Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Big Mapping problem!

Page: 1 of 1
 LxG_JaCeNsolo
03-06-2004, 4:05 PM
Hello everyone!

I have been mapping for a little time now and have run into a huge progblem. Besides the fact that the time it takes radient to compile my maps near one of the final settings is multiple hours.
I am now at a point were it wont compile. I get the following error

------setuptraceNodes-----
safe_malloc failed on allocation of 328728576 bytes

I am getting that warning after about 4 hours of compiling and it is in red.
It stops my compile so i cant do anything.
If you could help me with what the problem is and how it can be fixed that would greatly help me.
Thanks for a few moments of your time.

JaCeNsolo
 Prime
03-06-2004, 4:10 PM
You should try the mapping forum instead :)
 Blaster
03-11-2004, 12:03 PM
I copied this from a web-site.

'This error basically means that you’re computer has run out of memory. This could happen at any time during the compile process, but it mainly happens during the vis or lighting stages.

Try restarting you’re computer before you compile the map to free up memory.

Don’t have any programs / applications running in the background, that you don’t need.

Install more physical memory.

Make sure you have at least 1GB of virtual memory (swap files).

Make some of you’re brushes detail because this will decrease compile times.'

Hope this helps

-Blaster
 lassev
03-11-2004, 12:42 PM
If it doesn't help, check this one out:

http://levelforge.teamhuh.com/forgeLink/viewtopic.php?t=326)
 WadeV1589
03-11-2004, 1:37 PM
Are you compiling with -patchmeta? If you are and you have a lot of patches you'll get that.

Also you said after 4 hours it gives you this? Does that mean your BSP and VIS stages are taking a long time? That could also be causing your light stage to crash out like this, if it takes 4 hours to get to that error have you used any detail brushes in your map?

You also should reduce the worldspawn _lightmapscale, use a value of at least 2, if you can use 4 without noticing too much shadow loss, do it.

Also set _gridsize in worldspawn to 128 128 256.

For large maps, _blocksize 2048 2048 2048.
 GothiX
03-11-2004, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
Are you compiling with -patchmeta? If you are and you have a lot of patches you'll get that.

Also you said after 4 hours it gives you this? Does that mean your BSP and VIS stages are taking a long time? That could also be causing your light stage to crash out like this, if it takes 4 hours to get to that error have you used any detail brushes in your map?

You also should reduce the worldspawn _lightmapscale, use a value of at least 2, if you can use 4 without noticing too much shadow loss, do it.

Also set _gridsize in worldspawn to 128 128 256.

For large maps, _blocksize 2048 2048 2048.
..Or just enter -lomem in your compile. Takes a bit longer, but it gets it done.
 WadeV1589
03-11-2004, 4:35 PM
Gothix you know as well as I do -lomem is a work around, not a fix. When it comes to mapping you should fix before you use what is effectively a hack.

And on large maps, that little bit longer can be 45 minutes jumping to 8 hours - which is NO exaggeration.
 Szico
04-01-2004, 3:13 PM
yeah, i tried lomem. never finished .
so i just put lightmap scale to 3
and it ONLY JUST did it wiothout safe_malloc :)
 wedge2211
04-01-2004, 5:36 PM
-lomem is fine if your map is impossible to clean up, or has a lot of patches or something (I needed it for Tal Erulanei due to the really strange things I had to do with struct brushes and patches). But any map that takes 4 hours to compile is...um...either huge and Mad*Dad-detailed and has crazy shaders and is an uber light stage, or it has something wrong with it.
 WadeV1589
04-01-2004, 5:48 PM
It's rare rare cases you really truly need -lomem, if you're using -patchshadows and need the the shadows they cast then consider converting the patches to models and using a shader with a shadeangle specified instead. I did that and got my map to compile due to a lot of patch meshes casting shadows.

_lightmapscale consideration is also good, always set _lightmapscale to 2 when you start mapping a big map and when you need the shadows, increase it then and only then.
Page: 1 of 1