Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Page: 2 of 5
 Vorec
07-01-2004, 5:10 PM
i can assist in innimate modeling and in texture recreation indeed i have already begun to do that though the shere number of textures makes it difficult o manage
 Locutus_of_Borg
07-04-2004, 7:18 AM
Originally posted by Vorec
i can assist in innimate modeling and in texture recreation indeed i have already begun to do that though the shere number of textures makes it difficult o manage
Do you mean 'in-animate', as in non-moving models?
 reaper1576
07-04-2004, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by Shamus
BTW, are you one of the original DF2 MOD writers? If so, what did you guys get done? Inquiring minds want to know! ;) [/B]

Yes i am the orginal project leader we got guite a bit done there was a number of maps at differnt stages, large chuck of textures was done. also some very early versions of part of the intro movie that was recreated. we was close to finishing the demo for narshadda
 Vorec
07-05-2004, 10:21 AM
yes i do mean in animate as in non moving ie.
Guns ammo the crow ships things like tht ive good experiance working with a variety of 3d modelers and i belive the models in jk3 were .3ds origannly ?
also what % of textures were recreated
 Shamus
07-06-2004, 1:51 PM
OK, this might be a totally insane thing to do, but I've put up the Unofficial DF2 Mod Homepage (http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod) up on my server. It's not much to look at ATM, but that will change in time ;) (to those of you with webmaster aspirations: I will only accept valid, clean XHTML with CSS for styling--no flash, no Dreamweaver, NO FRONTPAGE! :p).

I've listed this forum as the point of contact for the mod, and that seems good enough for now. I would ask that anything regarding the DF2 mod be kept in this thread--after all, this forum is dedicated to the DF1 mod. ;)

Reaper: Would you be willing to pass on your assets?
 Vorec
07-08-2004, 2:48 AM
I can knock out servearal textures a day depending on complexity the container with the chevrons is giving me a little bet of a headache but nothing major
as i was going to do the texture recreaion for myself i would like to formaly offer my services to the df2 team
 Shamus
07-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Sounds good, but before I accept I'd like to see some of your new textures. :) I PM'd you with my email address, but if it didn't go through let me know and I'll PM you again.

EDIT: I sent you an email to the address you have listed below yesterday... Have you checked that account yet? I haven't yet received a reply.

EDIT: I finally got a reply late last night (mail's moving slow for some reason) but I still haven't gotten the one with textures. :-/
 Vorec
07-08-2004, 1:52 PM
it idnt go through send email to jereth_8@hotmail.com and ill send you some samples
also you can see a piece of my work at trescom .org under fan art
its a full 3d rendered sceane
 TheBrightLight
07-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Is there a web site for the Dark Force 2 mod, if there is please tell me.

P.S. Thanks for listening.:saberg:
 Locutus_of_Borg
07-12-2004, 5:26 AM
The temporary site's here: DF2 Mod homepage (http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod)
 Vorec
07-13-2004, 7:41 PM
shamus has seen some of my wokr and has granted me the chance to work on this team
:) so i should be able to do 5-10 textures a week unless i work flat out

Vorec
 J_Bond
07-14-2004, 6:15 AM
Has anybody heard something new from Mr. Katarn? He never wrote something in this thread again. What if he has given up?
 Shamus
07-14-2004, 2:29 PM
Well, if Mr. Katarn has given up, then those of us who are still interested in seeing this through will pick up the pieces and move forward. ;)

With that said, the unofficial DF2 mod team is still looking for texture artists, modelers, and mappers. If you've got the goods and want to help out, step forward. :)

And on a completely (well, nearly completely) unrelated subject: Does anyone remember seeing any animated neon signs in either JO or JA like you see in the bar in the beginning of DF2? If so, which level is it in and where is it located?
 Disco Hips
07-14-2004, 2:46 PM
Shamus, I distinctly remember seeing the sign that you mean posted on the forum boards of the now defunct DF2 remake project as headed by Reaper. Have a word with him about obtaining it or any other assets he may be able to spare.
 Locutus_of_Borg
07-15-2004, 8:52 AM
It looks like the site's gone down. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' message. Are you re-doing it?
 Shamus
07-15-2004, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Locutus_of_Borg
It looks like the site's gone down. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' message. Are you re-doing it?

It's not down, and I've only made one change to it so far (announcing Vorec as a team member). I'd chalk it up to my ISP going flaky for a bit, as is their wont. ;) Usually the site is back up the next morning (morning as defined on the west coast of North America, that is ;)).

Disco Hips: What was the URL for this message board?
 Disco Hips
07-15-2004, 2:23 PM
Alas Shamus, I am quietly confident that the boards have long since ceased to exist.

