Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A guide to "new area" creation

Page: 1 of 2
 gameunlimited
02-09-2004, 11:34 PM
The title might be a little misleading. What I mean by new area is actually the existing area, only with new placable items and/or creature. An example of this kind of "new area" is the Survival Battle mod (downloadable at my small website, see my sig). It uses the existing Mystery Box area but now it no longer has the rakatan riddle guy. Replacing him, I put the computer terminal instead that spawns the darkjedis.

This guide will not be too deep. Instead I am just hoping that this small guide can help the new modders to access more than changing items and appearances.

******NOTE******
If some of these links are not working, try typing them manually on the address bar. Some of them may not work if you click on them but will work if you type it up.

First of all, you need these following tools:
1. GFFEditor by Roboius downloadable at http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/other/data/1054162676171.shtml)

2. Kotor Tools by Fred Tetra http://home.comcast.net/~armada/kotor_tool.zip)

3. ERF Editor http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/erf_download.html)

I will not go through the little details on how to use these programs as they are quite straight forward.

A new area is actually a module. The most basic area/module must consists of at least three files. These files are however combined into a single .mod file (or .rim files. KotOR recognizes both). Take a look at this file for example: http://webpages.charter.net/alvintamsir/misc/lastbattle.mod) Open it up using the ERF Editor. As you can see, the lastbattle.mod file actually consists of three different files, namely: module.ifo, m45ad.git, and m45ad.are.

Now try and copy the lastbattle.mod file into your MODULES directory, NOT the override directory. Now go into the game and load any game. The use the cheat and type "warp lastbattle". As you can see, you will be teleported into the last battle room. However, Malak and the captive jedis are not there. Instead of malak, Bastila is now standing there.

I will go step by step now to explain it further. First of all, whenever you load an area or module, the game will search the MODULES directory for a file under such name. In this case it was looking for a file named lastbattle.mod. Once the game finds it, the first file that it looks in the module is always the file "module.ifo". It contains the basic settings of that particual mod. Using the ERF editor, extract the three files into a new directory (do not put these files into the Override directory as they may crash the game). Use GFF Editor to take a look at the "module.ifo" file.

module.ifo
I will not go through all the various data fields in this file, instead I will just point out the important ones.

Mod_Tag = this has to be the same as the name of the file (excluding the .mod extension)
Mod_Entry_Area = determines which area file should be loaded if a player enters this area (i.e. typing "warp lastbattle" in the cheat). This will bring to the next file which is the area file.

Area files have the extensions .are. In this example, the file is "m45ad.are". Let's go back to the module.ifo file. Remember what was the value in the field "Mod_Entry_Area"? Exactly, it was m45ad. So basically it was referring that the game should load this "m45ad.are" file once the module is loaded. Some of the important fields in this file is the OnExit, OnEnter, and OnHeartbeat. You can put the name of scripts here that will be executed during certain times. You can disregard about this for now. I will not cover this in detail in this post.

Now the last file is rather important, the "m45ad.git" file. This .git file basically states what are the objects that are present in the area file. So, basically it can be tought as this: the "m45ad.are" contains the info regarding the area such as lighting, day night cycle, etc; while the "m45ad.git" contains the dynamics items such as creature, containers, and other items.

m45ad.git
Open this file using the GFFEditor. The fields in this file are pretty much self explanatory.

Creature List - Lists the creature, including NPC, monsters, and enemies.
Door List - Lists all the doors
Encounter List - Lists the random encounter creature. and example would be those tigers that you found on Danttoine on the open lands.
Placable List - Lists containers, items, decorative items, computer panels, workbench and many others. These items may or may not be interacted by the PCs depending on the items itself.
Trigger List - Lists the various scripting triggers. An example would be "When you pass a certain area, initiate the script for a certain dialog".
Waypoint List - I do not recommend you to touch anything here as it may messes up the pathing AI of enemies and party members too.

