Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kurgan's Meatgrinder - Week-long Carnage (now with DESTROYER goodness!)

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
02-21-2004, 1:05 PM
At long last the server is finally back and working fine!

JOIN NOW @ 63.229.175.212:29070

So feel free to join up for "no rules" action, fun, and the kinds of things you've come to expect from my server.

Settings are game defaults with notable exceptions:

-Saberdamagescale is set to 2!
-Debugmelee is on!
-Idle saber damage is on!
-Bot dueling (turn off one of your saber blades to challenge them) is on!

Uses DDS Ibots, DDS Re-routed, my custom bots and some re-routed CTF maps. Downloading huge mods won't be a problem for people joining this weekend.

Travel the galaxy! Meet new people and frag them! Meet famous LucasForums players (and frag them)! etc.

If you haven't stopped by before, give it a try.

This shameless plug courtesy of me, the admin. ; )
 shukrallah
02-21-2004, 2:54 PM
hmmm... only bots are on right now. i guess ill frag some of them :)
 Kurgan
02-23-2004, 6:58 AM
That's the spirit, and if people see you fragging they might be inclined to join in.

More the merrier! ; )
 IG-64
02-23-2004, 7:11 AM
hey Kurgan, server's lagging again, ping mid 600s

I was on chop shop earlier and my ping was sky high and was lagging, I asked them what was wrong and sure enough "Blame that on the bots" I tabbed and found 2 or 3 bots there.

I'm not sure if that's it or not but all I know is that the meatgrinder is still lagging

*scootles off to the meatgrinder*
 Crow_Nest
02-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Well at least there are some lag improvements ever since he got that new comp, less lag in FFA, but its the same in siege.
 Kurgan
02-23-2004, 5:38 PM
The bots shouldn't make a big difference unless you've got a really low end system I would think.

There will NEVER be more than 3 bots in there at a time (if you have 1 human players, since bot_minplayers is 4 in non Siege games).

So having 3 bots should be no more laggy than having 3 humans, which shouldn't be a problem except for the crappiest of connections (note that the "rate" settings could be jacked up, allowing broadband users with high rates to suck up all the bandwidth, but bots shouldn't be able to do the same).

That isn't to say that lag won't happen, since it obviously does at high traffic times (or if my pc is doing something it's not supposed to like downloading some software update or running some security scan I told it not to do) or with people from different countries (who accept that they can't expect perfect ping on a server that's overseas from them).

Anyway I had to restart recently thinking something was wrong because ASE displays my server as having 9999 ping and I can't scan it even though I can see it in my "local" list and I can also join it and have seen others join with decent pings.

So not sure what's up with that...

Also keep in mind that bursts of lag occur when somebody first joins (as they connect) and especially when they're downloading files off me. I removed the Bonus Pack temporarily because too many people who didn't have it were trying to download it.

I still want people to get my other files (custom bots and bot routes), so I didn't want to disable downloads entirely.
 _PerfectAgent_
02-23-2004, 9:57 PM
If I remember correctly, you don't need to download bots and bot routes as the bot routes are run in the server and bots seem just like another player to a client computer.

There is a bug in the auto download system that causes you to download unnecessary files (skins, custom bots, ect.), so the client players must turn it off to avoid downloading unnecessary files.
 shukrallah
02-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I dont think you have to DL them, but I did anyways.
 Pnut_Man
02-24-2004, 12:29 AM
I love the bots :D

"I roxxorz u fanboyz"

Great stuff...
I really want to pop in as some 1337 honourz player gets 'lamed' by a bot :D
 shukrallah
02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
aww man, i know! I would love to see that :D LOL, they cant tell the difference between bot and player :D The bots are actually a good fight. Right now I only see one in there though :(
 Crow_Nest
02-24-2004, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
aww man, i know! I would love to see that :D LOL, they cant tell the difference between bot and player :D

LOL! I remembered last time in jk2, some guy lamed me because he said some other guy lamed him. So i said: Thats not human thats a bot! :p
 Kurgan
02-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Okay I'm running Siege_Destroyer on the Meatgrinder in a minute, so feel free to grab the mod from LucasFiles.com and join up!
 Kengo
02-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Just had a good game on your server for a bit Kurgan, its a lot of fun, I can see this map being very popular indeed. Was good to see some familiar faces from the forums too :) Sadly, being based in the UK my ping isnt great on a US server and I was around the 300 mark on average - it varied a fair bit, at times I was below 200 and aiming wasn't too bad, othertimes I was up at 400-550 and couldn't really do anything. The other players seemed to be getting better pings, sub 200 on average I guess. Really worth a shot guys, it is much fun!
 Crow_Nest
02-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Okay I'm running Siege_Destroyer on the Meatgrinder in a minute, so feel free to grab the mod from LucasFiles.com and join up!

yeah im still downloading it, i'll drop by tomorrow maybe. Ita late now :)
 Kurgan
02-25-2004, 12:29 PM
It was great to see the familiar faces and newcomers (thanks Kengo!).