By bringing attention to the fact I was hoping that you would be able to contact Reaper and ask him for whatever assets he is able to hand over. In a nice way of course ;)
 The_One
07-15-2004, 4:56 PM
If you guys are serious about forming a team, I might be able to sort out some team forum space for you on our own team forums. This is what the last group did, and I still have the archive of their posts stored in the forum.

E-mail me at theone@jediknight.net if you want me to throw something together for you ;) It would at least give you a place to get things going, and you'll have the added benefit of the DFMOD team around to help :)
 Nemios
07-16-2004, 9:44 AM
IMHO in every game the most important thing is gameplay. Graphics is important but not so much. Think about DF2: when it came out the graphics were already quite outdated but it was still a great game.

So I think the first and most important goal in this total conversion should be gameplay. From the posted screenshots this seems very promising. Thumbs up to Shamus! I'd really love to have a full set of the levels with NPCS, even with old textures. Those could be fixed in the following weeks/months.

A playable Total Conversion, even if not visually perfect, is a great achievment. Please don't "waste" precious time to make only a near-perfect first level with cutscenes and all. Stay on the target of a complete level set with NPCs. The exact NPCs charachters are not a priority as of new textures, IMHO. Every release should be a refinement of the last, not an add if you understand me. This way we could enjoy this TC from the start.

I hope I've been clear, it's not easy for me since I'm not english. :)
 Vorec
07-16-2004, 6:58 PM
Dont mention rthose stupid signs the last one for thegribbly lizard is driving me insane :deathii: :mad:
on another note ill redo the terxtures that dont quite tile.
Vorec *still working still recreating*
 SlicerDude
07-17-2004, 2:05 AM
If you're looking for the thread on this forum for the old project, you just have to set it to show posts further back, as it is no longer sticky like this thread and it was last posted to 4-6-04. It's still there, though, four pages of discussion and all. Perhaps we can glean some useful info from it.
 Shamus
07-17-2004, 2:32 AM
Originally posted by The_One
If you guys are serious about forming a team, I might be able to sort out some team forum space for you on our own team forums. This is what the last group did, and I still have the archive of their posts stored in the forum.

E-mail me at theone@jediknight.net if you want me to throw something together for you ;) It would at least give you a place to get things going, and you'll have the added benefit of the DFMOD team around to help :)

I emailed you, but haven't heard back yet. If you're wondering, yes, UH is me and I think this is a great idea. ;)
 The_One
07-17-2004, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Shamus
I emailed you, but haven't heard back yet. If you're wondering, yes, UH is me and I think this is a great idea. ;)

Yep, I got your e-mail, but I haven't had a chance to reply yet. This weekend I'll get something sorted out, and mail you back :)
 polardude1983
07-18-2004, 2:57 PM
i was wondering if this mod was for jedi outcast or jedi academy? because half the site says mod for jedi academy, and the other says jedi outcast?
I downloaded the mod and first tried it in jedi academy and it partially works. Then i installed jedi outcast and installed the mod. And it works. But the site is very confusing since you say it is for one game and it is actually for another game.
well the first level looks great cant wait for the rest of it.
 The_One
07-18-2004, 3:59 PM
I am the webmaster, and to my knowledge, it says a "A Mod For Jedi Academy" in every instance on the website. The only place it does not say this is for the demo download, where it is clearly stated it is for Jedi Outcast. It is not my fault if you can't read, but when we moved to Jedi Academy, I went over the website with a fine toothed comb making sure all mentions of "Jedi Outcast" were corrected, with the exception of those where it was neccessary. The title bar says the mod is for JA, the banner says it is for JA, the forum banner says it is for JA, the about page says it is for JA...what more do you want?
 Locutus_of_Borg
07-19-2004, 1:35 AM
Besides which, this thread's for the Dark Forces 2 (aka. Jedi Knight) MOD. This'll probably be for JA as well anyway.
 Vorec
07-19-2004, 4:42 PM
can someone point me in the right direcxtion for making the glow and or transparent textures
 Scythe01
07-20-2004, 4:24 AM
Well I bought Jedi Academy 3 weeks ago and since discovering that there were no completed total conversions I decided that it would be a good time to learn to mod with a Q3 based game so I could help out with TC's and I wanted to make my own little mods of course. Anyway after downloading the SDK, tools, tuts and learning how jedi academy works by inspecting and modifying every file I have come to have a good understanding of it all.

