Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Co-Op Gametype Progress

Page: 1 of 2
 razorace
07-30-2004, 12:38 AM
(all maps are listed in terms of the order they are normally played ingame)

Playable:

All of Intro Sequence Missions

All of Tier 1

All of Hoth Mission

- t3_rift

Broken:

- t2_dpred (Rax's navigation gets stuck in the mission start cutscene. I'm guessing it's due to more lax waypoint code.)

Broken Features:

- saber droids - currently hack replaced with Reborn Master.
- remote droids (seekers) - hack replaced with howlers.
- Force Pull Level 1 doesn't cut it for the door switch on yavin2. (I'm guessing that the Pull's targeting can't get the func_static that's used to trigger that lever.

Legend:

Playable - These maps can be played start to finish without any hang ups. This doesn't mean that they are prefect however.

Broken - These maps can't be played because some critical element is preventing players from continueing thru the level.
 RoxStar
08-17-2004, 12:04 PM
So do we need to edit those files or something?
 razorace
08-17-2004, 2:39 PM
No, it's coding stuff that I gotta do.
 RoxStar
08-17-2004, 7:20 PM
Oh OK. I thought it was for scripting changes.
 Supermax2004
08-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Is it possible to play JK2 cooperative? How?
 razorace
08-24-2004, 12:25 PM
working on that.
 RoxStar
08-24-2004, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by Supermax2004
Is it possible to play JK2 cooperative? How?

Coding and script work mostly
 recombinant
08-30-2004, 8:48 PM
Razor.. this is awesome. I didn't know you were working on a co-op project! Keep up the good work and let me know if you need a hand with anything...
 razorace
08-30-2004, 10:33 PM
heck, I can always use a hand.
 Riotr
09-02-2004, 2:02 PM
Great JOB!!!!! nice WORK!!!

really looking forward to this :D :D :D :D :D
 FireHeaven
09-21-2004, 9:56 AM
I have a question...when and if this is completed...will a map maker be able to make a single player map, specifically designed to be player as Co-Op? If so, what does he/she have to do?

Thanks, looking forward to it.
 razorace
09-21-2004, 8:14 PM
Yep. The only difference is with some minor changes to the ICARUS scripting (which most maps don't use anyway).
 Obi2dontknowme
10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Just tried out the Coop over Lan with a friend. It's awsome what you've done with it. This is what this game has been missing. There are obviously some issues. I had a few maps crash but this is to be expected i guess.

Will you have the rest of the workable maps in the next release or is this it?

Thanks for the great mod!
 Obi2dontknowme
10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Also, i was just getting ready to test it on a custom single player map, and got to thinking how great it would be if we could play the dark forces mod in CoOp mode.

How compatable do you think it'll be Razor?
 razorace
10-07-2004, 1:12 PM
I'm glad you've enjoyed the mod so far. I know that it's still pretty buggy but hopefully I'll be able to fix things up more when I have more time.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold out much hope for compatibility with Dark Forces mod. I honestly don't think they're making much progress on it. As I recall, they annouced another demo like way back at Christmas without any results.
 Obi2dontknowme
10-07-2004, 2:02 PM
I was over there last week and they said they finished the Beta. there was a post from 9-17-04 saying we'd be playing it within a week or so. But you're prolly right. it's been way too long in the making.

Keep up the good work bro.

L8
 razorace
10-07-2004, 3:36 PM
Well, we will see.
 recombinant
10-07-2004, 4:17 PM
...I wouldn't hold out much hope for compatibility with Dark Forces mod. I honestly don't think they're making much progress on it. As I recall, they annouced another demo like way back at Christmas without any results.

I'll chime in here, razorace, since you let me know that this discussion is going on... :D

Speaking for the Dark Forces team, progress is being made for the three-level demo that is going to be released very soon. It's basically in pre-release testing mode and the team is working furiously to get it out. The reason for the delay recently is that we really want to deliver a solid product. All the maps, models, scripting are done, but we're going through a standard software QA phase before release to be able to achieve that goal.

Also, i was just getting ready to test it on a custom single player map, and got to thinking how great it would be if we could play the dark forces mod in CoOp mode.

Awesome idea.

The DF maps are standard JKA SP-compliant maps, so the co-op should be able to handle them. And, assuming the co-op can load up SP maps via the console, so you should be able to load up the DF maps after the release of the demo. As far as actually playing the whole game in co-op, I really can't answer that. But it's a great goal to think about pursuing.

:holosid:
 razorace
10-07-2004, 5:38 PM
Well, it's nice to hear that progress is being made. Unfortunately, most modders are just all talk.