I eventually left because I figured I was lagging the server too much and a lot of folks from far off and on dialup were joining.

Early this morning I switched back to regular FFA since only poor Lathain was there and he looked like he left lonely.. : (

But I'll put Destroyer back up for you folks.

Man, I'm sure you'll be impressed when Asteroids comes out, it contains a LOT of improvements that should rub off on Destroyer. ; )
 Prime
02-25-2004, 2:33 PM
Hopefully I will be able to give this a try tonight. Hope to see you all there :)
 yolkboy
02-26-2004, 4:36 AM
I wish I can join you but it seems like my pings are off the chart tonight. In the 500's for many servers.... You wouldn't suspect that I'm on a T3 line either. Jeez our network is slow! I blame the servers!
 Crow_Nest
02-26-2004, 9:15 AM
Errr. How come i dont see anyone in your server? Most of the time there are only bots. :confused:
 Marcus(JSA)
02-26-2004, 1:11 PM
Your server is off-line?!?!
 SkinWalker
02-26-2004, 1:55 PM
ALL RIGHT!!

I thought I was going to have to sell JA in a yard sale! But since the Meatgrinder is back up, I'll hang on to it for a while longer ;)

Hopefully, I'll be able to jump on tonight.... much writing to do though.....

Cya!
:cool:
 Kurgan
02-26-2004, 5:51 PM
Alright Skin, glad to have you back. ; )

As to the server being offline, I don't know what's up with ASE, it isn't showing it pingable, even though I can SEE people playing on it.

Right now it's down for a bit, but I'll bring it back up shortly.

Oddly enough it seems like if I leave the server up for a few hours it mysteriously disconnects me (my ISP) and I have to physically reboot everything to get it working again. (*SIGH*... probably that evil MSN again.. )

Crow, as to why you don't see anyone in the server, that's because when I set it to SIEGE I kick the bots out, since they are totally useless on vehicle based maps anyway. If you don't see any human players, all I can say is be patient and people will join. You can't expect it to be always full, it all depends on what people are doing at that time of the day.
 Crow_Nest
02-27-2004, 4:06 AM
Crow, as to why you don't see anyone in the server, that's because when I set it to SIEGE I kick the bots out, since they are totally useless on vehicle based maps anyway. If you don't see any human players, all I can say is be patient and people will join. You can't expect it to be always full, it all depends on what people are doing at that time of the day.

Your server wasnt running siege at that time, it was FFA..... Most of the time........
 Kurgan
02-27-2004, 8:08 AM
I turned on voting, in case people got tired of siege, and so they apparently voted to switch to FFA.

You can always vote to switch it back. Again sorry I rarely use voting...
 Kurgan
02-27-2004, 1:46 PM
Good game guys, lots of fun. I had to reduce the max players to 6 and reduce the maxrate to 4000.

People STILL whine endlessly about lag, but oh well, can't do anything about it.

One guy even accused me of being on "56k."

Heh, if only he knew... ; )

People have no patience, they don't realize how bandwidth intensive vehicle combat can be. Just doing the best I can here. And yet I still get people demanding to argue with me and yell "lag" every second (little realizing that this sort of thing just makes it worse). Then they are shocked I'm the admin, as if they didn't see my name on the server! ; p

Anyway, great games!
 Crow_Nest
02-27-2004, 1:55 PM
Good game guys, lots of fun. I had to reduce the max players to 6 and reduce the maxrate to 4000.

People STILL whine endlessly about lag, but oh well, can't do anything about it.

One guy even accused me of being on "56k."

Heh, if only he knew... ; )

People have no patience, they don't realize how bandwidth intensive vehicle combat can be. Just doing the best I can here. And yet I still get people demanding to argue with me and yell "lag" every second (little realizing that this sort of thing just makes it worse). Then they are shocked I'm the admin, as if they didn't see my name on the server! ; p

Anyway, great games!

G00d g@m3! :D

Yeah, when you left everyone was complaining about the lag attack. Well now that you've changed the ping thingy, lets see if theres some imrpovement. :)
 Kurgan
02-28-2004, 11:59 PM
I haven't really had the desire to keep updating all my little posts reminding people the server is back up but here's another.

It's 7:24pm CST now and the server has been up for awhile (after a break for some testing and other stuff). Siege Destroyer has pretty much all I've been running lately which hasn't garnered any complaints so far...

Soon perhaps I'll have some other things to add to the rotation, so stay tuned!
Page: 1 of 1