Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ummmm Demo?

Page: 1 of 1
 Obi_Kwiet
07-02-2004, 1:18 PM
The demo's been impending releace for quite a while... Any news?
 The_One
07-02-2004, 6:38 PM
Hang in there buddy ;)

We want to give you a perfect mod, and that takes time...

Not long now...
 CortoCG
07-02-2004, 10:47 PM
We don't wanna rush any release and have a negative reaction like the AOTC TC mod did. Also, you know we are working hard on it, since the screenshots are no lie. After the demo is released, I believe much more screenshots and newer ones will be posted :P.
 Neverhoodian
07-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by CortoCG
We don't wanna rush any release and have a negative reaction like the AOTC TC mod did.

And we appreciate it, believe me. There's nothing worse than a hastily released file with errors and bugs up the ying-yang that render the game practically unplayable, as the AOTC TC demo showed.

Glad to hear that you guys are still hard at work at this. I'm sure the wait will be worth it.
 CortoCG
07-03-2004, 12:27 AM
:D We are glad to have the unconditional support of so many ppl.
 Vorec
07-06-2004, 12:52 PM
what levels are covered in the 3 level demo
 CortoCG
07-06-2004, 12:59 PM
The first three levels of Dark Forces.
 RoxStar
07-06-2004, 1:57 PM
sorry to change the topic but, what weapons will be included in this demo?
 LightNinja
07-06-2004, 2:18 PM
im sure this demo will be better than aotctc one, because that demo only changed my start image...i didnt see any maps or something to play, just the start image lol
 CortoCG
07-06-2004, 3:55 PM
It will only feature the guns you adquire during those 3 levels. I guess they're the bryar gun, the e11 blaster and some thermals.
Lightninja, eres un mamуn, jajajaja. Just kidding, I love you man.
 Obi_Kwiet
07-06-2004, 5:33 PM
Ahh, good. Makin' sure your still there. It said you were just about done a month ago. Well, I'll be looking foreward to it. In order to aviod negative reaction like AOTCTC had, just put in some content, like AOTCTC hadn't. Will you be adding MP some time?
 Master Toddy
07-06-2004, 5:56 PM
I too am looking forward to the mod. It'd just be nice to see an update every now and then that says you're sitll working on it :).
 Benevolence
07-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Well, we thank you guys for your support and patience. I would guesstimate the demo is about 2-3 weeks away from release. Don't take that as a definite though; it will be released WID no matter what I say. We hit a few unexpected snags in the past few weeks (Mostly due to physical issues with team members computers) that has pushed things back a bit. A few things that we've been working on for the longest time (such as the dianoga) have finally been completed or are very near completion (such as the talay cutscene). It's all starting to come together (I know we say that a lot, but now it really really is).

The build we have is playable all the way through yet not quite complete. It just needs some polish and to have certain things integrated into it as well as some bugs removed from it. It is a LOT of fun and well worth the wait!
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 4:56 AM
Amen! Actually I forgot to say that, thanks Ben. The beta version of the demo is fully playable indeed, and we have a nasty, ugly dianoga :D.