Anyway, OJP handles CoOp maps just like another type of map so you can load up the maps thru the actual menus instead of with the console.
 Salv
10-07-2004, 9:16 PM
Well, it's nice to hear that progress is being made. Unfortunately, most modders are just all talk.
I know what you mean. Still, being one of the actual mappers from the mod I can say that it isnt as easy as it looks. What hinders mods more than anything else is that you dont see the people you work with and communication is all done through mails and messages, not exatly a good convination.
Second reason would be that both me and FatSpider are fairly newcomers to mapping, and when that happens Murphy's law is an inminent costant.
Im positive my next map can be done is half the time I took to make Talay and tweak Secbase.
 razorace
10-07-2004, 9:21 PM
Well. I suggest you guys try using IM services. They definately improve the lines of communication.
 recombinant
10-09-2004, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Well. I suggest you guys try using IM services. They definately improve the lines of communication.

We already do. Most of us are on ICQ, and some are on MSNM.

We also utilize #dfmod on irc.gamesurge.net for online team meetings, as well as our private team forums, so the communication is quite good.
 recombinant
10-09-2004, 9:50 AM
Yep. The only difference is with some minor changes to the ICARUS scripting (which most maps don't use anyway).

Could you elaborate on this topic a bit, razorace (or you could just email/pm me as well if you don't want to post it here)?

DF does use scripting, so knowing what the differences are would be really helpful.

:jango:
 razorace
10-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Check out this thread for information on the script changes (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131887)

The only change is with the camera scripting.
 recombinant
10-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Awesome.

I'll check it out. If it's camera-related, then it probably won't apply to us, but you never know... :D

Thanks!
 razorace
10-09-2004, 7:56 PM
Right well, beyond that, I'd probably make some suggestions in terms of number of spawn points.

And more info on what AI is used would allow me to make sure those AI types are fully ported from SP.
 Benevolence
10-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm doing the music for the Dark Forces Mod. I was wondering if the music scripting still works or will work(using the DMS.Dat file)?
 razorace
10-10-2004, 9:32 PM
At the moment I haven't implimented the DMS sound system yet.

However, thanks for the reminder. I'll do that next. It will work just like the original DMS system once I'm done.
 Benevolence
10-10-2004, 11:08 PM
That is great news! I've noticed that the OJP project has bugfixes for JA? I was wondering if you are going to implement DMS scripting if there was a bug you could fix? I'm not sure if its a bug or a feature Raven decided to turn off, but there are music transitions (atr = Action to Explore transitions, etr= Explore to Action transitions) and the ETR transitions just do not play. I've tested this with the actual JA and the DF mod. I never ever hear an etr play. If you could turn that feature back on it would really help out with our mod should we decide (we're going to decide after our next demo is released) to use the OJP co-op features.
 razorace
10-11-2004, 1:19 AM
Well, I'll check it out when I go thru the code.
 recombinant
10-11-2004, 2:07 PM
DFMOD members (and other interested parties ;) ):

Howsabout we take this to the Possible OJP/DF CoOp Colaberation (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137842) thread in the DF forums instead of cluttering up the OJP Co-Op Progress thread...

:holosid:
 razorace
10-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Benevolence
I'm doing the music for the Dark Forces Mod. I was wondering if the music scripting still works or will work(using the DMS.Dat file)?

So, does that mean that you know how the DMS files work? I don't really understand what the varibles mean in the file. If you could explain what they mean, I could replicate the system without as much help from Raven.
 Benevolence
10-15-2004, 6:11 PM
Yeah, I figured out how the DMS.dat file works. Why don't you email me and I'll give you all the details so as not to hog the forum with lots of info no one else but you are me really care about (plus I'm exausted from coming home from work right now and don't want to type it all out here in the forum at this moment :-) ).

Just go to http://darkforces.jediknight.net)

Click on the .plans and look for one of my updates. My email address is there in a link.
 razorace
10-16-2004, 3:01 AM
Email sent.
 Samuel Dravis
10-20-2004, 4:43 PM
On a sort of related note, I was wondering if there was any code for saving the game commented out or something like that in the MP source. It would be interesting if you could save games while in coop mode...perhaps for later SP play.
 razorace
10-20-2004, 5:33 PM
No such luck, sorry.

However, I think it makes the game quite a bit more difficult since you can't quicksave/load thru difficult sections.
 Samuel Dravis
10-20-2004, 8:00 PM
What I was really thinking of is the kind of fun stuff you could do with SP campaigns in MP, running on top of OJP code, rendering the SP .exe redundant. You could have all the nice maps & scripting etc. from SP, and then the customizability of MP. Having no saves would probably be a significant problem with that idea. It's too bad.
 razorace
10-20-2004, 9:59 PM
That's my feelings as well.