An example, take a look at the Creature List. Under there, there is a subtree "0", which has another subtree "TemplateResRef". Before edited, the value should be "sta45_darthmalak". This refers to the creature blueprint of Malak. However, as you can see, I changed it into "p_bastilla". that is why you see her instead. X,Y, and Z Position are the position in which the creature will be put. One easy way to know the location of a certain spot is to load the game, and type "whereami" in the cheat console. It should give you back the coordinate of that spot.

As you can see in out example file, Placable lists and the Door lists are all empty. I deleted them. Now you can compare it with this file: http://webpages.charter.net/alvintamsir/misc/sta_m45ad.mod)

This is the unmodified version of the same room. You can see how there are so many items under the Placable lists. Those are the captive jedis. Just compare and contrast the two files, you should be able to figure out more things. You can find the list of a lot of placable items and npc characters using kotor tools. They are found in the BIFs --> Templates. .utC files are Character blueprint files while .utP files are placable items.

Once you have edited these files, you can compile them back into a single .mod file using the ERF Editor. Place this new file into the MODULES directory and use the warp command. Remember that the name of the file mod file has to match the Mod_Tag field in the module.ifo file.

If you want to see the various existing areas in the game, use Kotor Tools and open the RIMs --> Modules. It has all the different areas that are found in the game. These modules may also contains .utc files and .utp files.

Once you mastered these, you can move on to learn scripting. I will try to make the small guide also for that if I have time.

That's about it. Hope it helps some of you guys. And as always, correct me if there is anything wrong. I am not an expert programmer nor modder myself. ;) If you have any question, I will gladly try my best to help.
 T7nowhere
02-10-2004, 2:49 AM
hey gameunlimited. This is a good intro to modual making I read though and I allready figuered that stuff out :cool: , but what I do need to know is what you used to make the .mod file maybe you mantioned and i just passed by it. I guess I could search bioware dev section ,but I thought it would be easyer for me :D if you just told me.

:deathstar
 Sunslayer
02-10-2004, 3:22 AM
SO do you think using this you could replace everything in the current enviroments in order to make a new story?
 gameunlimited
02-10-2004, 1:36 PM
Sunslayer: Definitely you can, but of course it will take a load of work! You can create new NPC with new dialogs, then put them up wherever you wish to create new story.

T7nowhere: I used the ERF Editor from Bioware to make the mod files. It is capable of compiling ERF and HAK files too. Check the download list from my post above.
 Prime
02-10-2004, 5:25 PM
Thanks for posting this, gameunlimited!
 Fred Tetra
02-10-2004, 11:25 PM
gameunlimited - You should now be able to use Kotor tool to view your .mod files if they're in the Modules directory. I added this feature last night just because I thought you could use it :)
 gameunlimited
02-11-2004, 2:49 AM
oh most definitely :) this is a very great addition to your tool
 SSJ3Goku
02-20-2004, 7:52 PM
I can't download your file even though i did what you said it wouldn't work.
 gameunlimited
02-20-2004, 8:11 PM
I am sorry. I recently moved my file server and have not change the link of these files properly. I just changed it to the new location, should be downloadable now. Just go to the link above again. You don't have to type it up manually this time, just click on it will do.
 Sunslayer
02-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Just an idea for anybody looking to make a new area, a sidewuest for a part charcter that doesn't have one, like Jolee, HK-47, T3-M4, or maybe an additional sidequest for another character would be easy to set on Bespin, just make a small space statoin area like the Yavin one, but a bit bigger (or maybe a lot bigger), use the Manaan look, nad make the outside look like clouds, and you have a little Cloud City. :)
 T7nowhere
02-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Sunslayer
Just an idea for anybody looking to make a new area, a sidewuest for a part charcter that doesn't have one, like Jolee, HK-47, T3-M4, or maybe an additional sidequest for another character would be easy to set on Bespin, just make a small space statoin area like the Yavin one, but a bit bigger (or maybe a lot bigger), use the Manaan look, nad make the outside look like clouds, and you have a little Cloud City. :)

That would be cool, but no more fishy men. :) How could the water be changed into clouds though. I think that would be difficult to do sinse we can directly change the area layout.
Still it would be sweet.
 Darth Khasei
06-15-2004, 8:31 PM
GUnlmited, you "ARE" a modder bro. A damm good one at that. Survival Maxtrix mod ROCKS!
 Drog
06-16-2004, 2:35 PM
Is there a way to edit .utc files without using kotor tools editor? .. thx in forway...
 Darth333
06-16-2004, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by Drog
Is there a way to edit .utc files without using kotor tools editor? .. thx in forway...

