin hiarious:D

but seriously I kinda like the idea of a shirtless kile for the jabba level. Perhaps until he gets his gear back? the snow one seems fairly necessary, and anything other than that... such as kyle in rubber fly-fishing pants for the sewer level...

now that i think of it does that red planet have a breathable atmosphere?
Are you making some sort of breathmask? I know they had one in the game... which I don't remember using... but it did have a sweet darth vader like breathing sound effect

When kyle goes to the red planet/the sewer levels can his clothes get dirty or stained? or is he all perfect after he goes through all that sewege/red dust?

I'm no expert on the subject... ok I know NOTHING about this, but is there some sort of filter which could be applied to all the models on these levels to make them look dirty?

I'm not one to push on the subject of course... i mean who's gonna make the skins anyway... cough... hapslash... cough... we don't want to make anyone work too hard, unless this person really wants to...
 HapSlash
10-20-2004, 10:03 AM
A filter probably wouldn't look that great for a dirty effect, a new skin would be better for that.

What? You dont agree? :p
I mean, lets not exxagurate.
But I really feel it would be cool for him to get some hoth gear... :D

I was just poking fun at myself. A while back, I made a stealth kyle skin.
 MikeGunther1969
10-21-2004, 7:18 PM
OK, OK, enough already...If you need a new skin with cool accessories, how about ASH...complete with cheesy dialogue and of course the 2 most necessary accessories...His chainsaw right hand and his BOOOOOOOMMMstick.
Hail to the KING , baby!!
 Ackehallgren
10-22-2004, 6:56 AM
Originally posted by HapSlash
A filter probably wouldn't look that great for a dirty effect, a new skin would be better for that.
I was just poking fun at myself. A while back, I made a stealth kyle skin.

OOH... I'm sorry... Didn't mean it like that, I ment for the mod :)

Sorry.

Although the filter sounds great, but I still dont think you guys should add more than 4 versions of his clothes.

Why I want a (real muscular) topless Kyle is cause well, he was topless in the cutscene if I remember right, plus...

Would Jabba let him face a Kell armed with panzer armor?...

... No ...

And as Plokoon9 pointed out, only till ya get the gear :)
 Benevolence
10-22-2004, 8:33 AM
Why I want a (real muscular) topless Kyle is cause well, he was topless in the cutscene if I remember right, plus...

Actually, he wasn't topless. He wore a plain white shirt.
 Ackehallgren
10-22-2004, 8:36 AM
He did? Well... I still want to see him without a top

*EDIT*

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-52935/games/img/dark1/darkpic4.jpg)

Ok, yeah, he did have a shirt. Still think you should have him topless... Then ya can actually essentuate his abs and show how strong he would have to be to do all these things.
 Fracman
10-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Kyle is not like Arnold :o
 Neverhoodian
10-22-2004, 12:03 PM
True...but he's no Woody Allen, either. :p

I think different outfits for Kyle isn't a bad idea, but they should keep it simple. I wouldn't want him to change his outfits as frequently as Amidala does. Maybe just have cold weather gear for ice themed levels and a roughed-up outfit for Jabba's ship.
 Fracman
10-22-2004, 3:21 PM
agreed.
Some few different outfits, just the most necessary for the mercenary ;)

I guess Kyle would not go anywhere
without his leather' ...
...( is it some?) jacket ...
and a blaster in his pocket :D

This is not a tragedy
just DF Mod Poesy :p
 I.M.H.D.
10-22-2004, 3:36 PM
Sidney says that Poesie must "teach through delight" and "draw us to as high a perfection as our degenerate souls, made worse by their clayey lodgings, are capable of." Furthermore, Poesie must "feign noble images of virtues, vices, or what else, with... delightful teaching." I'm afraid that I don't feel like my soul has been made any purer or my mind has been made any greater by the preceeding work of "Poesy." Perhaps this?

"I feel my soul rise
When I think of virtuous
Kyle in other dress."

Now THAT is a spiritually uplifting and virtuous haiku!
 plokoon9
10-22-2004, 10:06 PM
and here come the beetnicks...