I should note that I've set up the autosave points to act as progressing spawn points and dead bots stay dead when you kill them, so when you die you just have to trot back from the lastest map checkpoint.
 Samuel Dravis
10-21-2004, 9:46 AM
Hmm. I just though about having something quite similar to a quicksave option. You can spawn anything at a specified set of coordinates, right? Would it be possible to make a command that saves your position, ammo, health, armor, direction and velocity (to prevent falling exploits)? Then you could just respawn the player there, with the saved info. This wouldn't be a 'real' save, but it would be better than a static checkpoint system, especially on more difficult maps. The only thing wrong with it that I see is that people will be able to eventually wear the enemies down just by attrition, as they wouldn't respawn when you do (unless you stick a lot more info into the save, or have all NPCs spawned by triggers).
 razorace
10-21-2004, 10:34 AM
hmmm, it's an interesting idea.

I like the idea of being able to manually create a spawn point, since sometimes the checkpoints aren't well placed.

However, I don't think we can "save" the player's health, weapons, etc without totally unbalancing the game for the other players. It wouldn't be fair for the players that don't spam the quicksave.
 Samuel Dravis
10-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Well, you might put a restriction on it. Suppose no one is on the server except you (which would be common if you have custom SP campaigns using MP for better implementation). Then you would be able to save everything without fear of it being spammed.

With other players, you're quite right. I hadn't thought of that. A good default would likely be just 100 hp with no armor, or perhaps even less. You're going to have armor and health packs all over the level, and you've got other players to help as well.
 razorace
10-21-2004, 2:52 PM
hhmmm, an interesting point but I don't think it's much of an issue. Implimenting a full save system would be a huge pain in the ass to do and I don't see that many people caring about it.

There's really no need for it when you just respawn and your enemies stay dead.
 Samuel Dravis
10-21-2004, 3:05 PM
You're probably right about not many people using it. Just an idea... how difficult do you think implementing custom respawn points would be though? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to me. I might try it if you think it would be really easy.

Would it just be stick the coords in a variable, then run them through a spawn function on death? I could probably do it if so...
 razorace
10-21-2004, 3:13 PM
Just making it possible to add addition spawn points is easy. The checkpoint system already does that.

However, such points would only last as long as the game is on hat map.

The only issue I see is that people might cause problems by trying to spam the "quicksave" ability.
 Samuel Dravis
10-21-2004, 3:17 PM
Just making it possible to add addition spawn points is easy. The checkpoint system already does that.

However, such points would only last as long as the game is on hat map.

The only issue I see is that people might cause problems by trying to spam the "quicksave" ability. OK. How about making it take longer to respawn based on how fast you died?
 razorace
10-21-2004, 6:58 PM
uh, what do you mean?
 Samuel Dravis
10-21-2004, 7:52 PM
So that you don't run off to get yourself killed and then respawn at the same location a second later with full HP - which would be pretty much invulnerability without restriction. I meant to force the player to go into something cautiuously, that way they they can't spam reload if they die.

Here's a scenario:

P1 runs into room full of enemies. He quicksaves before getting hit at all, so he's still at full HP. He gets killed, then respawns at the same point with full HP less than a second later.

You can see that would not be a very good thing.
 razorace
10-21-2004, 8:50 PM
Well, I don't think that's much of an issue since by the nature of respawning the players are pretty much sure to win anything.
 Obi2dontknowme
10-22-2004, 6:05 PM
I'm really Glad you Guys are looking at this. I'm very interested in checking the progress for sure.

I've plaied all of the currently working maps from the CoOp release. And while it's fun and i'm really glad Razor took the time to make it. You can tell the maps are really lacking because they didnt have MP in mind when they were making them. But i can tell that a skilled maper with CoOp in mind could make some kick ass maps to work with OJP. I mean the CoOp mode seems to work flawlessly it's just the map tweeks required to make the game playable dont always fill the gaps.

There are a few places where you can use Force jump to jump over the walls and fininsh a map in 2 min.....Stuff like that.

I'll be checking in to see what you guys decide to do.
 Samuel Dravis
10-22-2004, 6:58 PM
@ Obi: Good to see someone checking in on the forum. :)

@ Razor: I guess it would be kind of irrelevant. It just depends on how annoying you want dying to be. I don't think there would be any downside to death like there is when you have to reload in SP and have the enemies at full HP again as well as yourself.
Page: 1 of 2