Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Page: 5 of 5
 ImmolatedYoda
11-06-2004, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by Shamus
If you look under my posts, there's a little button labeled "www" for you to click on. ;)

Well curse me then...never noticed that button. And if I could do anything to help this mod (and the DF mod) then I certainly would, but my Photoshop skills are pretty noob (I just make random desktop backgrounds using the filters), and I have no mapping or coding experience. Just about the only things I've done related to JK have been playing the entire series :p. Don't know why I said all that, but I do wish you and your team lots of luck/success...I'll be watching (sounds freaky, doesn't it).
 sith_master2000
11-07-2004, 9:20 PM
Hey Shamus I was just wondering if we have any modelers to make things like Sarris, Gorc, Pic etc. 'Cause if we don't we're kind of scre***.
 blah2k4
11-08-2004, 5:51 PM
A sariss model was being worked on in the first DF2 Mod, but I'm not sure what happened on that front. I've been thinking of taking up a Yun model, it's much simpler than the other Jedi, if I do have success with it I'd move on to the others, I'm not promising much, but I do have a little start by having on old attempt at an Anakin model, the garb will be altered and simplified to match Yun's, we'll see how it goes. If I have any notable progress I'll post it up. I really wish Lightwave could be used for this, unfortunately the sheer poly count and conversion process wreaks havoc with any creation.
 blah2k4
11-09-2004, 5:01 PM
I'm in need of a little help in locating some decent pics of Yun, unforunately I'm missing one of my DF2 CDs, anyone have a website with some good stills from the game or possibly something from the comics?
 MikeGunther1969
11-09-2004, 8:15 PM
I think you can find Yun on the Massassi Temple site. Unfortunately, the downloads are down right now, I think all of the DF MOD downloads blew up their server. The Df team did such a great job, all the downloading has smoked several servers.
 Locutus_of_Borg
11-14-2004, 2:54 PM
Shamus are we getting our own forums soon? I think this one's just about done (mainly as a result of being un-stuck I think).
 Zerimar Nyliram
11-14-2004, 4:19 PM
Okay. I thank you for answering my previous questions and suggestions. I now have more suggestions:

S1: According to the obectives, the final duel between Kyle and Jerec takes place inside the Valley core, which sucked up Kyle and Jerec. Now, after the FMV where Kyle defeats Bok (light side), attach to it an in-game gutscene with a hole blown in the core, and Kyle and Jerec being sucked in. The missionb ends, and when the next mission begins, and the next map is loaded, have it start out with an in-game cutscene with Kyle and Jerec plummeting from high above, and then have them be able to turn themselves upright, Force pull their free-falling sabers into their hands, and then land gently on the ground. Jerec then ignites his saber, and and it begins the familiar pan around the arena, with the camera traveling up the central tower, where Qu Rawn says his speech, "His heavy brow..." (This cutscene could also be done with the dark side.)

S2. I think you should also add tons of yellow light higher up in the air, since it's supposed to be inside the core. Perhaps have those little green and yellow "fire flies" swarming all over the place as well.

S3: After you strike the finishing blow upon Jerec, it should go into another in-game cutscene (this is on the light side, and an alternate to my previous suggestion of Kyle walking into the certal tower on the dark side). In this in-game cutscene, Kyle calls upon the surrounding power to elevate himself and Jerec into the air. They zoom upwards, and the level ends. Now you load the previous map of the Valley of the Jedi, where Kyle and Jerec are slung out of the hole in the core. Jerec limps around as the two exchange a few final saber blows, ending with Kyle striking the final blow. It'll then go into the FMV where Jerec falls down and says "I am defensless..." (This cutscene should only be for the light side. When playing the dark side, it should be replaced with my previous suggestion: Kyle walking into the central tower to consume the power.)

S4: Also note that there are no cutscenes prior to and following the fight with Bok when playing on the dark side. Perhaps in-game cutscenes can be placed here. You also do not see "the tresspass," since it has Jan in it, and she is obviously dead if you are playing the dark side. Perhaps you can edit this scene, and cut out the parts with Jan and Bok, and just show Jerec jumping into the core. (This is for the dark side only. The original cutscene is fine for the light side.)

Also, do you guys plan on making your own website?
 MikeGunther1969
11-20-2004, 12:33 PM
I just wanted to say congratulations to the newest "Big Daddy" in the modding community - Shamus. Anyone who has been dropping in on his site from time to time knows he just became a proud papa and is too busy doing honeydo's and changing diapers to Update his site right now. Good going Shamus...hope to have you back soon.