:mm1

the once and glorious dark forces has now degenerated into the worst form of art possible... poetry. And at that rate it's the worst kind of poetry... haikus...

excuse me while I begin to cut myself...

:chop1:

and I don't mean the good way either...

Don't you just love this little smilie pictures... :D
 I.M.H.D.
10-22-2004, 10:49 PM
As Kyle was blasting stormtroopers galore
And Jan made funnies on the radio
A man appeared, floating high o'er the gore,
His voice upwards soared, drowning Kyle's audio.
"What ARE you doing, you mean little man?
"I think you should know life's sanctity, Kyle!
"Your violence here is not in My plan,
"You'll wreck our rating! Make mothers spew bile! :barf:
"Our gaming industry's stuck in a rut;
"What we need now is public acceptance!
"We must stay away from all blood and guts;
"So you'l just have to make an abscondence!"
And Kyle bowed his head and sank to the ground;
Lucas had spoken, and 'twas quiet all 'round.

Phooey... no room to mention the need for more comic relief in DF... oh well...

PS: Yes, I love the smiley. :elephant:
 Ackehallgren
10-23-2004, 1:47 AM
I'm not even gonna say anything...
 MikeGunther1969
10-23-2004, 8:46 AM
A nice kid from Tatoonie,
grew up to really mean.
He became a Jedi,
said "it's time to die",
and killed everyone on the scene!!!

Friggin Beautiful!!!!!...a masterpiece!!...oh BTW did you hear about that guy from Nantucket?
 I.M.H.D.
10-23-2004, 9:58 AM
Terza rima:

Midway on my life's journey, I found myself
Esconsed in a vale of horrible fear;
I tried to climb out, but I could not mount the shelf.

I began to wail and beat my breast, shed many a lonesome tear,
It seemed that I would never know the peace
That comes with the three-level demo's premier.

Oh, when can I say that my waiting will cease?
When can I say that this indecent penance is done?
When can I say that I have known the DF Mod's release?

No, never never never never never will I have my fun;
Never never never never never will the wait be over;
Never never never never never will my fate be undone.

I am doomed ever more to be a game-to-game rover;
For the DF mod will never be complete;
And my tears shall drop like rain onto the clover.

Alas! I must my heart and bosom beat!
If only if only even the demo were complete!

Hey, that's actually pretty fun when you don't have to worry about scansion or even the number of feet in a line... cool.

So... uh... will we ever actually see the demo, or does my lament bear the unfortunate ring of truth?
 Neverhoodian
10-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Off to the computer I run,
In hopes of some Dark Forces fun,
But to my dismay,
No demo today,
I wonder, will it ever be done? :confused:

This poetry thing is contagious! :p
Now for something a little more lighthearted...

There once was a small group of gamers,
Who were fond of calling folks "lamers,"
They whined and they cried,
'Cause their characters died,
From the slash of their foe's lightsabers.
 plokoon9
10-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Time to ask whatever various heathen gods which created you "Why? WHY?!?"

look what i've started...

o well, if you can't beat em join em

Oh my,
where is my pie?
perhaps it did die,
or away it did fly.
That'll be the day
when I see a pie fly says I.
Oh my, where is my pie...

perhaps this belongs in a different forum... one which I dare not mention:D
 I.M.H.D.
10-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, I see that FatSpider has referred to us as "gentile people" in his latest .plans post... obviously there's some kind of theme here. I guess that poetry is considered highly antithetical to more spiritual matters... Sidney would have a hernea.

I just have to write a measly few lines,
And suddenly I'm slapped with "pagan!" signs.

Couplets are easy. ;)
 MikeGunther1969
10-23-2004, 4:43 PM
Perhaps a little Don Mclean?

So bye, bye, Dark Forces Demo pie,
I keep on looking at the website, but the website is dry.
No game to play, just a big heavy sigh,
Singin' this just brings a tear to my eye...(piano)...
this just brings a tear my to eye....(And the guitar kicks in!!)

Rock & Roll...poetry set to music!!
AND Still keeping with the PIE theme!!