GFF editor. Look at my sticky: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129789) I give you three choices.
 Drog
06-16-2004, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
GFF editor. Look at my sticky: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129789) I give you three choices.

Heh sorry doesent work... something wrong with my GFF editor btw i am downloading a new one instead. Thx
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 4:49 AM
where can i find other areas koz i want to make holomaan(which is mannaan dedicated to holowan labs... just like so many other ppl have done :))

*edit* ok i found it (note to self.. remember to look before assuming it isnt ther) :D lol
 Doom_Dealer
06-18-2004, 5:16 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord Re\/an
where can i find other areas koz i want to make holomaan(which is mannaan dedicated to holowan labs... just like so many other ppl have done :))

*edit* ok i found it (note to self.. remember to look before assuming it isnt ther) :D lol

i think ive started a trend here, first Drog's starting a holowan tribute, now you :) well, good look with it, its quite a good introduction to module making, as it requires not very complex dialogues or scripts, and its a springboard to the more complicated stuff.
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 6:01 AM
thanx... i think ill need it ive only been modding for like 2 weeks...

*edit*Will it still read the file if i change the .are file and the .git files to holomaan.are and holomaan.git... then i changed the mod_entry_area to holomaan... and then i typed "warp holomaan" after that it went to the loading/saving screen, when it was saving the game crashed... any thoughts on how to fix that?
 Darth333
06-18-2004, 10:20 AM
thanx... i think ill need it ive only been modding for like 2 weeks...

*edit*Will it still read the file if i change the .are file and the .git files to holomaan.are and holomaan.git... then i changed the mod_entry_area to holomaan... and then i typed "warp holomaan" after that it went to the loading/saving screen, when it was saving the game crashed... any thoughts on how to fix that?
You don't need to change the names of the .git , .ifo and .are files. When you build your module with the ERF builder, then you can call your module holomaan.mod and warp there if you want.
You can also attach the following script to a convo or create a dialog with an object to be teleported there without using a cheat ;) :

void main()
{
StartNewModule("holomaan"));
}

use the same method to go back to where you where.
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 10:23 AM
k... ill try that later as for now im trying to make a new model.. sofar... not at all successful :(
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 11:33 AM
but wouldent keeping them the same change the original ingame... or does it just sit as a new area???
 Darth333
06-18-2004, 11:40 AM
but wouldent keeping them the same change the original ingame... or does it just sit as a new area???
Evrything is packed in a .mod file that has a new name. If your module name is different, then the game will treat it as a new area.
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 11:46 AM
ok thanx :cool:
 StormTrooper789
06-23-2004, 4:01 PM
I am making a module named custom01. Nice Name huh? :)
Now I'm goinf to make the module for all the scripts and everything else. Do I need to name it custom01_s.mod because I do not know what to put before the _s.mod.

_s.rim files have all the resources for the module in case u didn't know.
 Darth333
06-23-2004, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
I am making a module named custom01. Nice Name huh? :)
Now I'm goinf to make the module for all the scripts and everything else. Do I need to name it custom01_s.mod because I do not know what to put before the _s.mod.

_s.rim files have all the resources for the module in case u didn't know.

You can name your module whatever you want, even "stormtrooper789.mod"
When you build the ERF, just include all the files you need in the package: the .are, .git, .ifo files, .ncs, .dlg, placeables, etc...
 StormTrooper789
06-23-2004, 4:16 PM
K thx.