Mike
 Forceboat
11-27-2004, 5:32 AM
Shamus,

I think your site is down at the moment. I clicked on your links and got back a "Cannot Find Server" message. Is it because of bandwith, etc.? From the few pics I have seen on this forum, it looks like a promising conversion. Good job. That means everyone on the team.
 Shamus
11-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Sorry about that--I had a little snafu with my DNS provider but it should be back to normal now. :) Thanks for the heads up!
 Disco Hips
11-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Hello,

first off, congrats to Shamus & missus with the new arrival. I'm sure you're over the moon.

Now, on to more serious matters ;) Is there any chance that we can start to have a play with what's been accomplished so far? i.e. Convert the levels, apply the textures, have a run around etc? Maybe this would be for JK owners only or maybe for anyone with a copy of JO only. Or at the very least, some screenies of the new textures applied to the Nar Shardaa (sic?) level. Maybe Shamus doesn't want to bother (understandable!) but can any of the rest of the team assist with this?

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the Mod and again, congratulations to Shamus and family.
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-01-2004, 7:07 AM
Yeah, congrats guys.

Not to sound like a whiney todler, but does anyone have answered for my newest suggestions?
 Zappa_0
12-04-2004, 1:16 PM
Hello to all, DF 2 members. I have just read all 6 pages of this thread and from the looks of it you are doing pretty well. The Yun model that you are speaking of, I Have. I am currently fixing his taunts and making team colors for JA. I am also fixing Maw, Jerec, DF2 Kyle and a Sariss skin that looks wonderful. The Sariss skin was made by Mystery_Knight and is on Massassi.net and jk2files.com. I working with movies within JO and JA. Right now I am doing mostly prequel work, but one of my greatest movies I wanna do is a DF2 JK movie. I know theres not much to work on but with our combined help we can make this mod and movie come to life. I know a lot of great ppl in the JO-JA Community and im on AOTC TC team. My MSN Address is JediOutcastMovies@msn.com and website is http://www.jedioutcastmovies.2ya.com). I would really like to see and hear what else is being done in the mod and hopefully help add to it. I have played the JK series ever since DF2, which I have a lot of fond memories of. So hopefully I will hear something from someone here soon.
 Shamus
12-13-2004, 9:31 PM
If you could send some samples of the NPCs you mentioned to df2modtryouts@yahoo.com, that would be great. Thanks!
 Vorec1.1
01-08-2005, 12:18 PM
if i havent been dropped from the program i should inform you i have finished around 100 assorted textures i cant upload them as of yet but i do intend to continue work on them
Vorec
 Vorec1.1
01-08-2005, 12:18 PM
if i havent been dropped from the program i should inform you i have finished around 100 assorted textures i cant upload them as of yet but i do intend to continue work on them
Vorec
 Lennin
01-10-2005, 1:22 PM
Is there any thing I could help with? I'm not great with anything, but I am still pretty good with most editing programs. If I could be any help, it would be great
 razorace
01-10-2005, 4:43 PM
What sort of editting programs?
 Disco Hips
02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Hello all,

I'm sure this is the last thing any Mod team wants to be asked, but is there anything to report? Updates?

It's probably a bit unfair as Shamus is in the throes of babycare, but can any of the rest of the team elaborate for us?

Keep up the good work, and thanks in advance.
 razorace
02-09-2005, 11:19 AM
No updates to speak of.
 abe13
03-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I have some pics of Yun someone mentioned they need some the only ones I found plus a scatch of Yun all done excapt the face i using fo a custom skin If you want them e-mail me at abexiii@hotmail.com
 abe13
03-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey I know you already got a Kyle skin for the mod but there's another at pcgamemods.com Its the Jedi Knight Kyle.I want to know if you can use this one too,the skin is well when you play JKDF2 you see Kyle having black panits,but during game play his belt is different and he has some brown things covering his legs below the knee do you know what i'm talking about?Well this skin is the JKDF2 Kyle looks exeactly like he does in the movie's/plays in JKDF2 If you don't use it its fine its just I like it better then the other skin in the JKDF2 model pack.
 DarkStarMojo
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Work on the mod is progressing smoothly, albiet a bit slow at the moment. I'm hoping to contribute enough to have a finished Nar Shaddaa texture set by sometime in April but no promises...;)

Abe13: As far as skins are concerned, we don't have one for Kyle or any of the principal characters yet but anything we use must be original or at least credited to the original authors. If you have any of your own work you'd like to contribute, please feel free to do so. I'll look into those skins you mentioned. Thanks!
 MikeGunther1969
03-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DarkStarMojo
As far as skins are concerned, we don't have one for Kyle or any of the principal characters yet but anything we use MUST BE ORIGINAL or we must have permission of the original authors.