So then I saw this thread and it caught my interest. So I would love to please join the team for Dark Forces 2. I can help with the coding/scripting, modelling and texture creation. I admit I am not a very good character modeller as I have not had much experience modelling characters but I am very good at weapon/item/vehicle modelling and skinning.
 Vorec
07-20-2004, 1:08 PM
for any who are interested a sample colege of my texturing work is up at
http://www.r3-animated.com/vorec/SAMPLE.jpg)
 SlicerDude
07-20-2004, 2:06 PM
Vorec:
It'd be nice to see those samples side by side with the originals (assuming that those are based on JK textures). Looks good, by the way.
 Vorec
07-20-2004, 6:01 PM
blast it i knew i forgot something ill make that modified college up and yes all those 9 were recreations fro the mod i might redo a few of them though
 Shamus
07-22-2004, 8:21 PM
Originally posted by Scythe01
So then I saw this thread and it caught my interest. So I would love to please join the team for Dark Forces 2. I can help with the coding/scripting, modelling and texture creation. I admit I am not a very good character modeller as I have not had much experience modelling characters but I am very good at weapon/item/vehicle modelling and skinning.
I sent you a PM about joining the team--check your private messages! :)
 Scythe01
07-29-2004, 9:55 AM
Shamus did you get my PM
 Shamus
07-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I got it. I was expecting a reply via email--that's why I didn't see it. BTW, I replied via PM, but I really would prefer email. :)
 snes
08-09-2004, 3:25 AM
Is your JK project still alive?
I'm really looking forward to it ;)
 Vorec
08-09-2004, 5:40 PM
not sure bout shamus but im still working on textures at any rate it wont be done for a long time
 Shamus
08-10-2004, 4:33 PM
Yes, the project is still alive, I've just been a little busy with other projects at the moment... If the project ever were to go away (not while I have anything to say about it ;)) there would be a big announcement on the unofficial mod page.

Scythe01: I still haven't gotten an email or PM from you yet. I'm still looking forward to seeing what you've got. :)
 Echuu Shen-Jon
08-15-2004, 3:14 PM
Shamus, did you get my PMs? :)
 Shamus
08-15-2004, 5:24 PM
Yeah, I got 'em. ;) I'm still waiting to hear from The_One about a forum here, but if it doesn't work out I'll prolly take your advice. :)

The_One: Are you around? Did you get my message about the texture tool you guys are using? I'm pretty sure we're going to need to use something like it, especially if the mod gets some more texture artists...
 The_One
08-16-2004, 3:02 PM
I haven't forgotten, just very busy at the moment ;)

I will get round to sorting things out for you, just be patient!
 Scythe01
08-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Im back.... I've been real busy with many things :rolleyes:

I finally got aroung to sending you an email shamus. Hope you get it.

Anyway just thought I would say hi again.
 ScytheX
08-23-2004, 3:58 AM
Well I am officially on the DF2 team:)

Got rid of the 01 at the end of my name. If I can't have scythe then I will settle for this.
 Disco Hips
08-24-2004, 2:23 AM
Hello Shamus

Could I make a small, teensy weensy request. Could you possibly add some updates to the site, say like on a monthly basis? I'm not asking for quantum leaps of achievement each month, but more just a steady trickle of 'what's been happening', kinda like a drip feed. Even if it's just "member X got added this month", etc.

I, as I'm sure others do as well, value and respect what you are doing, it's just that one of the major criticisms of the previous team was that they failed to keep the PR going sufficiently. People either: didn't know they existed, didn't know they were still going, didn't know what stage they were up to, and so on. It was a shame really.

All the best, and please don't take this the wrong way, it's just that these things can live or die by the community (or lack thereof) that gets behind them.
 ScytheX
08-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey Shamus I was just wondering, did reaper (Previous df2 teams Project Leader) ever get back to you about giving us his resources?
 Vorec
08-24-2004, 2:16 PM
sythex we really should work out between us whos going to do what textures ive been working on the nar shadda textuere provided by shamus send me an email at jereth_8@hotmail.com if you want to get in touch

Still working still recreating
Vorec
 Shamus
08-25-2004, 2:02 AM
Disco Hips: Check the website. ;)

Scythe: I haven't heard from Reaper, so the answer to that would be no. :(

Vorec: That's a good idea until we have some sort of texture management software in place. I'll try to coordinate what I can between you two. :)
 Vorec
08-25-2004, 9:43 AM
fair enough shamus i uploaded a couple ive been working on i stil have no idea how to set up aplha channels using photoshop so for now i cant do glw textures
 Karrackoo
08-25-2004, 1:44 PM
Why do you need alpha channels for glow textures?
You must just select the light or the layer with the light and copy them on a black background.
Some gaussian blur filter do the rest.
 ScytheX
08-26-2004, 8:52 AM
Vorec I've sent you an email so we can get in touch. Hope you get it.
 Taters-N-Cheese
08-26-2004, 4:15 PM
I wanna join the mod! I can map (though I'd need help with objectives), skin, edit sabers, some visual effects, a little sound. Anyone have a place for me in this mod? Like several others on this thread, I too had started a mod of this very nature, and I want to help.

Let me know!

Thanks

TATERS
Page: 2 of 5