I didn't know since all the official modules have a _s.rim part.
 StormTrooper789
06-23-2004, 9:17 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(
=====================
I can't insert new objects into the *.git file that have XYZ coordinates that i got from the whereami cheat. If I make a new object and use the XYZ coordinates that are used by something else it works. Can someone give me a solution? The new object doesn't show up!
 Darth Fett
10-10-2004, 8:55 AM
:( One of these links no longer works...
 Darth333
10-10-2004, 9:57 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fett
:( One of these links no longer works...

Next time, indicate which link doesn't work. So far, the only link I found that was not working was the one for Kotor tool. You can check my Guide for the newbie (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129789) to get it (or the tools and mods sticky (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122049)). Since the time Gameunlimited made his tutorial, a lot of new tools have been released. You will find them classified by mod category in the guide for the neewbie (there is an area creation category).
 MTV2
10-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Too bad are Tusken Raider, Gameunlimited, left:( , he could update it alot
 Darth333
10-10-2004, 12:15 PM
All the info given by GU is still valid. The only difference is that now you have some tools to make your life easier. Per example, you no longer have to edit dialogues with a GFF editor since we have dlg editors. You can also edit many of the files directly with Kotor Tool and , depending on which area you are working, use KT's area editor.

There is also another guide by Doom Dealer.
 Doom_Dealer
10-10-2004, 2:16 PM
Download: http://doomdealer.tripod.com/)

-links at the top of the page!
 MTV2
10-11-2004, 1:23 PM
your module creation thing?

ya, I have that and its great, read the whole, followed all the steps, now, I just need to test it when my game starts working:rolleyes:
 Darth Fett
10-11-2004, 3:36 PM
Does anyone have the complete proper link to the NWN Editor? The tutorial only gives this (in a non link form)
http://users.servicios.retecal.es/f...l/NwNEditor.zip)

Thanks.
 Darth333
10-11-2004, 5:44 PM
Originally posted by Darth Fett
Does anyone have the complete proper link to the NWN Editor? The tutorial only gives this (in a non link form)
http://users.servicios.retecal.es/f...l/NwNEditor.zip)

Thanks.

All the links are in the Guide for the Newbie sticky at the top of this page. But a lot of this stuff can now be done directly with Kotor tool (the Guide for the Newbie indicates the latest tools that you can use)
 Xavier2
11-30-2004, 4:38 PM
I still can't figure how doors work in new areas. It is pretty straight forward to make a door allowing you to get out of an area, but how and where can i place specific coordinates when the PC's are entering a new area?
 Darth333
11-30-2004, 4:55 PM
Originally posted by Xavier2
I still can't figure how doors work in new areas. It is pretty straight forward to make a door allowing you to get out of an area, but how and where can i place specific coordinates when the PC's are entering a new area?

Look at the 3rd and 6th posts on the 2nd page of this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130451&perpage=40&pagenumber=2)

if there is something you don't understand, then don't hesitate to post your questions :)
 sketch42
01-24-2005, 7:03 PM
ok i tried this out and it worked :D

just one thing... i used the ruins on dantooine for my test and i placed malak where the ancient droid was .. so i see him and fight him and one swipe he was dead... the feedback said that his defense was 12 and that his VP was 32 ????
 Darth333
01-24-2005, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by sketch42
ok i tried this out and it worked :D

just one thing... i used the ruins on dantooine for my test and i placed malak where the ancient droid was .. so i see him and fight him and one swipe he was dead... the feedback said that his defense was 12 and that his VP was 32 ????

That would rather be a problem with the .utc file you used rather than aarea editing. In what module did you picked up the Malak .utc?
 sketch42
01-24-2005, 7:15 PM
That would rather be a problem with the .utc file you used rather than aarea editing. In what module did you picked up the Malak .utc?