I am a Member of the SOTE MOD team and we went through all of this stuff on skins/models, etc...while doing basic character R&D.
Our leader, Jedispy is a good skinner, but he felt to speed things up we needed to borrow a few things, so he set out on the same course as you, ran into a bunch of dead ends (guys who no longer do this stuff any more, but the sites/mods they did were still being hosted) and did the right thing...he used the stuff anyway, making sure the original authors get the credit for the work we are using in this MOD.

The important thing to remember first and foremost is that EVERYTHING..., I mean every last friggin thing...LEC original or Mod community is the sole intelluctual property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm, LEC, Raven, Activision, ID..etc.

I am by no means suggesting you rip off anyone's work. Try to contact the original author first...really try. If you can not contact or get permission, then you can use it anyway (again because of the intellectual property mumbo jumbo). as long as you simply acknowledge that the model is indeed not yours, it is someone else's work....simply list them in the credits in the README file you ABSOLUTELY MUST INCLUDE WHEN YOU RELEASE YOUR MOD. End game credits are another good place to give proper credit where it is due.

One must keep in mind that all of this work is done as a labor of love, there is absoultely ZERO PROFIT IN ANY OF THIS WORK WHATSOEVER... for any of us...period. Nobody in the MOD community "owns" their models, is getting paid a dime for this stuff, everything MUST BE FREELY DISTRIBUTED, etc... but the correct thing to do is to give the credit for their hard work and efforts. This accomplishes two things; 1...It acknowledges the fact that you are indeed truly a standup guy, and not a ripoff artist. 2...By being such a standup guy, it may encourage more people to join the MOD in the first place, knowing everything they do, they get the credit for. After all, End game credits/readme credits is the only form of payment the original work authors ever receive, exept for the huge forum pat-on-the-back, if the MOD is truly successful.

I am the one who is doing our README, and I have to tell you, the credit is being given for everything down to the last microscopic detail. I suggest you do the same thing I did, and start with the sample README from Massassi Temple. It is a great basic readme to work from.

Don't let something as trivial as not being able to do original skins and models hold you up. Remember, the DF TEAM has given full permission to use their Skins, models, textures, etc...as long as we give props. I already have them listed in the readme file for a great many things.

Good luck, carry on, Let's play JK and SOTE on 2K5!!!
 DarkStarMojo
03-13-2005, 2:09 PM
You're absolutely right about skins and stuff like that. It's really a common courtesy to ask permission but if we can't get in touch with the original authors then we'll use what we need and give credit where credit is due. I, personally, would like to use the Jerec and Maw models that were released a long time ago (by the original JK Mod team, I think) since that would give us a jump start on some of our modeling/skinning work (which we need). Of course, Shamus would know more about what we plan to use than I would. ;)

If anybody has anything they'd like to contribute to the mod (textures, models, skins, etc.) or would like to join the team to contribute as a full member, don't be afraid to send samples of your work. We need all the help we can get.
 abe13
03-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm not a skin or modder of any kind,but I can get the original authers contacts.Plus even tho I don't know how to mod,I can however draw,i'm pretty good with charactors the eyes and faces recemble an anime look,but i'm not so good with shading or back round.If I could be of some use i'm willing I can even get some pics of charactors if you want.:blast9:
 Achilles87
03-14-2005, 5:03 PM
I may be interested in this, I'd however need to find my JK game, and draw out some sketches of the maps.

I can currently:

Map
Make Textures
Make Shaders

If you are interested in me, email me at somedevil87@yahoo.com
and I'll show you some of my previous released maps.
 DarkStarMojo
03-15-2005, 11:46 PM
As far as I know, we could use a mapper and we can always use more texture artists. I'm hoping to do some mapping work myself (preferrably on The Double Cross or Maw's level) but that's not until we have enough textures to work with or I can work something out with Shamus. In the meantime, if you're really interested in mapping and have some samples to show, (I know. This is, like, the ten millionth time I've said this) email Shamus at df2modtryouts@yahoo.com and include some images of your work, sketches of the maps, textures, etc. and he'll let you know how you fare. That's what I did.