Corto out.
 Vorec
07-08-2004, 2:50 PM
if the diagna is in the demo i might not dl t the seweras were scary enough on df i dopnt want hi res diagna nightmares
 CortoCG
07-08-2004, 4:18 PM
Nah, it won't scare a bit, is just a good looking creature. At least it won't be scary enough without some real codework behind, and since in SP we can't change the code, it won't have any.
 LightNinja
07-09-2004, 7:47 AM
nice!!, i hope ppl dont read the dianoga thing so they will get a damn scary surprise :D
 CortoCG
07-09-2004, 8:59 AM
Lol, that's my angle of attack, so stfu El Dana ;).
 Vorec
07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
when you say no code do you mean it wont be killable or hat it wont have the floaty body thingy as in df
 Cheech Marin
07-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Is the first level in the 2nd demo going to be an updated version of the first demo? Because I think some of the control panels could use some work; the textures don't look right on them.
 CortoCG
07-14-2004, 1:22 PM
The first level has been completely reworked. As for the dianoga, it swims, it chases you, it will hit you with the tentacles, and it foats when it dies, like fish. It simply doesn't behave as accurate and cool as we would like to, it's kinda clumsy. we expect to improve this by doing some changes on the code for MP.
 Neverhoodian
07-14-2004, 2:35 PM
Wow, you got a working dianoga! Now I can be scared stiff all over again!:D
 Cheech Marin
07-14-2004, 3:05 PM
Meh, I was blasting Dianogas left and right back in the days of JK and MotS. Then again, in JO guns are about as useful as a Jamaican bobsled team...
 CortoCG
07-15-2004, 9:39 AM
At this point I don't think you'll find the dianoga scary, but more like an interesting and charming creature. I bet you'll even find it more funny if a monocle is included ;).
 MeshThe2nd
07-15-2004, 5:15 PM
Is this gonna be for Jedi Academy or Jedi Outcast? The first demo
you released was for jedi outcast. So which is this demo gonna
be for? I don't like JKA much, mostly cause of its multi-player. But
SP is at least decent enough. If it is for JKA, I'm gonna have to
keep it on my comp just for this mod alone :D

Btw, any idea on the required specs? Or is it around the same as
JKA?

Keep up the good work guys. I check this webpage everyday. So
its not like I'll miss anything if you do an early release ;)
 MeshThe2nd
07-15-2004, 5:19 PM
 Ackehallgren
07-16-2004, 11:48 AM
As long as you guys get a horrifying sound... It should be a really quiet sound at first, as if they're all waiting round the corner, and when the Dianoga actually appears it has to drown all other sounds in just... horrifying creature-screams :D

Can't wait!!!

(BTW!!! It took some time for that picture to load, and I thought: What does he mean BOO? That image almost scared me :P)
 SlicerDude
07-17-2004, 1:55 AM
I'm really looking forward to the demo now. I played through the first demo yesterday in anticipation, and when I get time I think I'll play through the first three levels of the original game.

MeshThe2nd:
The 2nd demo and the final mod will both be for Jedi Academy. (Note the banner at the top of the page: "Dark Forces: A MOD for Jedi Academy"). Also, one of the team members wrote somewhere on these forums that the requirements should be similar to Jedi Academy.

EDIT: Rearranged for clarity's sake.
 TK-8252
07-17-2004, 2:20 AM
May I ask, what will the new NPCs be in this demo?
 The_One
07-17-2004, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
May I ask, what will the new NPCs be in this demo?

- A re-worked version of Corto's Commando.
- The dianoga.
- Moff Rebus.

That's it, I think...
 Hellfire Jedi
07-17-2004, 6:13 PM
Will you guys include multiplayer versions of your gun models/player models? I'd love that, the first jk2 demo had great models.
 Master Toddy
07-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by MeshThe2nd

Btw, any idea on the required specs? Or is it around the same as
JKA?

well, here's what the system requirements for JA are according to the back of the box:

Minimum requirements:
Operating System: Windows 98/98SE/2K/XP
Computer: 100% DirectX 9.0a compatable computer required
CPU: Pentium III or Athlon class 450 mhz or faster CPU required
Memory: 128 mb ram required. 256mb ram recommended
Graphics Card: 32 mb openGL 1.4 Compatable PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator required
Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9.0a compatable sound card required
CD-Rom: Quad Speed IDE SCSI CD-Rom required
Input Device: Keyboard and Mouse required. Joysticks supported
Directx: Microsoft Directx 9.0a is included on this CD.
Note: your system may require the "latest" drivers for your particular hardware

There you have it, there's the requirements since you seem to have forgotten the requirements for JKA. Have a nice day :).
 JDKnite188
07-21-2004, 2:36 PM
I am curious. Why does the DF mod make a demo here and there when they could be spending more time on completing the whole project? There can't be too many demoes before the entire game debuts.
 Fracman
07-21-2004, 3:14 PM
... simply because we are still far far away from finishing the whole game,
and we don't want you to wait too long :p

We currently have only one really active mapper, because the other has got problems with his computer (see current news post on our website).

