Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What do you do first when you map?

Page: 1 of 1
 LordP
01-23-2004, 2:08 PM
I was just wondering, but what do yo guys do after you make the structural brushes? Do work on the inside of the map? Or do you do lights or what?
 lassev
01-23-2004, 3:52 PM
I have a habit of building one room at a time, so after the initial wall, ceiling and floor brushes I start to make the walls, ceiling and floor more varied. So, I build pillars, niches, all kind of support elements, and such things. After I'm somewhat satisfied with them, I just start to make the details inside the room one at a time. I often, depending how complicate they are, texture them right away after that.

After some detailing is in place, I texture the walls and ceiling and floor, if I haven't done that already earlier, but often it's after the initial detailing. At this stage I often do the first compile, and for that I of course need some sort of light entities in place.

Last I will make the more complicated func_ entities. And even after that I will place the more abstract funcs like target_speakers and target_scriptrunners and such.

If I need new textures or shaders, I usually make them just before I need them... So, I don't really plan that beforehand very well...
 GothiX
01-23-2004, 6:06 PM
I draw, just draw.. Usually make something abstract. I stare at it for a long time, and think up a map in that style. I draw out a basic plan, map that, and add detail where I think it's needed and appropriate.

I know, I'm crazy, but it works!
 wedge2211
01-23-2004, 9:10 PM
What lassev said.
 gotcha8903
01-24-2004, 1:35 AM
my "technique" is to make a room withy everything caulked, add more rooms to that. then i apply textures, test it out, and repeat that until most of the map is done. then i add the details.
 Kengo
01-24-2004, 1:01 PM
I tend to draw bits and pieces, ideas and vague layouts on paper. Then I map the basic design (often caulked) before trying to add a bunch of textures, then detailing. If its SP, NPC and item placements etc tends to come nearer the end.
Page: 1 of 1