Anyway, back to work on the mod...
 JDKnite188
03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Personally, I think that the DF2 mod crashed earlier and its too late to restart it. Why not add those who would work on the DF2 mod to the DF team, who have actually completed something substantial?
 Benevolence
03-23-2005, 3:50 PM
I was always thinking that a good way to start the project would be to make a map pack of the Dark Jedi levels. The Maw and Jerec levels might need some serious coding work, but the rest should be pretty easy to accomplish (especially the saris/yun level since they've already made the map). Of all the things I'd like to do with DF2 in the JA engine, it is play the Dark Jedi levels with the JA combat/force system. Since those levels would be the easiest to do without too much work it might be interesting to make a map pack of just those levels go gain momentum/enthusiasm for the mod.

I can completely understand why the team wouldn't want to do that. It's just an idea, take it for what you will. :)
 DarkStarMojo
03-23-2005, 4:58 PM
Personally, I think that the DF2 mod crashed earlier and its too late to restart it.

Well, when you think about the amount of time that has already been spent on the Dark Forces mod compared to how much time we've spent (about six months, maybe, as opposed to three years) it does seem kind of grim. But I assure you we'll do our best and try our hardest to see this mod through. Just think positive. :D

I was always thinking that a good way to start the project would be to make a map pack of the Dark Jedi levels.

That is a good idea and good way to get a decent chunk of mapping work done in no time (well, at least compared to the other, more complex levels). I'll pass this idea onto Shamus. Thanks! :)

Oh, by the way Benevolence, your soundtrack for the DF Mod is awesome. The demo is great and think you guys have done an excellent job. Keep up the good work!!!
 Guy-Gone_Weird
03-31-2005, 3:59 PM
Hi. I may be able to do some textures, and I have this cool CD Radio Play of Jedi Knight that you guys could use if you want. It's really well acted out, and all the actors in it sound like the ones in the cutscenes. There's also additional dialogue that clears up some things like why Yun defends Kyle against Sariss and actually includes Luke in the story at one point. Maybe you guys could use this for new in-game cutscenes or even during gameplay, like Maw's taunts and stuff?

Also, just wondering, are there any updates lately? And by any chance, has anyone made any new screenshots of any of the converted levels with the new textures in them?

Oh yeah, I was also wondering about what skins/models you need (including main characters, npcs and enemies) and which ones you already have covered (including the one in the DF Mod).

Thanks.:D

EDIT: I also have made a site/project banner for the DF2 Mod, if you guys want to use it for your website or whatever. :

http://img169.exs.cx/img169/9162/jkmodbanner9zh.jpg)
 DarkStarMojo
03-31-2005, 7:25 PM
Great banner, dude! :D I'll let Shamus know about the work you've done. In the meantime, you should contact him at df2modtryouts@yahoo.com and let him know you're interested in joining the team and how you'd like to contribute.

Oh yeah, I have taken a few screens (just for the heck of it :D) but there isn't really a lot to look at right now. Don't worry, though. There will be in good time.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.
 Guy-Gone_Weird
04-02-2005, 2:52 PM
Great, I'm happy to help. If you want me to add anything to the banner, let me know. :D
 AKPiggott
04-05-2005, 2:18 PM
Wow! I really love that banner. Did you draw it yourself or is it a compilation of other images?
 Guy-Gone_Weird
04-05-2005, 4:08 PM
It's a compilation of artwork done for the Dark Forces Trilogy novelizations and Audio Dramas. The Outside border is an elongated version of one of the remade DF2 textures.;)
 AKPiggott
04-05-2005, 7:38 PM
Ah.. I forgot about those books, I used a couple of pictures from them as research when I was making BoaM (all those years ago).

Nice work, I recognised the large cargo crate texture, yeah... hehe....
 kessno11
04-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Are you planning on releasing a public beta soon?
 DarkStarMojo
04-06-2005, 5:11 PM
In my dreams, yes. In reality, no. As of right now we're pretty far from releasing any materials publicly (aside from the textures that have been posted on Shamus' website). We haven't even begun mapping but hopefully, we will by next month. I wouldn't expect anything for quite a while, at least not before the end of the year.

Guy-Gone_Weird: Have you made any attempts at recreating textures for the mod? There are plenty of untouched textures on Shamus' website that you're welcome to try recreating. That's probably the best way for us to see what your abilities are and whether or not we want you on the team.