It is not easy to do such a mod worldwide via long distance and across different time zones. Development is slower than just running to your neighbour's door buddy, even with instant message and VoIP chats...
 SlicerDude
07-21-2004, 3:58 PM
Also, these demos help keep the community alive and excited until the final release. Although this will be the second demo, it has been a long time since the last one. And finally, although preparing the demo for release takes some additional time, it's not very much time next to the time until the whole thing is complete, and I assume that not too much is being done now that doesn't help with the final product.
 MeshThe2nd
07-21-2004, 8:49 PM
Not to mention that extra time = greater quality. Would you rather
wait 10 seconds for your hamburger at mc donalds? Or have a
nice chicken fillet prepared just the way you wanted.

The demo's actually helps us as much as them. With each demo it
gives us an idea of what the final product will be and how much
they've done so far. The demo helps them cause the public can
give ideas as to what should be done to change it.

Plus wouldn't you rather be playing a demo now then waiting until
hundreds of years from now until its done?

Keep it up guys. Don't let time bog you down. Take as long as you
need to perfect your creation. Meanwhile I'll be playing x-wing
alliance :D
 chrustec
07-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Thats soon to be 2 active mappers Fracman as I will be working on 1 of the levels after I complete the cutscene for Talay - Which I might add is about 95% complete :) which means for the community that the 3 Level Demo will be out shortly - I say that as I know we are close but shortly does not mean tomorrow it means when the entire team come to agreement that the demo meets our high standards to be released to the world. As some of you know I dont post often in the Forums (team) and even less often in the public Forums but I do browse them from time to time and am glad to see the enthusiasm of the Community and hope that they will enjoy playing the Mod as much as our team has enjoyed making it.

Thanks Guys and Stay tunned for more updates.
 JDKnite188
07-23-2004, 7:22 PM
Your points are understandable, but the fact is that the mod was started when the JO community was at its peak. Currently, the mod has traversed into JA. Will another major Star Wars FPS (even possibly the next installment of the JK series) before this mod is complete?

I had a bad feeling about a ton of mods; I thought they would eventually die out. This has been an exception. DF2E supposedly suffered my dark anticipation.
 SlicerDude
07-23-2004, 10:31 PM
My understanding of the switch to JA for the mod is that some necessary features of the final mod would be unsupported or difficult to implement in JO. Also, because both games are built on the same engine, moving the assets from one game to the other was (relatively) painless. The final mod will be for JA, because to move it to a newer game you'd have to essentially start over.

As usual, I ask that anyone actually working on thing correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Still patiently waiting for the demo! :)
 Benevolence
07-23-2004, 11:02 PM
The move to JA was almost a nessesity. JA is a more robust and mature platform for this mod than JO, not to mention the only SDK Raven has released is for JA. We really wouldn't be able to complete this mod (or at least complete it the way we would like) without an SDK. For instance, some of the weapons in the original DF are fairly unique and haven't shown up in any other DF game. An SDK is the only way we are able to recreate these weapons and their characteristics the way we would like.

If a new Star Wars shooter came out, we wouldn't change over; even if we had an SDK. We are just way too immersed into the JA engine to move over to anything else now.

Keep checking the site reguarly. The Demo is coming together quickly! (We want to get it out the door as much as you want to play it!)
 chrustec
07-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
Your points are understandable, but the fact is that the mod was started when the JO community was at its peak. Currently, the mod has traversed into JA. Will another major Star Wars FPS (even possibly the next installment of the JK series) before this mod is complete?

I had a bad feeling about a ton of mods; I thought they would eventually die out. This has been an exception. DF2E supposedly suffered my dark anticipation.

Actually this mod started earlier than that I beleave that Darth Linux can give you a more acurate time but This mod was annouced only a few weeks after JO came out as that was when I came on board about 2 and a half to 3 months after the Mod was started.

Well the next FPS to come out will be Battlefields and I dont think our mod fits into its gameplay - Republic Commando how ever might not saying it will but its based on the unreal engine which imo is much more modable than the q3 engine but thats just my opinion :) As I make levels for both platforms but I can say for a fact that we will be releasing the final on JA as the entire team has decided this fact
Page: 1 of 1