BIFs>Templates>Blueprint Character
 Darkkender
01-24-2005, 9:13 PM
BIFs>Templates>Blueprint Character

Likely that is the utc either for cutscene's or is there for an example case of malak. What you should look in is one of the starforge rim files probably deck 4 and look for one titled something like sta_malak.utc that would be a better challenge.
 sketch42
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Likely that is the utc either for cutscene's or is there for an example case of malak. What you should look in is one of the starforge rim files probably deck 4 and look for one titled something like sta_malak.utc that would be a better challenge.

whenever i take any utc from the rims section nothing spawns
 RedHawke
01-24-2005, 11:19 PM
whenever i take any utc from the rims section nothing spawns
This is likely caused by the .utc's tag and templateresref not matching what your module or script is calling for, you will have to edit those to match what you are calling for then they should appear fine. :)
 sketch42
01-24-2005, 11:34 PM
no i checked the name took the easiest to spell too lol
here look
http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/Untitled_1_copy.gif)
 ChAiNz.2da
01-25-2005, 12:47 AM
no i checked the name took the easiest to spell too lol
here look
http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/Untitled_1_copy.gif)
Did you try the sta_45darthmalak.utc

RIMS > Modules > sta_m45ad_s.rim - Deck 4 [Star Forge] > Blueprint, Character

I noticed it had the "darth" prefix, and looking over the stats seems to be the one you wind up fighting in the 'finale'...

The .utc you have pictured, Malak has but a normal red lightsaber, 13 strength and 8 max hitpoints

the "darth" pre-fix has the uber-saber, 29 strength, and 307 max hitpoints
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 6:38 AM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Did you try the sta_45darthmalak.utc

RIMS > Modules > sta_m45ad_s.rim - Deck 4 [Star Forge] > Blueprint, Character

I noticed it had the "darth" prefix, and looking over the stats seems to be the one you wind up fighting in the 'finale'...

The .utc you have pictured, Malak has but a normal red lightsaber, 13 strength and 8 max hitpoints

the "darth" pre-fix has the uber-saber, 29 strength, and 307 max hitpoints

yea i tried that but without the .utc extension and nothing was there

heres everything i did...

i found the dantooine ruins .... extracted the mod file with KT and proceded to Decompile with the ERF editor , copied and put my new are. ifo and git in a new folder (so as to ave a backup)..

opened GFF editor and edited the Mod_Tag only to say sketch. saved and closed
opened the .git file in the GFF editor and changed the ancientdroid in the creatures list to sta_45darthmalak

Recfompiled all files with ERF editor and named the Mod file sketch ... placed it in the modules folder in kotor directory and it didnt work... i ended up deleting the rest of the creatures in the creature list as they never showed up anyway

now i noticed that no UTCs from RIM work ... only the ones found in BIF

and now im stuck
 Darth333
01-25-2005, 7:14 AM
Is the sta_45darthmalak.utc file in your new module or in your override folder?

The other thing you can check is the Field ID as explained here. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1571939#post1571939) (the post is about doors but it works the same way with all the objects you add to the .git file)
 sketch42
01-25-2005, 7:20 AM
Is the sta_45darthmalak.utc file in your new module or in your override folder?

The other thing you can check is the Field ID as explained here. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1571939#post1571939) (the post is about doors but it works the same way with all the objects you add to the .git file)

??? the utc file i never extracted... i was assumming from the tut that the game will see the function im calling and grab it from its appropriate place

so where should i put the utc

can i compile it with the Mod file???
 Darth333
01-25-2005, 7:27 AM
Yes, it's the best solution. It keeps the override folder clean and it avoids overwriting other files which may have the same name or tag.
 Darkkender
01-25-2005, 7:53 AM
??? the utc file i never extracted... i was assumming from the tut that the game will see the function im calling and grab it from its appropriate place

so where should i put the utc

When you plan to use a utc file that is only listed within a specific RIM file you have to extract it because that means as far as the game is concerned it only exists within that RIM. If something is not within the BIF files that is a resource you intend to use then it will be Module specific for each RIM file and need to be extracted from the RIM.
Page: 1 of 2