Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

This forum has virus' in it

Page: 1 of 1
 Suprosa
09-05-2004, 2:44 PM
Norton Internet Security keeps blocking and deleting these same 4 virus' that come up everytime I come to your forums. This is a fresh computer, new hard drive, just installed Windows XP (without service pack 2), so it's not my computer. There is something wrong on your forum.
 CortoCG
09-06-2004, 6:34 AM
There's something wrong with norton internet security. Get a linux gateway and another antivirus.
 Darth_Linux
09-06-2004, 9:11 AM
I think the pop-ups on this forum (which we do not control and are mandated by Lucas Forums dot com) probably would like to control some kind of ad-tracking cookies on your PC. Norton probably considers this a virus.

The best solution I have found is just to run a pop up blocker that disables all pop-ups unless you press CTRL (XP SP2 does this).

Sorry for the hassle- you can email Lucas Forums, but I doubt they will do anything about it :(
 TK-8252
09-06-2004, 1:21 PM
This has been an issue for a long time, and affects a number of forums. In the Forum Help & Feedback Center forum, there's a thread about this, here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126587).

The Administrators have been trying to get our ad supplier, UGO, to get some more appropriate ads. Pop-up ads that contain trojans are simply no good and should not be happening. There's also been complaints about banner ads that contain inappropriate content, such as an ad for screensavers which shows a girl wearing a revealing bikini in a sexy pose, etc.

Hopefully UGO will stop this once and for all.
 Mercenary
09-09-2004, 11:18 AM
It sucks it happens in this forum. The people behind this have some serious ethical problems. I know you guys would get more visitors and generate more interest if the forums didn't have this problem that no doubt scares people away.
 Kurgan
09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Try using Opera instead of IE. I don't see any pop-ups at all....

LavaSoft Adaware will remove spyware from your computer too in case there is any. If you have some evidence for what popups you're getting or giving you viruses, please email me, 'cause that's not good...
 Shrub91
09-14-2004, 8:03 AM
They should get a new ad supplier, plain and simple... chicks in bikinis with trojan ads are completely perverted.
 HapSlash
09-14-2004, 1:04 PM
I know what everyone's going through. It got to the point where I wouldn't have come to the forum anymore, but since I was on the team, I would check it every week or so and would have a lot of cleaning to do afterwards.

For those getting hosed whenever they come to the forums, the only advice I have, is to stop using IE and switch to a browser with a built in pop-up blocker. Ever since I switched to Mozilla's Firefox, I haven't had a single virus or trojan on my machine. It does take a little longer to load up, but the problems it prevents makes it more than worth the wait. Firefox works basically the same way IE does. In fact, no one else who uses my PC really noticed when I switched over.

I know that this isn't a real solution. We shouldn't have to swap out our browsers. But, until someone actually does something about it, it's the only suggestion I have that will work.

Perhaps we should stick a thread up that explains the problem to new visitors, and contains a list of links where they can get pop-up blockers, or browsers with them built in.
 ZBomber
09-14-2004, 1:08 PM
I've been getting attacked even WITH Firefox.....
 Benevolence
09-14-2004, 4:53 PM
The pop-up blocker in service pack 2 for XP works really well.
 SlicerDude
09-14-2004, 5:08 PM
Interestingly enough, I've never had any problems with this forum with IE on my Win98 PC. This is probably due to some combination of security settings and the Google toolbar's popup blocker. I never even got a window asking me to install anything, so I suspect the popup containing the ad was blocked or that it somehow involved a pseudo-popup that never loaded before I closed it. Even if I had gotten the window with the spyware, I could have just clicked "No" on IE security box that pops up whenever something's trying to install itself.

Now I'm using FireFox and I'm not getting any sort of popups or problems at all.
 recombinant
09-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by HapSlash
Ever since I switched to Mozilla's Firefox, I haven't had a single virus or trojan on my machine.

I'll second that. Firefox is my friend now. ;)

...except when I have to go to the MSDN site (Microsoft Developer Network). Then I have to switch to IE to get it to view properly, but that's rare.

:holosid:
 I.M.H.D.
09-18-2004, 6:36 PM
Firefox is OK, but I far prefer Opera. I simply like its feel a lot better than that of the other contenders. It's a personal preference, I suppose.

Oh-- and I've never had a single popup problem. They come up when I want them, and stay away when I don't. It's the life... ;)
 gana
09-21-2004, 4:33 AM
each time i went on the forum , i have a trojan on my computer.
My AVP monitor destroy it, but i have to scan my disk after because it doesnt destroy it completely....
i like this forum, for what reason exactly does lucas forum not react???
Page: 1 of 1