BACK TO YOU!!!!
 plokoon9
10-23-2004, 8:43 PM
You're my friggin hero MikeGunther1969!:D
 MikeGunther1969
10-25-2004, 2:40 PM
That dianoga looks really weird....here's hoping it's as scary looking alive as it is dead. It's......creepy.....giving me cold chills looking at it. Fantastic job!!!
 jedispy
11-14-2004, 1:18 AM
O.k. my turn:

Sith sabers are red,
Kenobi's is blue,
Some poems rhyme,
and other don't.

Dianoga looks cool. I am highly interested in the dianogas because they are also in SOTE. Since I will have them in our mod, I have a keen eye on this dianoga. It's great and violent, but I had to laugh when I tried a NPC spawn in the pool of water in the anoat level. The dianoga drowned. LOL!!! Needless to say it was not coded to exist under water. Still couldn't help but laugh.

Nice work on it guys. I think I will use it in our mod, but with some modifications on the animtion. In both MOTS and SOTE, the dianogas flail their tentacles around a bunch. They also can swim, whereas this one can not. (again, not done in the original DF game, so not needed in this context.)

I agree with Mike, creepy is a good descriptor. I think my favorite part of it is the eye. Man that's spooky.
 The_One
11-14-2004, 2:51 AM
As we keep saying over and over again in thread after thread...

We know the dianoga is not very scary.
We know the animations aren't great.
We know it doesn't go in and out of the water.
We know its tentacles don't flail everywhere.

All these things are impossible without code - something we don't have for the SP engine. What we did was the best we possibly could do given what we had to work with. Now we're moving to the multiplayer engine, we will be able to code one bad ass dianoga that will scare you sh*tless ;)
 jedispy
11-14-2004, 8:58 AM
We know the dianoga is not very scary.
We know the animations aren't great.
We know it doesn't go in and out of the water.
We know its tentacles don't flail everywhere.

I meant no disrespect. The dianoga in Dark Forces is totally different than in SOTE and MOTS. I wouldn't expect them to be the same. As for the drowning in water....you have to admit that's pretty dang funny!!

Seriously, I am impressed with the dianoga. It is scary. It moves FAST, totally unlike the dianogas in SOTE and MOTS. Those ones are way slow, and you an outrun them if you swim in the other direction.

I tested yours with a NPC spawn on dry ground. I couldn't outrun it. Nice work. That's what I would expect from an underwater creature. How many people can outswim a great white shark?

I'm only sorry that you guys aren't completely finished with the mod. I was on a high the whole time while playing that I forgot it was only 3 levels. I need my DFMOD trip!!!!!!
 MikeGunther1969
11-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Any thoughts on the dianoga colors? Are you sticking with flesh brown or going to change them up a bit? (My kid is curious since I posted his suggestion)
 Suprosa
11-14-2004, 5:14 PM
I think the dianoga should be faster so that once u jump in the sewage u'll be under attack in less than 2 seconds and you'll be caught offguard going "WTH?!" scrambling to blast whatevers beating the heck outa you.

I didnt even bother fighting most of the dianoga in the mod cuz they werent a threat :p
 CortoCG
11-15-2004, 6:20 AM
Originally posted by MikeGunther1969
Any thoughts on the dianoga colors? Are you sticking with flesh brown or going to change them up a bit? (My kid is curious since I posted his suggestion)

I think the colors are appropiate for the kind of creature, taken from some examples from mother nature. What does you have in mind? Maybe I can work some alternative down.
 CortoCG
11-15-2004, 6:23 AM
Originally posted by Suprosa
I think the dianoga should be faster so that once u jump in the sewage u'll be under attack in less than 2 seconds and you'll be caught offguard going "WTH?!" scrambling to blast whatevers beating the heck outa you.

I didnt even bother fighting most of the dianoga in the mod cuz they werent a threat :p

The dianoga's behaviour issue was explained as a lack of AI program capabilities. This was cleared out from the beginning, and without the proper coding work it cannot be solved.
 Ackehallgren
11-18-2004, 8:13 PM
HIHI... Not a mistake on anyones part but its kinda funny :D
If you use cheats.... uh... I was told by a buddy... Yeah... by a buddy... And you get force grip, when you strangle the Dianoga it like gets all stale with the tentacles and float around :D a lot of fun can be had with cheats (after you complete the demo)
Page: 1 of 1