Take care, all.
 kessno11
04-07-2005, 4:36 PM
Didn't Shamus make a nifty little tool that transfered all Jedi Knight maps and textures, as well as 3do's to JA? But I saw that you'd have to really change the map a lot because there are tons of errors.
How much mapping of the first level have you gotten done so far?
 DarkStarMojo
04-12-2005, 9:14 PM
Sorry for not getting back to y'all sooner. I've been kind of busy mapping over the last few days.

To answer your question, yes Shamus did create a tool that converts all of those things to their JA equivalents and I'm using the converted Nar Shadda level as my frame of reference for the new version I'm making, though there's likely going to be some debate over whether it's the official version or not. :( Anyhow, three days' worth of mapping has yielded... Smiley's :D !!! That's the bar, by the way. I've also been working on menus and there's some nice progress in that department.
 kessno11
04-13-2005, 4:53 PM
What .pk3 are the menus under anyway, for JA? Could you pm me a picture of the bar area, I was wanting to see how close it looks to the original one.
 DarkStarMojo
04-14-2005, 11:46 AM
The menus are located in the assets1 .pk3 in the "menu" and "gfx" folders. As for what the bar itself looks like, only the section with the booths is 100%. I'm still tinkering with the main section of the bar. Basically, though, it's the same as the original, just the booths are wider, there's a locked door at the back (kinda of like an auxilliary exit) and teal-colored lighting which gives it a murky quality. I'll see about getting some screenshots posted to Shamus' website once I can get in contact with him.

Later.
 minilogoguy18
04-20-2005, 8:09 PM
i just recently found out about this thread and really wanna offer any help i can. i could model any vehicles you need and some of the player models and i know someone who is a very good skinnner that has done some for me. i can easily make the moldy crow if needed, and for boc i was thinkin ill import the twi-lek female model into max and change it around to be a guy so i wont have to do it from scratch. i can do some of the other characters like gorc and pic, as well as maw. and to make maw appear that he is floating just add the hover thing on him and keep his legs but make them off surfaces so that he works right but has no legs. for the maps you could remake them or just retexture them so they look better. get back to me as soon as possible cause i really wanna see one of the maps you have!
 DarkStarMojo
04-21-2005, 5:01 PM
We'd definitely be interested in having you help out if you've got the skills. We just need some samples, which could be as simple as some screens. With the end of the school year approaching a lot of us are busy with work and other obligations (not me, fortunately :D ) so I don't know how easily you can get in contact with Shamus but you should try emailing him at df2modtryouts@yahoo.com. In the meantime, PM me if you've got something you'd like us to see. I can try forwarding it to Shamus and I'd (personally) love to see what you're capable of. By the way, if anyone else who's applied or is thinking of applying wants to PM me anything, feel free. I'm trying to make sure things continue running smoothly while we all deal with the real world.

Anyway, we'll probably use the Moldy Crow model that was included in the DF Mod, since we have their permission. I also have Maw and Jerec player models that were created by the original DF2 Mod team and they're both definitely worthy of use in our mod. The rest of the Dark Jedi have yet to be attempted (as far as I know) so go ahead and do whatever you have to, to impress us. The more initiative you show the more likely you are to get on the team (I can testify to that) ;)
 minilogoguy18
04-22-2005, 1:22 AM
just one question, are maw and jeric MODELS or SKINS? because most of the ja community does not know the difference.
 DarkStarMojo
04-22-2005, 3:39 PM
They are models not skins. I think the first Jedi Knight Mod team (before it folded) made them both and released them to the public as a kind of "teaser". They might still be up on JK2files.com or pcgamemods.com (I'm not sure which).
 Zerimar Nyliram
04-22-2005, 4:10 PM
Are you guys going to get your own website?
 kessno11
05-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I was wondering if I could join up with you dudes? How would I go about doing that?
 DarkStarMojo
05-12-2005, 4:23 PM
Just send an email to df2modtryouts@yahoo.com with some samples of your best work, info one what you can do and what you'd like to do, and Shamus will get back to you as soon as possible to let you know how you fare. And just so you all know, things are a little slow right now so you might not get a response immediately. The best advice I can give to anyone looking to join the team is to keep sending in samples for inclusion in the mod. The more ambitious you are the more likely you'll get on the team sooner.

Best of luck!!!

EDIT - Kessno11: I just checked my private messages and we can definitely use another mapper (we've only two right now). How long have you been mapping, by the way?
Page: 5 of 5